Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen with no priors gets 4 month suspended sentence for selling cannabis

Options
  • 16-09-2020 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Given the breadth of abuses and apathetic behaviours through sectors, it seems grossly disproportionate to give a 19 year old *with no priors* a 4 month sentence for possessing €92 of cannabis with intent to sell / supply - especially considering that in many other Western countries - cannabis is effectively decriminalised or legal:

https://www.herald.ie/news/courts/teen-was-caught-with-92-cannabis-hidden-in-boxers-39534847.html

I wonder what kind of outcry there would be if equivalent sentences were awarded for all kinds of minor possession amongst Dublin's private schools? Seems crazy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

turbot wrote: »
    especially considering that in many other Western countries - cannabis is effectively decriminalised or legal:
    How is that at all relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Given the breadth of abuses and apathetic behaviours through sectors, it seems grossly disproportionate to give a 19 year old *with no priors* a 4 month sentence for possessing €92 of cannabis with intent to sell / supply - especially considering that in many other Western countries - cannabis is effectively decriminalised or legal:

https://www.herald.ie/news/courts/teen-was-caught-with-92-cannabis-hidden-in-boxers-39534847.html

I wonder what kind of outcry there would be if equivalent sentences were awarded for all kinds of minor possession amongst Dublin's private schools? Seems crazy!

Intent to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Ridiculous waste of time and money

you can only change things by starting today

dealers are scum.

"no priors" fcuk off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Misleading thread title. From the linked article:
    Judge Paula Murphy gave him a four-month suspended sentence.

You left out ‘suspended’ for some reason in your title and post.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

He got a 4 month suspended sentence.

Ridiculous all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

it seems grossly disproportionate to give a 19 year old *with no priors* a 4 month sentence for possessing €92 of cannabis with intent to sell / supply - especially considering that in many other Western countries - cannabis is effectively decriminalised or legal:
    That is irrelevant.

That is speculation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

In fairness, its a suspended sentence so he wont do jail time unless he commits another crime within a certain time frame. He had 2 deals worth 92 quid, if it was personal use would he not just have it as 1 single deal.

Cannibas should be like it is in Amsterdam, you can smoke if you want etc but more so I would like to see it legalised for its medicinal qualities so we might see more advances in relief for patients from it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

"Two deals worth €92"

Because scoring a '46 spot' is of course the standard for street deals, along with €67 bags of coke and pills for €11.43.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

sabat wrote: »
    "Two deals worth €92"

Because scoring a '46 spot' is of course the standard for street deals, along with €67 bags of coke and pills for €11.43.

A fifty to sell and a fifty for himself that he already smoked some of perhaps.

• Advertisement

No priors meaning he's not been caught before.

Suspended sentence. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

"Two deals worth €92"

Light bags :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Misleading thread title. From the linked article:

You left out ‘suspended’ for some reason in your title and post.

He still gets a conviction that will follow him throughout his life for an error of judgement made in his teens. There wouldn't be the same avenue for making that mistake if the sale of cannabis was regulated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

s1ippy wrote: »
    He still gets a conviction that will follow him throughout his life for an error of judgement made in his teens. There wouldn't be the same avenue for making that mistake if the sale of cannabis was regulated.

Doesn’t take from the fact that the posters thread title and opening post are misleading.

I see that the original poster has thanked your post above, but unfortunately has not addressed the misleading information.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It should be legalized. It's much less harmful then alcohol or cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

There wouldn't be the same avenue for making that mistake if the sale of cannabis was regulated.

Talk about stating the obvious! You're right, if he hadn't been doing something illegal he wouldn't have been arrested and convicted, but he did and he was.

Whether you agree with the legalisation of cannabis or no the fact is the world and his mother knows selling it is illegal. No one forced him to break the law, he chose to do it knowing the potential punishment. Acting like this is some grave injustice is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

"Two deals worth €92"

Get you through Covid level 2.5 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Talk about stating the obvious! You're right, if he hadn't been doing something illegal he wouldn't have been arrested and convicted, but he did and he was.

Whether you agree with the legalisation of cannabis or no the fact is the world and his mother knows selling it is illegal. No one forced him to break the law, he chose to do it knowing the potential punishment. Acting like this is some grave injustice is ridiculous.

Point is having 92 Euro of cannabis shouldn't be illegal. Ever. But now he has a record which will prohibit him from a host of jobs. It's frankly ridiculous. You can freely walk into any pub(pre covid) and get a drug that is far more dangerous.

David McWilliams (I know some of ye hate him but he does have some good points) had a podcast recently where he said in 100 years time we look back at the war on drugs and wonder what the hell society was at. Hopefully it'll come sooner but I don't see it. People love to judge and make out cannabis smokers are destitute or all dealers or all layabouts when the vast majority hold decent jobs and like a joint at the weekend to relax. And it's more relaxing for a lot of people than alcohol. And minus the hangover too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Was going to say excellent
    Then I see suspended sentence so my only thought is fecking typical Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Isn't it true that far worse crimes, have received far less harsh sentencing.

Meanwhile, and slightly related, the folks over in the uk have announced a new crackdown on all burglars, theives and robbers.
    They will now all be monitored 24/7 with GPS tags (constantly store and track all movements) when released, this a part of BoJo's new crime overhaul.
    note: This would also include shoplifters.

Brings a new theme to covid track n' trace.

• Advertisement

You forgot to mention it was a suspended sentence. No story here, move along

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How do you even quantify 2 euro worth of cannabis as a dealer? Seems really odd.

'Hello Mr dealer, I will have exactly 92 euros worth of cannabis - no more, no less'

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

He still gets a conviction that will follow him throughout his life
    ollkiller wrote: »
    But now he has a record which will prohibit him from a host of jobs.
    The record will be effectively extinguished after seven years.

There are some circumstances where he will always have to declare the conviction - e.g. if he ever applies to become a Garda - but this will not automatically exclude him from getting in.

I agree that people have gotten off with the probation act for more serious offences, but we shouldn't overstate the impact of a conviction. This is not the US where you can be evicted or denied basic rights for having a conviction.

seamus wrote: »
    The record will be effectively extinguished after seven years.

There are some circumstances where he will always have to declare the conviction - e.g. if he ever applies to become a Garda - but this will not automatically exclude him from getting in.

I agree that people have gotten off with the probation act for more serious offences, but we shouldn't overstate the impact of a conviction. This is not the US where you can be evicted or denied basic rights for having a conviction.

Good to know. Wasn't aware it goes after 7 years. Still ridiculous but at least that's something.

screamer wrote: »
    Was going to say excellent
    Then I see suspended sentence so my only thought is fecking typical Ireland

I have to ask but I'll probably regret it. Do you think a 19 year old should get a criminal record for having 92 Euro (even saying 92 Euro makes me laugh) worth of cannabis. Its probation act at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

So Drug Dealer gets 4 months for selling drugs.....good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Do the crime; do the time.

It is teenagers who are out shooting and stabbing each other and petrol bombing houses of families to enforce gang control. About time some Judge somewhere started imposing some consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

A drug dealer is a drug dealer. Nothing more you can say.
    He is a scummy idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

"Two deals worth €92"

https://youtu.be/6i_XfgdNUUk

• Advertisement

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    If the law should be changed, then change it.

Do you think the the judge should fail to apply the law of the land, just because you think its a bit severe?

The guy was selling illegal drugs. Like it or lump it, thats what he was doing.

This 'its only cannabis' business, tell that to all the parents whose kids developed psychiatric illness from smoking weed.

First off the judge should have applied the probation act. He's hardly the next John Gilligan with his 92 Euro (how did they even come up with that figure, I'm still laughing at that).

Regarding psychiatric illness in a very small percentage of cases where the person already has a disposition for psychiatric illness it can bring it on more quickly. And the vast majority of cases it's where teenagers from any young age up to 18 or 19 smoke too much. If our government actually cared there would be a campaign to tell people if you're going to smoke it fine. But don't do it until you're at least 19 or 20. **** all hope of that though.

And still less harmful than alcohol. And btw FYI cannabis isn't the gateway drug. It's alcohol. Most people who try harder drugs are merry or drunk when they try them. Inhibitions down and all that.

Advertisement