Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen with no priors gets 4 month suspended sentence for selling cannabis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

endainoz wrote: »
    Eh sorry what? Soft heroin? Are you out of your mind?

"Death sentences for weed dealers" indicates yes.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Im melting away

Truthvader wrote: »
    Heavy sighing noise...........

No no-one said they want all drug dealers "locked up" - or a Saudi hand cutting society. But if you are dealing drugs/ hash there should be some consequence if you are an adult. A suspended sentence maybe? Anyone who has children knows that they can do dumb things but there should be a consequence otherwise you end up in a dysfunctional tailspin of opinion as already evidenced here with people pitching in with what they "consider".

The gay point above is a much better argument and I don't have a 100% answer to that. The anti gay law was clearly nonsense. The anti drug law is clearly not. Leaving aside the babyish "personal choice" argument even hash generates huge waste of college drop outs, mental health issues and just plain good old fashioned disappointment

If a person smokes weed (good hash is harder to come by now) and is happy, causing no one any bother, what's their issues to anyone else, who is anyone to consider another person a "plain good of fashioned disappointed?"

The mental health argument, it isn't for everyone and isn't harmless either if abused, because it's illegal it's grown for its strength, at least if it's tolarated you could choose your strength while paying tax, while not doing a lucky dip which is currently the case as its illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭endainoz

Maybe he's on that heroin weed

Hard to deal drugs if you're not alive ;) Countries with death sentences for drug dealers have no issues with drugs in their society. Maybe that's just a massive coincidence...

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Yes he should. He's breaking the law. How hard is this for you to understand???
    You willingly bow down to your law making masters without question? Yes?

You follow orders, laws without question? You sound like a dangerous human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,995 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

nthclare wrote: »
    The only problem is if Tom's a stoner, he's the last guy I want to be working with.

Worked with a few and they're always forgetful, don't know their arse from their elbow.

Give them a set of spanner's and they'll go through the whole lot to find the right size.

They're harmless and definitely not violent, but working with one or relying on a stoner is a nightmare...

...which violates the Harm Principle that Tadpole's post centers around.
    Cannabis does not encourage anti social behavior. Have you ever smoked cannabis?

Yes it does and yes I have. Naturally this doesn't mean whenever you smoke it you go off and vandalize the city streets etc. but if your kids aren't being looked after right because you're always stoned off your face, that's not very helpful either. And driving stoned, is a risk. And, yes, I have driven stoned before. It seriously messes with your reaction times and results in all sorts of poor road behavior, with no good way for traffic enforcement to test individuals for blood content. I don't recommend it, it is not safe.

As many laws as I think may be bull**** they are still laws and there is a lawful process for addressing that, which begins with petitioning your lawmakers and voting in elections.

Yes, people who follow the law are dangerous humans. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Get a grip of yourself and stop doing drugs you'll end up not making a fool of yourself.

You're arguing over the poster. The lad's been caught and convicted in a court of law. That's not synonymous with saying he'd never jaywalk etc. - individuals skirt the law all the time, but they do so at their own risk - those risks can include legal consequences, as in this case.

And Portugal has seen an increase in drug use BECAUSE of decriminalising it. No thanks, we have enough scum as it is without giving them the green light to keep screwing society up.

I'm sure it has.

https://transformdrugs.org/drug-decriminalisation-in-portugal-setting-the-record-straight/

• Advertisement

nthclare wrote: »
    The only problem is if Tom's a stoner, he's the last guy I want to be working with.

Worked with a few and they're always forgetful, don't know their arse from their elbow.

Give them a set of spanner's and they'll go through the whole lot to find the right size.

They're harmless and definitely not violent, but working with one or relying on a stoner is a nightmare...

If Tom's stoned while on the job, you're absolutely right. If he's doing in his own time, you have no say in the matter. Chances are, someone you work with IS getting stoned on their own time and you don't even know about it.

Article makes no mention crime levels in Portugal. Refuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,175 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Cannabis is illegal. Because it is illegal, there exists a black market for it. If someone wants to make easy money, they might sell cannabis.

Then they are caught. Then people moan about how they think it should be legalised.

But if it was legalised, it is likely that there would be less money in selling it. That just means the dealer looking for the easy money would sell the next illegal drug. His motivation for selling it is the money. He probably doesn't care what he is selling. No money in cannabis tomorrow, then he'll sell the next thing that there is money in

Legalising it wouldn't have meant this fella would be never caught dealing. It would probably just mean that he'd have been caught dealing a different drug

Hard to deal drugs if you're not alive ;) Countries with death sentences for drug dealers have no issues with drugs in their society. Maybe that's just a massive coincidence...

Ah, Shaira Law. Interesting idea, but I'll disagrew with you on that one.

Overheal wrote: »
    You're arguing over the poster. The lad's been caught and convicted in a court of law. That's not synonymous with saying he'd never jaywalk etc. - individuals skirt the law all the time, but they do so at their own risk - those risks can include legal consequences, as in this case.
    Convicted of a bull**** law. Would the same be applied to these men?

https://gcn.viralbamboo.com/state-apology-offered-convicted-gay-men/

Men convicted of a bull**** law. Yet still convicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

ollkiller wrote: »
    First off the judge should have applied the probation act. He's hardly the next John Gilligan with his 92 Euro (how did they even come up with that figure, I'm still laughing at that).

Regarding psychiatric illness in a very small percentage of cases where the person already has a disposition for psychiatric illness it can bring it on more quickly. And the vast majority of cases it's where teenagers from any young age up to 18 or 19 smoke too much. If our government actually cared there would be a campaign to tell people if you're going to smoke it fine. But don't do it until you're at least 19 or 20. **** all hope of that though.

And still less harmful than alcohol. And btw FYI cannabis isn't the gateway drug. It's alcohol. Most people who try harder drugs are merry or drunk when they try them. Inhibitions down and all that.

Spot on.

The law is an ass, agreed. But the question is: is the sentence proportionate to the crime committed?

Cannabis is illegal. Because it is illegal, there exists a black market for it. If someone wants to make easy money, they might sell cannabis.

Then they are caught. Then people moan about how they think it should be legalised.

But if it was legalised, it is likely that there would be less money in selling it. That just means the dealer looking for the easy money would sell the next illegal drug. His motivation for selling it is the money. He probably doesn't care what he is selling. No money in cannabis tomorrow, then he'll sell the next thing that there is money in

Legalising it wouldn't have meant this fella would be never caught dealing. It would probably just mean that he'd have been caught dealing a different drug
    Easy answer. Legalize it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

But why? I'd like you to really think about it and I'm interested in your response.

Lets say I buy some drugs off Tom. Tom grows the drugs himself. I buy them off him, myself and my wife smoke them in our home. We eat our weight in chocolate, laugh at some movies and then go asleep.

Why do you believe that Tom should receive a criminal penalty for this? I should be convicted for having it? Simply because the government has determined it to be illegal? Based upon lies. Is this the only reason?

Really??

Leaving aside the rationale for the law, - the drugs make "I" useless to everyone and the rest of us end up paying for his house and his therapy and health care when his liver collapses because it turns out Tom had no idea what he was growing etc etc

Because in a democracy the people elect a government to make the rules by which we all live. The deal is that we all follow the rules and if we don't like then we elect a different government and Tom doesn't sell drugs that the government have decided are illegal or let his kid drive his lorry, or murder his neighbour because he is a Protestant etc etc.

So thats the way it is until Ming Flanagan takes control, drugs are legal and everyone gets a free house and money forever and everything is so cool maaan.

Until then Tom gets arrested and its Leo and Micheal on the telly

Cannabis use has slightly increased while literally every other drug is down. If your pedantic enough to believe cannabis is a drug it's still down overall from all drugs. You can't even warp stats to suit your fake narrative. Their health based approach to addiction is working well also, but that doesn't fit your narrative of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Sigh. Have you led a sheltered existence to be so closed minded?

The law is an ass, agreed. But the question is: is the sentence proportionate to the crime committed?
    A criminal conviction? That has now destroyed his chances of a multitude of jobs. Added thousands to any insurance premium. Banned from entering the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, a whole host of others. His name, picture in the paper. Forever on the Gardai radar. For a plant?

Yes, I would argue it is 100% dis proportionate.

A whataboutism. Per the head of the article they were convicted under the law as it existed before 1993. The courts don't get to decide if the law is "bull****" or not, if it's constitutional, it flies. For instance in the US, when the Supreme Court heard Dred Scott v. Sandford, there were no Reconstruction Amendments, and slavery had not been abolished. As the laws of the lands existed at the time, the SCOTUS was left with little other choice than to conclude by the laws of the day, slavery was constitutional (because, it was).

If government later wants to decriminalize something and then vacate sentences and expunge records, that's a separate matter from the issue from the OP. Similarly, in the 1993~ case, clearly the public petitioned the government for same sex reforms, and got them. This has not yet occurred with cannabis, and until it does, the courts are left upholding the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,175 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Easy answer. Legalize it all.

No. That's the stupid answer.

Would you have any controls around it at all? Minimum age? Licensed distributors or sales outlets? Or just have a free for all and anything goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

The illegality of the substance is highly questionable, I still havent heard a reasonable justification for it from anywhere or why that reasonable justification hasnt been applied to other legal, more harmful drugs. The government shouldnt get to play favourites with the legality of drugs. Either the science backs the justification or it doesn't, in weeds case I really dont think it does.

Quite simply, the people in power havent got the guts or foresight to make the necessary changes to the legislation. Let millions of our Gnp **** off to Spain and Amsterdam because theyre scared of a plant that gives you the giggles. It's all those autopsy reports of weed overdoses.

Article makes no mention crime levels in Portugal. Refuted.

DRUG USE LEVELS. Not crime levels. Well done on trying to move the goalposts. Refuted.

Truthvader wrote: »
    Really??

Leaving aside the rationale for the law, - the drugs make "I" useless to everyone and the rest of us end up paying for his house and his therapy and health care when his liver collapses because it turns out Tom had no idea what he was growing etc etc

Because in a democracy the people elect a government to make the rules by which we all live. The deal is that we all follow the rules and if we don't like then we elect a different government and Tom doesn't sell drugs that the government have decided are illegal or let his kid drive his lorry, or murder his neighbour because he is a Protestant etc etc.

So thats the way it is until Ming Flanagan takes control, drugs are legal and everyone gets a free house and money forever and everything is so cool maaan.

Until then Tom gets arrested and its Leo and Micheal on the telly
    I'm a drug user for years.

I work, as does my wife. I am a home owner. I have never been involved with the Gardai. I vote. I pay my taxes. I volunteer. I donate to those less fortunate. But I am useless? You didn't really answer my questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭BurnUp78

xckjoo wrote: »
    Ridiculous waste of time and money

Smoking weed? I agree

endainoz wrote: »
    Cannabis use has slightly increased while literally every other drug is down. If your pedantic enough to believe cannabis is a drug it's still down overall from all drugs. You can't even warp stats to suit your fake narrative. Their health based approach to addiction is working well also, but that doesn't fit your narrative of course.

Can't read graphs? Drug use will do that to you.

• Advertisement

I'm a drug user for years.

I work, as does my wife. I am a home owner. I have never been involved with the Gardai. I vote. I pay my taxes. I volunteer. I donate to those less fortunate. But I am useless? You didn't really answer my questions.

You're still a criminal. You just haven't been caught yet. Let's hope that changes soon.

Advertisement