Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

Skallywag - Sad news but does not come as a surprise. I've been checking Austrian resorts and noted opening days were moving targets. St Anton last updated to 17 Dec to open. I also noted the significant rise in Austrian Covid cases. Just today, CNN highlighted Austria as a significant hot spot.

I'd earlier decided not to take the risk this season but have to admit that every day, I found myself trying to come up with a justification to hit the slopes. My latest one was "Sure, I'll just cut out the beers to pay for the two or three Covid tests for the airports (yeah... like I'd really be beer free...).

Looks like the Austrian government will make that decision for me.

This will be a financial disaster to all the family run inns where the ski season is 75% of their annual income.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭maddness

Relax lads and ladies, you can ski in France, Italy and if your loaded Switzerland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Some12 wrote: »

This will be a financial disaster to all the family run inns where the ski season is 75% of their annual income.

My sense of many of these is that they've very low overheads and probably decades of savings behind them, so hopefully will be ok. Also I suspect they had a lot better Summer than usual.

I like staying in these kind of places, and then heading out for food / beer / wellness, so hope they stick around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

a148pro wrote: »
    My sense of many of these is that they've very low overheads and probably decades of savings behind them, so hopefully will be ok. Also I suspect they had a lot better Summer than usual.

This would be my sense of things too. The places I would usually stay when we overnight would be 'pension' type places, which are typically a group of self contained apartments in an older type of building. You would have the feeling that the usually relatively older owners have most likely no outstanding debt, so i guess they will battle through it.

The larger hotels, bars and other small businesses will clearly take a massive hit though.

I think even if resorts do manage to somehow open, then there will also be the moral question for those flying in from other countries. Going on a ski trip is a clear and conscious decision to put yourself directly in the midst of a high risk situation. No matter how well it is organised. If one was unlucky enough to catch it (and lads I know well have caught it in the last two weeks even while doing everything possible to be careful...) and to bring it home and give it to someone in a vulnerable category, then all hell could break lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My wife has no interest in skiing but has always been gracious and encouraging about me skiing every year.

This year, there is no way I'd even suggest it.
    And I've a pretty good idea of what the response would be if I did suggest it - don't come back! And she's be right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

My wife has no interest in skiing but has always been gracious and encouraging about me skiing every year.

This year, there is no way I'd even suggest it.
    And I've a pretty good idea of what the response would be if I did suggest it - don't come back! And she's be right.

You think your wife would let you abandon your home responsibilities so that you could live in a ski resort? What an amazing woman! You're a lucky man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Ya anyone sussed out any work remotely options. Like stay way down the valley for a few weeks head up at weekends and powder days.

I sounds risky given there could be post xmas lockdowns, but curious if people have looked into.

Some days you get fed up of this bloody pandemic and get depressed that there's no skiing in your calendar. Today is one of those days. On top of the ski holiday itself you get a couple of months of excitement looking forward to it as well and that would really be kicking off now in a normal year. You'd get the drip of people here sharing their stories of early season skiing, you'd be keeping an eye on snowfall in November in the hope that it'll have some impact on how much snow you'll have in 2 or 3 months time. I'd look up some of the runs in the Internet to get excited about what runs I better not miss out on doing. They're always unrecognisable when you're there from the YouTube clip you've seen, but it does get the excitement up.

Ah, I know missing skiing is a minor thing in the grand scheme of things and it's rare I let it bother me. But the odd time I think you just have to let yourself feel sorry for yourself that you're not getting to do one of those things that you love to do.

blue note wrote: »
    Ah, I know missing skiing is a minor thing in the grand scheme of things

We can tell you're emotional right now, so we'll agree to collectively move on from that irresponsible and dangerous remark

As far as I can tell those NPHET pricks have yet to show even ONE graph that comments on our skiing prospects, total lack of appropriate expertise, needs to be disbanded immediately and substituted with a powder report

We can tell you're emotional right now, so we'll agree to collectively move on from that irresponsible and dangerous remark

As far as I can tell those NPHET pricks have yet to show even ONE graph that comments on our skiing prospects, total lack of appropriate expertise, needs to be disbanded immediately and substituted with a powder report

Good point. Maybe an inverse relationship should be introduced between the level of lockdown and the amount of snow forecast.

• Advertisement

blue note wrote: »
    Some days you get fed up of this bloody pandemic and get depressed that there's no skiing in your calendar. Today is one of those days. On top of the ski holiday itself you get a couple of months of excitement looking forward to it as well and that would really be kicking off now in a normal year. You'd get the drip of people here sharing their stories of early season skiing, you'd be keeping an eye on snowfall in November in the hope that it'll have some impact on how much snow you'll have in 2 or 3 months time. I'd look up some of the runs in the Internet to get excited about what runs I better not miss out on doing. They're always unrecognisable when you're there from the YouTube clip you've seen, but it does get the excitement up.

Ah, I know missing skiing is a minor thing in the grand scheme of things and it's rare I let it bother me. But the odd time I think you just have to let yourself feel sorry for yourself that you're not getting to do one of those things that you love to do.

I totally agree with the above apart from the bit where you mention that it’s only a minor thing!

I am exactly the same as you, I’m usually all over the various ski forums, looking at webcams, YouTube and anything ski related I can. I also have a countdown app on the phone counting days until my December trip and another one for the March trip. This year I’ve nothing. And before someone mentioned that it’s not important, my ski trips are the things that keep me sane throughout the year.

I also get about five emails a day from various ski companies I’ve enquired with over the years and it’s hard going now.

I have the impression very little going on for the moment at least, apart from Switzerland and the States.

Switzerland might be an option. I usually avoid it but their extreme liberal clientelism mean they will open and let us in.

Again, if lockdown gets our numbers low and lockdowns over there get their numbers down it could work well for us, albeit you're still going to have to take that risk of the flight and self isolate on return

Wow, I just looked at flights there and a variable I hadn't considered - looks like they've all been culled. Aer Lingus don't appear to be flying Zurich any more. Munich schedule is vastly curtailed. So another obstacle! Also Munich you'd have to cross the border into Austria.

Bit more sitting on the fence for a while anyway so.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭andyd12

Wow, I just looked at flights there and a variable I hadn't considered - looks like they've all been culled. Aer Lingus don't appear to be flying Zurich any more. Munich schedule is vastly curtailed. So another obstacle! Also Munich you'd have to cross the border into Austria.

Bit more sitting on the fence for a while anyway so.
    Brother and I had a trip planned before Xmas in the hope it would work. But flights with Aer Lingus got changed so completely messed up the trip and had to cancel.

Same as, we are going to sit it out and possibly do it last minute.

I’d also consider Switzerland as it may be the only place to go.
    I had to fly to the UK in June and it was absolutely grand, masks and plenty of hand gel and I would have no issue flying again if I was to go skiing.
    I really don’t think there is any point in trying to book in advance as the situation here and in Europe is changing all the time. If I do manage a trip it’s because whichever country is open for skiing and I won’t have to quarantine when I get there. I am happy to quarantine when I get home but would get a private test too.

I would really not be getting so excited about Switzerland, they are in the midst of a massive second surge with 6'000 new cases yesterday alone.

The hospital system (and theirs is pretty good ...) is also under massive strain, with covid cases being exported to Germany in some cases. The ICU capacity is now practically full.

https://www.thelocal.ch/20201118/swiss-sound-alarm-as-icu-beds-fill-up-with-covid-patients

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

Has anyone taken the ferry to france and driven to any ski spots in france/ northern Italy? I'm thinking of it as we have run out of wine from our last trip to France two years ago!

Would be looking for a beginners spot, with ski school for three kids and one adult and easy plus boarding for me. Return ferry on February is around €750 so not too bad.

Not too keen on flying with the family in the next few months, but would give the ferry a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I hate to be pessimistic but I can see a big Europe wide surge in infections after the Christmas period. I don't imagine any resorts will be open in January or early February.

The swiss, taking advantage of the countries around them, who would have thought it?

Patience lads - part one of Tony's plan is coming to fruition, we're now rated Orange. I think you may actually be able to Ski in Finland and iceland now, which is a start.

If you could get there.

If european lockdowns / impatience takes it's course we might have options. You'll still have to run the gauntlet though.

• Advertisement

I hate to be pessimistic but I can see a big Europe wide surge in infections after the Christmas period. I don't imagine any resorts will be open in January or early February.

Very possibly true, we'll have to time it right and ride the waves, or in between the waves.

Kind of regret not going to Greece early in the Summer. Numbers were low here and there, was probably the time to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

oinkely wrote: »
    Has anyone taken the ferry to france and driven to any ski spots in france/ northern Italy? I'm thinking of it as we have run out of wine from our last trip to France two years ago!

Would be looking for a beginners spot, with ski school for three kids and one adult and easy plus boarding for me. Return ferry on February is around €750 so not too bad.

Not too keen on flying with the family in the next few months, but would give the ferry a go.

I'd say you'd be better off, going through UK, than driect to France.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭omicron

oinkely wrote: »

I did it before, drove from Cherbourg down to Chamonix. Anywhere that side of the Alps is fairly convenient. You get a good night's sleep on the ferry then 11-13 hrs drive the next day and you're skiing the following day.
    Wouldn't advise Chamonix for what you're looking for but plenty of resorts around that general area in the grand massif, ported du soleil, megeve st Gervais areas that would suit.
    Disadvantage of that ferry in winter time, can be a rough crossing!

I wouldn't go by the UK though as you lose a night's sleep on the ferry, also with Brexit looming you could be looking at long delays in the ports.

Would ferry to spain followed by some of the pyrenees resorts be viable?

omicron wrote: »
    I did it before, drove from Cherbourg down to Chamonix. Anywhere that side of the Alps is fairly convenient. You get a good night's sleep on the ferry then 11-13 hrs drive the next day and you're skiing the following day.
    Wouldn't advise Chamonix for what you're looking for but plenty of resorts around that general area in the grand massif, ported du soleil, megeve st Gervais areas that would suit.
    Disadvantage of that ferry in winter time, can be a rough crossing!

I wouldn't go by the UK though as you lose a night's sleep on the ferry, also with Brexit looming you could be looking at long delays in the ports.

The rough crossing is a risk alright, though we came home after easter in a named storm and despite the 36 hour crossing it wasn't too bad (for me! wife was sick as a small hospital and one of the kids too, two were fine)

Probably research a smaller resort in that area and break up the drive on the way up/down with some sight seeing, wine shopping and decathlon visiting.

With the cost of flights for 5, and being cooped up in a germ box and the airport hassle the ferry seems like a good plan. Board in the back of the van, a few stops on the way down, a weeks boarding / skiing and then fill up with wine on the way back. As you say, a good nights sleep on the ferry, a few good movies for the kids in the van and the back of the trip could be broken by dinner time.
    Would ferry to spain followed by some of the pyrenees resorts be viable?

That's a much longer ferry so might just make it a bit too painful in February, though we do have plans to do that in the spring time in the future and then mosey slowly back up through france.

I'd say you'd be better off, going through UK, than driect to France.

Kind of prefer the direct route to France as i'll get a decent night's sleep on the ferry and it cuts out the drive across the uk followed by the drive through France.

I had a quick look last night and it appears the only Spanish route is Rosslare Bilbao and its about 26 hours each way, then maybe 2 - 3 hours to a resort. I'm used to short solo hops so that's a much bigger commitment. I get the impression its also more of a freight ferry with relatively little customer conveniences too.

Its all a bit stowaway for my liking.

https://planetski.eu/2020/11/24/italians-urged-not-to-go-skiing/

Skiing in the crosshairs I'm afraid.

Touring it is!

Skiing in the crosshairs I'm afraid.

Bavaria's top politician has said the same.

• Advertisement

March lads, March! Be grand.............

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement