Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teen with no priors gets 4 month suspended sentence for selling cannabis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,167 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I dunno what the second part of your post means, but the first part; he's saying those that are saying alcohol should be banned, are generally right.

Fair enough. At least he's concistent.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

sabat wrote: »
    "Two deals worth €92"

Because scoring a '46 spot' is of course the standard for street deals, along with €67 bags of coke and pills for €11.43.

I'd say this is due to the new VAT rates.

FYP.

You didn't fix my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

You'll be tore apart for making a sensible post.

Its my first offence though - and I had a few drinks taken

The FNG wrote: »
    Ever notice how weed keeps people immature? Like you'll have a 40yo man who acts like he's 19?

I smoked it semi regularly for a short period when I was young. Stopped when I got paranoia. But shure weed is safe and harmles and everyone needs to smoke it blah blah blah.

Weed has only gotten more powerful. It's basically like soft heroin now. Young lads can barely keep their eyes open when they smoke it. Like I said before, death sentences for drug dealers, even the weed dealers, would soften their cough. You don't see scumbags like the kinahans and their little mob of teenage sellers in countries like Saudi Arabia or China. There is a reason these countries are essentially drug free. The liberals don't have a say in these societies and they shouldn't have a say here either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Again, Google says to haven't a clue what to are talking about.

Here's the very first one,real enough?
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0911/1164661-barr-murder-conviction/

And yes, drug dealers are in the vicinity of schools. And churches and addiction centres.

I know a lot about it, investigating it is my job and to suggest legalising will have a positive effect is naive in the extreme.
    A Gardai? Not surprised. Corrupt as **** force with people like yourself enforcing bull**** laws.

Joke of a country. Joke of a justice system and joke a "police" force.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭endainoz

Truthvader wrote: »
    Its illegal. Full stop. No-one cares what you "consider" small bit of hash; small sentence. Heroin bigger sentence. You obey the law thats how normal societies are normal

I wonder was that the response gay people got before it was decriminalized in the 90s. Many "normal" societies are decriminalizing and governments are earning taxes from it and police resources are spent on more important issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,178 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

"If you can't do the (suspended) time, then don't do the crime"

Weed has only gotten more powerful. It's basically like soft heroin now. Young lads can barely keep their eyes open when they smoke it. Like I said before, death sentences for drug dealers, even the weed dealers, would soften their cough. You don't see scumbags like the kinahans and their little mob of teenage sellers in countries like Saudi Arabia or China. There is a reason these countries are essentially drug free. The liberals don't have a say in these societies and they shouldn't have a say here either.

Eh sorry what? Soft heroin? Are you out of your mind?

Are you serious? You're comparing cannabis to heroin? This is an absolute joke of a post. Go learn about drugs and then come back here and post something constructive. ****ing stupid post.

• Advertisement

I really hope none of your kids get caught with drugs. So many young people experiment with drugs and go on to live respectable, middle class, productive lives afterwards. If they are unlucky enough to pick up a drug conviction for a charge of sale or supply, their lives are completely derailed.

I must move in some very dodgy middle class circles cos I know loads of kids who smoke, or have smoked weed, take ecstasy, been disgracefully, rowdily drunk, but lucky enough they have parents with cars, who’ll pick them up and whisk them away before consequences can be imposed. It’s very easy to be criminalised when you don’t have money or connections. That’s just a reality, guards know that too.

The system needs a steady stream of perpetrators to keep everyone employed, guards, prison officers, probation officers, court staff, solicitors, barristers, I’m sure I’m leaving someone out!

Been around the houses on this. Smoked a bit back in the day as did everyone in a certain crowd I hung out with. Some did a lot of other things. One is dead of an OD. Bright funny guy; dead at 23. Most got out of it and moved on. A couple continue to smoke and it has blighted their lives eaten way their energy and passion. Half lives. An early brush with the law might have convinced them to stop

endainoz wrote: »
    Eh sorry what? Soft heroin? Are you out of your mind?

