Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I got one off Chairman Meow on here ages back, still have yet to wear it.

I might end up doing the solo training if they open the showers in our place again, which hopefully they will soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I got one off Chairman Meow on here ages back, still have yet to wear it.

I might end up doing the solo training if they open the showers in our place again, which hopefully they will soon.

haha that poor Gi hasnt seen any action in bloody ages at this point so! :D

Such a nice Gi too, Wolfhound make great stuff ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Nobody does them better :D:P

My GF did the wimp2warrior which gave a good base.

I just tell my wife to get cracking on the ironing and booooom, she comes straight at me and I nail a perfect double leg, before transitioning to side control, apply some top-heavy pressure and hit a nice kimura.

I like to mix it up with the ironing, hoover and sometimes, I'll bring her parents into it if I really want to drill some high-intensity rounds.

haha that poor Gi hasnt seen any action in bloody ages at this point so! :D

Yeh it's my second one now, along with the OG hoody and blue rashguard.
    Actually looking at getting a third one, possibly the blue one, to round them out, love the design of them.

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Yeh it's my second one now, along with the OG hoody and blue rashguard.
    Actually looking at getting a third one, possibly the blue one, to round them out, love the design of them.

Delighted to hear that and the navy is my favourite. Have a few new designs for 2021. Been a **** year so didn't bother doing much as business is crap.

RoboRat wrote: »
    Delighted to hear that and the navy is my favourite. Have a few new designs for 2021. Been a **** year so didn't bother doing much as business is crap.
    I'll have to keep an eye out. Must actually pick up a new belt as well, to accommodate the extra girth attained from lack of training :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Interesting to hear you say that. I was thinking to myself that pretty much no one must be buying kimonos all year...?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Australia is basically back full time training. Theres a few Irish guys in my gym, and a few in another nearby. A few have comment on my Wolfhound gi. Could be a angle.

Do you do belts?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

Any indication on the expected date of return of non-individual training? i.e. rolling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Iguarantee wrote:
    Any indication on the expected date of return of non-individual training? i.e. rolling

Probably next spring at the earliest. There's another lockdown coming in early January.

RonanP77 wrote: »
    Probably next spring at the earliest. There's another lockdown coming in early January.

Thanks.

I’ll just go into hibernation until then :)

Mellor wrote: »
    Australia is basically back full time training. Theres a few Irish guys in my gym, and a few in another nearby. A few have comment on my Wolfhound gi. Could be a angle.

Do you do belts?

We do belts indeed. Getting some orders from Oz and also the US but the time on Oz orders put people off and the US is only accepting DHL deliveries, and they have decided to double their prices so that increases the price significantly.

Ralpg Gracie sentenced to 6 months in prison for assaulting Alavio ALmedia at Worlds two years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

That was 2 years ago already :eek:

I bought some puzzle mats last weekend. I'd wanted a roll-out type Dollamur/Fuji mat but they're out of stock anywhere I'd seen (not to mention massively overpriced on any Irish stores I'd seen).

e32 per mat + e45 delivery. They arrived 48 hours after ordering.

https://shop.martialartsmats.equipment/product/40mm-mma-bjj-jigsaw-mats-black-grey/

Covid lockdown day 97... today I tried a berimbolo on a cow. I got **** on my face and a hoof in my bollocks.

Any whispers as to when training shall (legitimately) resume?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Iguarantee wrote: »
    Any whispers as to when training shall (legitimately) resume?

I would imagine the rest of this year is going to be written off for all contact sports. we're gonna be looking at a few months of level 4, if and when we get to it, then level 3 for a few months and then level 2, which we need for full contact

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

eeloe wrote: »
    I would imagine the rest of this year is going to be written off for all contact sports. we're gonna be looking at a few months of level 4, if and when we get to it, then level 3 for a few months and then level 2, which we need for full contact

I hope not. It will be disappointing to see everyone in the UK be able to train from June onwards but us being told to hold off til 2022 :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I hope not. It will be disappointing to see everyone in the UK be able to train from June onwards but us being told to hold off til 2022 :(

I don't see their june 21st date being the actual date that everything opens up either. It's 100% going to be pushed out.

eeloe wrote: »

Jaysus, I wasn’t really thinking about a lengthy de-escalation of the lockdown stages.

Of course I want training to resume as soon as possible. I don’t think I could get on board with preventing contact sport training beyond may to be honest (not that my opinion has any bearing on the decision).

The lockdown isn’t affecting me much, the biggest impact is that I can’t train BJJ.

Miha Perhavec, who trained for a long time in ECJJA, was recently promoted to black belt by some American guy

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Squirrelsnuts

Hi folks, after this lockdown I would love to try jiu jitsu. Is there any early morning -6am classes- on the Northside of dublin? Im Late 30s , kids etc so would love to get into it but would need early morning classes. I know sbg do early classes but wouldn't get back across the city in time for school runs work etc.
    Do team KF have early morning classes? Can't seem to find timetable for them or sbg Charlestown? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Hi folks, after this lockdown I would love to try jiu jitsu. Is there any early morning -6am classes- on the Northside of dublin? Im Late 30s , kids etc so would love to get into it but would need early morning classes. I know sbg do early classes but wouldn't get back across the city in time for school runs work etc.
    Do team KF have early morning classes? Can't seem to find timetable for them or sbg Charlestown? TIA

SBG Charlestown used to do a 6:30am session but I think that was more of an open mat - hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

SBG24 used to do classes 6:30am-7:30am on weekdays, not sure if you would make it back across the m50 at that time though.

I expect that the bulk of BJJ classes are going to be around 6pm on weekdays, with weekends typically having more advanced or open/informal classes (totally dependent on which gym you look at of course).

The last poster mentioned an "open mat"; in case you weren't aware this means an unstructured class where you can just spar, work on a technique (drill), sort out any issues you've had with positions etc.

Whilst training in the morning is possible I imagine that you may miss out on being at the beginner orientated classes or even busier classes in general as most people train in the evening.

Can't speak for SBG, but I've never seen a morning beginners class in >10 years of training BJJ.

Don't let that discourage you though, definitely get into any class you can and check it out. It's addictive!

Doff wrote: »
    SBG Charlestown used to do a 6:30am session but I think that was more of an open mat - hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

SBG24 used to do classes 6:30am-7:30am on weekdays, not sure if you would make it back across the m50 at that time though.

Thanks for the reply sbg 24 definitely too far out. Will need to learn before open mat training.

Iguarantee wrote: »
    I expect that the bulk of BJJ classes are going to be around 6pm on weekdays, with weekends typically having more advanced or open/informal classes (totally dependent on which gym you look at of course).

The last poster mentioned an "open mat"; in case you weren't aware this means an unstructured class where you can just spar, work on a technique (drill), sort out any issues you've had with positions etc.

Whilst training in the morning is possible I imagine that you may miss out on being at the beginner orientated classes or even busier classes in general as most people train in the evening.

Can't speak for SBG, but I've never seen a morning beginners class in >10 years of training BJJ.

Don't let that discourage you though, definitely get into any class you can and check it out. It's addictive!

Thanks for the reply. Yes I think that is the catch 22 situation I'm In! I can only train morning times but unfortunately need experience to train in the morning! Hopefully I can figure something out!

Thanks for the reply. Yes I think that is the catch 22 situation I'm In! I can only train morning times but unfortunately need experience to train in the morning! Hopefully I can figure something out!

I also have kids, work etc.

Is it impossible to train even one or two nights a week? Some places have classes at 7 or even 8 pm which may or may not coincide with bedtime for kids etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Pre covid 10th planet used to do 7am classes on a weds or Thurs i think. Theyre in North Strand.

As an aside, officially a year since i was last on the mats now :( (thats me on the right)

sVPvIpp.jpg

memorieeeees... like the corner of my miiiiiind... :D

Advertisement