Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen with no priors gets 4 month suspended sentence for selling cannabis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

No. That's the stupid answer.

Would you have any controls around it at all? Minimum age? Licensed distributors or sales outlets? Or just have a free for all and anything goes?
    I'd have every single drug known to man openly sold in off licenses or similar premises. Over 18 only, same as smokes and booze. That's it. Buy what you want, use what you want.

If you drive a car under the influence then you suffer the consequences. If you operate machinery the same. The laws we have now surrounding alcohol work perfectly well for all other types of drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,175 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'd have every single drug known to man openly sold in off licenses or similar premises. Over 18 only, same as smokes and booze. That's it. Buy what you want, use what you want.

If you drive a car under the influence then you suffer the consequences. If you operate machinery the same. The laws we have now surrounding alcohol work perfectly well for all other types of drugs.

Define "drug" so.

Maybe I'm caught walking around with Novichok in my pocket. "Fuck off - personal use Guard" :pac:

Nothing could be illegal unless you want to define it conveniently as what you want. Which doesn't seem to be in the spirit of what people who try to make that argument ever claim to want.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,943 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I'll assume you don't go near pubs then?

And don't give me that "alcohol isn't dangerous" ****...

It’s dangerous alright, if abused, 100%. I’ve seen the damage it can do.

Cannabis is dangerous because it is unregulated, not tested by any qualified body such as the Irish Medicines Board because it’s lying in bags in some dealers press or attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

DRUG USE LEVELS. Not crime levels. Well done on trying to move the goalposts. Refuted.

Fair point, I misread the post, but tell me then, seeing as this is an issue for you, what effect has this had on society?

And on a more general level - honest question - where exaclty do you get your information from?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Define "drug" so.

Maybe I'm caught walking around with Novichok in my pocket. "Fuck off - personal use Guard" :pac:

Nothing could be illegal unless you want to define it conveniently as what you want. Which doesn't seem to be in the spirit of what people who try to make that argument ever claim to want.
    Come on now, your reaching now.

Don't give me bull**** like that. This is an interesting debate. Give actual realistic views and opinions. Don't try to mess up the debate. Obviously there is a difference in some guy having a bit of weed to smoke vs a guy with a chemical weapon that is designed to kill.

Come on... think to yourself that bull**** you just posted.

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm caught walking around with Novichok in my pocket. "Fu

I thought you were just happy to see me :eek:

Come on now, your reaching now.

Don't give me bull**** like that. This is an interesting debate. Give actual realistic views and opinions. Don't try to mess up the debate. Obviously there is a difference in some guy having a bit of weed to smoke vs a guy with a chemical weapon that is designed to kill.

Come on... think to yourself that bull**** you just posted.

You have your easy solution to legalise everything.

How are you going to prosecute me for having a dangerous substance in my pocket in this new world of yours?

You can't.

As for dangerous substance designed to kill............you can replace Novichok with a syringe of pure heroin if ya want to....see what I did there? It would be a handy way of killing someone wouldn't it.

If I want to have my Novichok then I can have it. It will be legal. It's very moreish. Once you try it, you'll never want another drug!!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

You dont need the pure heroin, the syringe which is already legal, is enough to cause fatal damage

You have your easy solution to legalise everything.

How are you going to prosecute me for having a dangerous substance in my pocket in this new world of yours?

You can't.

As for dangerous substance designed to kill............you can replace Novichok with a syringe of pure heroin if ya want to....see what I did there? It would be a handy way of killing someone wouldn't it.

If I want to have my Novichok then I can have it. It will be legal. It's very moreish. Once you try it, you'll never want another drug!!
    How are you prosecuted right now having a bunch of a Novichok in your pocket? You could walk down Grafton Street and the Gardai would be none the wiser.

Heroin is made to reduce pain not to kill. Your Novichok argument is bunk.

You dont need the pure heroin, the syringe which is already legal, is enough to cause fatal damage

Yes, if I attack someone with it.

Maybe I don't want to be done for murder but I want to give it to someone in the hope that they inject it, not knowing how strong it is, so that I can watch them die.

There are ****ed up people like that.

• Advertisement

How are you prosecuted right now having a bunch of a Novichok in your pocket? You could walk down Grafton Street and the Gardai would be none the wiser.

Heroin is made to reduce pain not to kill. Your Novichok argument is bunk.

Lol. Sure you could walk down Grafton street with heroin in one pocket and cannabis in another and Gardai would be none the wiser.

Yet you want them legalised. Along with everything else. Including my Novichok.

Lol. Sure you could walk down Grafton street with heroin in one pocket and cannabis in another and Gardai would be none the wiser.

Yet you want them legalised. Along with everything else. Including my Novichok.
    You know yourself you're talking absolute bull**** so whats the point in even trying to have a debate with someone who posts such drivel.

You know yourself you're talking absolute bull**** so whats the point in even trying to have a debate with someone who posts such drivel.

I put your post through google translate and this is what it said

I never thought of that and don't know how to respond. Looks like I'm beaten

Feel free to modify your simplistic and short sighted "solution" that everything be legalised for the good of society

You've been destroyed by logic. Give up gracefully.

At the end of the day, this kid was selling illegal drugs. Got caught and the law took care of him in a fair, proportional and appropriate manner and responsible manner, for his benefit and the benefit of the public.

The judge was spot on. Can’t be giving hall passes to drug dealers, 19 he is sure, but a drug dealer he is also, maybe not at a Christy Kinahan levels, but all those dealer types started off small time, because they could get away with it, did get away with it, found it incredibly easy and lucrative beyond their wildest dreams, doing it for pocket money was replaced by killing for suitcases of money... fûck them all, quite frankly. Kid wasn’t smoking a joint in the park he was dealing drugs, zero sympathy, hopefully he’ll learn from his experience and change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Strumms wrote: »
    At the end of the day, this kid was selling illegal drugs. Got caught and the law took care of him in a fair, proportional and appropriate manner and responsible manner, for his benefit and the benefit of the public.

The judge was spot on. Can’t be giving hall passes to drug dealers, 19 he is sure, but a drug dealer he is also, maybe not at a Christy Kinahan levels, but all those dealer types started off small time, because they could get away with it, did get away with it, found it incredibly easy and lucrative beyond their wildest dreams, doing it for pocket money was replaced by killing for suitcases of money... fûck them all, quite frankly. Kid wasn’t smoking a joint in the park he was dealing drugs, zero sympathy, hopefully he’ll learn from his experience and change.

Just pissed myself laughing. Literally. Take a breath.

Is this satire? Or you actually believe this ****? Are you serious?

Holy christ Ireland is really ****ed as a country going forward with people believing this ****ing tripe.

Spot on.

Spot on.

Again: where exactly are you getting your information about drugs? Not the law, not what's happening - not doubting your knowledge on those - but the actually facts about the drugs themselves?

Is this satire? Or you actually believe this ****? Are you serious?

Holy christ Ireland is really ****ed as a country going forward with people believing this ****ing tripe.

It’s fûcked with clowns like this costing the state, thousands in this case alone, free legal aid ( no doubt ) court costs etc.... all because he doesn’t think getting free money is good enough... great, if he doesn’t, get upskilled and get up off his fûcking hole and get a job. But by all means, stick up for the drug dealer... he was hardly helping a mate get a smoke or two he was dealing. Only cannabis fine but the start of....

• Advertisement

It’s fûcked with clowns like this costing the state, thousands in this case alone, free legal aid ( no doubt ) court costs etc.... all

If it was legal none of this would be an issue.
    because he doesn’t think getting free money is good enough... great, if he doesn’t, get upskilled and get up off his fûcking hole and get a job. But by all means, stick up for the drug dealer... he was hardly helping a mate get a smoke or two he was dealing. Only cannabis fine but the start of....

Irrelevant and assumption.

If it was legal none of this would be an issue.

Irrelevant and assumption.

It’s not legal, ‘if’ is irrelevant, it’s not legal, quite simply. :)

I actually haven’t assumed I’m dealing in the facts and realities. It’s very relevant, you can disagree but don’t get to decide what’s relevant or not around here, sorry. ;)

It’s fûcked with clowns like this costing the state, thousands in this case alone, free legal aid ( no doubt ) court costs etc.... all because he doesn’t think getting free money is good enough... great, if he doesn’t, get upskilled and get up off his fûcking hole and get a job. But by all means, stick up for the drug dealer... he was hardly helping a mate get a smoke or two he was dealing. Only cannabis fine but the start of....
    What relevance does it have if he is on the dole? If he is waster or a highly paid solicitor? What difference does it make? Why is he costing the state money? Because the state has chosen to prosecute him. Thats why. For selling a plant. Can't you see how ludicrous that is? It's a plant! The same if he had a few bags of basil!

I don't give a **** what this guy does or how is makes his money. The issue here is he has been turned into a convicted criminal for selling a fukcing plant. It's ludicrous. He was hurting no one. The prosecution of this chap has wasted untold amounts of Gardai, Court time. It's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Truthvader wrote: »
    Big picture. If you are involved in selling hash you are in the criminal food chain that leads all the way up to the Kinihans past the dead bodies and the hoards of eejits pissing their opportunities away in stupid herds of dopes saying "maaaaan" at the end of every sentence. Its a losers game beginning to end. Its illegal because it wastes talent and energy

And before the "but alcohol" mob wade in. Everyone agrees with you but it is too late to put that genie back in the bottle. Alcohol is a factor in about 90% of violent crime, a huge factor in family issues and a significant factor in mental and physical health issues failed business' etc etc. Never seen hash improve anyone

You see, this is one argument I never get. We cant stop alcohol now, the "genie" is out as you say, but it's still ok to ruin someone's life for a small bit of hash. Outrageous.

As has been said It's openly ignored by cops in Dublin for the most part. Why is that I wonder.

What relevance does it have if he is on the dole? If he is waster or a highly paid solicitor? What difference does it make? Why is he costing the state money? Because the state has chosen to prosecute him. Thats why. For selling a plant. Can't you see how ludicrous that is? It's a plant! The same if he had a few bags of basil!

I don't give a **** what this guy does or how is makes his money. The issue here is he has been turned into a convicted criminal for selling a fukcing plant. It's ludicrous. He was hurting no one. The prosecution of this chap has wasted untold amounts of Gardai, Court time. It's a joke.

Last time I looked I didn’t see many people smoking Basil. I think if you called a drugs helpline telling them you were smoking Basil they might think you are a bit Fawlty.

He has been turned into a convicted criminal because he ‘choose’ to procure illegal drugs and sell them, in contravention to the applicable law.

It’s not legal, ‘if’ is irrelevant, it’s not legal, quite simply. :)

You highlighted a problem, I proposed a very obvious solution.
    I actually haven’t assumed I’m dealing in the facts and realities. It’s very relevant, you can disagree but don’t get to decide what’s relevant or not around here, sorry. ;)

You assume he hasn't got a job. How do you know he doesn;t do this on the side?

Last time I looked I didn’t see many people smoking Basil. I think if you called a drugs helpline telling them you were smoking Basil they might think you are a bit Fawlty.

He has been turned into a convicted criminal because he ‘choose’ to procure illegal drugs and sell them, in contravention to the applicable law.
    Yes, a bull**** law.

Yes, a bull**** law.

Maybe, I’ve an open mind on that. Either way, kid knew what he was doing, took a chance and pays the price. Tough learning curve.

Maybe, I’ve an open mind on that. Either way, kid knew what he was doing, took a chance and pays the price. Tough learning curve.
    Ok, no problem with that. What are we debating here though?
    1. Do you think that cannabis should be legal? Why? Why no?
    2. Do you think that the punishment this young man has received is proportional to his so called "crime"?
    3. Should we all follow the laws that have been set out for us with unwavering obedience even of those laws are unjust?
    4. Has society benefited from destroying this young mans life?
    5. Could Gardai resourced have been better used?
    I'm interested to know your answers to these questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Spot on.

Wat?? All drug dealers find dealing extremely lucrative beyond their wildest dreams, and killing for suitcases of money.

lol watching too many movies mate if you think that’s spot on

Advertisement