Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Lackey wrote: »
    Sorry one more question, I've googled but I'm still not 100%
    Do I need a tourist visa travelling to Iceland?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

No.

Thanks very much for all the information

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Quick question here. I am in Portugal. Went to checking on line and its different from what I previously recall. Says I will be allocated a seat ONCE I have checked in- problem with that is my wife is on a seperate booking and I dont know if it's possibke to switch seats after we might discover we are rows apart. Previously up you could see the seat you were going to be allocated and accept or change it. So you could see if there was 2 together still available. Doesn't look like that's possible any longer - so is the best option just to rock up to the airport tomorrow and ask the official for 2 together if possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭VG31

joeysoap wrote: »
    Quick question here. I am in Portugal. Went to checking on line and its different from what I previously recall. Says I will be allocated a seat ONCE I have checked in- problem with that is my wife is on a seperate booking and I dont know if it's possibke to switch seats after we might discover we are rows apart. Previously up you could see the seat you were going to be allocated and accept or change it. So you could see if there was 2 together still available. Doesn't look like that's possible any longer - so is the best option just to rock up to the airport tomorrow and ask the official for 2 together if possible?

Which airline? If it's Aer Lingus, when checking-in online they assign you a seat but you can change it yourself immediately afterwards (unless it's changed in the past year).

Otherwise you could check-in at the airport and ask for two seats together. This is probably the best option (unless it's Ryanair of course).

Apologies and thanks, yes A/L. Last year I could change seats but looks like this year you are allocated a seat and that's it. Two different bookings (the usual - one only at this price remaining , I don't see why if there's one at this price I should pay the extra when booking two so I take the one at that price and book the 2nd one at the next price) so looks like if you check in online you get an allocated seat and with two separate bookings those two seats could be well apart. Will take a chance at the airport. Nobody buys those front rows anyway so maybe get one of those. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

What's the big deal with sitting apart for a few hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

January wrote: »

Being in an uncomfortable environment, which many find quiet scary (nervous fliers), away from their loved one, may not be preferable?

I also would rather sit beside my accompanying traveller as opposed to a stranger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

If they needed to get seats together he should have booked the flights together so?

With Aer Lingus you are allocated a seat but you can change it to a different one at check in. If you want to prebook seats to guarantee being together, do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If they needed to get seats together he should have booked the flights together so?

With Aer Lingus you are allocated a seat but you can change it to a different one at check in. If you want to prebook seats to guarantee being together, do that.

I agree, but its still preferable to sit together? That concept is hardly hard to grasp.

Got sorted no problem at the airport check in. As I explained earlier when I went to book there was 1 remaining at €xx. If you book 2 you don't get this cheaper seat, both are at the next band up. So I booked the two separately. One cheaper than the other. I have checked in online previously and saw the seats allocated and could change them but on this occasion it stated that the seat would be allocated after checking in, hence my reluctance to proceed.

And yes, I would prefer sitting with my partner than a stranger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Your original booking should be fine, you've checked in for it so they should therefore expect you at the gate

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MoeJay

Some airlines will cancel all subsequent sectors if you don't fly on the first sector, checked in or not....if you don't show at the gate you will show as not having travelled. Some low cost carriers book all sectors as separate legs so it might not be a problem but you should check with them first!

I think RY state that they are a point to point airline. So you should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Hi Everyone

Flying to Chicago next month via Heathrow. Have never flown from Heathrow before I presume our bags stay checked on from Dublin? Just wondering is there anything we need to know or be aware of doing the trip this way. Our flight leaves approx 3 hours after we land from Dublin. Thanks

Hi Everyone

Flying to Chicago next month via Heathrow. Have never flown from Heathrow before I presume our bags stay checked on from Dublin? Just wondering is there anything we need to know or be aware of doing the trip this way. Our flight leaves approx 3 hours after we land from Dublin. Thanks
    Depends on your booking if the bags will be checked all the way.
    3 hours is plenty for changing, I did it in 2 even switching terminals. It's not a pleasant experience but it should be plenty of time.

Depends on your booking if the bags will be checked all the way.
    3 hours is plenty for changing, I did it in 2 even switching terminals. It's not a pleasant experience but it should be plenty of time.

Not pleasant as in a lot of rushing?

Just checked we are arriving and departing from terminal 2 in Heathrow.

• Advertisement

Not pleasant as in a lot of rushing?

Not even, when switching it's getting a bus to a hub then another bus to your terminal. Had to go through security twice somehow, iris/ facial scans a couple of times, just a lot to have to do. It's all clearly laid out and all its just a lot to end up having to do somehow :p

If not chamging terminal it shouldn't be as bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Deagol

Just checked we are arriving and departing from terminal 2 in Heathrow.

Terminal 2 is very pleasant terminal, plenty of room and seating and I've never seen any significant security queues etc.

Deagol wrote: »
    What airlines are you flying with to LHR and from LHR to Chicago? If they are both Star Alliance then your bags will be checked through. If you are flying with Aer Lingus to LHR, then I would doubt if they will be.

Still, 3 hours should be plenty of time!

Terminal 2 is very pleasant terminal, plenty of room and seating and I've never seen any significant security queues etc.
    United airlines to Chicago. EI to Heathrow thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

United airlines to Chicago

They'll be checked through, don't worry. I've done that route to EWR via LHR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If its all under a single ticket, bags go through to destination

Aer Lingus and United have a code share, eticket, interline and through check in agreements so bags will go through if booked as a single ticket.

Be sure to log on to united.com and to select your seats before travel, Aer Lingus should be able to issue the boarding cards in Dublin for the entire journey

Follow the purple signs for flight connections in Heathrow, no bus or other troubles, just need to reclear security

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

And the other good news is that all EI flights DUB-LHR have an excellent ontime record over the past while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

T2 at LHR is also a lovely place to pass through. You'll have an easy journey, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TheCockpitGuy

All that hassle to go to somewhere like Heathrow just to save a few bucks! Some people really just look at the cheapest price available instead of paying a few quid more to go from Dublin, clear immigration here and go direct or via one of the many hubs on the east coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

All that hassle to go to somewhere like Heathrow just to save a few bucks! Some people really just look at the cheapest price available instead of paying a few quid more to go from Dublin, clear immigration here and go direct or via one of the many hubs on the east coast.

I saved €400 going via Heathrow on a flight to SFO - like hell am I paying that to save a couple of hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TheCockpitGuy

I saved €400 going via Heathrow on a flight to SFO - like hell am I paying that to save a couple of hours.

Each to the own I suppose.

Advertisement