Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Murder of Marlhill, New Inn (c.1940)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 johnconnors

I think we sometimes today, look at events from the past through present day eyes. Communication today is practically instant with mobile phones, social media , etc. Back in the 1920's many people could not even read or write, and going to England would be a huge undertaking. It was not unusual back then for couples to elope, perhaps to escape from disapproving parents, pregnancy was often an issue, or just simply to make a better life for themselves. For family who were left behind, coping with the grind of daily life was enough to keep them busy, and any grief was shouldered alone. And if there were secrets, they were carried to the grave. They certainly wouldn't be emailing joe@rte.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nol4cos

hi im related to the cooney's. it was my gran-aunt who got her buried in garranlea and erected a stone. Also one of her children who died at a young age is buried in my gran aunts family plot as the parish priest of the time refused to bury the child in the local cemetery because of her background.

Hi, great to see your contribution here. I visited Garranlea cemetary twice this past summer in the hope that I might be able to identify the grave where Moll Carty was buried. The graveyard itself is very well maintained but the inscription on many of the stones is difficult to make out. I could easily identify a number of momuments dedicated to the 'Keating' family who were apparently the origonal owners of Garranlea House. Try as I might, I could find no 'Cooney' gravestone. I feel that this is rather sad, as the Cooney family were well know for their kindness and generousity to those in the neighbourhood who were in want and poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nol4cos

The cooney family have their own family plot in another county. My brother & a neighbour have a good idea where the grave is. it is on the right hand side down towards the back wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Just read this whole thread very interesting stuff, it says on Wikipedia that the case was documented in 2 RTE television programmes, is this right. Either way does anyone know of a way I could watch either of them, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Just read this whole thread very interesting stuff, it says on Wikipedia that the case was documented in 2 RTE television programmes, is this right. Either way does anyone know of a way I could watch either of them, thanks.

It was documented in Cathal O'Shannon's series Thou Shalt Not Kill in the 90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭ANSI

Tremelo wrote: »
    It was documented in Cathal O'Shannon's series Thou Shalt Not Kill in the 90s.
    Will Nugent played Gleeson . He might have a copy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 eoin111

hey this is my first time on this...i first saw abou moll macarthys death on an rte programe years ago nd have been interested in it ever since..i myself am from poulmucka approximatiatly 8kms south east of marlhill... i am studyin history in third level and was intereted in doin a project abou it...and i am lookin 4 info abou it?i was wonderin if any1 new of any advancement in the case? and if they still had copoies of the book murder at marlhill in the show grounds in clonmel?thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

eoin111 wrote: »
    hey this is my first time on this...i first saw abou moll macarthys death on an rte programe years ago nd have been interested in it ever since..i myself am from poulmucka approximatiatly 8kms south east of marlhill... i am studyin history in third level and was intereted in doin a project abou it...and i am lookin 4 info abou it?i was wonderin if any1 new of any advancement in the case? and if they still had copoies of the book murder at marlhill in the show grounds in clonmel?thanks
    Easons Clonmel have it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Emailed RTÉ to see if they'll show Thou Shalt Not Kill again.
    Doubt I'll get a reply but I'll follow up

Cathal O'Shannon died late last year so could be somewhat appropriate to run his show again for those who remember it and those who missed it first time around

• Registered Users Posts: 13 monb

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Emailed RTÉ to see if they'll show Thou Shalt Not Kill again.
    Doubt I'll get a reply but I'll follow up

Cathal O'Shannon died late last year so could be somewhat appropriate to run his show again for those who remember it and those who missed it first time around
    It was a very good series alright and would get decent figures if they were to show it again I'd say.
    I read the book that accompanied the series a fair few years ago and it was very interesting too.

MY uncle has the video of that program but he wouldn't let it oout of his sight for love or money. If a few people wanted to come to my place [Borrisoleigh] some evening, I could arrange for it to be shown,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GleesonErenach

HelenV wrote: »
    Hi Fragles,
    My apologies. I'm new to this 'boards' crack and mistakenly replied to Furet.
    Is there a possibility that we're related? Harry Gleeson had two sisters (one my grandmother) and as far as I know three brothers. I'd be interested to know a little more from your side but this is rather a public forum.
    I don't live in Tipperary and am therefore not privy to a lot of personal information etc. but I'm really interested in gleaning any info you might have. Can you give me an idea as to your relationship to the Caesars / Gleesons.
    The Caesars are from the Holycross area and a brother and sister of his lived there also but I'm not too sure where his actual parents came from. It would be interesting to find out.
    I'd love to hear more from you.
    HelenV
    Hello
    Dr Bourke's incredibly well researched and presented book Murder at Marlhill: Was Harry Gleeson Innocent says that Harry was óne of twelve children of Thomas Gleeson and Catherine Ceasar....he was born in 1903 near Holycross'. (page 3)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭The Woodcock

I came across this thread after reading Murder at Marlhill last week, having first read it about 20 years ago. While Marcus Bourke made a good case for Gleeson's innocence, I felt there were a lot of avenues that he didn't explore.

The most intriguing aspect for me is the issue of when and where Moll Carthy was killed, particularly the matter of the Thursday morning shots. Bourke points out that several locals heard two shots at around 9.25 a.m. on Thursday. Moll Carthy's body was found by Gleeson about half an hour afterwards. Those who heard these shots only came forward with this information after Gleeson's conviction.

Elsewhere, however, Marcus Bourke speculates that Moll was killed in a nearby building with one shot and that the second shot was fired after her body had been carried to the place it was found. This was done to give the impression that she was killed where she was found. These two parts of Bourke's argument contradict one another i.e. were the two shots that killed here fired one after another or at separate times?

I also think Bourke could have given more attention to the situation of the Carthy children in the immediate aftermath of the murder. Who broke the news of their mother's death to the children? Who took care of them in the days and weeks following the murder? Did this open up possibilities for the children to be manipulated? Did the children ever speak of the case in subsequent years? I think it would have been fascinating to hear their perspective.

I've just finished reading The Dead Eight by Carlo Gebler, the novel based on the Marlhill murder case mentioned earlier in the thread. Gebler traces Moll's story right back to the days of her mother, who was a woman of ill repute and who sold her body to get by in life during the time she spent in Dublin. Moll herself lived in a children's home in Thurles for her first sixteen years and never knew her father. Gebler paints her as a very promiscious woman, even by today's moral standards, not to mind the standards of the times she lived in. For instance, she jumps into bed with Sergeant Daly almost immediately upon his arrival at New Inn Garda station. She had numerous relationships with local men, married and unmarried, and used these relationship to improve her material circumstances. Having said that, Moll was quite discreet and revealed little about her various trysts once they were over.

According to Gebler, Moll was in a relationship with a local IRA leader, who he calls JJ Spink. He fathered her seventh and last child, who died at a young age. As with all her previously relationships, this one ended as a result of the pregnancy and the potential for scandal that surrounded it. Moll then began a relationship with Sergeant Daly, who was married, immediately upon his arrival in New Inn early in 1940. Daly's role in the Gardai was to root out the remnants of the IRA who were still active and this meant he had been stationed at several locations over the course of his career and was somewhat notorious for the rough treatment he dished out. His relationship with Moll presented a threat to Spink, who thought she might pass on information about his activties, and this provided the motive for her murder. Spink and two IRA associated brought Moll to a deserted house close to Marlhill on Wednesday evening, got her drunk, shot her and then planted her body where they knew Gleeson would find it on Thursday morning. Spink then blackmailed Sergeant Daly, threatening to reveal his relationship with Moll unless Daly was prepared to frame Harry Gleeson. Daly coached one of Moll's sons to say that Gleeson was the father of Moll's last child and the whole case against Gleeson rested on this. Gebler makes no mention of locals having heard gunshots, either on Wednesday evening or Thursday morning. There are other aspects of the case that are central to Marcus Bourke's book that don't appear in The Dead Eight.

One problem with the novel is that it is, as the author states in the afterword "a hybrid that combines some factual content with a great body of invented speculative material". The difficulty for the reader is identifying which aspects of the story are based on fact and which are speculative - frustrating if you want a clear factual account of the case but a good device from the author's perspective as Gebler cannot be accused of inventing facts or blackening the names of real people. It is interesting to note that Gebler got a lot encouragement from Marcus Bourke when decidig to write the novel. I am certain Marcus Bourke knew a lot about the case that wasn't included in his own book for legal or other reasons.

Two things jumped out at me in particular. One is a letter from Miss Cooney of Garranlea House to John Timoney, Gleeson's solictor, written over a year after the execution. Miss Cooney states that Moll's son admitted to her that he had been coached by Sergeant Daly to give testimony against Gleeson i.e. that Gleeson was the father of Moll's last child. I presume this is factual and based on an authentic letter.
    There is also an account of a confession made by one of Moll's killers to her son and grandson in 1966. The man was terminally ill at te time. I'd love to know if this is a purely speculative account or based on something that Gebler would have heard from Moll's surviving relatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GullibleOne

I've just finished reading The Dead Eight by Carlo Gebler, the novel based on the Marlhill murder case mentioned earlier in the thread. Gebler traces Moll's story right back to the days of her mother, who was a woman of ill repute and who sold her body to get by in life during the time she spent in Dublin. Moll herself lived in a children's home in Thurles for her first sixteen years and never knew her father. Gebler paints her as a very promiscious woman, even by today's moral standards, not to mind the standards of the times she lived in. For instance, she jumps into bed with Sergeant Daly almost immediately upon his arrival at New Inn Garda station. She had numerous relationships with local men, married and unmarried, and used these relationship to improve her material circumstances. Having said that, Moll was quite discreet and revealed little about her various trysts once they were over.

According to Gebler, Moll was in a relationship with a local IRA leader, who he calls JJ Spink. He fathered her seventh and last child, who died at a young age. As with all her previously relationships, this one ended as a result of the pregnancy and the potential for scandal that surrounded it. Moll then began a relationship with Sergeant Daly, who was married, immediately upon his arrival in New Inn early in 1940. Daly's role in the Gardai was to root out the remnants of the IRA who were still active and this meant he had been stationed at several locations over the course of his career and was somewhat notorious for the rough treatment he dished out. His relationship with Moll presented a threat to Spink, who thought she might pass on information about his activties, and this provided the motive for her murder. Spink and two IRA associated brought Moll to a deserted house close to Marlhill on Wednesday evening, got her drunk, shot her and then planted her body where they knew Gleeson would find it on Thursday morning. Spink then blackmailed Sergeant Daly, threatening to reveal his relationship with Moll unless Daly was prepared to frame Harry Gleeson. Daly coached one of Moll's sons to say that Gleeson was the father of Moll's last child and the whole case against Gleeson rested on this. Gebler makes no mention of locals having heard gunshots, either on Wednesday evening or Thursday morning. There are other aspects of the case that are central to Marcus Bourke's book that don't appear in The Dead Eight.

One problem with the novel is that it i
    s, as the author states in the afterword "a hybrid that combines some factual content with a great body of invented speculative material". The difficulty for the reader is identifying which aspects of the story are based on fact and which are speculative - frustrating if you want a clear factual account of the case but a good device from the author's perspective as Gebler cannot be accused of inventing facts or blackening the names of real people. It is interesting to note that Gebler got a lot encouragement from Marcus Bourke when decidig to write the novel. I am certain Marcus Bourke knew a lot about the case that wasn't included in his own book for legal or other reasons.

Two things jumped out at me in particular. One is a letter from Miss Cooney of Garranlea House to John Timoney, Gleeson's solictor, written over a year after the execution. Miss Cooney states that Moll's son admitted to her that he had been coached by Sergeant Daly to give testimony against Gleeson i.e. that Gleeson was the father of Moll's last child. I presume this is factual and based on an authentic letter.
    There is also an account of a confession made by one of Moll's killers to her son and grandson in 1966. The man was terminally ill at te time. I'd love to know if this is a purely speculative account or based on something that Gebler would have heard from Moll's surviving relatives.
    The problem is it is a novel and there is no way to know how much is true or based on truth
    I am certain Marcus Bourke knew a lot about the case that wasn't included in his own book for legal or other reasons.
    very possible and because this is a novel he is not as constrained but still the truth in it is speculative

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kfagan99

Marcus Bourke did know more than he told us, but he left clues for those who read Murder at Marlhill carefully.

Carlo Gebler wrote The Dead Eight, a very gripping fictional account, and he has the overall truth of the matter. I recommend it to anyone interested in the case.

However examining a fictional text in detail is not the way to solve the mystery of what happened in New Inn in November 1940.

I'm trying to answer the big questions of fact in a book to be published next year.

Kieran Fagan.

(kfagan99@yahoo.com, if anyone has any information to share)

kfagan99 wrote: »
    Marcus Bourke did know more than he told us, but he left clues for those who read Murder at Marlhill carefully.

Carlo Gebler wrote The Dead Eight, a very gripping fictional account, and he has the overall truth of the matter. I recommend it to anyone interested in the case.

However examining a fictional text in detail is not the way to solve the mystery of what happened in New Inn in November 1940.

I'm trying to answer the big questions of fact in a book to be published next year.

Kieran Fagan.

I agree. If one reads between the lines of Murder at Marlhill the author does make a lot of hints and suggestions about what really happened. He alludes to IRA activity in the area and mentions the fact that Sgt. Daly was aware of Moll's imminent death the night before her murder (he blurted this out when drunk in a local pub).

I think the provenance of the Thursday morning shots would have to be addressed in any factual evalution of the case. If these were not the shots which killed Moll, then where did they come from?

Just wondering if you have been able to gain access to Timoney's & MacBride's papers/correspondence in relation to the case? I think they would be crucial sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭slievenamon fella

any one know if any of the bookshops in clonmel have the dead eight in stock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭yes chance

adalton95 wrote: »
    After Just This evening studying all the inns and outs of this case by a man who has studied the case for over 50 years , And not fictional based stories but hard facts that if had been bought to the court in 1940 would have seen the Harry Gleeson case thrown out of court , I firmly ,strongly in both heart and head no that Harry Gleeson was framed in cold blood ..
    who is this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 adalton95

yes chance wrote: »
    who is this

Who informed me ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭yes chance

adalton95 wrote: »
    Who informed me ?
    yes you seem to say you have new evidence. are you going to enlighten us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Kieran Fagan.

Please keep us updated on the status of your book.

Being related to a couple of families in the Marlhill area, I took great interest in this case, but singularly failed to elicit any information or even opinion from those who were alive at the time of the murder.
    All I met with was silence.
    None of those are now alive unfortunately, so I am left with the feeling that there was more buried about this than was ever revealed.

IMO, they have all taken the truth to their graves, and what little is available on which to base a new interpretation is insufficient for any definite conclusion. :(

I hope to have some news of a new book on the subject by the end of March 2013, and will post it here as soon as I am certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Hallyington

My entire family (fathers side) are from marlhill in new inn, I lived there myself for 4-5 months when i was maybe 13.

I had a book on the murder, Do you have it OP? I think it's just the murder at marlfield or something.

Not sure what OP means.

The book is called Murder at Marlhill by Marcus Bourke and is published by Geography Publications.
    www.geographypublications.com/Share
    24 Kennington Road, Templeogue, Dublin 6W Tel: +353 (1) 4566085. Email: books@geographypublications.com.

I am hoping to have published my own book on the subject later this year.

Regards Kieran Fagan, kfagan99@yahoo.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Not sure what OP means.

The book is called Murder at Marlhill by Marcus Bourke and is published by Geography Publications.
    www.geographypublications.com/Share
    24 Kennington Road, Templeogue, Dublin 6W Tel: +353 (1) 4566085. Email: books@geographypublications.com.

I am hoping to have published my own book on the subject later this year.

Regards Kieran Fagan, kfagan99@yahoo.com

OP = opening poster (the person who started this discussion in this case)

My book on this is delayed. I shall update this when I have better news. Kieran Fagan

• Registered Users Posts: 4 holly m

I am glad someone has taken an interest in this case because all the comments are very old.I really believe there was a miscarriage of justice here and I hope Harry Gleesons' name will be cleared in the future

Maybe she was afraid to tell the truth

• Advertisement

Have you published your book yet as i am interested in reading

No news yet, but I remain hopeful and will update here when I have some.

Have you ever contacted any of the McCarthy family about the events that happened

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

There will be a story in today's leading newspaper on Harry Gleeson!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 parkhursttree

What paper would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dasanimal

Its in the independent i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

It's also on the TippFM news
    Cold-case review of 1940’s Tipperary murder.
    [SIZE="-1"]09 Sep, 2013.[/SIZE]

A South Tipperary farmer executed for the murder of a mother of 7 over 72 years ago could be exonerated by the state.

The Office of the Attorney General has appointed a team to review of the case of Harry Gleeson who was convicted for the death of Mary Moll McCarthy in 1940.

In a case that divided a close knit community -the body of the mother of 7 was discovered by Mr Gleeson in a remote part of his uncle's farm in New Inn on the 21th of November 1940.
    He was subsequently convicted of her murder and put to death days after Taoiseach Eamon DeValera rejected a mercy plea.
    In the subsequent years Harry Glesson's family have campaigned to clear his name and say they have new forensic evidence to clear his name.
    They turned to the Irish Innocence Project- part of a world wide wrongful conviction organisation who lobbied the Justice Minister who subsequently sanctioned the cold case review..
    A decision on a pardon may be made within a matter of months

www.tippfm.com/news/detail/cold_case_review_of_1940s_tipperary_murder

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭HelenV

This is a fantastic development.

Congratulations to the Justice for Harry Gleeson group whose splendid work looks like achieving a pardon.

I expect to have news of a publisher for Hung Out To Die, my book which will identify who killed Moll Carthy (Mary McCarthy) and how they got away with it shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Congratulations to the Justice for Harry Gleeson group whose splendid work looks like achieving a pardon.

I expect to have news of a publisher for Hung Out To Die, my book which will identify who killed Moll Carthy (Mary McCarthy) and how they got away with it shortly.

Good to hear it is nearing release!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/a-murder-a-hanging-and-a-pardon-72-years-too-late-29563249.html

I was delighted to read about these new developments in the case. I wasn't aware that there was a group still actively campaigning to clear Harry Gleeson's name but it is apparent from today's reports that they have been working quietly and diligently behind the scenes to seek justice. I sincerely hope that his final wishes can be granted and that his name will be cleared. Perhaps even there is a possibility that his remains will be brought back to Tipperary to be re-interred.

I suppose it is important in all of this not to forget Moll Carthy who was so brutally murdered and her children who were left as orphans.

Looking forward to reading the forthcoming book on this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Lawstudent007

I was delighted to read about these new developments in the case. I wasn't aware that there was a group still actively campaigning to clear Harry Gleeson's name but it is apparent from today's reports that they have been working quietly and diligently behind the scenes to seek justice. I sincerely hope that his final wishes can be granted and that his name will be cleared. Perhaps even there is a possibility that his remains will be brought back to Tipperary to be re-interred.

I suppose it is important in all of this not to forget Moll Carthy who was so brutally murdered and her children who were left as orphans.

Looking forward to reading the forthcoming book on this case.

Im affraid It won't be possible to bring Mr. Gleeson's remains back to Tipp as he is buried within Mountjoy Prison grounds. The area where he is buried has been covered in tarmac. I am lead to believe that he was buried with other prisoners and the exact location of his body is unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭HelenV

Im affraid It won't be possible to bring Mr. Gleeson's remains back to Tipp as he is buried within Mountjoy Prison grounds. The area where he is buried has been covered in tarmac. I am lead to believe that he was buried with other prisoners and the exact location of his body is unknown.

Well all the man really wanted was that his name would be cleared and hopefully that day is not too far away.

Surely Mountjoy Prison would have kept some record of the area where he was buried and if he is eventually pardoned DNA tests could be carried out within a certain area. Then again probably not, this is Ireland.

Area any names etc. marked at the burial area?

Does anybody know what this new evidence is?

A lot of the evidence is not actually new, some of the facts have been known since the trial. The Irish Independent article last week gave a summary of the four new pieces of evidence. An important fact to bear in mind is that the state's case against Harry Gleeson rested on the fact that Moll Carthy was killed on Wednesday evening rather than Thursday morning.

1. Body temperature: the records show that Moll Carthy's body temperature, when taken shortly after her body was found, was 97 degrees. If she had been killed on Wednesday evening, her body temperature would have been much lower.

2. Gunshots were heard in the area on Wednesday evening and the state alleged that Gleeson had fired these shots and they were the shots that killed Moll. However, a farm labourer who worked with Gleeson, Tommy Reid, said that he heard these shots while both he and Gleeson were in the milking parlour. In effect, Tommy Reid provided an alibi for Gleeson. But this evidence was never presented at the time. Tommy Reid was taken into New Inn Garda station in the days after the murder and roughed up. Also, Mrs Cesear told both Reid and Gleeson to say nothing to the police. Marcus Bourke goes into this matter in detail in the final chapter of his book. He interviewed Tommy Reid while researching the book and it was only then that this revelation emerged. I believe there is a recording of Tommy Reid providing Gleeson with an alibi.

3. On her deathbed, one of Moll Carthy's daughters confided to a nurse that she had witnessed her mother being killed on their kitchen floor. This is a particularly shocking revelation. The nurse has provided a sworn affidavit to this effect.

4. The firearms register from Feehan's shop in Cashel was used to make a case that Gleeson had access to the type of cartridges that killed Moll. But the register was not presented in court and it is clear that the register was actually doctored to implicate Gleeson. The relevant page from the register is reproduced in Marcus Bourke's book.

• Advertisement

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭alyssum

mother of seven illegitimate children at 2 mins. Didn't think you could say that now

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭alyssum

Amtmann wrote: »
    I can tell you that a documentary a few years ago named one of her relatives as a probable member of this gang of three.
    what documentary, was it thou shalt not kill?

I believe there was a memorial notice for Moll Carthy published in the Irish Independent last week on the 73rd anniversary of her death. It was placed by family and friends of Harry Gleeson.

This was followed by an article from Jim Cusack in the Sunday Independent (below). The two main points of interest for me from the article are (i) three of Moll Carthy's children are still alive but can't be traced (ii) someone gives a very different perspective on the role of Sean MacBride in the defence of Gleeson.

Shatter orders case review 73 years after man hanged

IN MEMORIAM: The notice from the 'Irish Independent'
    JIM CUSACK – 24 NOVEMBER 2013

THE first in memoriam notice for the unmarried mother of six whose murder in 1940 is still the cause of controversy in Co Tipperary appeared last week.

The notice in the Irish Independent was placed by family and friends of Harry Gleeson, whose conviction for murder and hanging is currently being reviewed by a senior counsel on behalf of Justice Minister Alan Shatter, who has ordered a review of the case.

Bernadette Gorman, whose father Billy was a close friend of Harry Gleeson, believes along with others that there was a conspiracy involving the State, gardai and the IRA men whom, she believes, murdered Mary 'Moll' McCarthy in November 1940.

Until last week the anniversary of Ms McCarthy's murder had gone unmarked, though her death and the execution of Harry Gleeson has been the cause of frequent revisiting. Ms Gorman hopes the death notice will spark wider interest in the case and come to the notice of the remaining children or grandchildren of Ms McCarthy.

Her children would need to give "locus standi" consent for any re-examination of the case by the courts.

Ms McCarthy was killed in November 1940 when she was shot in the face with a shotgun. No image of her alive has been found. She reputedly had six children by six different local men and raised her family with money paid by the fathers of her children, according to local legend.

Ms Gorman, among others, believes that she was murdered by the father of her last child – who died in infancy – to cover up the parenthood.

The State case was that Harry Gleeson made Ms McCarthy pregnant then killed her because she threatened to expose his paternity. It was argued that Gleeson's aunt and uncle, whose farm he hoped to inherit, would remove him from their will.

Ms Gorman said her father was in business with Harry Gleeson and at the time Ms McCarthy became pregnant, her father and Gleeson were working "day and night" with each other at their harvesting business. They had invested in modern threshing and binding machinery and were extremely busy at the time, she said. Mr Gleeson's aunt and uncle's farm, where he was living, was beside the cottage where Ms McCarthy lived. Mr Gleeson found her body but denied her murder right up to the moment of his execution.

Her father was not called as a witness and was present in court when the death sentence was handed down.

"That lived with him for the rest of his life," she said.

She also said that her father described Sean MacBride, defence counsel for Mr Gleeson as "a Judas".

Mr MacBride was chief of staff of the IRA until 1936 and suspicions remain that he failed to mount an adequate defence in order to protect the local IRA unit who, some believe, murdered McCarthy.

Suspicions remain that Ms McCarthy had been made pregnant by a leading IRA man and that he and three others murdered her to cover up his parternity.

Ms McCarthy, who was said to have made no secret of having had her children all by different fathers, was the subject of vilification and was reputedly denounced by a local priest as the "Devil's disciple".

Following petitioning by people who believe there was a conspiracy and miscarriage of justice, Mr Shatter ordered that the case be reviewed by senior counsel with the prospect of the case being returned to the courts for review.