No I'm not out of my mind, I don't take drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,965 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm floored by some of the posts here.

It's nearly 2021 and people still have these views about drugs/drug users? Especially cannabis... it is a PLANT. If you smoke it you become docile, happy, hungry.... and posters are glad that people are being given convictions and sent to prison for a plant?!

Mind boggling.

It still encourages antisocial behavior and unfortunately stays in the body for days, weeks, and months in some degree, (drug tests look for delta9-THC-COOH, which your body excretes as it continues to metabolize THC, which carries on for prolonged periods of time mentioned), so it can actively take a prolonged role in your cognitive function, from a safety standpoint that makes it exceptionally difficult to separate eg. social use at home from going to work the next day and operating heavy machinery, or in my case, engineering something that could injure or kill someone if I mess up my math anywhere. So, smoking is not something I would myself to do while I'm contracted to safety critical positions. Either way, it's illegal still in Ireland and as much as I support you in the fight for decriminalization/legalization, the law is still the law and far be it from me to encourage people to break the law. I personally think you'd see a significant drop off in antisocial behavior linked to the drug if people who wished to use it recreationally did not have to associate with such antisocial types to acquire it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Been around the houses on this. Smoked a bit back in the day as did everyone in a certain crowd I hung out with. Some did a lot of other things. One is dead of an OD. Bright funny guy; dead at 23. Most got out of it and moved on. A couple continue to smoke and it has blighted their lives eaten way their energy and passion. Half lives. An early brush with the law might have convinced them to stop

That’s interesting, you smoked a bit, so must have bought a bit, but now you want all drug dealers locked up?

I wonder was that the response gay people got before it was decriminalized in the 90s. Many "normal" societies are decriminalizing and governments are earning taxes from it and police resources are spent on more important issues.

Which is why Amsterdam has dealt so successfully with..... Oh wait, no its the drugs capital of Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Im melting away

your address has **** all to do with it. **** all.

Amount is irrelevant, again I will say it so many it sinks in. Dealing is dealing is ****ing dealing. It's a crime. It's not a profit making decision. The Justice system is not run by Ryanair or apple.

Some Gardai are on overtime. No idea what imaginary family jobs to see talking about. Enlighten us oh wise one.

He was prosecuted for dealing, again FOR DEALING. What ****ing courses? 'don't commit crime' course? Or is he addicted to dealing?

Sentence him to a course. Listen to yourself! That's still a sentence, a worse one that he actually got!

Yuu obviously know nothing about the system being what you are mates have decided.

Oh I forgot the cases, here ya go

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/leaving-cert-party-host-told-gardai-get-a-warrant-they-did-and-now-hes-in-court-on-drugs-charge-30123285.html

You're clearly blinkered, your address has everything to do with been convicted of minor crimes, just like if a guards stops you legitimately and asks for your address, give one like York st and you're tore apart with all types of accusations labeled against you, give a dalkey address and it's a safe home bye bye.

Amount is very much relevent, there's a massive difference between grams and kilo's, also dealing is not dealing, someone dealing out gram bags of weed isn't the same as someone dealing out 10s of kilos, you come across as the type of guard who would arrest a relative for half a spliff.

I said a course as an example without a conviction, what about treatment, or unpaid work, would you like everyone convicted of every 1920s law which hasn't been updated to modern society be locked up?

One thing I do know about the system for minor drugs offences is that it's fcked totally fcked.

From your link :)
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/leaving-cert-party-host-told-gardai-get-a-warrant-they-did-and-now-hes-in-court-on-drugs-charge-30123285.html

"He noted that Chris Bent was not accused of taking or supplying any drugs himself. He said he would be lenient if he undertook some voluntary work as a token of his remorse."

An early brush with the law might have convinced them to stop

Or it could have sent them down a terrible path, it's hard to say otherwise. I'm definitely not questioning the addiction factor or the fact that overuse can indeed make you lazy and have no interest in doing anything. All these things are true for heavy users. I know a few myself, I also have friends who are into the charlie and never smoked a joint in their life. Apparently they tell me it's to keep energy up on a night out and it's easier to hide being high on coke than it is on weed.

But like I don't agree with banning alcohol because of alcoholics, just like I don't think weed should be illegal because of heavy use stoners. It makes no sense, people should be able to make their own choices.

Which is why Amsterdam has dealt so successfully with..... Oh wait, no its the drugs capital of Europe

Amsterdam has destroyed itself with its softness on drugs. Just look at the scum that descend on the city every summer to see who it is the liberals want us to appease.

The weed capital of europe maybe, I was more referring to places like Canada, Uruguay and American states that have legalized, and made money from taxing it.

Portugal decriminalized many years ago and invested resources into help with addiction rather than pointing the finger at them.

Overheal wrote: »
    It still encourages antisocial behavior and unfortunately stays in the body for days, weeks, and months in some degree, (drug tests look for THOOC, which your body excretes as it continues to metabolize THC, which carries on for prolonged periods of time mentioned), so it can actively take a prolonged role in your cognitive function, from a safety standpoint that makes it exceptionally difficult to separate eg. social use at home from going to work the next day and operating heavy machinery, or in my case, engineering something that could injure or kill someone if I mess up my math anywhere. So, smoking is not something I encourage myself to do while I'm contracted to safety critical positions. Either way, it's illegal still in Ireland and as much as I support you in the fight for decriminalization/legalization, the law is still the law and far be it from me to encourage people to break the law. I personally think you'd see a significant drop off in antisocial behavior linked to the drug if people who wished to use it recreationally did not have to associate with such antisocial types to acquire it.
    Cannabis does not encourage anti social behavior. Have you ever smoked cannabis? You become slow, docile, hungry. It's probably one of the most social drugs there is. It's the same as any drug, if you have to do something like operate heavy machinery then you shouldn't smoke, same as you shouldn't drink or shoot heroin. How does this effect you, or me, or anyone else if this chap who was just convicted is smoking in his own home?

Yes it's illegal but are laws infallible? No... they are certainly not. Some laws are bull**** and this is a bull**** law. Your arguments about anti social aspects of the drug are absolutely laughable.

Alcohol is the number one most anti social drug there is. Cannabis, LSD, MDMA, the majority of currently illegal drugs effect people in a socially positive way.

The laws are built on lies. Your opinions and the opinions of others are built upon lies. Why should we, Ireland, in 2021 have laws that are built upon lies and not factual evidence?

If Tom down the road wants to smoke cannabis he is hurting no one, not me, not you, not society. So tell me, why is it beneficial for society to have Tom charged, convicted and locked up in prison for smoking a plant in his own home?

• Advertisement

That’s interesting, you smoked a bit, so must have bought a bit, but now you want all drug dealers locked up?

Heavy sighing noise...........

No no-one said they want all drug dealers "locked up" - or a Saudi hand cutting society. But if you are dealing drugs/ hash there should be some consequence if you are an adult. A suspended sentence maybe? Anyone who has children knows that they can do dumb things but there should be a consequence otherwise you end up in a dysfunctional tailspin of opinion as already evidenced here with people pitching in with what they "consider".

The gay point above is a much better argument and I don't have a 100% answer to that. The anti gay law was clearly nonsense. The anti drug law is clearly not. Leaving aside the babyish "personal choice" argument even hash generates huge waste of college drop outs, mental health issues and just plain good old fashioned disappointment

The weed capital of europe maybe, I was more referring to places like Canada, Uruguay and American states that have legalized, and made money from taxing it.

Portugal decriminalized many years ago and invested resources into help with addiction rather than pointing the finger at them.

And Portugal has seen an increase in drug use BECAUSE of decriminalising it. No thanks, we have enough scum as it is without giving them the green light to keep screwing society up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Cannabis does not encourage anti social behavior. Have you ever smoked cannabis? You become slow, docile, hungry. It's probably one of the most social drugs there is. It's the same as any drug, if you have to do something like operate heavy machinery then you shouldn't smoke, same as you shouldn't drink or shoot heroin. How does this effect you, or me, or anyone else if this chap who was just convicted is smoking in his own home?

Yes it's illegal but are laws infallible? No... they are certainly not. Some laws are bull**** and this is a bull**** law. Your arguments about anti social aspects of the drug are absolutely laughable.

Alcohol is the number one most anti social drug there is. Cannabis, LSD, MDMA, the majority of currently illegal drugs effect people in a socially positive way.

The laws are built on lies. Your opinions and the opinions of others are built upon lies. Why should we, Ireland, in 2021 have laws that are built upon lies and not factual evidence?

If Tom down the road wants to smoke cannabis he is hurting no one, not me, not you, not society. So tell me, why is it beneficial for society to have Tom charged, convicted and locked up in prison for smoking a plant in his own home?

The only problem is if Tom's a stoner, he's the last guy I want to be working with.

Worked with a few and they're always forgetful, don't know their arse from their elbow.

Give them a set of spanner's and they'll go through the whole lot to find the right size.

They're harmless and definitely not violent, but working with one or relying on a stoner is a nightmare...

"Slow docile and hungry"
    AND
    "the majority of currently illegal drugs effect people in a socially positive way."

Really

Not what I want for my children or my friends

But if you are dealing drugs/ hash there should be some consequence if you are an adult. A suspended sentence maybe? Anyone who has children knows that they can do dumb things but there should be a consequence otherwise you end up in a dysfunctional tailspin of opinion as already evidenced here with people pitching in with what they "consider".t
    But why? I'd like you to really think about it and I'm interested in your response.

Lets say I buy some drugs off Tom. Tom grows the drugs himself. I buy them off him, myself and my wife smoke them in our home. We eat our weight in chocolate, laugh at some movies and then go asleep.

Why do you believe that Tom should receive a criminal penalty for this? I should be convicted for having it? Simply because the government has determined it to be illegal? Based upon lies. Is this the only reason?

But why? I'd like you to really think about it and I'm interested in your response.

Lets say I buy some drugs off Tom. Tom grows the drugs himself. I buy them off him, myself and my wife smoke them in our home. We eat our weight in chocolate, laugh at some movies and then go asleep.

Why do you believe that Tom should receive a criminal penalty for this? I should be convicted for having it? Simply because the government has determined it to be illegal? Based upon lies. Is this the only reason?

The naivety of this post is beyond staggering. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Heavy sighing noise...........

No no-one said they want all drug dealers "locked up" - or a Saudi hand cutting society. But if you are dealing drugs/ hash there should be some consequence if you are an adult. A suspended sentence maybe? Anyone who has children knows that they can do dumb things but there should be a consequence otherwise you end up in a dysfunctional tailspin of opinion as already evidenced here with people pitching in with what they "consider".

The gay point above is a much better argument and I don't have a 100% answer to that. The anti gay law was clearly nonsense. The anti drug law is clearly not. Leaving aside the babyish "personal choice" argument even hash generates huge waste of college drop outs, mental health issues and just plain good old fashioned disappointment

Perhaps I misunderstood your point about small amounts should get small sentences. Most of us understand a sentence to mean prison.

nthclare wrote: »
    The only problem is if Tom's a stoner, he's the last guy I want to be working with.

Worked with a few and they're always forgetful, don't know their arse from their elbow.

Give them a set of spanner's and they'll go through the whole lot to find the right size.

They're harmless and definitely not violent, but working with one or relying on a stoner is a nightmare...
    And that's fine. But should Tom be a convicted criminal for it? I have know a few stoners and yes they are as you describe but again, should they be criminalized for it?

The naivety of this post is beyond staggering. :rolleyes:

Coming from the poster comparing weed to heroin, seriously.....

• Advertisement

And that's fine. But should Tom be a convicted criminal for it? I have know a few stoners and yes they are as you describe but again, should they be criminalized for it?

Yes he should. He's breaking the law. How hard is this for you to understand???

Advertisement