Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

He mentioned her in his speech at the BAFTAs.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Christ that’s the blandest list of winners of the big awards in many years, a few good choices in areas such as screenplay aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

Paul Whittington of the Indo gonna do his nut over Rockwell's win.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

Glad to see Sam Rockwell win. Always liked him in the past and can sometimes be the best part of a movie even when its utter **** His speech wasn't in any way Self-congratulatory as you'd see from so many other and he seems a pretty down to earth guy.

Rachel Shenton Mitzee from hollyoaks won an Oscar along with her husband for best short and she was great on hollyoaks a show where a lot of the cast really can grate on you so I was more than happy for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I thought 'The Shape of Water' was one of the weakest films in the Best Film category. I had a feeling 'Three Billboards...' (my personal choice) might not win based on the fact Martin McDonagh was snubbed in the Director's category, but I would have preferred almost any of the other films to win over the one that did (I haven't seen Darkest Hour however).

Oh well, the whole ceremony itself was rather staid I thought. I thought Kimmel was much weaker as host than he was last year, although given what has gone on in the industry over the last 12 months, I suppose he was kind of restrained in the material he could use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Rjd2 wrote: »
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-oscar-for-best-picture-goes-to-something-you-probably-didnt-see-1519913515?mod=e2tw

Not the most ground breaking of articles, but its interesting the oscars have got slightly more niche over the years. It probably also explains why ratings continue to plunge.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/oscar-ratings-down-all-time-low-viewership-1202310775/

Ratings could be an all time low.

Its amusing that I read people sneer at Get Out, saying its not an oscar movie and only getting elevated due to the times we live in. Its actually much more interesting than many of the supposedly worthy nominations for best film. Shape Of Water was a dull beauty and the beast storyline told numerous times and Ladybird?

Quirky suburban white girl going through drama before she leaves for college. Groundbreaking. :pac:

People actually went to see Get Out also something which is a rarity these days in this section.

Obviously other issues at play, twitter will have the best moments and as the years passes its got very smug and patronising to conservatives, whether conservatives deserve the sneer is another debate, but could understand why it would put them off tuning in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Blazer wrote: »
    "Meryl, if you do it everybody else will....." **vomits**

The hypocrisy of women in Hollywood is unreal.
    Hilarious when you think that another time Streep famously stood up at the Oscars was to applaud an absent, confessed and convicted, fugitive child abuser.

Agree with Rjd2 above also. The films they celebrate are middle of the road chores-to-watch. Thought Ladybird, The Shape of Water, Darkest Hour and Three Billboards were just decent. The Post was drivel.

I Tonya and Get Out were pretty good entertainment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭yer man!

Anyone know how I can watch the recording of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

People have had enough of Hollywoods hypocrisy and preaching .

Every year the list of nominated films seems to be getting worse and worse ,the Oscars are a vain back slapping celebration of mediocrity .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Watched some of this in work today. Normally, I couldn't give a tinkers cuss about the Oscars. I still don't, TBH. But, some of that was just cringy.

'The Shape of Water' getting Best Picture and Del Toro getting Best Director was laughable. Saw the film yesterday and while I thought it was filmed well and deserved it's Best Prduction Design gong, its ridiculous mute woman masturbatory fantasy was absolute drivel. Can't help feeling that it would have been a much better story if it was about freeing the creature, instead of wanting to fuck it.

And Mc Dormand? WTH was that all about? I think Frannie was at the bar most of the night, cos she looked blitzed. Skin crawlling stuff. I've a lot of time for her and have been watching her since the 80's, but that speech...jesus.

Also, the ending...LOL. It was like 'The Price is Right' or something. Bloody hell. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Saw the Shape of Water the other day it was average at best. If this is the best picture of the year, then god help Hollywood.

The whole hollywood set need to forget about political correctness and trying to out do each other with whatever cause is fashionable. It is all just plastic and fake ****e that the public are sick off. Hence why no one cares that much anymore about the Oscars.

Cant remember the last time a decent movie came out that made me stand up and take notice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

So Grinding Nemo won??

That’s disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Tony EH wrote: »
    Watched some of this in work today. Normally, I couldn't give a tinkers cuss about the Oscars. I still don't, TBH. But, some of that was just cringy.

'The Shape of Water' getting Best Picture and Del Toro getting Best Director was laughable. Saw the film yesterday and while I thought it was filmed well and deserved it's Best Prduction Design gong, its ridiculous mute woman masturbatory fantasy was absolute drivel. Can't help feeling that it would have been a much better story if it was about freeing the creature, instead of wanting to fuck it.

And Mc Dormand? WTH was that all about? I think Frannie was at the bar most of the night, cos she looked blitzed. Skin crawlling stuff. I've a lot of time for her and have been watching her since the 80's, but that speech...jesus.

Also, the ending...LOL. It was like 'The Price is Right' or something. Bloody hell. :pac:

McDormand’s speech was unhinged. Oh well. Keep being a great actress, Fran, and we’re good.

Loved Sam Rockwell’s speech. He is just so effortlessly cool, isn’t he?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

RTÉ2 had the winners name for the animated feature film cut off after the screen went black just before they announced it & after that the winners for Coco stood up off their seats & collected their Oscar. What the hell happened there during the highlights? Was RTÉ rushing for an ad break or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I wondered if Gary Oldman would mention his ex-wife, Lesley Manville, in his speech. She was a Best Supporting Actress nominee. Nope! :P I guess they were married a long, long time ago. Must have been a bit weird for them both.

Was his other ex wife Uma Thurman there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

How did Phantom Thread not win a major award aside from costume?

Superb acting.
    Superb score.
    Superb cinematography.
    Superb screenplay.
    Superb directing.

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

yer man! wrote: »
    Anyone know how I can watch the recording of this?

RTE player is your best bet

Jennifer Lawrence and Jodie Foster "Streep" joke was funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Emma Stone getting hammered on social media and some news outlets because her pointless little dig about "four men and Greta Gerwig" being nominated for best director didn't mention the ethnicity of two of the men. So she didn't go far enough with her self-righteous dogsh1t for some.

And Emma Watson left out an apostrophe on her fake "Time's Up" tattoo.

What a bunch of absolute braindead, hypocritical cnuts they are in Hollywood.

Pathetic people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

_Dara_ wrote: »
    McDormand’s speech was unhinged. Oh well. Keep being a great actress, Fran, and we’re good.

Loved Sam Rockwell’s speech. He is just so effortlessly cool, isn’t he?

Yeh, I think she was drunk. I hope she was drunk.

Rockwell's speech was grand. At least it wasn't gush and was sort of funny. Fully deserved his little gold man too. He was very good in Three Billboards.

• Advertisement

Mardy Bum wrote: »

Superb acting.
    Superb score.
    Superb cinematography.
    Superb screenplay.
    Superb directing.

How?

It didn't have a suitable 'quirk'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I think with the guild awards preceding the Oscars and generally seeing that the winners of those awards typically go on to win the Oscar as well then a lot of the surprise factor and all round interest come Oscar time is a possible explanation. This year all of the Producer, Director and Sceen Guild winners won the Oscar, so a snooze fest with zero surprises this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

The bit where they showed bits of war movies and thanked serviceman was puketasic. Can't believe even 'leftie' Hollywood are into the ra ra ra militarism stuff now. It's bad enough having to endure it during sporting events. A few in the audience had WTF faces on after it to be fair to them.

Speeches were very anodyne overall. "Put the kettle on". Jeasus Gary the would world is listening to you and thats all you have to say. Surprised nobody even tried to put the boot into Trump and his ilk.

Kimmel was good. Wish the didn't cut that guy off right at the end though but I guess they were about to go off air. The bit where they went to the cinema across the road was great. Stage setup was class. Foster and JLaw were a good laugh.

McDormand let her self down and appeared unhinged, not in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

viewership was down 20% not exactly a roaring success

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Superb acting.
    Superb score.
    Superb cinematography.
    Superb screenplay.
    Superb directing.

How?

I agree that technically it was superbly made. However, it had nothing really relevant to say about society today. And that's fine for what it is, but I'd rather films with something to say end up winning the awards.

To me that's Three Billboards.

Didn't really get the hype over Shape of Water. But I guess people still love a fairy tale.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

Superb acting.
    Superb score.
    Superb cinematography.
    Superb screenplay.
    Superb directing.

How?

I've watched all the Oscar fair now & Phantom Thread was head & shoulders above the rest of the field.

I can only assume there are political reasons or in Gary Oldman's case, it's just his time.

Same for Alison Janey instead of Lesley Manville.
    Same for GdelT instead of PTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

So watched this on rte last night and its as if hollywood is so terrified of the SJW brigade that it has now lost any sense of authenticity. The shape of water was not the best film of the year. Its was an ok movie but compared to something like Chris Nolan's Dunkirk it was straight to dvd stuff. And Get out winning best original screenplay.......not a chance pal. Its like political correctness or whatever is going on, has completley wiped out artistic integrity. Jordan peels screenplay was not in the same league as Sorkin's Molly's game. Whatever is happening in hollywood recently seems to be at the expense of anything genuine. I get the feeling that people are terrified of being labeled racist, homophobic, sexist or whatever to the point where they no longer vote with their hearts but with whatever enables them to appear liberal and open minded.
    And what was frances mcdormand on? Her huaband looked mortified. She was either really drunk or coked off her box(or both). Alison janney was great to watch(as always) but Sam rockwell was just super cool. Loved his tribute to phillip seymour hoffman. Class act.

tunguska wrote: »
    So watched this on rte last night and its as if hollywood is so terrified of the SJW brigade that it has now lost any sense of authenticity. The shape of water was not the best film of the year. Its was an ok movie but compared to something like Chris Nolan's Dunkirk it was straight to dvd stuff. And Get out winning best original screenplay.......not a chance pal. Its like political correctness or whatever is going on, has completley wiped out artistic integrity. Jordan peels screenplay was not in the same league as Sorkin's Molly's game. Whatever is happening in hollywood recently seems to be at the expense of anything genuine. I get the feeling that people are terrified of being labeled racist, homophobic, sexist or whatever to the point where they no longer vote with their hearts but with whatever enables them to appear liberal and open minded.
    And what was frances mcdormand on? Her huaband looked mortified. She was either really drunk or coked off her box(or both). Alison janney was great to watch(as always) but Sam rockwell was just super cool. Loved his tribute to phillip seymour hoffman. Class act.

Maybe Woody and Frances got high before or during the long show :p

Was it just me but the audience lacked "celebs" i.e. known actors and actresses, even look at who Jimmy took to the local cinema, remember the day of Ellen's group selfie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

tunguska wrote: »

There was a lot of undeserving winners. The longer this continues, the more interest will wane in every quarter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Superb acting.
    Superb score.
    Superb cinematography.
    Superb screenplay.
    Superb directing.

How?

Are you only newly acquainted with the Oscars? The best film usually doesn't win. It was ever thus.

Advertisement