Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    Hi,

The time has come for me to get a dock for the ONE X i have and i want to make use of the fact that the phone comes with the POGO pins at the back.

Ok, so those pins on the back can be used with docks? what else are they for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

eoin_mcg wrote: »
    I've just upgraded from the desire to the one x. I found the desire to be a fantastic phone. I thought the build quality to be excellent too.

How did you find the transition?

I'm planning to upgrade to the One X after having my Desire for almost 2 years. Fantastic phone but the lack of memory is starting to wreck my head.

My main concern is the size (small female hands!) - is it still possible to use the phone properly with one hand? Might be a bit of a stretch .. and that could get annoying after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Glowing wrote: »
    My main concern is the size (small female hands!) - is it still possible to use the phone properly with one hand? Might be a bit of a stretch .. and that could get annoying after a while.

I have small fingers and was all set on the S. When I went into size them up one last time I realised I could touch the far side of screen on the X on the bottom half handy enough so I can use swype style keyboards now no problems.

Other thing I considered was the power button. Its more or less the same effort to press it on both the X and S so last minute I decided to go for the X for the bigger memory.

Is taking getting used to but as the X is only slightly bigger than the S I hope I made the right choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

flugel wrote: »
    I have small fingers and was all set on the S. When I went into size them up one last time I realised I could touch the far side of screen on the X on the bottom half handy enough so I can use swype style keyboards now no problems.

Other thing I considered was the power button. Its more or less the same effort to press it on both the X and S so last minute I decided to go for the X for the bigger memory.

Is taking getting used to but as the X is only slightly bigger than the S I hope I made the right choice!

I love my One X, the only gripe I have about it is having to press the power button to wake the screen, I wish it could be done via the volume buttons (without rooting) Hoping Widget locker might release an update enabling you to do this, I know it can be done on other android devices with that app but not the One X unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

nedd wrote: »
    Ok, so those pins on the back can be used with docks? what else are they for?

I think that's pretty much it to be honest.. i'm not expert on it which is why i'm looking for some help. I imagine if you are connected to the dock via the pins it will also charge the device?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Trigg171

I love my One X, the only gripe I have about it is having to press the power button to wake the screen, I wish it could be done via the volume buttons (without rooting) Hoping Widget locker might release an update enabling you to do this, I know it can be done on other android devices with that app but not the One X unfortunately.

I know you don't want to root but I installed the Bricked Kernel (unfortunately you need your device rooted) and it has a pretty cool Sweeptowake feature which wakes the phone or locks it when you sweep your finger over the 3 capacitive buttons to wake the phone. I'm not sure if a feature like that will come in future for stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgQ22IuCcKw&feature=player_embedded

So far the developer has only bundled this into his Bricked Kernel for the HTC One X, however he has also stated its fully open source so who knows if he or some other developer makes an app out of this feature or whether it will be available for non rooted phones. Might be something to look out for though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

MoodeRator wrote: »
    Just to make sure I can always charge I have now ordered a car holder and desktop dock from here.. (plus a cover):)
    http://www.obostore.com/-Discount-for-htc-one-x_c220.html

Ok, I have received my car cradle and desktop dock and I am very happy!
    The dock on my desk uses mains and USB together and looks great using the "Rotation Locker" app! :)

I plan on getting one of these cases:

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/htc-hc-v701-hard-shell-with-kick-stand-for-htc-one-x-clear-white-p34370.htm

Anyone have one already? The integrated stand looks really handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/htc-hc-v701-hard-shell-with-kick-stand-for-htc-one-x-clear-white-p34370.htm

It's a nice idea but cases like that don't really work for phones. Imagine how cumbersome it would be to put something like that up to your ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Nice idea, but the USB is then on the underside and you are unable to charge at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Robo_Mike

I read a review somewhere on one of those and it was basically an awkward case for using the phone!

MoodeRator wrote: »
    Nice idea, but the USB is then on the underside and you are unable to charge at the same time.

Hmm that would be annoying alright .... but you could charge it when the case is closed I imagine?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

http://www.expansys.ie/pdair-leather-case-for-htc-one-x-flip-type-black-229933/

Just got this in the post, seems well designed and you can add a belt clip to it as well. Noticed it has slots inside too if you feel the need to carry bank cards with it.

Only cons are you are tripling the thickness of the phone and must remove it to use the camera, but Ill get over it.

Sintel wrote: »
    http://www.expansys.ie/pdair-leather-case-for-htc-one-x-flip-type-black-229933/

Just got this in the post, seems well designed and you can add a belt clip to it as well. Noticed it has slots inside too if you feel the need to carry bank cards with it.

Only cons are you are tripling the thickness of the phone and must remove it to use the camera, but Ill get over it.

Yeah that's a bit blokey for me :) But looks smart ....

I was also looking at this one: http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/metal-slim-uv-protective-case-for-htc-one-x-white-p34762.htm

Just with that huge screen, I'd feel it'd be vulnerable knocking around my handbag :p which is why I went for the flip case at the start ....

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭dinevalesco

Hey Guys. I got that case that PAMG recommended and recommend it. I'm thinking about getting a screen protector also, any suggestions? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Someone posted up a link to what I can only describe as a mobile battery which you could you to charge your phone on the go. Any chance of that link again?

Been looking but no luck

tok9 wrote: »
    Someone posted up a link to what I can only describe as a mobile battery which you could you to charge your phone on the go. Any chance of that link again?

Been looking but no luck

You mean a battery bank?

There are loads available to be honest. Some with massive capacity too. On amazon here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=battery+bank&x=0&y=0

I have this one, its great and relatively cheap....Plus 11,000 mAh is great....can fully charge my One X about 4 times on one full charge. There are even larger capacity ones there aswell

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Trent-IMP1000-Thunderbolt-Blackberry/dp/B004CHMP50/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1336592674&sr=8-20

Trigg171 wrote: »
    You mean a battery bank?

There are loads available to be honest. Some with massive capacity too. On amazon here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=battery+bank&x=0&y=0

I have this one, its great and relatively cheap....Plus 11,000 mAh is great....can fully charge my One X about 4 times on one full charge. There are even larger capacity ones there aswell

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Trent-IMP1000-Thunderbolt-Blackberry/dp/B004CHMP50/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1336592674&sr=8-20

Ya something like that, looks perfect thanks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Maybe mentioned already, maybe nothing to worry about, but my One X has been getting a bit on the warm side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Maybe mentioned already, maybe nothing to worry about, but my One X has been getting a bit on the warm side.

Whenever i use fairly CPU/GPU intensive apps, the area around the camera get's very VERY hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I bought the HTC one S today. I was all geared up to buy the xperia S, I saw both of them on display in carphone warehouse and I was disappointed in the xperia S. I found it looking old beside the ONE S, jerky screen changes and generally nothing about it screamed at me at all. It just felt like an old phone which is a shame. The One S sitting on the shelf above it really did it for me so I bought that instead. No regrets it's a super phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭houseplant

Anyone know what the one v is like? I'm getting a phone for herself and I'm torn between that and the galaxy 2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

houseplant wrote: »
    Anyone know what the one v is like? I'm getting a phone for herself and I'm torn between that and the galaxy 2
    Get the Galaxy S2, it's a far better phone than the One V (But only the One V, not the One S/One X)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

mondeo wrote: »
    I bought the HTC one S today. I was all geared up to buy the xperia S, I saw both of them on display in carphone warehouse and I was disappointed in the xperia S. I found it looking old beside the ONE S, jerky screen changes and generally nothing about it screamed at me at all. It just felt like an old phone which is a shame. The One S sitting on the shelf above it really did it for me so I bought that instead. No regrets it's a super phone!

had xperia s a week, unreal rubbish.

got the one x now, different league.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Ok, so I unlocked my bootloader, flashed CWM recovery, applied super user file, tried to flash LeeDrOiD One Xtreme V5.1.....failed, spent a few hours un-doing everything worried that I had an expensive brick.

Started over: unlocked my bootloader, flashed CWM recovery, applied super user file, successfully flashed LeeDrOiD One Xtreme V5.1

This ROM is awesome!!. My phone has been off charge now for 15hrs and is at 80% battery. PLUS it has some really nice tweeks such as changing the recent apps button to be menu (Long press home is now recent apps) and it is nice and fast :)

I really need to get into all this rom business and so. Massive Android noob here although I am after getting Google Music on the phone so that's a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Ok, so I unlocked my bootloader, flashed CWM recovery, applied super user file, tried to flash LeeDrOiD One Xtreme V5.1.....failed, spent a few hours un-doing everything worried that I had an expensive brick.

Started over: unlocked my bootloader, flashed CWM recovery, applied super user file, successfully flashed LeeDrOiD One Xtreme V5.1

This ROM is awesome!!. My phone has been off charge now for 15hrs and is at 80% battery. PLUS it has some really nice tweeks such as changing the recent apps button to be menu (Long press home is now recent apps) and it is nice and fast :)

Would I be correct in thinking that down the line there'll be new methods of unlocking / rooting to make it easier than it is now??

Would I be correct in thinking that down the line there'll be new methods of unlocking / rooting to make it easier than it is now??

Possibly. Paul O'Brien is currently looking at rooting a HOX without actually needing to unlock the device and devs are currently trying to figure out how to change S-ON to S-OFF which will make installing different roms easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭allen175

I used this method to root my HOX and i found it to be the easiest way to root a phone. Just follow the steps and press the buttons, how much more easy can it get?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Did you flash the boot.img before flashing the ROM yeah?

Advertisement