The murder at Marlhill, New Inn, Tipperary, was the subject of the book Thou Shalt not Kill by the RTE journalist Cathal O'Shannon in 1995.

O'Shannon believed there had been a conspiracy and miscarriage of justice.

A group of academics and interested parties have continued campaigning for the re-opening of the case and appealed to Mr Shatter last year, leading to the review of the case.

Sunday Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Spiritiser

I believe there was a memorial notice for Moll Carthy published in the Irish Independent last week on the 73rd anniversary of her death. It was placed by family and friends of Harry Gleeson.

This was followed by an article from Jim Cusack in the Sunday Independent (below). The two main points of interest for me from the article are (i) three of Moll Carthy's children are still alive but can't be traced (ii) someone gives a very different perspective on the role of Sean MacBride in the defence of Gleeson.

Shatter orders case review 73 years after man hanged

IN MEMORIAM: The notice from the 'Irish Independent'
    JIM CUSACK – 24 NOVEMBER 2013

THE first in memoriam notice for the unmarried mother of six whose murder in 1940 is still the cause of controversy in Co Tipperary appeared last week.

The notice in the Irish Independent was placed by family and friends of Harry Gleeson, whose conviction for murder and hanging is currently being reviewed by a senior counsel on behalf of Justice Minister Alan Shatter, who has ordered a review of the case.

Bernadette Gorman, whose father Billy was a close friend of Harry Gleeson, believes along with others that there was a conspiracy involving the State, gardai and the IRA men whom, she believes, murdered Mary 'Moll' McCarthy in November 1940.

Until last week the anniversary of Ms McCarthy's murder had gone unmarked, though her death and the execution of Harry Gleeson has been the cause of frequent revisiting. Ms Gorman hopes the death notice will spark wider interest in the case and come to the notice of the remaining children or grandchildren of Ms McCarthy.

Her children would need to give "locus standi" consent for any re-examination of the case by the courts.

Ms McCarthy was killed in November 1940 when she was shot in the face with a shotgun. No image of her alive has been found. She reputedly had six children by six different local men and raised her family with money paid by the fathers of her children, according to local legend.

Ms Gorman, among others, believes that she was murdered by the father of her last child – who died in infancy – to cover up the parenthood.

The State case was that Harry Gleeson made Ms McCarthy pregnant then killed her because she threatened to expose his paternity. It was argued that Gleeson's aunt and uncle, whose farm he hoped to inherit, would remove him from their will.

Ms Gorman said her father was in business with Harry Gleeson and at the time Ms McCarthy became pregnant, her father and Gleeson were working "day and night" with each other at their harvesting business. They had invested in modern threshing and binding machinery and were extremely busy at the time, she said. Mr Gleeson's aunt and uncle's farm, where he was living, was beside the cottage where Ms McCarthy lived. Mr Gleeson found her body but denied her murder right up to the moment of his execution.

Her father was not called as a witness and was present in court when the death sentence was handed down.

"That lived with him for the rest of his life," she said.

She also said that her father described Sean MacBride, defence counsel for Mr Gleeson as "a Judas".

Mr MacBride was chief of staff of the IRA until 1936 and suspicions remain that he failed to mount an adequate defence in order to protect the local IRA unit who, some believe, murdered McCarthy.

Suspicions remain that Ms McCarthy had been made pregnant by a leading IRA man and that he and three others murdered her to cover up his parternity.

Ms McCarthy, who was said to have made no secret of having had her children all by different fathers, was the subject of vilification and was reputedly denounced by a local priest as the "Devil's disciple".

Following petitioning by people who believe there was a conspiracy and miscarriage of justice, Mr Shatter ordered that the case be reviewed by senior counsel with the prospect of the case being returned to the courts for review.

The murder at Marlhill, New Inn, Tipperary, was the subject of the book Thou Shalt not Kill by the RTE journalist Cathal O'Shannon in 1995.

O'Shannon believed there had been a conspiracy and miscarriage of justice.

A group of academics and interested parties have continued campaigning for the re-opening of the case and appealed to Mr Shatter last year, leading to the review of the case.

Sunday Independent
    Thanks for posting that Marcus Bourke says Mr MacBride did his best and often spoke of his failure to save gleeson. He felt he may have had made an error by not calling any witness and/or challenging the prosecution at the pre trial hearing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement