Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

It's not a great year. As far as best pic goes, I have only seen Shape of Water, The Post, Dunkirk, Phantom Thread, Get Out & 3 Bill Boards but (pound for pound) Dunkirk would be my choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I loved Ladybird but Saoirse hasn't got a prayer, McDormand is an absolute lock for Best actress, as is Oldman for best actor, and Del Toro for best director.

Ladybird will go home totally empty-handed.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/ng-interactive/2018/mar/03/oscars-so-right

Anything is possible in the current climate.

It's not just about performance/execution anymore, with "relevance" and "having something to say" being major factors now.

In those circumstances Three Billboards (given the backlash), Dunkirk and Darkest Hour could go home with nowt while Get Out and Ladybird could cause a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

A few outside bets (according to the bookies).
    Actor - Daniel Day Lewis
    Director - Greta Gerwig
    Song - Mystery of Love
    Cinematography - Mudbound
    Supporting Actor - Woody Harrelson

• Registered Users Posts: 85,061 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think Get Out or LadyBird will take Best Picture or Director, shock surprise winner

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I also have this feeling in my waters that Get Out is going to sneak away with one of the big ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Howdy all,

While you're waiting for the show to kick off, just wanted to flag our own film awards are now open for nominations - so if you have any particular favourites likely to get snubbed tonight (I'm still a bit ****ing peeved The Florida Project didn't get nominated in Best Picture, frankly) please pop on over and show them some love :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=480

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Arghus wrote: »
    I also have this feeling in my waters that Get Out is going to sneak away with one of the big ones.

It will win best original screenplay. It's a category that very often has the "independent" film they would like to give the top prize to but this category seems to have to be its substitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

So annoyed that the awards are only being shown on sky movies

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is the rare year where I'd be pleased to see more than half of the Best Picture nominees win - Call Me By Your Name, Lady Bird, Phantom Thread, Get Out and Dunkirk are all worthy of celebration, albeit each for very different reasons. I'd be particularly pleased with any of the first three in particulars.

Sadly, I think it's the two I didn't really like - The Shape of Water and Three Billboards... - that are looking like the favourites. Outside of them, Get Out could sweep in with a win after its Independent Spirit success: I don't think it's the best film nominated, but a very poppy genre film winning would be a welcome change of pace.

I have yet to see Darkest Hour, mind, but that's been a conscious decision :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭markc91

Thoughts on this? Anything look dodgy? 3.3 odds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Anyone having a bet?

Was tempted by Three Billboards at a shade under Evens to get Best Picture:

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/special-bets/market/1.132838659

Suppossed leaks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,061 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kimmel's opening segment was bad

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

markc91 wrote: »
    Suppossed leaks ;)

money can be won I'll tell ya that

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

Suppossed leaks ;)
    Proved fake already, with Darkest Hour getting Makeup/Hair

shazzerman wrote: »
    Proved fake already, with Darkest Hour getting Makeup/Hair

Aye, and Beauty & The Beast didn't win for Costume Design either.

Yep Bull****

This song is crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭larchielads

I picked out 10 bets for 10 EUR acc just for laughs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Suppossed leaks ;)

Has all the big ones right so far. If it’s indicative, I’m surprised at Best Actor. He was nothing special.

• Advertisement

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Has all the big ones right so far. If it’s indicative, I’m surprised at Best Actor. He was nothing special.

Never mind, it was wrong. :)

Thoughts on this? Anything look dodgy? 3.3 odds

Winner :cool:

In the last 15 minutes 'Three Billboards' has drifted out from odds-on to 2/1!

And 'Shape of Water' has been backed in from 3/1 to 8/11!!

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/special-bets/market/1.132838659

Someone was in the know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

"Meryl, if you do it everybody else will....." **vomits**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Yeah Frances let herself down with a pandering speech that did nothing to dissuade the detractors of the film.

McDonagh seems to have an attitude of "fcuk em" which really is the best attitude to adapt in this situation. He knows he can't win if he tries to engage.

Oldman handled his speech well in comparison by avoiding all reference because he knew any kind of pandering would have backfired spectacularly.

Frances seemed a bit demented during her speech. Anyhoo, it’s all a bit divisive, isn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

According to some people on here, Gary Oldman and Del Toro should've point bank refused their awards as they have made better films in the past.

Funny how neither of them agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

"Meryl, if you do it everybody else will....." **vomits**

The hypocrisy of women in Hollywood is unreal.

• Advertisement

I wondered if Gary Oldman would mention his ex-wife, Lesley Manville, in his speech. She was a Best Supporting Actress nominee. Nope! :P I guess they were married a long, long time ago. Must have been a bit weird for them both.

Advertisement