Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I didn't hear it but written down it is really inarticulate. Even the 'Miracle baby' stuff is confusing. 'With great effort they are hoping there will be another baby....that's just a background to the stress they're under at the moment' .

Look, if Mick Jagger can have a baby at 72, there is nothing wrong with Pat Hickey trying to have one, or even two. Its his own business, and good luck to him, whatever his problems in that area.
    Agree the lawyer shouldnt have put this item into the picture though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I didn't hear it but written down it is really inarticulate. Even the 'Miracle baby' stuff is confusing. 'With great effort they are hoping there will be another baby....that's just a background to the stress they're under at the moment' ....is she linking PH's situation to the baby survival or conception or what? The 'heart condition' sounds sketchy as hell.
    And 'trawled naked'? We saw sweet FA....not that you'd want to mind, just his head and neck.

God she got it easy from Marian.
    I'm really annoyed at how easy she got it. We keep hearing about "Fred", but what about Stephen who was over there and left very shortly before the police arrived? No mention of him at all?

I presume the miracle baby means IVF or something. And yes, if you were pregnant and your father was in prison abroad, with people saying horrible things about him on the internet, then yeah, you'd probably be a bit stressed. Imagine how much more stressed you'd be if you didn't have full access to RTÉ to let everyone know how unfair you thought it was? If you couldn't just click your fingers and have government ministers make themselves available to you?

All that bull**** about "grandad taking the kid to school for something special" makes me want to puke though. Most kids in the country manage to start school without having the entire extended family there - they're lucky if both parents manage to make it.

And for a solicitor with such a huge interest in human rights, if she's so outraged at Hickey's treatment that she considers it to be a "flagrant breach of his fundamental human rights", she's not going to get very far in that area if "not being allowed do anything the **** he wants" is the worst thing she can think of. Should we tell her about torture and summary executions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

foggy_lad wrote: »

Does anyone remember the name of the company who were to collect all the computers and laptops phones etc involved in this scam and destroy keep them safe for the many upcoming inquiries?

I think it was Espion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Look, if Mick Jagger can have a baby at 72, there is nothing wrong with Pat Hickey trying to have one, or even two

But what about his dodgy ticker? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

ahlookit wrote: »
    But what about his dodgy ticker? :eek:

Only dodgy when the police come calling.

I love all the comments about the journal.ie not allowing comments but Boards.ie allows comments. Considering both are owned by the same people. It's all rather strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Only a couple of sentences in, came to the bit about the "miracle baby" and already my gob is well and truly smacked!!

Jesus Christ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

irishgeo wrote: »
    Only dodgy when the police come calling.

I love all the comments about the journal.ie not allowing comments but Boards.ie allows comments. Considering both are owned by the same people. It's all rather strange.

Whisht, once lads start ranting, everyone is part of the conspiracy. There's lads actually claiming that people who disagree with them on this thread are being paid to do so by hickey's PR whores.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I got this ,but that's the contract that Joe Punter enters into when buying a ticket so it can't be the right rules.

Similarly, general sales of tickets ROCOG - ATR - punter is not what this is about at all and is therefore a bit of a red herring.

This is about the NOC (OCI here) allocation and the process for passing tickets to the ATR (Pro10 here). That's what brought Hickey into it at all.

I suppose it's also about the nomination process but that will be its own kettle of fish.
    That's the one. There's also a document that outlines the ATR application process which gives a bit more info. But section 6 in what you've linked to is the bit that deals with ATRs.

The rules on NOC allocations has still eluded me. It's funny because I got in a bit of a heated discussion with another guy about this where I was saying exactly what you are saying and he refused to accept that and said the rules above apply to all tickets; ATR public sale ones and NOC ones.

So I'm sorry, but I can't help you beyond what you have there. If it's any comfort, I agree that there should be some clarity on the NOC tickets but to date I can't find anything about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Well I at least she left the pope, and nuns and priests in Brazil out of the Marian Finnucae interview. But some big hitters, Miracle babies in danger if Pat is not released and exonerated soon, little boys first day of school ruined.....Pats feeble old todger mocked all over world News, his heart one defib away from collapsing. A tightly spun work of fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

TL, DR: 'Pat is my friend, and the IRA and Bertie are worse, so feck off with your Irish begrudgery and leave him alone.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

That is unbelievable, if this story has told us anything it's that the media stinks in this country.

What are the media and his camp talking about 'he is enemy number one', 'there is 'hatefest'.?? Where are they getting that? The public have been pretty much 'gagged' from speaking about Pat negatively and we are 'drip feed' spin that insults our intelligence.
    Anything negative has been pretty much covert, as comments are disabled in articles, texts not read out on air that dare speak negatively about him, his family seem to have the whole of RTE as their personal PR arm, and now articles like this basically telling us to 'shut up and be nice' and stop thinking for yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

Looool so basically in summary this article is leave my friend alone you big shower of bully's he did Notting wrong actually he did a service to the poor people who did not have tickets and may have got a bit of profit but everyone is doing that it's not as if he is in the IRA so leave him alone and let him out of jail immediately because I had dinner with him and he's a nice man" :) and the Brazilians are a joke because they won't do what the Irish establishment say so I'm having a hissy fit

• Registered Users Posts: 67,091 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

mojesius wrote: »
    TL, DR: 'Pat is my friend, and the IRA and Bertie are worse, so feck off with your Irish begrudgery and leave him alone.'

Liam could be from this parish? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Reading some of the comments you'd think Pat Hickey was a murderer or rapist. He'd probably get treated better by Brazilian police if if was a murderer - 400 murders a month in Rio and they get bail fairly easily.

Certainly Hickey rubs some people up the wrong way, but does he deserve the treatment that has been metted out by independent.ie or the equally gutter tabloids of the Mail and Mirror? The same sort of "we will make judgement and we will punish you" formula that the independent has used on other people including Michaela McCollum, Eamon Lillis etc. Independent is never satisfied with normal justice - it must add its own. Funny, its owned by Denis O'Brien who will go tot eh end of the earth to pevent stories about him being printed

Even if every scintilla of info was true, what was it? He allowed a different firm sell some tickets as part of hospitality packages - yep, thats it.

Not even a scintilla of evidence to say he got one cent for himself. No evidence of any favours such as fancy holidays. Not even a big fancy car like many charity CEOs have. No big salary either - in fact no salary whatsoever. Yes a bursary of 60k for him to decide what non profit educational / sports format it takes.

Some of the gutter press have tried the story of a family of an olympian being unable to get tickets - he only qualified at the last minute. His mother only started to look for tickets 5 days before it started!!! Whoops - did the gutter press not mention that important part?

Yes, Hickey is not the most likeable person, but the fervent hate by people, perpertrated by one sided rubbish by the independent and other gutter press is what is disgusting about it. Seems they target sheep that read and believe the muck they write and those sheep blindly believe everthing that is written.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Walter2016 wrote: »
    Reading some of the comments you'd think Pat Hickey was a murderer or rapist. He'd probably get treated better by Brazilian police if if was a murderer - 400 murders a month in Rio and they get bail fairly easily.

Certainly Hickey rubs some people up the wrong way, but does he deserve the treatment that has been metted out by independent.ie or the equally gutter tabloids of the Mail and Mirror? The same sort of "we will make judgement and we will punish you" formula that the independent has used on other people including Michaela McCollum, Eamon Lillis etc. Independent is never satisfied with normal justice - it must add its own. Funny, its owned by Denis O'Brien who will go tot eh end of the earth to pevent stories about him being printed

Even if every scintilla of info was true, what was it? He allowed a different firm sell some tickets as part of hospitality packages - yep, thats it.

Not even a scintilla of evidence to say he got one cent for himself. No evidence of any favours such as fancy holidays. Not even a big fancy car like many charity CEOs have. No big salary either - in fact no salary whatsoever. Yes a bursary of 60k for him to decide what non profit educational / sports format it takes.

Some of the gutter press have tried the story of a family of an olympian being unable to get tickets - he only qualified at the last minute. His mother only started to look for tickets 5 days before it started!!! Whoops - did the gutter press not mention that important part?

Yes, Hickey is not the most likeable person, but the fervent hate by people, perpertrated by one sided rubbish by the independent and other gutter press is what is disgusting about it. Seems they target sheep that read and believe the muck they write and those sheep blindly believe everthing that is written.

As long as you got his back.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And of course he did it out of completely altruistic reasons. Just moving on some tickets, trying to help the people get to see the peoples games.

Funnily enough these very same people who seem so concerned with PH and his treatment have said very little about Mallon. PH is not being kept in prison for sh1ts and giggles, there is a back log of cases as the courts were shut. No conspiracy, bad luck on OH part is all.

At no point has any evidence of this bad treatment been presented, the main thing seems to be that he is 71 so must be frail etc. Not seemingly too frail to tell a government minister to sling his hook when he was in control.

Yes, the stories of the hotel room price etc are a bit pathetic, but its due to a news vacuum, and paper doesn't refuse ink. The vacuum exists because of PH and the OCI refusals to deal with the issue when it 1st arose, telling the rest of us to basically get lost and they would look into it themselves, but already know that OCI had done nothing wrong, although they can't comment on anything, except that OCI did nothing wrong!

PH, and OCI, are simply feeling of the effects of the game that they started. He, and they, have no one to blame but themselves.

Even John Delaney statement coming out and saying that he had nothing at all to do with anything at all, and he only went there for tea and biscuits ar something. SUrely he is raging that he was included in this made up mails, (I assume they are made up as JD stated he never had anyhting to do with it). They all seem very quick to come out with their versions of the events but that for anything else they need an inhouse, closed investigation!

If Liam Collins, or any of the other journalists defending Hickey happen to read this, they need to understand a few things.

The majority of people are not delighting in Hickey's downfall. The hatefest is not directed at a single man, but rather at the the representation we are being given by the Irish media. Mallon, who is in the same situation, possibly a more serious situation as he was found with the tickets, is barely getting a mention. You know why? Because we're not being force fed constant stories about him that we're supposed to sympathise with.

The access his PR people seem to have to the media is primarily what's riling people up. If I was arrested in Brazil tomorrow, I cannot imagine that my family's representatives would be given free rein to parrot disingenuous sob stories in "soft" interviews. I doubt that I could have the comments sections of most online newspapers closed down by threatening legal action.

The story has swiftly changed from a hearty septuagenarian who travels the world, manages an organisation, goes for daily runs and is hale enough to be "one of the most important people in the world of sports" to "a frail 71-year-old man with a heart condition".

Yes, I'm sure he probably does have a heart condition - most people of that age do (and most just aren't aware of it, as they haven't had the benefit of regular checkups at the Blackrock Clinic). He was monitored for 24 hours in hospital, and found to be fit enough for jail - they're not denying him medical treatment.

His family circumstances are irrelevant, yet they're being trotted out to garner sympathy. Pregnant daughters/daughters-in-law are not grounds for ignoring a foreign judicial system. Neither is a kid starting school.

The fact that he hasn't been charged is grossly misleading - the Brazilian justice system is different from ours, and has a step before being charged. Due process is being carried out, it's just not the same as the Irish system.

Having his head shaved was reported like it was some major indignity (when in fact it's quite a sensible precaution against headlice), yet it seems that wasn't even true. You can be very sure that his treatment in Brazil is far better than most people's - they will be very conscious of not letting the rich foreigner come to any harm while he's in their care

No real questions are being asked - why did his wife lie about his whereabouts, where is his son Stephen, did he and his wife really have three hotel rooms, how was government funding disbursed between sports, why are we bothering to hold an inquiry in Ireland - what are the goals of that inquiry given it seems no crime was committed in Ireland... There are lots of angles journalists could take, but instead we're being hit with a barrage of "oh poor Pat, they have mosquitos in Brazil, poor frail little old Pat - won't get to take his grandson to school".

That is why people are annoyed. It's not a "hatefest" - it's irritation that once again those with deep enough pockets seem to get to dictate the agenda, particularly in the state broadcaster, which we're all forking over €160 to support.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

:D:D:D:D:D:D

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/inside-the-windsor-marapendi-former-oci-chiefs-room-is-a-far-cry-from-notorious-prison-35002764.html

The Indo's article this morning showing us Pats "lavish" hotel room he was arrested from.

I think the guys from the Indo need to go and stay in a few nice hotels, as that hotel looks very ordinary, as does it's breakfast buffet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rio-2016-olympics/inside-the-windsor-marapendi-former-oci-chiefs-room-is-a-far-cry-from-notorious-prison-35002764.html

The Indo's article this morning showing us Pats "lavish" hotel room he was arrested from.

I think the guys from the Indo need to go and stay in a few nice hotels, as that hotel looks very ordinary, as does it's breakfast buffet!

So ordinary, he needed 3 of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Family lawyer on Newstalk with Pat Kenny now. Can't believe she was let out again after her performance on Marian Finucane!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

That is unbelievable, if this story has told us anything it's that the media stinks in this country.

What are the media and his camp talking about 'he is enemy number one', 'there is 'hatefest'.?? Where are they getting that? The public have been pretty much 'gagged' from speaking about Pat negatively and we are 'drip feed' spin that insults our intelligence.
    Anything negative has been pretty much covert, as comments are disabled in articles, texts not read out on air that dare speak negatively about him, his family seem to have the whole of RTE as their personal PR arm, and now articles like this basically telling us to 'shut up and be nice' and stop thinking for yourselves.

You don't have to look too far for the evidence you are seeking Daisybelle. On this thread, people have called for him to be imprisoned for life, to be executed, to be raped.

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Family lawyer on Newstalk with Pat Kenny now. Can't believe she was let out again after her performance on Marian Finucane!

A solicitor coming on national radio saying she didn't know that passports belong to the state? Is she actually a solicitor? Or an adult? She didn't know that it's normal for people to have a second passport?

More of the same crap again "photographing his stuff and displaying it is a major indignity".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

What is their motivation for having this 'story' on their front page? 'Five star hotel has nice rooms'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

His Grand daughter starts school today, Wont somebody think of the children ?

At least Pat Kenny's asking her a few questions instead of "How are the grandkids taking it"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

The solicitor trotting out the ridiculous "this could be any of us" line again :pac:

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Is she for real? "The family member had to run out of a shopping centre because their granddad was all over the papers". The humanity Pat!

He's exposed to mosquitos!
    She thinks the Irish government should tell Brazil "you can't treat our people like that". She has a huge interest in human rights! But not huge enough to take much of an interest in the Halawa case.
    She thinks Hickey is being treated worse than murderers (what a sheltered little life she must have led).
    Liam Collins in the Independent wrote a very fair piece she feels.
    His family didn't know they could write to him!
    By the sounds of it he was treated for a heart arrhythmia earlier this year. While it's not nothing, it's pretty common.
    The family are terrified about being chased down the street with small children. One of them had to run away from a shopping centre with their children, because there were newspapers there with grandad's picture on them.
    She'd like the minister to call the Brazilian ambassador in and tell him we're watching them, and we want them to follow the law - she doesn't think they are.

Hoping to meet the minister on Wednesday. Dept of Foreign Affairs have set up direct communications between Fred Hickey and the Brazilian consulate {does everyone get that facility?}
    By the sounds of it there's no way Hickey can answer any questions while he's in jail - he can only answer questions if he's released!

She didn't realise how many things he was president/member of. Massively successful on an international scale. She thinks people hate Pat because of the recession and terrorists.

We shouldn't lose perspective of a man in a cell, not charged with anything {she still hasn't read about the Brazilian justice system}. Until he's charged defamatory comments are up there, and journalists should watch themselves!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Not such an easy ride today compared to Marian's weirdly subservient approach on Saturday.
    This ridiculous person is putting out the most stupid arguments - she has a problem with the press putting photos of Hickey on there pages?!
    Hopefully she's doing more damage than good.

Advertisement