Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars 2018

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

If Daniel Day Lewis had won, he'd have made history for a second by winning a fourth Best Actor

Kimmel needs to go and somebody with at least one testicle needs to host next year so they can at least have a little excitement in the build up that one or two of the high and mighty get a bit of stick, instead of poor old Mel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

haha. Fair play Frances being locked:)

I’ve been to the Oscars. You can very easily get drunk despite it seeing to be impossible. Every time you leave your seat even someone runs in and fills your seat while you’re out. You can’t get out front to have a smoke though that’s a pain but if you have a pass you can go downstairs into the dressing rooms and out the back. It’s a tedious experince overall but once in a lifetime special too. The parties after are by far definitely the best bit and if what I saw was anything to go by, the after parties are the seed bed for future deals and projects between actors and directors and producers etc. Hey his is probably why despite falling public interest it’s still th beating heart and biggest night in the business.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

david75 wrote: »
    I’ve been to the Oscars.
    I'll bite - how? One of the Irish animation nominations?

ixoy wrote: »
    I'll bite - how? One of the Irish animation nominations?

Yeah. Nine or ten years ago now I think. There with Hansard for Once.
    Gimpy humble brag pic attached. Oscars are very heavy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,058 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

david75 wrote: »
    Yeah. Nine or ten years ago now I think. There with Hansard for Once.
    Gimpy humble brag pic attached. Oscars are very heavy.

What was your goody swag bag? Is it different for winners and nominees?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What was your goody swag bag? Is it different for winners and nominees?

Got a voucher (I say voucher imagine it a piece of art almost gilded) free weekend in some mad posh hotel chain that has super posh hotels every where so we went with the London a few months later but then mostly stuff like sunglasses and phones you couldn’t use over here.
    All the big big stuff was put under a tax law that year or year before so if you wanted the free car you had to pay the state tax on it all that sorta stuff. Then they did away with all that. The big stuff anyways. But we got tons of gadgets n stuff. None I remember or still have. We did the independent spirit awards that week too. Still have a cool travel bag from that.
    Did get a free suit from dolce and gabbana getting ready to go to the ceremony. That was so cool. They come to you and measure you and fit while you’re there waiting. It’s mad. Least I think it was free. I never gave it back. Though I wasn’t asked either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Emma Stone getting hammered on social media and some news outlets because her pointless little dig about "four men and Greta Gerwig" being nominated for best director didn't mention the ethnicity of two of the men. So she didn't go far enough with her self-righteous dogsh1t for some.

And Emma Watson left out an apostrophe on her fake "Time's Up" tattoo.

What a bunch of absolute braindead, hypocritical cnuts they are in Hollywood.

Pathetic people.

That is the problem with intersectionality, you can always divide more and more.

US film industry has only ever seen itself and acted as a moral compass. It was ever thus. Propaganda and moralising peppered throughout its history. Now it’s become a bit nauseating through the actors and press carrying it through into real life. I will say it’s backfiring and self defeating. People living in a golden bubble telling the rest of us how to think and live is obnoxious. But the oscars stopped being about the art of film making and became money and politics and egos years ago. It’ll be looked back on poorly as it deserves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

tunguska wrote: »
    So watched this on rte last night and its as if hollywood is so terrified of the SJW brigade that it has now lost any sense of authenticity. The shape of water was not the best film of the year.

Oh ssshh with the 'SJW' nonsense or whatever other liberal boogeyman US-centric reactionaries want to blame for everything. The Oscars have almost ALWAYS been safe, certainly in the last few decades. The best film RARELY wins (I'd almost be inclined to say never, but occasionally they get it fairly right like last year... allowing for the inescapable subjectivity of 'best'). Since at least the 1990s (and for many of the years throughout its century-long history) the Academy has only irregularly happened to pick the really grade-A stuff.

To suggest the Oscars have only recently become some sort of blandfest is to ignore a long history of celebrating undeserving or quickly-forgotten films. I mean, I liked at least half the nominees for Best Picture more than The Shape of Water, and a dozen more I'd like to have seen in the mix over some of what was chosen. I'm reasonably happy for Del Toro as he seems like a good guy, but the film was underwhelming. But then this is the same Academy that has given the top prize to Crash, The Artist, Argo, Shakespeare in Love and any number of other mediocrities or sub-mediocrities. The Shape of Water actually looks reasonably good compared to some of the nonsense that has picked up the main statues over the years.

The Academy are a deeply flawed institution. They often favour established talent, specific subject matters, and a certain class of filmmaking that has even come to be dubbed Oscar-bait. They routinely ignore the entire spectrum of world cinema except for when it suits them, neglect deserving genre films, and pass over most of the best American independent cinema. None of this is new, and to suggest it is only a recent development due to some 'SJW' influence is disingenuous and actively ignores the long history of the Oscars being dull as all ****.

Oh, and Molly's Game was bordering on a self-parody of an Aaron Sorkin script. He's done much, much better :)

• Advertisement

Oh ssshh with the 'SJW' nonsense or whatever other liberal boogeyman US-centric reactionaries want to blame for everything. The Oscars have almost ALWAYS been safe, certainly in the last few decades. The best film RARELY wins (I'd almost be inclined to say never, but occasionally they get it fairly right like last year... allowing for the inescapable subjectivity of 'best'). Since at least the 1990s (and for many of the years throughout its century-long history) the Academy has only irregularly happened to pick the really grade-A stuff.

To suggest the Oscars have only recently become some sort of blandfest is to ignore a long history of celebrating undeserving or quickly-forgotten films. I mean, I liked at least half the nominees for Best Picture more than The Shape of Water, and a dozen more I'd like to have seen in the mix over some of what was chosen. I'm reasonably happy for Del Toro as he seems like a good guy, but the film was underwhelming. But then this is the same Academy that has given the top prize to Crash, The Artist, Argo, Shakespeare in Love and any number of other mediocrities or sub-mediocrities. The Shape of Water actually looks reasonably good compared to some of the nonsense that has picked up the main statues over the years (and a film about an inter-species relationship isn't exactly a wholly safe sort of film anyway).

The Academy are a deeply flawed institution. They often favour established talent, specific subject matters, and a certain class of filmmaking that has even come to be dubbed Oscar-bait. They routinely ignore the entire spectrum of world cinema except for when it suits them, neglect deserving genre films, and pass over most of the best American independent cinema. None of this is new, and to suggest it is only a recent development due to some 'SJW' influence is disingenuous and actively ignores the long history of the Oscars being dull as all ****.

Oh, and Molly's Game was bordering on a self-parody of an Aaron Sorkin script. He's done much, much better :)

I have a feeling the person you’re responding to would be equally outraged but in a different indirect buzzword alt right way, if call me by your name had won best picture. (Which it should have)

Ps. It wasn’t inter species. The mute lady was a fish person to Begin with. Watch it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I haven’t seen The Artist but it seems to be highly rated by critics?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was his other ex wife Uma Thurman there?

Probably not, I don’t think she was affiliated with any film nominated this year.

Saw a stupid Daily Mail headline (is there any other kind?) along the lines of “Who will Gary Oldman and Lesley Manville’s son root for on the night?”. Erm, both of them, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Pretty pissed Sufjan Stevens had what, like 1 minute 30 secs to sing his song??? That's pretty poor. Happy for James Ivory though, well-deserved. Still think CMBYN is the best of last year.

Jordan Peele winning was a highlight, speech was a breath of fresh air, very few winners thank the moviegoing public at these things.

Thought some presenter pairs were funny, Kumail, Tiffany Haddish & Maya Rudolph.

It was still dull overall, what with the 10,000 montages. And the end was so anti-climactic, I was cringing so hard for that producer who was cut-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

camz09 wrote: »
    Pretty pissed Sufjan Stevens had what, like 1 minute 30 secs to sing his song??? That's pretty poor. Happy for James Ivory though, well-deserved. Still think CMBYN is the best of last year.

Jordan Peele winning was a highlight, speech was a breath of fresh air, very few winners thank the moviegoing public at these things.

Thought some presenter pairs were funny, Kumail, Tiffany Haddish & Maya Rudolph.

It was still dull overall, what with the 10,000 montages. And the end was so anti-climactic, I was cringing so hard for that producer who was cut-off.

I'll be honest. I would not have said Maya Rudolph was black.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,058 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Probably not, I don’t think she was affiliated with any film nominated this year.

Saw a stupid Daily Mail headline (is there any other kind?) along the lines of “Who will Gary Oldman and Lesley Manville’s son root for on the night?”. Erm, both of them, surely?

As other Weinstein victims Ashley Judd, Annabella Sciorra, Mira Sorvino and Salma Hayek were presenters thought maybe Uma would have also been there for MeToo and Time's Up campaigns

p to the e wrote: »
    I'll be honest. I would not have said Maya Rudolph was black.

Yeah, she's got that lovely caramelly skin tone that could be representative of a number of different ethnicities. It wouldn't be immediately apparent.

Haha. The guy is abhorrent but this is funny

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/970741191074566144

Advertisement