Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

morphy87 wrote: »
    You would wonder are the cattle there to fill it? Two people that I know that would normally be starting to sell now have nothing, went down the rearing dairy heifers,

Ah I’d say there are plenty of cattle in the country coming fit over the next few months. There is always a lull this time of the year and especially with all the grass this year lads are in no panic to move them.
    For all the lads that got out of beef to rear heifers it’d hardly come to 1% of finishers I’d imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭morphy87

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Ah I’d say there are plenty of cattle in the country coming fit over the next few months. There is always a lull this time of the year and especially with all the grass this year lads are in no panic to move them.
    For all the lads that got out of beef to rear heifers it’d hardly come to 1% of finishers I’d imagine.

So when do you think the numbers will start to come on stream 5 to 6 weeks? And how do you think the price is going to go?

So when do you think the numbers will start to come on stream 5 to 6 weeks? And how do you think the price is going to go?

I’d imagine September alright when a lot of cattle start hitting 30 months. No two years are the same but usually the price falls back from the summer “high”. This year might be different though.
    Brexit hasn’t gone away though and lads buying round the ring seem to be getting carried away with themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There are less cattle that can be killed as well in the next 6 months than this time last year.

Lot exported over as calves, killed as bulls, etc etc.

That has to help but...

I’d imagine September alright when a lot of cattle start hitting 30 months. No two years are the same but usually the price falls back from the summer “high”. This year might be different though.
    Brexit hasn’t gone away though and lads buying round the ring seem to be getting carried away with themselves.

Stores are mad dear,but anybody selling stores will tell you they need it all to have anything at all out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Stores are mad dear,but anybody selling stores will tell you they need it all to have anything at all out of it

They do and I buy stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Dickie10

so what happened from 2013 onwards from the first page in this thread regarding price, was it all down to dairy expansion. was that 2012 price normal or a bubble high, are we at normal now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A lot of 2018 calves and weanlings were exported. As well there will be away less U16 and U24 months bulls around. We have killed the same amount of heifers and 20K more steers than this time last year. Bull kill dr0pped 500 last week comapred to previous week and is now running 2K below last year. There is 45K less cattle killed than this time last year but we have nearly 50K less young bulls killed. Cow kill is 10k less. But AIM is showing less cattle in the 24 months + bracket from the early June. But since early June steer kill has been 2k/weeks ahead of last year.We also have to factor in the blockade last year that slowed the kill late in the year. The other factor to remember is cattle tied up to claim ANC a lot of these were not bought until late April/May this year. These will not come on market until Late October. As well with grass and a decent milk price dairy farmers will not be culling for another 8-10 weeks and if we get a dry autumn maybe not until November

It not the number of lads finishing it whether the cattle are there or not. Factories work on the presumption that if the cattle are there lads will finish them.

Slava Ukrainii

A lot of 2018 calves and weanlings were exported. As well there will be away less U16 and U24 months bulls around. We have killed the same amount of heifers and 20K more steers than this time last year. Bull kill dr0pped 500 last week comapred to previous week and is now running 2K below last year. There is 45K less cattle killed than this time last year but we have nearly 50K less young bulls killed. Cow kill is 10k less. But AIM is showing less cattle in the 24 months + bracket from the early June. But since early June steer kill has been 2k/weeks ahead of last year.We also have to factor in the blockade last year that slowed the kill late in the year. The other factor to remember is cattle tied up to claim ANC a lot of these were not bought until late April/May this year. These will not come on market until Late October. As well with grass and a decent milk price dairy farmers will not be culling for another 8-10 weeks and if we get a dry autumn maybe not until November

It not the number of lads finishing it whether the cattle are there or not. Factories work on the presumption that if the cattle are there lads will finish them.

Going by your figures and you are usually spot on things should be looking good for the short term at least which would be a help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Were you happy with the weights?

Okay. Big spread 295, 315 and 355 kg dwt. Three born the same week and were treated similarly all along.

• Advertisement

Good loser wrote: »
    Okay. Big spread 295, 315 and 355 kg dwt. Three born the same week and were treated similarly all along.
    That’s a fair difference all right considering they were of similar age

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭memorystick

Will the rain effect the price? August this week and start of autumn. Plenty of gray hay turning black near me.

Going by your figures and you are usually spot on things should be looking good for the short term at least which would be a help

I would not claim to be spot on but I think the usual autumn pressure on prices due to supply may not be there this autumn. I do not think we will see a substantial price rise but neither do I see where the pressure on prices will come from over the next 4-6 weeks

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Will the rain effect the price? August this week and start of autumn. Plenty of gray hay turning black near me.

Start of autumn??

Thats September

Hay has the least effect on price. There is a lot of spare forage around. There are hayshed's full of hay still not used since last year. Loads of silage around as well. Will be taking second cut silage over next 7-14 days. Still very leafy at present just needs a a few days to use up N. Expect it to be not far off first cut in quanity.

Slava Ukrainii

Panch18 wrote: »
    Start of autumn??

Thats September

Ya many people work on this fad. Just because the shortest and longest as well as the equinoxes are around people come back a month and a half from them to start seasons.

The consider winter starting Nov 1st and it probably often dose and consider spring starting Feb 1st. It has become a real fad. In my case I thing I think the season's are more aligned with the start of the months these seaspn turning events happen.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

2 places, one South one midlands are trying hard to pull it this week. To be fair it was talk at the end of last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

The northern buyers in the marts at the minute could help stop the factories trying to pull the prices. They were active in Carnaross again today.

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    The northern buyers in the marts at the minute could help stop the factories trying to pull the prices. They were active in Carnaross again today.

Stop the lights. I'd say there only bluffing, I told one lad I won't bother killing anything this week so & he said ring him back Thursday again and we'd talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Ah they will try and pull them and this weather isn't helping but once there is a wee bit of competition in the market they wouldn't get to pull too much.. 540kg fleshed AAX bullocks made €1240. That's the best part of a €100 more than they would make in factory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

€3.75 base price for heifers at the moment in liffey meats bjd.
    being told strong optimism for more next week??

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Ah they will try and pull them and this weather isn't helping but once there is a wee bit of competition in the market they wouldn't get to pull too much.. 540kg fleshed AAX bullocks made €1240. That's the best part of a €100 more than they would make in factory.

At least €150 more, I'd say.

3 75 steers,south east,stuck on that price even though numbers tight an agent told, might hit 3 80 by the weekend he reckons

At least €150 more, I'd say.

Definitely, I know of a lad who got €3.30 for a serious load of coloured cows, sold the other half in the mart and he reckons they made €150 a piece more in the mart.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Definitely, I know of a lad who got €3.30 for a serious load of coloured cows, sold the other half in the mart and he reckons they made €150 a piece more in the mart.

They mustn’t have been serious cows so

Duke92 wrote: »
    They mustn’t have been serious cows so

There were great cows and got a good price in the factory and the second lot still made more in the mart!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

DukeCaboom wrote: »

I got 3.30 for R grade 3.10 for O grade cows this week. Just wondering what price cows are in the North if they're able to give such prices in the mart down here? I weighed mine and they killed out just a shade under 50% 653 was av LW.

Not too long since I got 3.35 for u24 mth bulls.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Load of bullocks going this week. €3.75 best I can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Load of bullocks going this week. €3.75 best I can get.

Any sweetners.

• Advertisement

jntsnk wrote: »
    Any sweetners.

No. Never got transport thrown in. No weight restrictions I supposed.

When there would be a scarce or in demand, I often get no weight cuts,transport and flat prices unfortunately this ain’t to often

Cahir wouldn't pay me €3.75 last week and (potentially) this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I have 2 old stock bulls fresian and angus, where is the best place to bring them around tipp?

Roscrea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I have 2 old stock bulls fresian and angus, where is the best place to bring them around tipp?

100% the mart Kev took my 4 year old Hereford to nenagh last Tuesday 920 kg 1485 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭memorystick

mahoney_j wrote: »
    100% the mart Kev took my 4 year old Hereford to nenagh last Tuesday 920 kg 1485 euro

Exactly. Maybe that dealer who bought the bull last week and killed him the following day and got over €500 for himself might be there and then we can give out about dealers riding farmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

Exactly. Maybe that dealer who bought the bull last week and killed him the following day and got over €500 for himself might be there and then we can give out about dealers riding farmers.

If that story is true then the farmer selling the bull didn’t know the worth of what he was selling.
    In that case the auctioneer and dealer might have a very cosy relationship and the farmer was asleep in the sellers box.
    I wouldn’t trust some auctioneers as far as i’d throw them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

tanko wrote: »
    If that story is true then the farmer selling the bull didn’t know the worth of what he was selling.
    In that case the auctioneer and dealer might have a very cosy relationship and the farmer was asleep in the sellers box.
    I wouldn’t trust some auctioneers as far as i’d throw them.

There’s times of the year and ainmals I’d go to mart with and others I’d avoid it like the plague I was happy with above know little to nothing about factory or what I’d of got but couldn’t of seen a 48 month old bull comming to much or any more if I went that route .marts are nesecary and great outlet for stock but certain dealers and auctioneers and what’s let go on is infuriating

mahoney_j wrote: »
    There’s times of the year and ainmals I’d go to mart with and others I’d avoid it like the plague I was happy with above know little to nothing about factory or what I’d of got but couldn’t of seen a 48 month old bull comming to much or any more if I went that route .marts are nesecary and great outlet for stock but certain dealers and auctioneers and what’s let go on is infuriating

Your bull made near enough 3/kg unless he.killed 55+%. You would not get it in the factory not for a single stock bull anyway.

Slava Ukrainii

Cahir wouldn't pay me €3.75 last week and (potentially) this week.

Cahir are gone to the dogs for paying in the last few years - so much so that despite being a few miles from there we haven't sent cattle or cows there in a few years

You'd be better off looking elsewhere i'd say

• Advertisement

Sold a AA bull at the mart last week - 1020kg for 1,650. Was happy with that.

If going to the factory then Roscrea is the place for those bulls - apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Local guy here getting 3.75 flat for angus for u30 months. Not bad when AA bonus is included.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Local guy here getting 3.75 flat for angus for u30 months. Not bad when AA bonus is included.

Is he a big supplier ,

Would not consider that great. Would expect most AA's to grade O+/R. Usually a flat price includes all bonuses.

Any O+bullock grading O+ at a base of 3.7/kg would be making 3.78, add AA bonus and he be at 3.88/kg

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Would not consider that great. Would expect most AA's to grade O+/R. Usually a flat price includes all bonuses.

Any O+bullock grading O+ at a base of 3.7/kg would be making 3.78, add AA bonus and he be at 3.88/kg

No, should have said 3.75 base plus all bonuses. O grades will get R price too.
    Not familiar with factory jargon. Don't factory here.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Steers 3.80 south east plus bonus payments and Qa bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

dawn paying 20c for aa once O- or better.

dawn paying 20c for aa once O- or better.

Is that to 30 or 36 months

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Many qualify for the new beef compensation payment?
    I had a load of cattle that missed out by a week in the previous scheme. Had a load miss out by 1 day this time.... on the bright side I'm getting closer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Many qualify for the new beef compensation payment?
    I had a load of cattle that missed out by a week in the previous scheme. Had a load miss out by 1 day this time.... on the bright side I'm getting closer! :D

1st Feb to 12th June is the period. And €100/hd is the rate

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement