Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media - TV, 250MB broadband, phone + Sky Sports or Sky Cinema for €55 a mont

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I have the VM media box which is actually much worse than the horizon box. I never use it.
    I've got saorview, Freesat and ipTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CFC007

New equipment delivered on Thursday. Very good service as had only ordered on Wednesday. Set top box immediately started making aload whining noise. Replacement box ordered. I’ve been with VM the best part of 10 years and have never need a replacement box. Have they changed hardware supplier in the last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭bromley52

CFC007 wrote: »
    New equipment delivered on Thursday. Very good service as had only ordered on Wednesday. Set top box immediately started making aload whining noise. Replacement box ordered. I’ve been with VM the best part of 10 years and have never need a replacement box. Have they changed hardware supplier in the last year?

Are they refurbishing boxes and sending them back out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

bromley52 wrote: »

Yes. I had to get my Horizon box replaced a few months ago as the fan was failing and it was overheating. Engineer showed up and tried to replace it with a banger second hand looking yoke. Told him I wouldn’t take it and they had to get a new box couriered out - I was shocked he didn’t have any new ones with him!

Anyway the new Horizon box is still as rubbish as the previous one performance wise but luckily I don’t have to worry too much about the WiFi issues as I just use an Ethernet connection and it’s grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Yes. I had to get my Horizon box replaced a few months ago as the fan was failing and it was overheating. Engineer showed up and tried to replace it with a banger second hand looking yoke. Told him I wouldn’t take it and they had to get a new box couriered out - I was shocked he didn’t have any new ones with him!

Anyway the new Horizon box is still as rubbish as the previous one performance wise but luckily I don’t have to worry too much about the WiFi issues as I just use an Ethernet connection and it’s grand.

I’m going to sign up for this deal and give it a few days and use the 14 day cooling off period if it’s rubbish. The thoughts of dealing with the incorrect bills in the aftermath already fills me with dread. Let’s hope I’m part of the 10% that it works well for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bromley52 wrote: »

Yes, this has always been the case.

going to parcel motel to collect those now Hopefully its not a pos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

Got the deal. Yes the box is brutal and the Menus for the channels is "not intuitive" to say the least but it's a good deal. I was paying more for Broadband alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Colking wrote: »
    Got the deal. Yes the box is brutal and the Menus for the channels is "not intuitive" to say the least but it's a good deal. I was paying more for Broadband alone.

As a matter of interest, did you get an upgrade? How did you go about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Any idea how this offer will be around for?

Moving house in November and would like to avail of it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Any idea how this offer will be around for?

Moving house in November and would like to avail of it..

Their ads and print said October 2nd (today) but if it's November they and Sky have started doing Black Friday deals though I don't think the offer was as good (cheap) as this

As a matter of interest, did you get an upgrade? How did you go about it?

No upgrade, was out of contract with them for Broadband and wife signed up for this deal as a new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭deco72

Deal has been extended til 9th October

• Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm paying less than I was for just broadband with them and I have the Champions League and Sky Sports in HD. Thats all I wanted it for and its perfect for that, I pity anyone who has to suffer it as their main source of TV though. There is €30 chinese android boxes on ebay more responsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Anyone sign up to this new deal (TV and broadband) under the other half's name while still got a few weeks left on the existing contract?

How does it work...new equip comes out via the post and you just swap the boxes out and start up the new account? They then come to collect the old equipment once that termination date is reached?

I've 2 weeks left to go to my termination date and the offers they're giving me to sign up for another year are crap. So willing to overlap the 2 accounts for that short period of time. Just want to make sure the switch over has gone smooth for others?

jay0109 wrote: »
    Anyone sign up to this new deal (TV and broadband) under the other half's name while still got a few weeks left on the existing contract?

How does it work...new equip comes out via the post and you just swap the boxes out and start up the new account? They then come to collect the old equipment once that termination date is reached?

I've 2 weeks left to go to my termination date and the offers they're giving me to sign up for another year are crap. Sol willing to overlap the 2 accounts for that short period of time. Just want to make sure the switch over has gone smooth for others?

Exactly both systems working for my 27 day overlap of services. Have the old one connected in the bedroom for IPTV whilst the switch happens. Opted for 500Mb service but the WiFi is no better downstairs so will need to buy a WiFi range extender

• Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I've 2 weeks left to go to my termination date and the offers they're giving me to sign up for another year are crap. So willing to overlap the 2 accounts for that short period of time. Just want to make sure the switch over has gone smooth for others?

Yep got wife to cancel and signed up under my own name few days later. No hassle, plugged in new router and set top box no issues.

Got 2 SIMs 5for5 one ported no issue the other didnt and the staff were useless at trying to sort it out. In the end ported the other one to eir (had an old SIM lying around that I hadn't used) took 2 mins and then ported to tesco mobile 15 deal.

New box plugged in and set up but no channels appearing...says I need to ring 1908 Customer Care.
    New Wifi router working fine.

Do I really need to ring 1908 or is there a way to get the tv up and running without bringing that hassle into my life!

New box plugged in and set up but no channels appearing...says I need to ring 1908 Customer Care.
    New Wifi router working fine.

Do I really need to ring 1908 or is there a way to get the tv up and running without bringing that hassle into my life!

Give it 30mins and it’ll come on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭asharkman

Called up on Monday. Said I was going to quit virgin, because I actually was. This was my 3rd attempt at getting a discount and the other two times they would only give me like a tenner off. Got half price for 6 months and 2nd TV box for 5e for 12 months.
    Was 110e a month now 55e, they also gave me 500 Meg broadband.

Definitely worth a call if you are out of contract.

Give it 30mins and it’ll come on

Left it on all night and it didn't kick in. Will ring them today...pray for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Villan11

Left it on all night and it didn't kick in. Will ring them today...pray for me!

Had the same experience, call to customer care did take time but the agent was helpful and resolved it. Just be sure that whichever premium channels you ordered (sports or cinema) are also showing as they didn't on mine even after the basic channels were.

Got it up and running. Sky Sports in SD is disappointing but I'll live with it for €1 a month

you should have hd as well ? You get it for free for the first year

Nope, as per 1st page of this thread, the offer was for SD only

You can also get HD. I'm sure thats what you requested, You need to get on to them to deliver what you requested.

I have it. It costs nothing extra for the first year.

Edit: Sorry, it seems its 1E extra per month

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chirin

asharkman wrote: »
    Called up on Monday. Said I was going to quit virgin, because I actually was. This was my 3rd attempt at getting a discount and the other two times they would only give me like a tenner off. Got half price for 6 months and 2nd TV box for 5e for 12 months.
    Was 110e a month now 55e, they also gave me 500 Meg broadband.

Definitely worth a call if you are out of contract.

Out of contract now and looking to get the Full House 500 bundle but I don't think any sort of pursuading will get me near the price a new customer will get. For a new customer it will cost €74 p/m, plus the €30 activation fee, less the boards one for all of €50, so a total of €868 for year 1.

Do you think as an existing customer they'll give me anything close to this? Otherwise I'll just get my partner to sign up.

dave oc wrote: »
    Seems like it is the HD version of Sky Sports included in this deal, confirmed in TalktoVM thread here:
    https://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/110912551

This is where they also put it in the terms, which is what led you to request it in the first place. It was merely an oversight on their behalf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭MurDawg

Has this deal ended officially?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement