Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Don't forget yourself in that list what have you now 1100 posts attacking Casey and name calling anyone that voted for him.

Missed the 'me' bit fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,112 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

beauf wrote: »
    By GFA (I assume you mean this I don't see any connection what so ever.

The question is " what inclusiveness and parity of esteem" cannot be answered by saying its "inclusiveness and parity of esteem". That's just gibberish.

So basically no one can explain what SEMS means or what it does.

That bit bolded is reading as gibberish to me. Can you rephrase?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭shady acres

man from "save our community" just been on the radio
    somebody has been stealing ifor williams trailers around tipperary
    i wonder who could it possibly be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

Get that research to Peter then. He can change the legislation when he becomes Taoiseach.
    You won't as far as I know, be able to do it from boards.ie.

I don't want to change any legislation. Don't know where you got that from.
    Travellers are the same ethnic group as us.

man from "save our community" just been on the radio somebody has been stealing ifor williams trailers around tipperary i wonder who could it possibly be

Aliens? It would never be our SEMS friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,461 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

man from "save our community" just been on the radio
    somebody has been stealing ifor williams trailers around tipperary
    i wonder who could it possibly be

Those trailers were besides skips and being thrown out, the man in the factory said they could have them.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

That bit bolded is reading as gibberish to me. Can you rephrase?

Either you think inclusiveness and parity of esteem is gibberish or you can explain it.

I don't want to change any legislation. Don't know where you got that from.
    Travellers are the same ethnic group as us.

If you live in Ireland, your state has deemed them a separate ethnic minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

If you live in Ireland, your state has deemed them a separate ethnic minority.

My state can deem the sun is the moon. That doesn't make it so.

Travellers are the same ethnic group as the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Edward M wrote: »
    Absolutely not.
    They are Irish citizens, no more ethnically entitled to be called special than any other grouping or citizen.
    You could easily apply a way of life to any branch of society.

Are they treated like Irish citizens though? You had one poster suggesting the travellers in Tipperary be burned out of their homes for being too greedy and the poster Richard Hillman agreeing with him. I've never heard that suggested about other people for simply taking advantage of the social welfare system.

There also seems to be people that think being a traveller is somehow having a free and easy ride. When you see how traveller children live in halting sites this is certainly not the case. Substance abuse, domestic violence, crime, neglect. They simply don't have a chance of really becoming much more than their parents. And when they do, like those on the Late Late with third level qualifications did, well you have posters tearing them down for that too.

I don't know what the solution to the traveller issue is but I don't think burning them out of their homes as poster Rischard Hillman believes or in leaving them to starve or locking them all up are viable long term solutions.

• Advertisement

Either you think inclusiveness and parity of esteem is gibberish or you can explain it.

You don't understand 'parity of esteem' or 'inclusiveness'? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

:) How many is that on the 'conspiracy against Casey' list now.
    Just today i have read,

Ryan Tubridy,
    the Government
    RTE Management
    Matt Cooper
    TV3
    Indo
    Journal
    Irish Times
    Me
    Sinn Fein
    FG
    FF
    probably more.

Is it at all possible that maybe it is Casey and the approx 10% of the population that are out of whack here?

Just a thought.
    Oh it's a conspiracy alright. It stinks to high Heaven.
    I'm just hoping that it remains in people's minds until the next election.
    Then we'll see that 10 percent rise a fair bit.
    Again Francie, the message is more important than the messenger.

I don't know what the solution to the traveller issue is but I don't think burning them out of their homes as poster Rischard Hillman believes or in leaving them to starve or locking them all up are viable long term solutions.

A start would be applying the laws of the state equally. A traveller child should be required to have the same school attendance as a settled child and not drop out before the legal minutes age. No exception. Easy to enforce by only paying child allowance on production of proof of school attendance. My wife and I had to get our son's school each year to confirm he was attending school for the benefit to be paid. Small step but education is key to breaking a cycle.

You don't understand 'parity of esteem' or 'inclusiveness'? :confused::confused:

Do the travellers?
    The so-called educated ones didn't come across very well the other night.

I don't explain how its given.

Esteem is earned.

A teacher held in great esteem.
    A teacher was awarded esteem makes no sense.

Like wise being included. What is now included that wasn't before.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What does Ethnic Status confer onto Travellers does anyone know?

heard the last 5 minutes of that live
    fair play to peter for sticking with his plan
    also credit to niall boylan, he would eat tubsy and biscuits darcy for breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Are they treated like Irish citizens though? You had one poster suggesting the travellers in Tipperary be burned out of their homes for being too greedy and the poster Richard Hillman agreeing with him. I've never heard that suggested about other people for simply taking advantage of the social welfare system.

There also seems to be people that think being a traveller is somehow having a free and easy ride. When you see how traveller children live in halting sites this is certainly not the case. Substance abuse, domestic violence, crime, neglect. They simply don't have a chance of really becoming much more than their parents. And when they do, like those on the Late Late with third level qualifications did, well you have posters tearing them down for that too.

Who said burn them out of their homes?

Reported in all our media too lol. Honestly their closed ranks are making me get the jitters now. What are they hiding?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

According to enda nothing

"Create no new individual, constitutional or financial rights.
    Because of course, Travellers already enjoy all the human rights and responsibilities that are afforded for all people under our constitution and laws. The acceptance and implementation of those rights and responsibilities has to work both ways in order for society to function effectively, inclusively and with mutual respect for all citizens."

https://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/eng/News/Taoiseach's_Speeches/Statement_by_An_Taoiseach_Enda_Kenny_TD_on_the_recognition_of_Travellers_as_an_ethnic_group_Dail_Eireann_1_March_2017.html

• Advertisement

I sincerely doubt even travellers know. Like what is it a 'right' to do what they were going to do anyway?

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Who said burn them out of their homes?

thats their culture, when a family member deceases thy burn down their house, culture boss

I don't explain how its given.

Esteem is earned.

A teacher held in great esteem.
    A teacher was awarded esteem makes no sense.

Like wise being included. What is now included that wasn't before.

Travellers are held in high esteem throughout the country. ... Oh wait a minute until I lock my gate and let the dogs out.

A start would be applying the laws of the state equally. A traveller child should be required to have the same school attendance as a settled child and not drop out before the legal minutes age. No exception. Easy to enforce by only paying child allowance on production of proof of school attendance. My wife and I had to get our son's school each year to confirm he was attending school for the benefit to be paid. Small step but education is key to breaking a cycle.

You know who suffers when child allowance is cut? The child.

I don't think anyone knows. I suspect it's like the govt housing plan. Meaningless twaddle to make people think they are doing something when they actually have done nothing.

shouldn't you be busy on the huddersfield grooming gang thread defending the perpetrators and their facilitators

The child with f**k all education suffers as does wider society. Too easy a cop out. I would feel exactly the same about a settled person withholding education from a child.

Now in fairness, who audits what child allowance is used for anywhere? Most people will use it for their children, and since it is universal, those who may not need it immediately will put it in a fund for their children's third level education.

Do Travellers put it away for that? NO .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Gardai,taxman etc do their best to let them alone as the rules do not apply to them the same as people without ethnic status.

• Advertisement

shouldn't you be busy on the huddersfield grooming gang thread defending the perpetrators and their facilitators

Keep up the good fight.

The child with f**k all education suffers as does wider society. Too easy a cop out. I would feel exactly the same about a settled person withholding education from a child.

So tell me how the solution of cutting off child allowance sends that child to education? Is it not more likely it will increase crime? I don't see how it fixes the problem.

Now in fairness, who audits what child allowance is used for anywhere? Most people will use it for their children, and since it is universal, those who may not need it immediately will put it in a fund for their children's third level education.

Do Travellers put it away for that? NO .

You're right. It's usually treated as family income. But if you reduce family income the children suffer too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement