Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Epsom Derby 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Why does Brian gleeson keep staring down the camera

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Why does Brian gleeson keep staring down the camera

He’s one annoying man.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭WicklowBrave

Some unreal names on these nags it has to be said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,409 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Sovereign 66-1 ew for me

This has staying ability to challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭SonOfGoat

The wait is over finally. Good luck to everyone in their selections. The arse will be out of my trousers if Sir dragonet wins. Layed for the win and also the place. Had a small few bob on Telecaster. Not a great fan of murphy but shur who knows.

Hon the dyck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

F*cking written in the stars Van Dyck/Van Dijk :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Hon the Dyck

The Dyke and Madhmoon. C’mooon.

Let’s gooooo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

Let’s gooooo
    Good darts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Would really fancy Japan for the Irish derby on the back of that run

Can't wait to back Madhmoon wherever he goes next time

Mgoraf wrote: »
    Would really fancy Japan for the Irish derby on the back of that run
    Not sure, looks a bit slow, would like him in Leger but given amount of staying types Coolmore have this year be hard to know what gets aimed at it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Can't wait to back Madhmoon wherever he goes next time

He ran brilliant. I am genuinely shocked by the run, I didn't think he would get the trip at all. Chris Hayes looks gutted.

I would go to Sandown for the Eclipse with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭razorhead

The Dyke and Madhmoon. C’mooon.

Nice forecast

• Advertisement

Madhmoon over 1m2f in the Eclipse would be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

A smashing piece of entertainment, the winner ( looked like he could tighten up again ) and Broome impressed me most. 2yo group form to the fore today and John Gosden had TDH sitting at home, the twit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

readysetgo wrote: »
    99/1 double on Van Dyck and anytime goalscorer Van Dijk.
    Sometimes the stars align... €10 that I have to throw on my faith in fate.

Sound for this I never even noticed it. Threw a tenner on it and have half the place here on it as well.

Van dijk header 90th minute I'll be in the nude

Watching the race again, Madhmoon traveled better than anything into the race he'll be a serious bet at Sandown

Sound for this I never even noticed it. Threw a tenner on it and have half the place here on it as well.

@AftertimeAnsell

• Advertisement

Watching the race again, Madhmoon traveled better than anything into the race he'll be a serious bet at Sandown

Been trying to work out what it all means, the form, and it's pretty dire. The winner ran to about OR 117-118, the next 3 were within 3/4L of the winner putting them on OR 115-116. That's probably officially the worst Derby form of the modern era. Trainers of the older horses won't be afraid to take on this bunch.

A bit of juice in the ground at the Curragh should sort out the pecking order between this bunch. Would like to see Sir Dragonet again with a bit of give in the ground.

My general conclusion would be that they're all relatively average. Madhmoon could come into his own over 10f but it's not a vintage crop of 3yos on available evidence.

Angliru wrote: »

It's a tenner mate.. **** me like.

It's a tenner mate.. **** me like.

Enough for you to still aftertime though...

Angliru wrote: »
    Enough for you to still aftertime though...

Couldn't give a **** tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

When reading through the form and breeding today, if there were two horses that I thought were place lays, the two were Sir Dragonet and Madhmoon. For Madhmoon to come within a half length of winning the Derby was extraordinary. When stepped back in trip, surely Madhmoon is a serious, serious player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

When reading through the form and breeding today, if there were two horses that I thought were place lays, the two were Sir Dragonet and Madhmoon. For Madhmoon to come within a half length of winning the Derby was extraordinary. When stepped back in trip, surely Madhmoon is a serious, serious player.
    Here's some anti-after-timing in case anyone gets angst. Here's what I wrote about the winner to a friend.

Anthony Van Dyck - Interesting contender. The youngest horse in the race by far, born May 19th. Not only the youngest horse in the race, but also the one with the most runs under its belt (8). Having a lot of runs previously is a negative statistically. Recent decent form for its Derby trial puts it at odds with breeding for me (surely having Exceed and Excel on the damsire side disqualifies it from ever winning a Derby?). Just too many question marks on this one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

Though Broome was given a stinking ride. If he held onto him later he would nearly have won. Made a big move as the race was hitting up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

tryfix wrote: »
    A smashing piece of entertainment, the winner ( looked like he could tighten up again ) and Broome impressed me most. 2yo group form to the fore today and John Gosden had TDH sitting at home, the twit.

Too Darn Hot had no chance of winning this he's no stamina

Too Darn Hot had no chance of winning this he's no stamina

That'd be the same TDH that kept on and finished 4L clear of Japan and co in the Dante despite his trainer John Gosden stating that he was only 85% fit that day. The same TDH that got outpaced in his 2yo races before eating up the fields as stamina came into play.

The same TDH who's a full brother to last year's St Leger 2nd Lah Ti Dar, the same TDH whose mother Dar Re Mi was an Arc standard 12f Gp1 winner by the noted stamina influence Singspiel out of the top class mare Darara a 12f G1 Prix Vermeille winner by the noted stamina influence Topville.

The same TDH who has a Dosage Index of 0.75, that TDH.

Beware of trainer BS, like listen, he has so much speed, etc etc.

• Advertisement

That'd be the same TDH that kept on and finished 4L clear of Japan and co in the Dante despite his trainer John Gosden stating that he was only 85% fit that day. The same TDH that got outpaced in his 2yo races before eating up the fields as stamina came into play.

The same TDH who's a full brother to last year's St Leger 2nd Lah Ti Dar, the same TDH whose mother Dar Re Mi was an Arc standard 12f Gp1 winner by the noted stamina influence Singspiel out of the top class mare Darara a 12f G1 Prix Vermeille winner by the noted stamina influence Topville.

The same TDH who has a Dosage Index of 0.75, that TDH.

Beware of trainer BS, like listen, he has so much speed, etc etc.

He looked fast though over 10f that day at York, wouldn’t of won today.

:o
    madmoose wrote: »
    He looked fast though over 10f that day at York, wouldn’t of won today.
    Showing a turn of foot and staying on when supposedly 85% fit isn't not staying. He sure as hell didn't look overly fast in the Irish 2,000 Guineas when staying on.

He's bred to be a 12f horse despite Gosden's protestations about his lack of stamina and none of his races have ( not at peak in Dante ) shown the truth of any doubts about his stamina.

In the Dante beat Derby 3rd 4L, beat Derby winner by 4L in Dewhurst etc.

:o
    Showing a turn of foot and staying on when supposedly 85% fit isn't not staying. He sure as hello didn't look overly fast in the Irish 2,000 Guineas when staying on.

He's bred to be a 12f horse despite Gosden's protestations about his lack of stamina and none of his races have ( not at peak in Dante ) shown the truth of any doubts about his stamina.

In the Dante beat Derby 3rd 4L, beat Derby winner by 4L in Dewhurst etc.

Maybe his best trip is 10f and i wonder if he goes the Eclipse? I think skipping Ascot could be a benefit.

Maybe his best trip is 10f and i wonder if he goes the Eclipse? I think skipping Ascot could be a benefit.

Wherever he goes I hope he bounces back to near his 2yo form. He might even thrive at Ascot track over the mile, the English Champion stakes over 10f in October on easier ground would seem to be a good target for him if he comes up short again over a mile. For some reason those Dubawis seem to struggle a bit at this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭famagusta

Kauto wrote:
    Though Broome was given a stinking ride. If he held onto him later he would nearly have won. Made a big move as the race was hitting up.

Looking back at it again, with the overhead camera on itv, a great addition, I think Broome is the one to take out of the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

10f is his trip. You'll never see him over 1m4f again.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭readysetgo

pity it didnt work out. for a crap game it was worth the tenner for the excitement and hope at every liverpool corner.
    Virgil a thoroughbred horse of a man. The FAI could do worse for the future of irish football than Ryanair him over here and put him to stud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

5 horses finished within a length at finish probably a substandard renewal though the winner finished well . No hard luck stories yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I thought Japan the one to take out of it. I know I keep banging on about him.

But he drifted from 10s to 20s on the day. That's massive. Not an ounce of confidence behind him. They clearly thought he needed the run after a rushed preparation. He's a serious horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Slattsy wrote: »
    I thought Japan the one to take out of it. I know I keep banging on about him.

But he drifted from 10s to 20s on the day. That's massive. Not an ounce of confidence behind him. They clearly thought he needed the run after a rushed preparation. He's a serious horse.

Have to agree with that , he was finishing well and looked like he needed a run , was very highly rated early on and must have had a setback.

I thought AvD hated the track so to still win was a serious performance. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th should all have cause for optimism aswell, however, I wouldn’t be suprised if none of them won an open age Group I between em this season.

I'm absolutely pissed by the way. Mon Liverpool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

The Racing Post Predictor says
    1. Anthony Van Dyck 7/1
    2. Sir Dragonet 5/2
    3. Line Of Duty 25/1
    :pac:

Not the best week for me, a treble.
    I backed the last in the Oaks and the last in the Derby.
    Have an infection raging that I picked up at a hospital procedure last Monday.
    I am a Spurs fan for over 50 years.

The going at Epsom should have been described as firm (or possibly faster) based on race times.
    There was more chance of the clerk of the course streaking down the straight than taking the word "good" out of the Derby going description.

In Nick Mordin's book Winning Without Thinking, he compared going descriptions to races times, comparing the times to standard time for the distance.
    Firm was reported 0.8% but actual firm based on times was ten times that, or 8%. Hard was recorded 0%.
    Mordin used a second a mile as the guide. Races all run about a second a mile slower than standard it was good/soft, races run two seconds a mile slower it was soft.

I think there was a following breeze down the straight at Epsom.
    The commentator mentioned that a filly won a race before the Derby 0.03 outside record time.
    That suggests to me that the Derby time was slow for the conditions, and ended in a sprint.

The 13 Derby runners had run 63 times before the race.
    I always calculate the seconds per furlong for each race (adjusting extra yards e.g. 7f 44y is 7+44/220 = 7.2f, and for beaten lengths, 5 lengths a second).
    These were the fastest pre-race at 7f, 8f, 10f, 10.2f.
    No adjustment for going. I just want to know who ran the fastest.

Name ....................... Furlongs ... Seconds/fur
    Anthony Van Dyck (1) ..... 7.00 ....... 12.05
    Anthony Van Dyck (1) ..... 7.00 ....... 12.15
    Anthony Van Dyck (1) ..... 7.00 ....... 12.16
    Bangkok (12) ................. 7.00 ...... 12.19
    Humanitarian (7)............. 8.00 ...... 12.19
    Madhmoon (2) ............... 8.00 ...... 12.22
    Bangkok (12) ................. 8.00 ...... 12.23
    Circus Maximus (6) .......... 8.00 ...... 12.24
    Circus Maximus (6) .......... 8.00 ...... 12.24
    Telecaster (13) .............. 10.00 ..... 12.69
    Norway (8) .................... 10.00 ..... 12.79
    Hiroshima (11) ................ 10.00 ..... 12.83
    Broome (4) .................... 10.00 ...... 12.92
    Bangkok (12) ................. 10.20 ...... 12.65
    Telecaster (13) .............. 10.20 ...... 12.67
    Telecaster (13) .............. 10.25 ...... 12.70

Hope that Japan fulfils the promise he showed in the Derby but it's probable that 10f will see him at his best. His full Sister ( Secret Gesture ) and Brother ( Sir Isaac Newton ) were best at 10f which would point him towards races like the Eclipse.

On the plus side for him at 12f, he has already stayed 12f in the Derby and he has posted a 118 rpr there which makes him better already than his siblings with 112 rpr for Secret Gesture and 117 rpr for Sir Isaac Newton at their best trip of 10f.

Nearly everything by Galileo stays, even the brilliant miler Rip Van Winkle stayed 12f at Epsom where he was a fine 2L 4th to Sea The Stars but he blossomed when brought back in trip.

Be amazed if Japan drops back in trip myself, looks very much a stayer and not blessed with pace (I have been amazed before and will be amazed again)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

AVD and Madhmoon done
    7/1 and 12/1
    So now ye know who to swerve lads!!

@slattsy !!!!!

GET IN THERE!
    First and Second.....Silence Slattsy....SILENCE

;):)

Be amazed if Japan drops back in trip myself, looks very much a stayer and not blessed with pace (I have been amazed before and will be amazed again)

True, maybe the other pair are the black sheep of the family and he's the normal one ( they have a 12f+ pedigree on Dosage anyway ). They don't come much odder than Sir Isaac Newton. :pac:

The rematch at the Curragh will be great craic. Ryan back on board AVD and everyone wondering whose turn it will be on the day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

Lads stop worrying yer minds. AVD wins this. He was all the rage in the antepost last year and has only enhanced his claims since then. Throw out the Breeders cup run.
    He should be favourite and id nearly say he will go off favourite.

Forgot i put up this a few weeks back.

Easy Game!! :cool:

@slattsy !!!!!

GET IN THERE!

;):)

Giddy up!

@slattsy !!!!!

GET IN THERE!