Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

In my mind the biggest laugh here is that it is the Brazilians that are exposing this.

The Brazilians have contributed more corruption, to FIFA anyway, than most countries put together.

Never forget the guy that supported and was the predecessor of old Sepp Blatter was none other than Rio's own Joao Havelange.
    The guy who with his son in law were accused of taking $41 million in bribes.

Anyway here is hoping Pat gets well soon so he can move to a nice Brazilian jail cell. ;)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

LorMal wrote: »
    Very possibly - as part of an investigation. You don't know, I don't know. Not every Irish person who has been arrested abroad is guilty (as we know all too well)
    To be fair, if he was 100% in the mire on this one, one would have expected him to feign a very serious illness and fly home rather than risk getting picked up by the Brazilian authorities. So it may just be a routine arrest as part of the inquiry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

sabat wrote: »
    His son was staying in the hotel room next to his, presumably on a free holiday on the OCI's (ie taxpayer) tab. There's some corruption right there before even getting into the whole ticket thing.

'Presumably' doesn't cut it. The hotel room was being paid for by the IOC, not the OCI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

sabat wrote: »
    His son was staying in the hotel room next to his, presumably on a free holiday on the OCI's (ie taxpayer) tab. There's some corruption right there before even getting into the whole ticket thing.

Would that be the son who Romario (btw smash he is a famous ex Brazilian footballer and now politican), asked questions about in 2012 about how come his company was getting tickets from IOC for olympics ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Actually no. You don't get to set the rules. I am making the point that this man has not been proven guilty of anything. If that ruins your fun, grow up.

Can I point you in the direction of politics cafe? They have a more serious tone than AH.

Relax my friend, have a laugh, I promise it wont hurt ya. :D:D

☀️ 7.8kWp ⚡3.6kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

smash wrote: »
    Right. So he's suspected of illegally passing on tickets then. Why the hell didn't Breaking News say that?

You understand what 'breaking news' means right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭conorhal

Shuttle666 wrote: »
    According to Brazilian newspaper Estadao, Hickey, also President of the Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI), was arrested this morning at his hotel here in Rio.

The 71-year-old was also reportedly taken to hospital after being taken ill at the time he got arrested.

A sudden attack of the Angela Kearns, caught rapid syndrome?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Not a fiddlers indeed. Of course we can learn about focusing money on certain events such as cycling or rowing if getting more medals is our aim. We won't hear about Laura Trott or her partner again for another 4 years at least so they are of no benefit to Irish people.

No benefit to Irish people?

They are a group of our neighbours who displayed a masterclass in discipline, training, ambition, fitness and success at the highest level. I found watching it inspirational.

I would hope that some Irish people a lot younger than me would aspire to be the best they can be by relating to these people. Sure Jason Kenny has the head of an Irish fella!

Having said all that, the corruption which is clear to see in a lot of areas is sickening and will surely have the opposite effect to what I have just described above..

Alive1 wrote: »
    Neither was Charlie Haughey
    Didn't make him innocent though.
    Some of us have been waiting decades to this fcuker , who once described himself as untouchable get his comeuppance.
    A great day for Irish Sport.

Charlie Haughey's guilt does not make Pat hickey guilty. I am not even suggesting he is innocent - I am stating that nothing has been proven yet and it is only fair not to hang him yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I am sure Mr Hickey will be pleased to have the opportunity to clear up this mess once and for all. While there is no question of any wrong doing on his part, the IOC's, or its relationship with THG, a clear the air exchange of views should be productive as a means of putting this matter to rest. It is unfortunate that this process will interrupt Pat Hickey's work on behalf of Ireland and its athletes while the games are still in progress. This is unfortunate for the athletes and teams there, but hopefully they will be unaffected by this distraction and still give their all in their events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

This fact alone is why the Irish Olympic "family" should be ashamed. The guy is like Sepp Blatter, a little Buddha, second rate demi god looking after those he needs to keep onside.

And his replacment is John Delaney! Yep Vice president of the OCI! To be honest the issues faced by the OCI are pretty much the same for nearly every international Olympic committee and not unique to Ireland.

Considering the contracts Rio/Brazil sign to host the Olympics it is highly surprising he was arrested! However it might have something to do with distracting from the comments of one Mr Conolan last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

LordSutch wrote: »
    No benefit, no need, not a fiddlers ...

Well I for one think the cycling races @ the Velodrome were fantastic. Trott, Kenny, Wiggins & Co certainly gave me feel good winning feeling! but then, that's just me.

Maybe some of our cyclists should travel over to Manchester and train there for the next Olympics.

Various athletes go to various countries to train. If it benefitted an athlete of course go wherever like many go to USA including Brits.

the O Donovan brother and their performance will be an inspiration to Irish people as will Thomas Barr and Annalise Murphy. They are after all Irish and will be an encouragement to fellow Irish athletes.

Can I point you in the direction of politics cafe? They have a more serious tone than AH.

Relax my friend, have a laugh, I promise it wont hurt ya. :D:D

If you ask them nicely, I am sure Boards will make you a Mod. In the meantime, stop modding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

You understand what 'breaking news' means right?

Well going by the article as it was linked in the OP with its complete lack of detail it would be considered clickbate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

The bould Pat Hickey is very cliquey
    Renowned for being a right arselickey
    This morning as he had a quickie
    The cops burst in while he held his mickey
    His shlt it did then go all bricky
    So he went and tried to fake a sickie
    For Teflon Pat this problem's tricky
    These charges could prove awful sticky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

Irishman rotting in Brazilian Jail..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Exiled1

Don't worry about Delaney taking over the OCI. There is only a €70000 honorarium available....Oh I forgot....there are perks too.....though it is difficult to imagine greater perks than currently at FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

If you ask them nicely, I am sure Boards will make you a Mod. In the meantime, stop modding.

Now you are getting it, a little humor, well done my friend, you are getting the spirit of AH :D:D:D:D

☀️ 7.8kWp ⚡3.6kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

RayM wrote: »
    What is it about bosses of sporting organisations? So many of them are dodgy, mediocre middle-aged/elderly men with a massive excess of confidence and little else. Absolutely delighted to hear this.
    All involved in giving each other backhanders and doing "favours" for each other.

http://www.the42.ie/pat-hickey-john-delaney-ioc-olympics-fai-2912926-Aug2016/

• Advertisement

I am sure Mr Hickey will be pleased to have the opportunity to clear up this mess once and for all. While there is no question of any wrong doing on his part, the IOC's, or its relationship with THG, a clear the air exchange of views should be productive as a means of putting this matter to rest. It is unfortunate that this process will interrupt Pat Hickey's work on behalf of Ireland and its athletes while the games are still in progress. This is unfortunate for the athletes and teams there, but hopefully they will be unaffected by this distraction and still give their all in their events.

Who is left to compete apart from Barr? I doubt Hickey's work will have any impact whatsoever on Barr's preparation or performance.

He essentially told Shane Ross to F-off and mind his own business. He'll regret that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,446 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

''He attempted to morph into background when police came knocking. He was out buying camouflage clothes yesterday but couldn't find any''

New Pork Timmies'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

IOC holding a press conference today as well at 11 Rio time....... the plot thickens

Who is left to compete apart from Barr? I doubt Hickey's work will have any impact whatsoever on Barr's preparation or performance.

He essentially told Shane Ross to F-off and mind his own business. He'll regret that.

He brings a very positive energy to the whole team which rubs off on everyone. As a long term, tireless, and selfless servant to Irish athletes, we may be sure that Mr Hickey will be assisting the authorities in their investigation as fully as possible, and his only thought will be to get back to representing Ireland for the remainder of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stanley1980

I'd be fairly confident nothing will come of this and he'll be released. However, there's no denying the reputational damage. The main question I have is how is it possible for any one person to be head of the IOC for nearly 30 years?! There should be maximum terms for all these bodies to try to negate the apparent rampant cronyism. Same for FAI et al.

He brings a very positive energy to the whole team which rubs off on everyone.

I think you are talking through your hoop. Maybe we should hire Chris Rock to improve our athlete's performances.

His arrest will have zero impact on Barr's performance or any other Irish athlete.

I just hope he achieved a PB for his escape act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

I believe Ciara Everett in the 800m today ...now is it

50k walk Heffernan Friday
    , Mens Triathalon ...i think that's on now
    Aileen Reid Triathlon saturday I think

I am sure there is someone I have left out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Press conference 'should be' due from Rio, anytime now on SkY News, RTE New Now or BBC News?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

That's great OP. So who is this guy and what's your opinion on the matter?

Any context into your post or am I expected to do all the work myself? :eek:
    Once upon a time , in a land, far, far away......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

I hope the gardai take a leaf out of the Brazilian cops book and start clamping down on touts.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Alive1

Cienciano wrote: »
    All involved in giving each other backhanders and doing "favours" for each other.

http://www.the42.ie/pat-hickey-john-delaney-ioc-olympics-fai-2912926-Aug2016/

Yup,
    All the main actors in the ticket scalping are soccer figures, a soccer agent, a known ticket scalper who owned an English Football Club ..............
    I'm sure Mr Delaney had no hand in facilitating any of those connections though, he is beyond reproach as the €5 million secret backhander he took from Blatter on behalf of the FAI proves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,446 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He is apparently trying to play him self off as a modern Willy Wonka

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    I hope the gardai take a leaf out of the Brazilian cops book and start clamping down on touts.

I hope not. Touts provide a very valuable service, oiling the market of supply and demand. Very often, its the only way I can get tickets. Touts just show that tickets were too cheap to begin with. More power to them I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Why did I immediately think of an individual called Dominique Strauss-Kahn when I heard Hickey had been arrested in a hotel room?
    There could have at least involved a hotel chamber maid to spice it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I'd be fairly confident nothing will come of this and he'll be released. However, there's no denying the reputational damage. The main question I have is how is it possible for any one person to be head of the IOC for nearly 30 years?! There should be maximum terms for all these bodies to try to negate the apparent rampant cronyism. Same for FAI et al.

Maybe but Getting bail in Brazil doesnt't appear too easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Pat Hickey had publicly named John Delaney to take over as head before 2020.

Were just good friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

so on the news in corrupt Ireland,calls by the corrupt establishment for the usual corrupt tribunals/ terms of reference stall stall yawn because they fear damage to Ireland's good name

hope he sings like a canary over there

so on the news in corrupt Ireland,calls by the corrupt establishment for the usual corrupt tribunals/ terms of reference stall stall yawn because they fear damage to Ireland's good name

Irish people seem to have a corruption gene.

Why did I immediately think of an individual called Dominique Strauss-Kahn when I heard Hickey had been arrested in a hotel room?
    There could have at least involved a hotel chamber maid to spice it up!

No need for that type of insinuation.
    The police may have been a bit heavy handed, and the press will try to make it dramatic, but I am sure things will be straightened out pretty quickly.

The police may have been a bit heavy handed, and the press will try to make it dramatic, but I am sure things will be straightened out pretty quickly.

You're doing your best to whitewash this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Another interesting fact, Pat's son Stephen Hickey worked for THG during the the run up to the London 2012 olympics, surly a conflict of interest. The same THG whose directors now have warrants for there arrest for selling tickets that were given to Pro10.
    And there does seem to be indication that both THG and Pro10 fall under the Marcus Evans Group umberella, THG definitely do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Alive1

Something as crooked as Hickey couldn't be straightened out if you ran over him with a steamroller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/live-olympic-council-of-ireland-president-pat-hickey-arrested-in-brazil-750161.html
    Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Shane Ross is in Rio and clashed with Mr Hickey earlier this week when the OCI refused Government calls for independent oversight on its inquiry into the ticket scandal.
    He is understood to be under investigation over his involvement in the irregular sale of Olympic tickets.
    Did Mr Hickey not bribe the right people in Rio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,306 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Theres too much lining up for this to have no substance, also what innocent man runs from the police?

And the son had stayed in the room next to him in Rio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You're doing your best to whitewash this thread.
    No just this one but right across boards and other forums: the language is being changed slightly: best to put on the ignore list.:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I presume I'm not the only one who noticed what the acronym of Lucretia's username is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Irish people seem to have a corruption gene.
    FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

In light of his own arrest perhaps Kevin Mallon has done his own bit of singing to initiate this morning's police action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I heard he threw 2 hookers at the cops and tried to abseil down the aide of the hotel to his waiting chopper as south African mercenaries covered his escape with gunfire.

Edit: unconfirmed reports though.

• Advertisement

Captain, enlighten me.

Advertisement