Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

No surprises that Detroit, a film about how awful white people are, is getting overlooked in all areas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A few firsts:

- Nolan's first nomination
    - Johnny Greenwood's first nomination
    - First woman nominated for Best Cinematographer
    - First screenplay nomination for a superhero film?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Get Out and Greta Gerwig are big prices on Paddy Power.

Would it be an idea to throw on a bet? I have a feeling the GGs was only the start of Hollywood's back patting love in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Get Out was a big surprise for any nomination let alone Best Picture. Good film but Oscar worthy didnt enter my mind at all when I went to see it !

It's a well written horror movie, clever and fun and nicely played by the cast. I really liked it. I also saw 3 or 4 other horror films at that high standard last year.

But it's also a timely and topical movie for American audiences so that's the reason for the fuss. The cynical part of me says Oscar has to be seen to do the right thing here.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

A few firsts:

- Johnny Greenwood's first nomination
    - First woman nominated for Best Cinematographer
    - First screenplay nomination for a superhero film?

This is Nolan's first? Hadn't realised that at all. Knew about Logan being the first super hero screenplay nom alright, delighted to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

A few firsts:

For Best Director, you mean? He's been nominated for Screenplay twice before.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mickeroo wrote: »
    This is Nolan's first? Hadn't realised that at all. Knew about Logan being the first super hero screenplay nom alright, delighted to see it.

It is his first for directing, he was nominated for screenplay before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

MfMan wrote: »
    Denzel Washington, who tends to auto-pilot through every movie, seems to be the male Streep.
    61788038.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

13 nominations for the Shape of water...including the big ones. That’s really weird. I mean it’s good but not brilliant.
    I can see Get Out claiming everything it’s uo for cos yknow, politics.

But I hope against hope that Call me by your name takes it. Such a beautiful film.

Can’t see anyone touching Oldman in best actor. Be a real shocker if he didn’t win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

There is no way Get Out should be nominated, it was a total B movie with a silly scifi ending, for me it was good(for a B movie) but not oscar worthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think after Portman and Streisand's comment on female directors at the Globes that may help Gerwig with the nomination and potential win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I haven't see all of the oscar nominated movies but I really don't get this oscar love in for Get Out. I liked the movie and Daniel Kaluuya gave a good breakthrough performance but neither are nomination worthy think it smacks a bit of ticking the diversity box.

I think The Disaster Artist and Franco were always going to get snubbed by 'The Academy' for a comedy movie like that irrespective of his 'allegations'

Armie Hammer's performance in Call Me by Your Name was as important and exceptional as Timothée Chalamet in making that wonderful movie what it was so that's a serious snub for not receiving a Best Supporting Actor nomination. I liked Christopher Plummer performance but that nomination appears to a pat on the back for taking Spacey's role at short notice.

The Florida Project should have got a best picture nomination that's another snub I don't understand when Darkest Hour and Lady Bird are receiving questionable reviews

if I was involved with Get Out and we won, I’d be pissed off. It literally is tokenism to suit the current political climate. It’s a really interesting movie. It is not best picture worthy in any way. It would be a hollow victory.

Same for Saoirse. She’s been in far better films and way more worthy roles. If she wins for this (she won’t but..) I think she’ll be bummed out. .

david75 wrote: »
    if I was involved with Get Out and we won, I’d be pissed off. It literally is tokenism to suit the current political climate. It’s a really interesting movie. It is not best picture worthy in any way. It would be a hollow victory.

Same for Saoirse. She’s been in far better films and way more worthy roles. If she wins for this (she won’t but..) I think she’ll be bummed out. .

It’s not Saoirse’s year to win. She’s grand, I see her having a great career. She’ll get one eventually.

As for ‘Get Out’, I was a tad disappointed by it but it is very highly regarded. I don’t think it’s fair to suggest that it’s only doing well because of the current political climate. It certainly makes a statement but the quality is there to back it up. Nice to see a not totally earnest, worthy film be nominated in the Best Film category. And a horror to boot.

Having said that, I didn’t think that Daniel Kalauuya’s performance was that strong and certainly not worthy of a Best Actor nomination.

And lastly, the Oscars have always been a byword for mediocrity. Why are people surprised at great films being snubbed? Sometimes great films are nominated, sometimes they win. Sometimes. Usually not though. The Academy generally can’t past earnest, stodgy fare. It was literally ever thus. Pick five years at random since the awards were given out. Check out the nominations for those years. I bet there will be mostly long-forgotten films.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    And lastly, the Oscars have always been a byword for mediocrity. Why are people surprised at great films being snubbed? Sometimes great films are nominated, sometimes they win. Sometimes. Usually not though. The Academy generally can’t past earnest, stodgy fare. It was literally ever thus. Pick five years at random since the awards were given out. Check out the nominations for those years. I bet there will be mostly long-forgotten films.

I can’t remember which films but Shakespeare in love’s best picture win was over a raft of far more deserving films. Certain movie podcasts I listen to are still up in arms about it.
    Wouldn’t call them them byword for mediocrity. I know someone that won an Oscar and it literally changed their entire life and gave them a massively successful career.
    They do matter in public and movie land minds regardless of the academy being middle of the road quite often. Nothing really matters more in that arena.

david75 wrote: »
    I can’t remember which films but Shakespeare in love’s best picture win was over a raft of far more deserving films. Certain movie podcasts I listen to are still up in arms about it.
    Wouldn’t call them them byword for mediocrity. I know someone that won an Oscar and it literally changed their entire life and gave them a massively successful career.
    They do matter in public and movie land minds regardless of the academy being middle of the road quite often. Nothing really matters more in that arena.

I mean that the films picked are rarely the best of the year. Shakespeare In Love being a great example. Forrest fecking Gump beating Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption (which wouldn’t be for me but is still a classic). Ordinary People beating Raging Bull. The fact that comedies generally aren’t considered worthy (Annie Hall and Dog Day Afternoon being notable exceptions) The Oscars has had this reputation for a long time. I’m sure it IS life-changing for people who win one. It holds a lot of cachet for whatever reason. But that doesn’t change its reputation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

6 new rules to prevent repeat of Moonlight/La La Land Oscars envelope gaffe:
    — The addition of a third balloting partner, who will sit with Oscar producers in the show’s control room. Just like the balloting partners stationed on either side of the Dolby Theatre stage, this person will have a complete set of winners’ envelopes and commit the winners to memory. “Think of it as a safety control,” Ryan said.

— The two partners who worked on last year’s Academy Awards have been replaced, though Ryan confirms that both still work for PwC. The new stage-side partners overseeing the envelopes will include Rick Rosas, who previously worked in that post for 14 years, and colleague Kimberly Bourdon from the company’s Los Angeles office.

— A new formal procedure is in place for when envelopes are handed over. Both the celebrity presenter and a stage manager will confirm that they’ve been given the correct envelope for the category they are about to present. (Last year’s gaffe occurred when the PwC representative accidentally gave presenters the envelope for best actress rather than best picture.)

— All three balloting partners will attend show rehearsals and practice what to do if something goes wrong. “Because, as you’re well aware, it took a long time to respond last year when there was a mistake that we made,” Ryan said. “So we’re formally practicing the what-ifs.”

– The final change is one the academy immediately instituted last year: PwC partners are prohibited from using cellphones or social media during the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

I mean that the films picked are rarely the best of the year. Shakespeare In Love being a great example. Forrest fecking Gump beating Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption (which wouldn’t be for me but is still a classic). Ordinary People beating Raging Bull. The fact that comedies generally aren’t considered worthy (Annie Hall and Dog Day Afternoon being notable exceptions) The Oscars has had this reputation for a long time. I’m sure it IS life-changing for people who win one. It holds a lot of cachet for whatever reason. But that doesn’t change its reputation.

Everyone looks at things differently; 'Shakepeare..' wasn't everyone's favourite but I thought it was well done and great fun. For me, 'Saving Private Ryan' was tedious for stretches and begged the question why would anyone go to such trouble to save the awful Matt Damon? The greatest travesty in recent times was surely that twee teeny romance Titanic beating the quite brilliant LA Confidential. Unconscionable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Really is time to end gender awards. When there were two categories for cinematography, set design and costume design (colour and B&W) it made sense as there are distinct technical and artistic differences but acting is acting is acting.

MfMan wrote: »
    Everyone looks at things differently; 'Shakepeare..' wasn't everyone's favourite but I thought it was well done and great fun. For me, 'Saving Private Ryan' was tedious for stretches and begged the question why would anyone go to such trouble to save the awful Matt Damon? The greatest travesty in recent times was surely that twee teeny romance Titanic beating the quite brilliant LA Confidential. Unconscionable.

But, see, somebody else could say “I thought Titanic was well done.”! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There is no way Get Out should be nominated, it was a total B movie with a silly scifi ending, for me it was good(for a B movie) but not oscar worthy.

This is the reason I want it to win (though I think it's a smarter film than you're making out). The academy are pretty snobby towards genre movies, would be nice for a horror movie to steal some of the gongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MatthewCurtis

[font=arial, sans-serif][font=arial, sans-serif]According to rumors, I learned that "Wonder Woman" will not be nominated for an Oscar, it seems the film academy is waiting for trouble from the fans[/font]

[/font]

Forrest Gump is a hilarious film, a brilliant original piece of work. Ordinary people is also a brilliant film for other reasons. Pulp and Shawshank and RB were also exceptional but there is certainly no chasm or lack of quality in the ones that won.

If you go back to the 60's and 70's you often had 5 incredible films going up against each other, and it comes down to taste, not really lack of quality.
    The only crime I thought in best film was last year, as I had turned off Moonlight after and hour because it was a cliche. Apparently it becomes great after that, but I think given the first hours mediocrity it won for political reasons only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Really is time to end gender awards. When there were two categories for cinematography, set design and costume design (colour and B&W) it made sense as there are distinct technical and artistic differences but acting is acting is acting.

Good point. Should be 3 acting awards.

Lead Actor.
    Supporting Actor.
    Ensemble Cast (where the Casting Director get's the Oscar itself).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

valoren wrote: »
    Good point. Should be 3 acting awards.

Lead Actor.
    Supporting Actor.
    Ensemble Cast (where the Casting Director get's the Oscar itself).

That would cause huge problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

If you go back to the 60's and 70's you often had 5 incredible films going up against each other, and it comes down to taste, not really lack of quality.
    The only crime I thought in best film was last year, as I had turned off Moonlight after and hour because it was a cliche. Apparently it becomes great after that, but I think given the first hours mediocrity it won for political reasons only.

The 70s was a real golden era of American film IMO. But even then there were some questionable Best Picture decisions on Oscar night....
    Rocky beating out Taxi Driver, Network and All the President's Men comes to mind. Rocky is entertaining stuff, but hardly that great....

Kramer v Kramer chosen ahead of Apocalypse Now and All that Jazz was another odd one.

To me the Oscars are more about momentum and how well you're liked within the business - rather than a true selection of the best films in a given year

Advertisement