Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honestly, what do you think about Season 8? Mod warning post #1/#410

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I usually watch a new episode twice, a couple days after the first view.

With Season 8 I haven’t been bothered to rewatch any of them, especially episode 5. To me that’s speaks for itself.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    It's a rather hollow experience so far.

Marvel's Game of Thrones.

Marvel tend to stick to their characters' defined traits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sleepy wrote: »
    Benioff & Weiss had the Star Wars trilogy dangled in front of them and abandoned the show that should have been their masterpiece.

Is that why it was such a rushed season? I wondered why, when the show is so popular, they would want to make fewer episodes for the last season. Even season 7 had some pretty shoddy pacing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

kowloon wrote: »
    Is that why it was such a rushed season? I wondered why, when the show is so popular, they would want to make fewer episodes for the last season. Even season 7 had some pretty shoddy pacing.

HBO were more than happy to have more episodes and more series. D&D wanted to wrap things up though. Probably a combination of being tired of the project, not knowing what to do to finish it up, and also having a brand new contract with Disney being offered to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

the petition to redo s8 has hit over 1 million signatures https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers?use_react=false
    that was fast..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Lone Stone wrote: »
    the petition to redo s8 has hit over 1 million signatures https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers?use_react=false
    that was fast..
    I went to sign it on behalf of the Night King but I was told that night.king@gmail.com had already been used to sign the petition :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Nody wrote: »
    I went to sign it on behalf of the Night King but I was told that night.king@gmail.com had already been used to sign the petition :P

Love it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

that was fast..

Too bad these things never work. Surely people realistically don't think that it will? I've accepted the show isn't ending the way I envisaged at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Too bad these things never work. Surely people realistically don't think that it will? I've accepted the show isn't ending the way I envisaged at this stage.

Most people will be smart enough to know it wont do anything, i hope

Still it's a bit of a middle finger to HBO and the Davids, if it achieves nothing else it's another way to let them know how pissed people are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Yea I doubt it would, it's more of a **** you to DnD for the **** writing, gone up over 50k since yesterday wonder how many will sign after the final episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Yea I doubt it would, it's more of a **** you to DnD for the **** writing, gone up over 50k since yesterday wonder how many will sign after the final episode.

Hopefully the anger is enough to derail their future projects that's the only thing that would give me satisfaction. Read something about them having a clause in their contract saying they couldn't be removed as showrunners. Surely that can't be right because this show is ending possibly two seasons early because the hatchet job they've done in the last 2 years just to finish their obligation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Wow.

Just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Season 8 (and season 7) were always going to be in trouble with fans due to their shortened episode numbers. Season 7 painted itself in to a serious corner with the "teleportation" issues raised by characters appearing one place and then another in seemingly no time at all. This followed through right in to season 8 too.....this was just one example of many of the rushed nature of the final two seasons.

Character's story-lines/arcs being finished off in non typical fashion was another (Jamie, Varys, Dany, Jon and the Night King all fell foul of this). Again I think mainly down to the rushed timelines for the final seasons.

Having no direct source material to work with is another major issue. Once the book material was used up the show seemed to struggled. Every major story-line suffered somewhat from this too. In fairness though, the "Battle of the Bastards" episode is one of my favorite episodes and that was all down to the current show runners with some input from GRRM so credit where credit is due.

The writers wanting to move on to other projects is understandable too but damn their pride, they should have handed the reins over to someone else to give it the finish it deserved. I'm sure HBO would have been more than willing to keep the show on the road for another 2 or 3 full seasons. At least then Game of Thrones would have joined the ranks of their other shows that were closed out in a satisfactory way (The Wire, The Sopranos, Six Feet Under) and other networks' shows (Breaking Bad).

Instead it's all going to end on a very lukewarm (if they're lucky) note, I'll still watch the finale and I have enjoyed the show up to now but there will always be that lingering feeling of what might have been at the back of my mind.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I don't get why David Benioff and D.B. Weiss couldn't have stepped back and HBO replace them? This series deserved more. The fans deserved more. I think they failed themselves more than us and the show.

But this shambles should not rest of just those two. I'm sure when they signed up to this, they were under the impression that GRRM would have completed the source material but he didn't. He also deserves some credit for these last 2 seasons.

HBO, when the two announced it was going to end, shouldn't have sat back and allowed it. GoT is huge, fans would have been happy to see it go on for a while longer and stick to the shows true core. But basically those two are bigger than the show, apparently.

Either way, it's a unfortunate end to what has been a great TV show. They will regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Enjoying it more than 5 and 7. As a book reader the show has been disappointing me for years to varying degrees so expectations have been kept in check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

D&D completely shat the bed for Season 7 + 8. This is going down as the biggest mistake in tv history for me. Everything that made the show great has been scrubbed by them. They had the cast, they had the story, they had the fans, they had the budget, they had the time, they had all the help, they had the best special effects/music/stunt performers in the business etcetera. And yet they managed to **** up the show. :mad:

Dany becoming worse than Hitler in the space of an episode and a half is so stupid. I would have been happy to see her descend deeper and deeper into madness for a few seasons in a proper way.
    With Vary's treason on Dany taking all of 2 episodes.
    Tyrion becoming a complete dumb dumb.
    LittleFinger hanging around Winterfell when he is the acting commander of the Knights of the Vale was so stupid. I mean, his plan was to get a sister to murder another sister, it doesn't make sense for him to be there doing that.
    What was the point of the Faceless Men if they are not being used in some way afterwards.
    Jon becoming a side character and not really talking.
    Jamie sleeping with Brienne doesn't make sense if he still wanted Cersie.
    What about the cities that Dany freed from slavery.
    Why isn't Hot Pie in every episode. The secret is to brown the butter first.
    Why did Theon have archers. Why were the big catapults not behind the wall.
    I want to know about Howland Reed.
    I wanted the giant wolf pack to do some crazy attack at some stage.
    Are the Children of the Forest all dead.
    On and on and on with the crap they have done to the end of this show.

There's so much to the story being left out because D&D want to move onto Star Wars. Remember Kit Harrington saying how the Winterfell battle took 61 cold nights of filming, and D&D would show up once a week and give some notes. They phoned in their jobs as writers and show runners.

This show needed 10 seasons to do the show justice. There are SO many story lines that were carefully interwoven for the first 6 seasons. And that has been abandoned.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Just watched the last one. Against my better judgement. What a load of balls.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Crap season. Finale wasn't as terrible as I expected. In isolation, it was even OK.

I've made my peace with it. Honestly considering what came before, it could've been worse.

They didn't **** the bed at Dexter levels, but they really did GOT a poor service in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I really enjoyed the series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Finale satisfied my expectations as I didn't have any and I just rolled with what they did. Season overall was rushed, messy and full of convenient plot twist to get to an end. Not all bad though - Episodes 1&2 were good for me, 3 was spectacular and mostly worked well, darkness aside, but downhill from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

liam7831 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the series

Me too. I just enjoyed the first 7 seasons way more than the last one. Some people are taking themselves way too seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

No matter what/how the wrapped things up there'd be disquiet.
    A few tweaks in some charachters aside, it ticked most boxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Really disappointed with the finale. After 8years of pure brilliance it was such a let down.

I could write lots about it but I'll just say that season 8 was sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

For 2 weeks to pass during an ad break is a little bit of what ruined episode 6 for me, was kind of surreal watching it unfold. There was 2 really great episodes in 8 the rest were not the best or as great as they should/could have been. It is what it is though.

Would have loved for bran to say
    "You like stories, Iv'e got a story....."
    fairly disappointed at how the last episode went.

Expectation probably got the better of a few people including myself. Overall season 8 was alright (just). Have not read the books but felt as though there was a lot cut out of season 8 that probably should have been in it!

Now that it's done and dusted, it can do down as a final season that is objectively crap.

I watched all of Dexter and while it was a load of **** at the end, that descent had been on the cards for ages. Same in GoT, but I guess the hype made many believe that something good was just around the corner. It wasn't.

After episode 2, I said four more episodes was too many and I'd rather even fewer. I was right. It just meant more time to consistently disappoint. Thank God it's over. Never thought I'd say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

I, like many thought ep 2 to be enlightening. Ah well, that's a shame for you to hope that. Wouldn't agree but sure each to their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,244 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Yakult wrote: »
    I don't get why David Benioff and D.B. Weiss couldn't have stepped back and HBO replace them?

From any of the interviews I've seen them in they seem like two extremely arrogant people .

I feared the worst when they were touting Confederacy as their next project and announced that Seasons 7 and 8 would be a total of 13 episodes.

Why did they feel the need to announce their next project when Game of Thrones was the most high profile tv series in the world.

Maybe the cast wouldn't commit to more than 8 seasons but surely they could have had two series of 10 episodes for the final two seasons using two different crews.

HBO probably thought the two boys could bring home the bacon in 13 episodes but their faith was terribly misplaced.
    Martin cant even finish the 6th book after 8 years work but the two boys thought they could do it in 13 episodes .:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I gave them a reprieve, even defended them for the first 5 episodes, but I think S8E6 is as a finale one of the biggest disappointments in TV history, and thats not an exxageration.

R+L=J, fans have been drooling over this since Book 1, when the TV show was barely a twinkle in D&D's eyes. It came to nothing, an acknowledgement, and ASOIAF's biggest hero pettered out with barely a whimper, his fate not his own choosing.

Varys, his development allowed to fester in S7 and then wiped out within the opening credits of S8E5.

Tyrion, arguably our favorite character due to his wit, his background and his adventure. He became a moron who betrayed his friends and couldnt negotiate his way out of a paper bag.

They pandered. They checked what the top scoring posts on reddit were for the past 8 years and delivered Cleganebowl, Ghost, tons of unnecessary character link ups or reunions. Happy endings for nearly everyone. The Starks nice and happy. It cheapened everything.

Useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

They didn't **** the bed at Dexter levels, but they really did GOT a poor service in the end.

When this is considered a positive you know you have problems

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I didn't really have an issue with where the characters ended up and what happened but everything was just so rushed it made all the big moments feel extremely hollow and a bit flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Meh. That's really all I can say about the final episode. It was reminiscent of the interminable ending to LOTR.

All the subtlety and surprise of the earlier seasons was lost in seasons 7 & 8. The battle scenes were spectacular and there some other good scenes but too much of it was clunky exposition and driven by the requirement wrap things up quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Season 8 seemed to get a bit of hate online and some of that is natural though even for a total writing-no-mark like me it seemed rushed and poorly executed in parts.
    All in all the final episode of the final season was anti-climactic.
    No big showdown with Danerys (sp?). Didn't even have to slay a Dragon. They could have done another 2 episodes with a massive battle of Starks Vs Danerys and dragon.
    And what was the story with the romance with Brienne of Tarth and Jaime Lannister?
    It was a far remove from the show that gave us the red-wedding.

Shapiro gives a pretty reasonable overview:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭golfball37

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I didn't really have an issue with where the characters ended up and what happened but everything was just so rushed it made all the big moments feel extremely hollow and a bit flat.

My thoughts exactly. Had we arrived at that ending after a few episodes build up and at least a few episodes of Dany being mad then the ending would have been fine. The long night ended too abruptly too in retrospect.

It's a shame that it was cancelled after season 6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Bran being king. The most boring character who always looks half baked... Anyone but Bran...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm with you on Bran - far and away my least favourite character. Final episode was a big disappointment for me in general. The carry on with the dragon was beyond ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

At least then Game of Thrones would have joined the ranks of their other shows that were closed out in a satisfactory way (The Wire, The Sopranos, Six Feet Under) and other networks' shows (Breaking Bad).

The Sopranos ending was possibly the worst ending to any show I've ever watched!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

golfball37 wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly. Had we arrived at that ending after a few episodes build up and at least a few episodes of Dany being mad then the ending would have been fine. The long night ended too abruptly too in retrospect.

I genuinely think it would have benefited from making two full ten episode seasons out of the last 6 episodes we got. Have the penultimate season end with the battle of winterfell and then have a whole season to deal with Dany/Cersei.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I genuinely think it would have benefited from making two full ten episode seasons out of the last 6 episodes we got. Have the penultimate season end with the battle of winterfell and then have a whole season to deal with Dany/Cersei.

The worst part is that what was crucially missing was dialogue driven interactions and character development to support directions the show went in.

It's not like people are calling out for more explosions, battles, dragons or whatever.

It just feels like the writers thought it was too much effort.

In fact, the only decent dialogue driven episode of S8 is E02, and that wasn't even written by Benioff and Weiss. Pretty telling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

I actually thought the first half of the last episode was good, right up until the scene with Tyrion declaring the new king. The sudden jump from Jon killing Dany to that was extremely jarring. I honesty thought with the way that scene started they were getting ready to execute Tyrion. From there on out not a whole lot made sense;

Why didn't the Unsullied kill Jon?
    How did they even know Dany was dead?
    Who picks a king in 5 minutes?
    Bran? The same person who said he could never be a lord is happy to become king?
    Why did no one mention Jon being the rightful heir to the throne, not even in passing? I mean Varys was sending all those letters
    Where were the Tullys and the Dornish this whole time?
    Why would Sansa say the Northmen wouldn't bend the knee when the new king is the rightful heir to Winterfell?
    Why didn't anyone else try for independence?
    Why did Bronn need to be in this season at all?

It's honestly the only time I've followed a show for this long and genuinely felt happy that it's all over. I think that's a real shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

There's another epic death they missed out on / screwed up.
    I figured Cersei would have met her faith (if at all) by way of having Dany blow her out of the tower with Dragon fire or melt her as she sat on the Iron Throne - something epic. But instead a load of bricks fell on her.

The Sopranos ending was possibly the worst ending to any show I've ever watched!

It was pretty well done.

You'd be in the minority on that one.

Bit of reaction at the time about the very last scene but as time goes on that restaurant scene at the end is seen as clever.

got is a shambles in comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,244 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Xcellor wrote: »
    Bran being king. The most boring character who always looks half baked... Anyone but Bran...

Didn't Bran mumble a few weeks ago after the Battle of Winterfell that he was no longer the Lord of Winterfell ,he was no longer Bran Stark ,he was now the Three Eyed Raven .

In the finale he seems to be back to Bran and gagging to be King .

There has been no logic in Series 8 ,none at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Diceicle wrote: »
    There's another epic death they missed out on / screwed up.
    I figured Cersei would have met her faith (if at all) by way of having Dany blow her out of the tower with Dragon fire or melt her as she sat on the Iron Throne - something epic.

that would have been great.

similarly they could have had Jon sit on the throne after offing Dany and wait for Drogon to come and finish him off.

Drogon could also have brought Dany north of the wall to have her ressurected as the Night Queen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

It was perhaps a victim of it's own success. The earlier seasons before it became a pop culture phenomenon were wrought with dialogue, plotting and characterization. It didn't have the enormous budget the latter seasons enjoyed. I guess if you give someone a hammer (big productions costs) then all they will see is nails (big set pieces, spectacles, style over substance) while losing focus on the writing which ironically was what gave them the 'hammer'. Each seasons spectacle (when the budget increased) became inversely proportional to the quality of the dialogue, plotting and characterization.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭fits

I must be in the minority. GRRM had tied himself up in a complete knot with the books and I think the writers did an excellent job of unwinding it. I’m happy with how it panned out for the most part. I’m much more disappointed with the two most recent books than the tv series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

I enjoyed it.
    4k BluRay preordered and will be happy to have them sit in my collection.

It had its flaws, a little rushed in places IMO but over all season 8 had an epic sequel movie vibe off it.

As stories where wound down to a proper conclusion with no potential of a sequel this was always how it was going to go.

I always wondered had GRRM not really known how to finish it all, gave the writers a roadmap and pushed them off the cliff to annoy the fans so he can fix his story and say look this is where it was going to go all along.

To conclude this was always going to p*ss off a massive part of the fan base, so many people had their theories to discuss and impart, so when people are attempting to figure it all out and write their own story. You are going to upset people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

loyatemu wrote: »
    Drogon could also have brought Dany north of the wall to have her ressurected as the Night Queen.

That would have been an absolutely dense storyline...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

That would have been an absolutely dense storyline...

:D

A friend of mine suggested the final scene should have zoomed in on Bran and his eyes going blue like the dead

• Advertisement
Advertisement