Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Tazzimus wrote: »
    G'way you, it's mine :pac:

Cheers Chairman Meow, I should have walked, would have been less tiring than that cycle

No worries man! If theres any problems with the sizing or anything just let me know, ill refund you no worries. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

G'way you, it's mine :pac:

Cheers Chairman Meow, I should have walked, would have been less tiring than that cycle

Haha all good. I have the new white one anyone.
    Need new shorts more than a gi tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

G'way you, it's mine

Fighting over a second hand gi... that's what I like to hear :-)

We have new shorts coming soon, just finalising the design but they will have an elasticated waist with velcro and a pull string. The last shorts were a mare with sizing so we have changed.

Been off the mats since May as I had to have 3 lumps of bone taken out of my knee. Hoping to get back properly in the NY but taking a few classes and passing on the knowledge for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Anyone have any experience with SBG24? I couldn't get an answer when I rang and there's nothing on their website about timetables, membership fees, class sizes etc. I'm looking to join a club around the Tallaght area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Doff wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with SBG24? I couldn't get an answer when I rang and there's nothing on their website about timetables, membership fees, class sizes etc. I'm looking to join a club around the Tallaght area.
    Could always call in.
    Good few decent coaches up there.

I'd assume it's a bit cheaper than HQ, so probably around the €100 mark a month. Class size will vary, depending on who shows up on the night, what level of class, time of year etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Could always call in.
    Good few decent coaches up there.

I'd assume it's a bit cheaper than HQ, so probably around the €100 mark a month. Class size will vary, depending on who shows up on the night, what level of class, time of year etc.

Probably a stupid question but are they open outside of class hours? Previous places I went to only opened during class hours and I wouldn't want to be disturbing a class that is in session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Doff wrote: »

One of the best gi bjj players and coaches in the country (Joey Breslin) is the head bjj coach, and Paddy is as good a coach as anyone for both fighting and bjj.

If the rest of the staff are as sound and competent as the two lads you'd be on yo a winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

One of the best gi bjj players and coaches in the country (Joey Breslin) is the head bjj coach, and Paddy is as good a coach as anyone for both fighting and bjj.

If the rest of the staff are as sound and competent as the two lads you'd be on yo a winner.

A little unrelated but Paddy's book is worth a read.

Tom King awarded Paddy Holohan his black belt today.

Well deserved and hard earned.

Long overdue that one.
    See Ais got a promotion as well, first Dan I think?

• Advertisement

I’ve always wondered what was going to happen with that situation. Glad somebody had sense to step in. And glad it’s still somewhat SBG lineage, to avoid any shït stirring.

Mellor wrote: »
    I’ve always wondered what was going to happen with that situation. Glad somebody had sense to step in. And glad it’s still somewhat SBG lineage, to avoid any shït stirring.

Yeah it's a sad one.
    Should have been awarded it a long time ago tbh. Glad it was Tom as he'd know Paddy's game, abilities, and limitations better than anyone.
    If Tom says Paddy's a black belt, then paddy is a black belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

Congrats to Paddy on what would appear to have been a long overdue promotion.

Far cry from the days we kept track of blue belts :D

On a separate note, anybody here trying to watch Polaris 12 on Fight Pass? It's been basically unwatchable for me, and can't figure out if the problem is my end, or with the stream itself

Jaysus Christ. Paddy did a 50 round shark tank for that belt.

I'd be dead.

Jaysus Christ. Paddy did a 50 round shark tank for that belt.

I'd be dead.

Got that Tallaght stamina, all that running from the garda giving him insane cardio :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

What actually happened with him and JK for them to have such a falling out?

I always assumed they were on speaking terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

eeloe wrote: »
    What actually happened with him and JK for them to have such a falling out?

I always assumed they were on speaking terms?

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomKingKF/status/1192104805143068673

JK has fallen out with a few of the old guard as well as Paddy

Money over friendship by the looks of it.

Seems to be a pretty big falling out, just wondering why it hadn't been more commonly known!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭creeper1

Quick question. I am living in Taiwan and went to a competition a few weekends ago. There was only one other guy in my category (masters 3 under 76 kg).

It was the most boring match in the world spectator wise as he just pulled closed guard and I couldn't pass. I was basically stuck and he could not do anything either. (Though annoyingly I lost the match I assume because the referee judged he was more attacking than me)

I am 42 years old now and it seems the masters categories has precious few competitors. Going up to the capital Taipei for just one match seems not too worthwhile.

Would it be a good idea to compete in the under 76kg category against guys in their 20s and 30s or would that be unwise due to potential injury or embarrassment?

creeper1 wrote: »
    Would it be a good idea to compete in the under 76kg category against guys in their 20s and 30s or would that be unwise due to potential injury or embarrassment?

Won’t be any significantly greater risk of injury or embarrassment imo. But it will be a tougher division. So you’ll need to be better technically to win.

I’m master 1 but I compete at adult to get more matches. I’d look at how many people entered master 1 and master 2 in the last comp. it could be a worthwhile move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭creeper1

So are you saying that guys eligible to compete in masters 3 could move to masters 1 in order to compete against more people?

That may make more sense. Competing against guys I assume around the age of 35?

creeper1 wrote: »
    So are you saying that guys eligible to compete in masters 3 could move to masters 1 in order to compete against more people?

That may make more sense. Competing against guys I assume around the age of 35?
    It may depend on the comp. But typically you can enter any lower division. So rather than jump straight into the 18-29 division. Test the waters in 30+.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Masters brackets tend to be smaller everywhere.

If Masters 2 is empty then you might move down to Masters 1 to get matches. If you're confident that you can take a bit of a maelstrom of physical activity then yes, you could go Adult.

I tend to drop down but stay within Masters categories (or just not enter at all if there's nobody), but I know some people take a default medal and then register in the Absolute / open weight.

Anyone else heading to Lisbon in Jan?

registered a few weeks ago, still healing a few injuries at the minute, but i've not trained at all this week and looking forward to getting stuck back in next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

eeloe wrote: »
    Anyone else heading to Lisbon in Jan?

registered a few weeks ago, still healing a few injuries at the minute, but i've not trained at all this week and looking forward to getting stuck back in next week!

Was planning too.

But I have only done one tournament this year and training is sporadic.
    I am heading for a training camp in Lisbon with my team though so will be heading to watch some of the days.

Back in Dublin for a few weeks.
    Have some nogi gear with me. Where is good to drop into? Daytime classes a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mellor wrote: »
    Back in Dublin for a few weeks.
    Have some nogi gear with me. Where is good to drop into? Daytime classes a bonus

ECJJ, 10th Planet lads in the IFSC, Satori and Royal Grappling Academy in Blanch, SBG? Loads more though depending on where you are.

Cheers. Out west, so Satori, RGA, SBG are fairly close. But have a car so can drive to most places.
    I see they all have classes tomorrow, so spoiled for choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Cheers. Out west, so Satori, RGA, SBG are fairly close. But have a car so can drive to most places.
    I see they all have classes tomorrow, so spoiled for choice.
    RGA all day long, 2 MG black belts and a very skilled and sound team.

• Advertisement

Gonna try train a few times while I'm here. Maybe tonight, tomorrow day time. Christmas day rolls etc.
    If I come across anyone on the mat say hello.

Update:
    RGA tonight.

Advertisement