Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

rob316 wrote: »
    Seems to be fairly normal in our gym, rolled with a few different partners last week. Membership is limited but still good numbers. Temp checked at the entrance, sanitizer and wipes all over the place.

Bloody great to be back, it was starting feel strange my body not broken.

Yeah we're the same. Temp checks on the way in, hand sanitizer, mats cleaned all the time etc. Rolling just like we did pre-Covid.

I thought I'd feel weird about it but I really missed it and didn't feel weird at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Our gym has split training into different 'teams' who never meet. My training time is lunchtime and I have Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I can't attend at other times / days.

Between sessions the gym is cleaned thoroughly.

In a large gym I think this is a reasonable means of hoping that if a group did become ill then the other groups have a reasonable expectation that they will never have been close contacts. It's actually the same model we used for my work, we split into an 'A' and a 'B' team who never cross.

Coaches aren't training across the groups, as you'd expect.

To be honest if the R rate continues to rise and gets quite high I fear the gyms will shut again. Hard to say if that will occur at this stage. Seems like the experience of some other countries is that where social distancing measures are in place in other areas of society the R rate will increase more slowly than with the first wave, no exponential growth. With any luck we can keep it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Our gym has split training into different 'teams' who never meet. My training time is lunchtime and I have Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I can't attend at other times / days.

Between sessions the gym is cleaned thoroughly.

In a large gym I think this is a reasonable means of hoping that if a group did become ill then the other groups have a reasonable expectation that they will never have been close contacts. It's actually the same model we used for my work, we split into an 'A' and a 'B' team who never cross.

Coaches aren't training across the groups, as you'd expect.

To be honest if the R rate continues to rise and gets quite high I fear the gyms will shut again. Hard to say if that will occur at this stage. Seems like the experience of some other countries is that where social distancing measures are in place in other areas of society the R rate will increase more slowly than with the first wave, no exponential growth. With any luck we can keep it down.

They tried doing an A & B team in my job but everyone moaned so much about being on the B team they had to rename it team red and team green :rolleyes:

But yeah the R number going up and phase 4 pushed back i was worried gyms might end up having to close again too. My manager was like "i cant believe this is happening over only 30 cases", but like, this whole thing started because of ONE case so 30 is nothing to be ignored. I guess well see how it goes. At the moment im thinking ill go back in August, but it depends on how things go to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

They tried doing an A & B team in my job but everyone moaned so much about being on the B team they had to rename it team red and team green :rolleyes:

But yeah the R number going up and phase 4 pushed back i was worried gyms might end up having to close again too. My manager was like "i cant believe this is happening over only 30 cases", but like, this whole thing started because of ONE case so 30 is nothing to be ignored. I guess well see how it goes. At the moment im thinking ill go back in August, but it depends on how things go to be honest.
    Lads were asking me last night if I'll be down Monday.
    We have trouble getting people to wear flip flops into the toilets, so I don't trust 99% of them to sanitise properly.
    I'll be waiting a few weeks as well to see how things pan out.

That's the thing, some people can't seem to grasp the importance of the reinfection rate.

If the rate is at 1, then 30 cases becomes 60, becomes 120 etc. It's not to be sniffed at and it's this attitude that's making people become complacent. "Ah sure it's only a handful of cases".

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    That's the thing, some people can't seem to grasp the importance of the reinfection rate.

If the rate is at 1, then 30 cases becomes 60, becomes 120 etc. It's not to be sniffed at and it's this attitude that's making people become complacent. "Ah sure it's only a handful of cases".

Yeah it definitely seems like the "ah sure feck it itll be grand" attitude is coming back in some ways. That gob****e Niall Boylan on the radio yesterday bemoaning the fact that pubs cant reopen because of "only a hanfdul of cases", i get hes playing devils advocate and thats his schtick but that attitude is what makes people lazy about social distancing / sanitizing etc.
    We have trouble getting people to wear flip flops into the toilets, so I don't trust 99% of them to sanitise properly.

Thats hilarious and disgusting in equal measure :D

Thats hilarious and disgusting in equal measure :D
    It is when they wonder why you won't roll with them. Genuine look of confusion :pac:

I agree people struggle to conceptualise what exponential growth looks like, humans just aren't good at it, we default to imaging linear growth and think we have time when we don't.

That said, for you guys that are waiting to see how it pans out... In a way the safest time to train was probably the last month just passed. That was when the transmission rate within the community was almost nothing. Now it's rising again, I think it'll probably be less safe in the coming weeks, not safer...?

Will the R rate continue to rise, albeit more slowly, or is it going to remain pretty static due to the social distancing measures we're still observing? I think gyms staying open is tied to that more than anything that gyms themselves can do at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

With BJJ your talking about a fairly niche activity, the numbers of people doing this are low. I understand the R rate is rising, but we accepts the risks and the majority are smart enough to know when to train and not to and practice good hygiene.

With BJJ your talking about a fairly niche activity, the numbers of people doing this are low. I understand the R rate is rising, but we accepts the risks and the majority are smart enough to know when to train and not to and practice good hygiene.

The thing is its a niche sport yes, so not a large amount of the population take part in it, but you still dont know how many people your training partner has been in contact with that day. For all you know they work in a nursing home!

I agree with Black Sheep tho, the safest time to train definitely would have been in the last 20 days or so when the R number was at its lowest, now we just have to wait and see really. Im going to give it til the Govt mandated day of Aug 10th, if cases are properly declining by then, ill sign back up. If theyre still rising, ill wait it out another month, rewatching team 10th planet v team reebok at quintet for the hundredth time... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,023 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

We added a new coach since reopening. And the main coach is splitting he class into a main group
    and an advanced group. One night the advanced group was only two of us with coach. So I feel like training has been very productive lately. Which is a nice change from frustrating spells.

Yeah, just on the above..........

Is anyone else finding that training has been a little better since the restart? Maybe the break did my body good, but i'm finding that I was able to pick up pretty well from where I left off and, in fact, am doing a bit better in sparring against lads who I wasn't doing as well against pre-lockdown.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yeah, just on the above..........

Is anyone else finding that training has been a little better since the restart? Maybe the break did my body good, but i'm finding that I was able to pick up pretty well from where I left off and, in fact, am doing a bit better in sparring against lads who I wasn't doing as well against pre-lockdown.

Theyre probably a bit out of practice, which maybe lets you catch up with them a bit id imagine. Tho a break can definitely help. I took maybe 7 months off in 2017, and in early 2018 i felt like some grappling so i went to a Judo class near me and after 7 months of no grappling i went in and managed to hit an anaconda choke which i had never done in live rolling before until then, so all that muscle memory is still there!!

Cases going back up again, doesnt look like my 10th august return will be on the cards :(

I presume BJJ gyms are shut in the counties that are locked down again?

Doesn’t bode well in general, I would be nervous that we’ll see the same elsewhere in winter. Suspect a lot of gyms couldn’t handle a second bout of this craic, in business terms.

In some ways the measures are more considered than the first lockdown, and would allow for a lot of sports to continue outdoors... Just not ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I presume BJJ gyms are shut in the counties that are locked down again?

Doesn’t bode well in general, I would be nervous that we’ll see the same elsewhere in winter. Suspect a lot of gyms couldn’t handle a second bout of this craic, in business terms.

In some ways the measures are more considered than the first lockdown, and would allow for a lot of sports to continue outdoors... Just not ours.

Yup, we're closed again until the restrictions are lifted. It's going to be hard on a lot of gyms if this continues. It's not a massive issue for me as I am just paid to train in the gym and being honest, I am not doing it for the money - the gym is close to me and it's handy to be able to set the times to suit my schedule, and by schedule I mean what my wife allows :-P

My gut feeling is that this is a slap on the hand by NPHET. People were getting lax and their authority was being openly questioned so I feel this is a bit of a f*** you show of power. This could have been handled on a more local basis, but that would have encouraged people to flout the restrictions and guidance.

It has certainly got people thinking if it can happen there, it can happen here, so I can see the logic despite being the sacrificial lambs. Hopefully people will cop on and just do what they have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If there is closures again I don't think I will be able to keep paying my membership. A good number of us kept up our payments for the 3 months and is the only reason we had a gym to go back to. It is so tough, especially when a gym owner isn't really making much anyway.

If there is closures again I don't think I will be able to keep paying my membership. A good number of us kept up our payments for the 3 months and is the only reason we had a gym to go back to. It is so tough, especially when a gym owner isn't really making much anyway.

I kept paying from march til July, it was as long as i could afford to keep paying while not actually training. Even at that i felt terrible messaging the coach and asking him to stop my membership. I imagine if lockdown does come back full force only the biggest gyms will be able to keep their heads above water

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭average hero

In the past fortnight (under strict hygiene protocols etc.) I started BJJ and I must say I love it. I am taking a strategic break from Judo at the moment until I make a plan to assault the brown belt syllabus and win my fights etc. That will probably be next year.

As you all know, Judo is a cousin to BJJ so I have some basics. I rolled with a couple of blue belts and they were delighted that I wasn't 'jerky' or 'spazzy' like many white belts. They said I could use my weight well, could defend myself a little and could position myself well for a white belt(although it was more wrestling-style of grappling, not as 'refined' as BJJ). I didn't get close to any submissions though. I more-so threatened one or two and then they easily positioned/postured away.

Pros - It is very technical. I have already learned a lot that will help my Judo too. Great instructor, sound rolling partners, I have an extremely basic idea of how it works. It is a great workout too. I don't even register I am working out as I am learning all the time!

Cons - I need to get fitter, strong and more flexible!

I can see why you all love it. I am now a convert! However I still love Judo. I look forward to my white belt journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

In the past fortnight (under strict hygiene protocols etc.) I started BJJ and I must say I love it. I am taking a strategic break from Judo at the moment until I make a plan to assault the brown belt syllabus and win my fights etc. That will probably be next year.

As you all know, Judo is a cousin to BJJ so I have some basics. I rolled with a couple of blue belts and they were delighted that I wasn't 'jerky' or 'spazzy' like many white belts. They said I could use my weight well, could defend myself a little and could position myself well for a white belt(although it was more wrestling-style of grappling, not as 'refined' as BJJ). I didn't get close to any submissions though. I more-so threatened one or two and then they easily positioned/postured away.

Pros - It is very technical. I have already learned a lot that will help my Judo too. Great instructor, sound rolling partners, I have an extremely basic idea of how it works. It is a great workout too. I don't even register I am working out as I am learning all the time!

Cons - I need to get fitter, strong and more flexible!

I can see why you all love it. I am now a convert! However I still love Judo. I look forward to my white belt journey.

My only advice to you:
    Learn to pass someones guard. Once they find out you do Judo, no one is going to start standing against you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

I'm new to this sub forum so forgive me if I ask questions already asked and answered........I want to start BJJ, its something I've been trying to wrangle my schedule to accommodate for a long time and finally I have the freedom to do that. There seems to be a lot of clubs in Dublin (where I'm based) which is good for choice, but could anyone direct me to a club they'd recommend that has a good reputation all in all but one that is friendly and helpful to beginners?
    Also how many days a week would you need to train to really get the most out of it?
    Cheers

• Advertisement

What part of Dublin?
    Do you have a car or rely on public transport?

Pretty much any half decent gym will be friendly and helpful, it's in their best interest if they want you to stick around..

Depends on what your body can take really. I was doing double classes two or three times a week and hanging about afterwards to do some rolling as well, but it took a while to build up to that without dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Tazzimus wrote: »
    What part of Dublin?
    Do you have a car or rely on public transport?

Pretty much any half decent gym will be friendly and helpful, it's in their best interest if they want you to stick around..

Depends on what your body can take really. I was doing double classes two or three times a week and hanging about afterwards to do some rolling as well, but it took a while to build up to that without dying.

I can get to anywhere in dublin do transport is not a problem. So you reckon they're all decent clubs and it doesn't make a difference which one I choose?

You have a decent choice of SBG's, Satori, Gracie Barra, Jorge Santos, Jungle, Team KF, Team Ryano, 10th Planet. I'm possibly forgetting a few.
    Generally the BJJ community is fairly chill, we like helping each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Seconded the above post, the BJJ community is pretty friendly. I'd recommend getting a list of the most conveniently located gyms for you, asking for their timetable, then checking out which one fits best around your schedule.

Regarding how many times a week, I'm not sure there is a definitive answer for that but I will warn you its pretty addicting!

You have a decent choice of SBG's, Satori, Gracie Barra, Jorge Santos, Jungle, Team KF, Team Ryano, 10th Planet. I'm possibly forgetting a few.
    All good gyms, but some are probably stronger in some areas than others. I’d add royal grappling academy to the list too.

And location is hugely important. No point driving 30 mins when there’s an equal gym 10 mins away.

Most people train 2-4 times a week. The more you train the faster you’ll improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,799 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ECJJ?

santana75 wrote: »
    I can get to anywhere in dublin do transport is not a problem. So you reckon they're all decent clubs and it doesn't make a difference which one I choose?

I can't speak for everyone but location is a big factor for me.

I struggled for ages to train consistently. Finally I moved house and found a small gym right across the road form me. It almost forces me to train. I have no excuse to miss a session.

It's raining? So? It's across the road.

I don't feel like it? So? It's across the road you'll be home in no time.

You're tight on time? Just as well the gym is close to your house!

I've lost count of the number of times i've stumbled across to the gym when I wasn't in the humour to train. They're always the best and most rewarding sessions.

My two cents, find somewhere close to your house

Looks like ... if you take a very generous reading ... BJJ clubs can continue to operate with 6 per class indoors.

If I’m honest I doubt BJJ is really what they are envisaging when they stipulate that it is provided there is appropriate physical distancing and reasonable precautions observed. I think we all guess they’re thinking of non contact activities rather than people rolling around hugging one another.

But I guess until things really become explicit a lot of places will reduce numbers to 6 and continue. If financially viable to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Looks like ... if you take a very generous reading ... BJJ clubs can continue to operate with 6 per class indoors.

If I’m honest I doubt BJJ is really what they are envisaging when they stipulate that it is provided there is appropriate physical distancing and reasonable precautions observed. I think we all guess they’re thinking of non contact activities rather than people rolling around hugging one another.

But I guess until things really become explicit a lot of places will reduce numbers to 6 and continue. If financially viable to do so.

The 6 includes the instructor, so 5 students.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    ECJJ?
    Definitely on the list.
    Probably the best gym from a competitive jiujitsu point of view. Especially in Gi.

Man that sucks, we're up to 30+ split into two simultaneous classes.

Standard class on the mats with either a fundamental group or advanced group of up to 10 in the cage.

Been getting a lot of 2 on 1 time with the coach too.

Advertisement