Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Doff wrote: »
    BJJ gyms will have to be one of the last places to open back up fully unfortunately. Unless they were to open, enforce social distancing, and just do solo drills with a head instructor but I'm not sure how plausible that would be.
    They should.
    I’d be surprised if the “rules” will highlight a niche sport like Bjj. Most likely will get lumped in with gyms

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Nothing has been that prescriptive to date, so it's unlikely that individual sports will get a name-check.

BJJ will be in the same pickle as other contact sports or similar close contact activities.

Gyms in Ireland mostly closed on the government's request that social distancing considerations be taken seriously (There was a key speech by the Taoiseach on the 12 March and that was when the GAA and a cascade of gyms closed). There was no explicit directive to close at that stage, the closures mandated were for schools, colleges and related to gatherings of a particular size.

But my point is if we do a phased re-opening of "non essential" businesses that won't really help BJJ gyms if the advice to observe social distancing while doing so remains.

If you think of commercial gyms (Flyefit, Ben Dunne etc) they actually could re-open and have social distancing. Limit numbers on the floor, have staff going about wiping down equipment constantly, etc. It would at least be a token effort at it.

But no BJJ gym could do that.

One thing they could do, funnily enough, would be to work with a request that gatherings be limited to 10 people or fewer (Just for sake of argument). A lot of private training businesses that do small group training are already running software that forces people to book spaces in classes of this nature, and when they're gone they're gone.

If you think of commercial gyms (Flyefit, Ben Dunne etc) they actually could re-open and have social distancing. Limit numbers on the floor, have staff going about wiping down equipment constantly, etc. It would at least be a token effort at it.

But no BJJ gym could do that.
    I’m not saying gym owners should open back up the save time as Flyefit and the like. I’m saying that I think they will unless told they can’t. The bills will have piled up by that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I'm going to follow the direction given to the IRFU in regards to when they get back and what they are/ are not doing.

This is probably the closest mainstream sport to what we do (rucks, scrums, mauls etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

I was thinking if there was a test that could be done with a DR for say 50 euro and it showed you being covid 19 negative, you could get a Cert from the DR, take to your gym when your monthly fee is to be paid and be free to get on with it. If everyone done this everytime they had to pay the monthly membership it could be an active way of getting going?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

feelpablo wrote: »
    I was thinking if there was a test that could be done with a DR for say 50 euro and it showed you being covid 19 negative, you could get a Cert from the DR, ...

This wont work. If you mean the current test to see if a person have Covid19 virus or doesnt - if the throat and nasal swabs are taken in the 2-3rd week some of these tests are negative because there is little viral load in the upper respiratory tract.

If the tests were 100% effective, you'd have to test every gym goer every day - if all gym goers are negative on day 1, one of them can get infected after having the test and then go on to infect everyone in the gym.

The only test that should work in your scenario is a test for Covid antibodies which shows positive testers have had the infection and in theory should be immune. This is the typical scenario with infectious diseases, but the WHO say there is no proof at the moment that the presence of Covid antibodies guarantees protection against a second infection.

Craig being Craig and heelhooking elite grapplers.
    Vinny being vinny and refusing to tap to leg locks.

https://twitter.com/UFCFightPass/status/1254557297633898504

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

That hurt just watching it..

Sport Ireland chief executive John Treacy has warned that the Covid-19 pandemic means it could be some time before it is possible for contact sports to be played again in the country.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2020/0424/1134664-treacy-return-of-non-contact-sports-will-be-priority/

'Some time' certainly means further months, obviously. I'm not confident we'll be back in 2020.

I could see more training occurring between small, closed groups of the same 2-3 people (Let's be honest, this is already happening by some people), but gyms reopening seems way, way off.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    That hurt just watching it..

Yeah. Vinny is clearly tough as nails, but he's also clearly insane.
    A match on Chael Sonnen's niche grappling event is not worth mangling your knee.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah. Vinny is clearly tough as nails, but he's also clearly insane.
    A match on Chael Sonnen's niche grappling event is not worth mangling your knee.

Craig seemed more concerned about it than Vinny. Also, he has ridiculous flexibility.

Here’s the match. Bizarre.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kMtQi-pzUI

First time back training on saturday. Just two of us. Drilling only.

Could someone who was training in the SBG HQ gym (John Kavanagh's gym) before lockdown PM me a copy of the timetable, if they wouldn't mind?

I emailed the website direct looking for some info on that and another thing but no reply. Have resent the query again today too. In the current times I can understand no one might be monitoring it as doubt there are many enquiries at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭badbeatcentral

In general are people looking at returning to full contact rolling on the 10th August?

The government guidelines seem misaligned where they're allowing traditional gyms to re-open on 10th August but they must maintain effective social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

So July 20th then?

Classes back in my gym tonight.
    Sorry for rubbing it in, but i'm happy.

Not sure how drilling/rolling/social distancing works

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Classes back in my gym tonight.
    Sorry for rubbing it in, but i'm happy.

Not sure how drilling/rolling/social distancing works

I'm not jealous...... :(

Let us know how you get on! I might be a tad bit jealous.

I'll be avoiding the gym for the first month anyway when they open again on the 20th.
    It'll be like January with all the people and I want to see how things actually pan out before I head back down, restrictions etc.

I'll be avoiding the gym for the first month anyway when they open again on the 20th.
    It'll be like January with all the people and I want to see how things actually pan out before I head back down, restrictions etc.
    Numbers are limited initially. 10 per class at the minute.

• Advertisement

I'm starting back at the end of this month with outside classes with social distancing and no contact. Mainly just working on flexability and drilling.

Hoping full training will resume on the 20th July. Smaller class numbers with specific measures in place (temperature checks/ sign in/ pre-booking / sanitiser)

Have to say, this lay off has been great for my body, can't remember being this injury free!

RoboRat wrote: »
    )

Have to say, this lay off has been great for my body, can't remember being this injury free!

I woke up last week and my back/neck was put out. No reason why.
    Been in bits since. Typical the week I go back.

As for the process. Class was fine.
    Sanitizer on the way in. Classes limited to 4m2 per person.
    Warm-up.
    Partner up with partner. Stay with same partner whole class.
    • Low contact rentioned drills
    • Darce drilling
    • No rolling
    • Classes caped at an hour

Worked on my grading a bit after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Classes caped at an hour

BJJ-Hero-1.png

Did you wear your pants outside of your gi too for full effect?

;)

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Did you wear your pants outside of your gi too for full effect?

;)

Blue gi pants with red undies on top. Superman innit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Yeah im not sure what to do myself, might give it a month or so post re-opening before i actually go back. Its bound to be really restrictive and if it goes to a "book your place" system, bound to be next to impossible to get a slot, and even harder to get a time that suits. Im lucky i do lunchtime classes cause i imagine getting an evening slot would be insanity. But as Robo said, im currently enjoying being injury and pain free, i've been working on nothing but HIIT workouts and bodyweight exercises the last 3 months, and its honestly going really well so im okay to pace myself when it comes to getting back to BJJ and lifting weights for another month or two yet.

Tho i gotta say, i watched a video of 2 guys rolling in their back yard on some mats the other day and got a crazy itch to start rolling again :(

Have to say, I'm very much loving be back at the gym and training.
    Mostly be working in pairs on material for the grading.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Anyone's gym just rolling like normal? Multiple sparring partners. No social distancing etc.?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Anyone's gym just rolling like normal? Multiple sparring partners. No social distancing etc.?

Not mine, I have the lads sticking with single partners and maintaining distancing - gym is quite large so it's easy enough.

I do feel bad because my partner is getting hammered... but to his credit he hasn't complained and has come on in leaps and bounds. I'd say once we mix it up again, he will see how much he has come on. Goes to show, avoiding the hard rolls will slow your progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I swear to god reading all this stuff now about the 'rona causing heart and brain damage has me nervous again. I was initially thinking early august or so to go back to training but if the cases keep going up again i doubt the wife will let me train (i have asthma so technically im high risk even tho im quite physically fit). I kinda miss the days when all i had to worry about was screwing up a knee or something.

To make matters worse ive binged all the Quintet grappling tournaments and am dying to do some training now lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Seems to be fairly normal in our gym, rolled with a few different partners last week. Membership is limited but still good numbers. Temp checked at the entrance, sanitizer and wipes all over the place.

Bloody great to be back, it was starting feel strange my body not broken.

Advertisement