Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kindles in Tesco

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Anyone know which Tesco stores southside Dublin have the Kindle in stock?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jayteecork wrote: »
    What gives? How to you get power back onto it?

It uses the standard Micro USB cable that all smartphones (other then iPhone) and many other electronic devices use.

The EU forced this on the smart phone companies (rightfully IMO). The idea being that in future your smart phone won't come with any charger or cable and you just use the charger and cable from your old smart phone, thus cutting down on ewaste.

If you don't already have this charger and cable, then you buy them separately.

There are many advantages to the consumer with this:

- You can buy spare/backup chargers and cable for dirt cheap on places like deal extreme and have one charger at home, one at work, one at the girlfriends place, etc. Before extra chargers cost an absolute fortune as the were proprietary.

- If you forget your charger at work or abroad, it is very easy to borrow someone elses one or get one for cheap at the local shop.

- If you are bringing multiple electronic devices on holidays (phone, gps, ebook reader, etc.), you only need one charger for them all, rather then carry multiple chargers.
    whiterebel wrote: »
    No touch screen. Thats on the Fire which is US only at the moment.
    So you can download via Amazon's free 3G where there is no WiFI.....

There is a touch screen Kindle e-ink ebook coming in a few weeks time. But I'm not convinced it will be better then the non touch version. I'm waiting to see reviews and comparisons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Plenty in Tesco bloomfield (dun laoghaire) yesterday

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

bk wrote: »
    It uses the standard Micro USB cable that all smartphones (other then iPhone) and many other electronic devices use.

The EU forced this on the smart phone companies (rightfully IMO). The idea being that in future your smart phone won't come with any charger or cable and you just use the charger and cable from your old smart phone, thus cutting down on ewaste.

If you don't already have this charger and cable, then you buy them separately.

There are many advantages to the consumer with this:

- You can buy spare/backup chargers and cable for dirt cheap on places like deal extreme and have one charger at home, one at work, one at the girlfriends place, etc. Before extra chargers cost an absolute fortune as the were proprietary.

- If you forget your charger at work or abroad, it is very easy to borrow someone elses one or get one for cheap at the local shop.

- If you are bringing multiple electronic devices on holidays (phone, gps, ebook reader, etc.), you only need one charger for them all, rather then carry multiple chargers.

Great idea in theory. In practice, though there seems to be 3 different USB connectors, which lets it all down.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Can anyone tell me why I would need the 3G over just the basic Wifi?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Great idea in theory. In practice, though there seems to be 3 different USB connectors, which lets it all down.

With the exception of the iPhone, all Smartphones use Micro USB as required by the spec put forward by the EU.

Most other portable electronic devices are voluntarily moving towards the same standard too. I won't even buy a new portable electronic device unless it uses Micro USB now.

Rumour has it that given the success of the Smart phone scheme, the EU are going to extend it to other portable electronics devices such as ebook readers, handheld game consoles, tablet pc's, digital cameras, etc.

In the meantime, I use these brilliant cables, which include the three most frequently used connectors (iPhone connector, Micro USB and Mini USB) in one:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/retractable-3-in-1-usb-data-charging-cable-for-mini-usb-micro-usb-iphone-ipod-black-94070
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/retractable-usb-to-30-pin-mini-usb-micro-usb-charging-cable-93312

BTW watch out with the first one, I find it doesn't work with my girlfriends phone (Samsung Europa) on the microUSB port on her phone is recessed in the phone, so it doesn't plug in properly.

Yakult wrote: »

In the keyboard kindle you can use the 3G for free internet anywhere in the world. Handy for keeping in contact with people.

For the new Kindles, this has been dropped, so you are basically just using 3G to buy new books and surf wikipedia. Not worth it IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

If you travel alot and want to download books on the move then the 3G might be useful. However you can just put books on before you go or use the wifi spots in the area's you are in so really there isnt much need to spend the extra money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

For the new Kindles, this has been dropped, so you are basically just using 3G to buy new books and surf wikipedia. Not worth it IMO.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure the free 3G has been scrapped on the new kindle touch?

From the Amazon site:

"Easiest to Use, Free 3G Wireless
    Kindle Touch 3G is our easiest-to-use, most-convenient Kindle because there is no wireless setup--you are ready to shop, download, and read right out of the box. Kindle Touch 3G uses the same wireless signals as cell phones, so you don't need to worry about Wi-Fi connections, passwords or internet charges. Unlike cell phones, with Kindle Touch 3G there are no monthly fees or commitments — Amazon pays for Kindle Touch 3G's wireless connectivity. "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Alpish wrote: »
    "Easiest to Use, Free 3G Wireless
    Kindle Touch 3G is our easiest-to-use, most-convenient Kindle because there is no wireless setup--you are ready to shop, download, and read right out of the box. Kindle Touch 3G uses the same wireless signals as cell phones, so you don't need to worry about Wi-Fi connections, passwords or internet charges. Unlike cell phones, with Kindle Touch 3G there are no monthly fees or commitments — Amazon pays for Kindle Touch 3G's wireless connectivity. "

The 3G is free but on the new kindles you can only use it with a handful of sites and the Kindle store. On the older version you can use the browser to access any site you wanted; was very handy for checking your email while travelling in a foreign country.

daveyjoe wrote: »
    The 3G is free but on the new kindles you can only use it with a handful of sites and the Kindle store. On the older version you can use the browser to access any site you wanted; was very handy for checking your email while travelling in a foreign country.

So would you advise getting the wi-fi only version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

So would you advise getting the wi-fi only version?
    Totally depends on your needs. If you do a lot of travelling and you want to be able to download a book from the Kindle store from pretty much anywhere then the 3G version might be worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

I got a kindle last month . the one with the keyboard and wi fi . Delighted with it . Son has arrived in now with another one. I think it may be newer than mine. Slightly smaller and the keypad is built into the screen through the menu button.
    My query is this. Can we share / transfer books to each other ?
    He bought his in PC world €109

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭positron

My query is this. Can we share / transfer books to each other ?

If you want to share books that you bought off Amazon, you may need to register same amazon account (either yours, or your son's) to both kindles.

Or see here: http://www.ehow.com/how_5555987_share-books-between-kindle-accounts.html

If you want to share other books, you may need to copy that from kindle to kindle via a PC.

I've arranged to get a Kindle delivered to a colleague who is visiting US next week for him to bring it back for me. I went for the cheap and cheerful Kindle 4 wi-fi, the one with the ads. It shouldn't cost me more than €70 over all. Waiting fingers crossed..! :o

And while I love books, the main reason I opted for Kindle 4 is because it's affordable, and because in the long-run it would be cheap (all sorts of books that I want to read are available online, open, free, copied etc). I didn't go for wi-fi because I won't be buying many books on the go, and even if I wanted to, I am online one way or other between the pc & phone anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

daveyjoe wrote: »

So the one that Tesco are selling is the new one?

If so, what are the sites that one can browse? gmail? or any email account?
    One could set up forwarding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Bargain alerts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

In my opinion you dont. The browser on it was fairly crap. It crashed every time i was on Facebook and was very slow. It killed the battery on the kindle as well, so i had it switched off all the time anyways.

The advantage of it, is that it is free, but in this day and age you are never too far away from a wifi hot spot anyways.

Up to yourself of course mind you....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If you are doing a lot of travelling around the world the older Kindle keyboard 3G could be a good option as it still has the free worldwide internet. Otherwise I would just get the wifi I think. Plenty of places have GPRS or 3G internet everywhere but not free wifi (rural India and China, for example.)

blorg wrote: »
    If you are doing a lot of travelling around the world the older Kindle keyboard 3G could be a good option as it still has the free worldwide internet. Otherwise I would just get the wifi I think. Plenty of places have GPRS or 3G internet everywhere but not free wifi (rural India and China, for example.)

And the one in tesco is the new 3g?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If you're likely to read through a few thousand books whilst on your travels before getting access to the next wifi then get the 3g one. Otherwise the wifi only one will be sufficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭yogicolly

does anyone know if the new kindle for 110 in tesco is the ad supported one or non ads one??

Tesco version has no ads. The ads / special offers version is US only, as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I got the $79 cheapest version in the US last week, haven't even connected up the wi-fi, I was able convert my existing book collection into .mobi format using Calibre and transfer them onto my Kindle from my PC using the supplied cable.

As I haven't used the wi-fi, there is no sign of any ads on the screensaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marknine

yogicolly wrote: »
    does anyone know if the new kindle for 110 in tesco is the ad supported one or non ads one??

The add supported Kindle is only in US. All it does is leave an add as a front page when the kindle is off. Once you use the kindle again, you never see the add.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

And the one in tesco is the new 3g?

No, the old keyboard one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

On a demo model I tried out a few weeks ago in Currys, there was a Clairol ad at the bottom of the book list. It's not on the bottom of the one I bought there, though (unless its intermittent).

No, the old keyboard one.

Nice.
    So I buy the 3g in Tesco I can check email and surf the web anywhere, for free?
    That's amazing, nearly worth the price alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Nice.

It's useful to get you out of a tight bind, but it's really not a good browsing experience... at all. Really.

breathn wrote: »
    It's useful to get you out of a tight bind, but it's really not a good browsing experience... at all. Really.

horrible for browsing - not even worth it being free!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭GaryW

Nice.

In practice the 3g doesnt allow web browsing in europe only amazon store and wikipedia. Read the small print very carefully before you buy this for its web browsing capabilities... it does work in ireland and the uk but not hte mainland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Huh? I have a Kindle 3G and used it to browse in Spain and the States without issue and it perfectly fine as a temporary solution when you're out and about, I would say that mobile version of websites are the preferred option when available.

As lots of the accessories like a protective case etc. ar epretty expensive on Amazon it might be worth while checking out deal extreme.

The items are much cheaper, they may not be as good quality but it's a saving:

http://s.dealextreme.com/search/kindle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I've used mine in Spain & Austria - I've noticed that it seems to allow a limited amount of browsing, but seems to have a daily or weekly limit and then it says "the page you have requested is not available" - enough to browse e-mails and check headlines, no more.

As lots of the accessories like a protective case etc. ar epretty expensive on Amazon it might be worth while checking out deal extreme.

The items are much cheaper, they may not be as good quality but it's a saving:

http://s.dealextreme.com/search/kindle

I got one of these last year and cannot fault it, great budget solution to store your kindle, compared it to a mates expensive Amazon purchase and not much in the difference

sku_49303_1.jpg

I can't decide between the above dealextreme case and the gelaskin skins. Just look at some of those designs. Bit pricy though at $20 or so.

http://www.gelaskins.com/store/tablets_and_ereaders/Kindle_4/collection/Most_Popular

I have a Gel Skin too, it will not act as heavy protection for your kindle, it's just a sticker to save from scratches maybe but if your kindle falls onto say, a tiled floor then it will not help like the leather effect one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I got one of these in Tesco for about €7. Its all I need. Keeps the dust off the kindle when I'm not using it, and protects it while traveling.

One of the best things about the kindle that it's lightweight. Bulking it up and doubling the weight of it with a leather enclosure is counter-intuitive. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Mr E wrote: »
    I got one of these in Tesco for about €7. Its all I need. Keeps the dust off the kindle when I'm not using it, and protects it while traveling.

One of the best things about the kindle that it's lightweight. Bulking it up and doubling the weight of it with a leather enclosure is counter-intuitive. :)

I like the leather cover myself, makes it feel more secure :)

Just looking at some Kindle 4 reviews on YouTube, I didn't realise Kindle had such a cool dictionary feature. Now I can see the case for a touch screen Kindle, and while I am still waiting for my non-touch screen Kindle 4 to be delivered, I think there is a reason for an upgrade..! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

marknine wrote: »
    The add supported Kindle is only in US. All it does is leave an add as a front page when the kindle is off. Once you use the kindle again, you never see the add.

Yes - the ads replace the "screensavers". It's actually a pity as the screensavers (including a Book Of Kells-ish one) were well done - basically put a "front cover" on your kindle for when you leave it lying around. Apart from that they aren't intrusive - they do not appear on screen when you are reading. In truth Amazon have designed the whole Kindle system for people who read, not for people with short attention spans :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

juke wrote: »
    I've used mine in Spain & Austria - I've noticed that it seems to allow a limited amount of browsing, but seems to have a daily or weekly limit and then it says "the page you have requested is not available" - enough to browse e-mails and check headlines, no more.

I've used my Kindle 3G in Germany, Spain and even Argentina with no problems. It's a bit of a pain to use sometimes but it works and it has definitely come in very handy when I was away from a wifi hotspot and trying to find out about whether flights were delayed or check emails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

Does anyone have any idea will the kindle touch be available in ireland for before the xmas?

Got the Kindle 4 NT today. What a clever little device. With Calibre for collating all sort of news, books etc, it's looking like a great little tool. First impressions are really good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Got the Sony pocket reader a few years ago, just hadn't used it much in ages for some reason. But then in a sudden rush of "need to buy something" went and got the Kindle 4 from Tesco UK for £89.

Much thinner and lighter than the old Sony one, and the screen is bigger too. Liking how easy it is to get books onto it, select the free stuff through the Amazon account in a full browser. It automagically downloads next time you turn on the wifi. Have managed to xfer a few books that I had on the Sony by using Calibre, even seemed to convert some epub purchases I'd made into whatever Amazon format and they came out appearing fine on the Kindle. The emailing PDF's to the @kindle.com address to convert them worked OK for some documents as well, well once I'd figured out that you needed to add the subject line "convert" to get them to reflow.

Still don't see the point in having a keyboard on the original Kindle.

robinph wrote: »
    ..using Calibre, even seemed to convert some epub purchases I'd made into whatever Amazon format and they came out appearing fine on the Kindle.

.mobi - I was astounded by the amount of books out there in this format. Not encouraging anyone to go out and pirate stuff, but I went ahead and downloaded a few .mobi files (DRM free, or DRM removed, I don't know) for the (paper) books that I already have, and everything is so easy with Calibre.

• Advertisement

positron wrote: »
    .mobi - I was astounded by the amount of books out there in this format. Not encouraging anyone to go out and pirate stuff, but I went ahead and downloaded a few .mobi files (DRM free, or DRM removed, I don't know) for the (paper) books that I already have, and everything is so easy with Calibre.

Was actually the Tolkien books I'd bought a while ago, but luckily had already un-drmed them. Otherwise I'd now have lost those purchases due to a change of product to read them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Berberis

TomCo wrote: »
    The new model is €99 in the airport btw. Thats even cheaper than amazon!

Which shop in the airport TomCo.
    Flyng out tomorrow morning, would like to pick this up if I can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Berberis wrote: »
    Which shop in the airport TomCo.
    Fling out tomorrow morning, would like to pick this up if I can
    Dixons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Berberis

Dixons

Thanks for that.
    I have one of those DAA €10 Airport shopping voucher, so will use that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 renga

I've used my Kindle 3G in Germany, Spain and even Argentina with no problems. It's a bit of a pain to use sometimes but it works and it has definitely come in very handy when I was away from a wifi hotspot and trying to find out about whether flights were delayed or check emails.
    Sparrow, can I ask for clarification: (1) Do you mean you used the browser via 3G? and (2) Is it an Irish-bought Kindle Keyboard you used?

I posted a specific question elsewhere on boards.ie (link) that you might be able to address, as this is a make-or-break for me.

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement