Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Discovery ***Season 2*** [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

Discovery is such a poor show, there is no way they will be able to resist hauling out all of TOS main characters at some point. God forbid they would ever do there own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Interesting article about the Enterprise's appearance at the end of S1 and why it looked different (I've snipped the relevant bits)..
    Taking to Facebook to discuss the release of a calendar featuring an early design of the Discovery version, show designer John Eaves explained a bit about the process.

“The task started with the guideline that the Enterprise for Discovery had to be 25% different, ....... After Enterprise, properties of Star Trek ownership changed hands and was divided,, so what was able to cross TV shows up to that point changed and a lot of the crossover was no longer allowed,” he said. “That is why when JJ [Abrams]’s movie came along everything had to be different.

I remember Midnight's Edge going on about this in their Discovery coverage - seems like they were right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

That's interesting. I thought the TV crew had all the access they want to the previous Star Trek television assets, that the separation was between the TV shows and the movies?

Is it actually the case that TOS assets are off-limits to Discovery too? What do they have the rights for?

pixelburp wrote: »
    So Jonathan Frakes is back with Discovery, and has revealed some details about the second episode of Season 2. He mentioned that
    Spock is in his episode, albeit in younger form during flashback scenes. The chitchat doesn't confirm that a contemporary version will appear, only that a boy / teen version turns up.

That guy's got some loose lips.

I guess when you're the Frakes you can kinda get away with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Evade

Goodshape wrote: »
    That's interesting. I thought the TV crew had all the access they want to the previous Star Trek television assets, that the separation was between the TV shows and the movies?

Is it actually the case that TOS assets are off-limits to Discovery too? What do they have the rights for?
    That certainly explains the different look to everything but if they cant use TOS stuff it seems like a bad idea to set your series around that time period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

I knew there was something odd-looking about that Tribble in the captains collection. So it was 25% different from a TOS tribble?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Could explain the Klingons :pac:

Goodshape wrote: »

Midnight's Edge covered it here (8:55-13:19)

Whatever about their editorial slant, and bearing in mind the video was released last May, it goes into the licensing split and why Discovery looks the way it does.

Might have sounded like a conspiracy theory last year, but the article I referenced above would seem to confirm at least some of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Why on earth they don't have enough room in an entire universe for a completely story arc instead of rebooting existing ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

beauf wrote: »
    Why on earth they don't have enough room in an entire universe for a completely story arc instead of rebooting existing ones.

Because they want to appeal more to people who only have a passing familiarity with Star Trek, and what better way to do it than getting in the Enterprise!Spock! stuff the layman has heard of!! God forbid we would ever tell a fresh, new story!

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Interesting article about the Enterprise's appearance at the end of S1 and why it looked different (I've snipped the relevant bits)..
    Taking to Facebook to discuss the release of a calendar featuring an early design of the Discovery version, show designer John Eaves explained a bit about the process.

“The task started with the guideline that the Enterprise for Discovery had to be 25% different, ....... After Enterprise, properties of Star Trek ownership changed hands and was divided,, so what was able to cross TV shows up to that point changed and a lot of the crossover was no longer allowed,” he said. “That is why when JJ [Abrams]’s movie came along everything had to be different.

CBS have clarified that the design change was a creative decision, not a legal one. They do have full right to use the original TOS designs.
    CBS TV Studios does, in fact, have the right to use the U.S.S. Enterprise ship design from the past TV series, and are not legally required to make changes. The changes in the ship design were creative ones, made to utilize 2018’s VFX technology.

https://trekmovie.com/2018/04/17/star-trek-discovery-uss-enterprise-design-change-clarified-as-creative-decision-not-a-legal-one/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiClFLJAw-u/
    Do I hear prime Pike interspersed in that teaser?

flazio wrote: »
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BiClFLJAw-u/
    Do I hear prime Pike interspersed in that teaser?

.. and Spock, and updated TOS uniforms, and ship-specific badges, and an Enterprise computer graphic.

They seem to be making a determined effort to make it more in-line with TOS this time round anyway.

Looks good would be my judgement so far :)

So STD gets the standard Trek season one weirdness that'll never be brought up again?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd heard intimations that they'd kean further towards the designs from TOS, but didn't think they go that far! Those uniforms are quite aesthetically jarring against those from Discovery; I quite liked the new uniforms tbh. Felt just that, like uniforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

that teaser looks interesting, lots teased and all good - will be great if they stick with 1701 being the flagship and all operations in line with more ambassadorial roles being the reason for the uniform change...

BrookieD wrote: »
    that teaser looks interesting, lots teased and all good - will be great if they stick with 1701 being the flagship and all operations in line with more ambassadorial roles being the reason for the uniform change...
    The original Enterprise wasn't the flagship. Only the D was referred to as the Federation's flagship.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,562 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Evade wrote: »
    The original Enterprise wasn't the flagship. Only the D was referred to as the Federation's flagship.

And the E.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    And the E.
    Wasn't that only for the fleet in the battle of Sector 001?

Ms

Wasn't that only for the fleet in the battle of Sector 001?

Surely they would have there best most experienced crew and there newest ship as the flagship of the fleet at least until a better ship and crew come anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Surely they would have there best most experienced crew and there newest ship as the flagship of the fleet at least until a better ship and crew come anyway.
    That's a good argument but it was never mentioned on screen as far as I know. I think they finally realised they were using the term incorrectly and just dropped it.

Ms

That's a good argument but it was never mentioned on screen as far as I know. I think they finally realised they were using the term incorrectly and just dropped it.

Ye maybe. Still I think the Enterprise is the ship most in the Federation would want to serve on at some stage in there career.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ye maybe. Still I think the Enterprise is the ship most in the Federation would want to serve on at some stage in there career.

I certainly wouldn't serve on a Miranda Class. They seem very explody.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

I certainly wouldn't serve on a Miranda Class. They seem very explody.
    I dunno. They were in service for over 100 years, they can't be that bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it's probably because Wrath of Khan was some of my first exposure to Trek, but I really like the Miranda design. There's a certain pragmatism and industry mixed into the design that the showier models of Federation ship lack. Like it feels more robust than other types...

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

First photos from season 2 have appeared, and while one is just Burnham looking pensive (apparently on board the Enterprise), the other is a good look at a new (alien) character Linus. The makeup and prosthetics remain impressive looking :

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-images-of-star-trek-discovery-season-two-sho-1827601166

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Comic Con Season 2 trailer:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

30,000 light years.

Definitely the Enterprise isn't gonna cover that but are we going to be seeing Spore drive action or maybe some transwarp or why did they say pulsar? Is it going to be some using of pulsars to build up energy and speed. Could something like the borg transwarp hub be around a pulsar? Maybe the original makers of the transwarp conduits?

Advertisement