Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Climate Morons on The Late Late Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

topper75 wrote: »
    Fair cold November lads so far.
    I think they picked the wrong time of the year to have their climate week. There won't be many customers in to buy the idea of global warming whilst they are defrosting the windscreens.

Luckily even most children can comprehend the idea that a gradual average increase in world temperatures does not mean it wont ever be cold anywhere on earth again

It's why it was now called 'climate change' to help people like you look beyond your back garden and recognise that even though a climatic issue may not be directly affecting you there can still be wider climatic issues ongoing affecting others around the world. Shocker

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Bdjsjsjs

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Where? Here in Ireland maybe.

It'll have the opposite effect in most of the world.
    Global yields of wheat and rice are modelled to increase, provided farmers adapt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

no it isnt

stop churning out kids is #1 by a huge factor
    Note though that this comes from a single paper with questionable assumptions that is debated by climate experts. The study is one by Wynes and Nicholas.

What the paper actually does is compute the average number of descendants a woman will have from a single child out to roughly 2650. The rough termination of 2650 comes from using another paper by Murtagh and Schlax as to when a woman can assume her descendants on one line will terminate on average (The Murtagh and Schlax study is itself debated). It then assumes each descendant produces as much carbon as people today, then weights each descendant by how many generations they are from you. This gives a carbon total across hundreds of years that are then divided into your lifetime.

The resultant number is far higher than what a child actually produces in a year. The method also produces over counting. For example your grandmother is allotted 25% of your carbon, your parents 50%, then you're allotted 100%, which results in overstating your carbon by 75%. (This is a more general problem with the method, unlike other savings it's a counterfactual).

Under their constant emissions assumption you get 58 tons per year. If you use a declining carbon production out to 2650 you get 3.5 tons per year. Increasing carbon emissions 79 tons.

In terms of what a child actually produces in a year is in the region of 4-6 tons, not 58 tons. Which is about the same as a couple taking two flights to the Mediterranean (with current estimates on radiative forcing included).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

It's stupid comments like this that make me despair for people.

We're you expecting Bahamas weather instead?
    By the time we're getting 25 degrees on an average November morning humanity will be long dead.

I suspect he knows that.

l-27499-behold-i-am-one-of-simple-mind.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

wakka12 wrote: »
    Luckily even most children can comprehend the idea that a gradual average increase in world temperatures does not mean it wont ever be cold anywhere on earth again

Coalzheimers is a terrible affliction.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Master of the Omniverse

Do you think its possible that any of the youth assembly are old enough to remember "climate gate"? Is it possible that it hasn't come up in their social media feeds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Faugheen wrote: »
    Boards isn’t reflective of society. It’s where people go to to vent their anger and frustration at everybody else but their own sad, ****e lives.

Peter Casey is the prime example. Boards polls had him winning the Presidential Election by a landslide and he’s gone on to be the representative for perennial losers, starting with with walloping he got in that Presidential election.

I'd be willing to bet that the vast amount of people on the Presidential thread backed Casey in the betting w/o Higgins. I know I did and got 16/1. I was absolutely delighted. And I wasn't the only one. Most people betting on him did it in the w/o Higgins market. No one thought he was going to win in a landslide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Do you think its possible that any of the youth assembly are old enough to remember "climate gate"? Is it possible that it hasn't come up in their social media feeds?

Scams hoaxes and right wing bs shouldn't be part of the curriculum anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It's stupid comments like this that make me despair for people.

We're you expecting Bahamas weather instead?
    By the time we're getting 25 degrees on an average November morning humanity will be long dead.

I thought it was ironic that RTE picked this November for their climate week campaign. Didn't you? Bad call to talk about global warming catastrophes when it is bitter out.

But you dispair away Padre, it won't affect me.

• Advertisement

It's why it was now called 'climate change' to help people like you look beyond your back garden and recognise that even though a climatic issue may not be directly affecting you there can still be wider climatic issues ongoing affecting others around the world. Shocker

I'm not shocked. I'll just carry on. Warm in summer and cold in winter.
    Call me again if that changes - yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Motivator wrote: »
    Ireland represents 0.06% of the worlds population. What we do in this country has absolutely no impact on the world’s climate. At 36 years of age, I really don’t need to be lectured by some jumped up privately schooled toadface on a Friday evening telling me to buy second hand jeans in order to save the planet.

Post of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Anyone have any clear stats on Commuting to School modes nowadays vs 20-30 years ago? Certainly when I was in school mainly in the 90s the numbers walking, cycling and arriving via bus were a very sizeable %. Most didn’t get dropped to the gate in an SUV (no one really had SUVs bar a few farmers that needed them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

And that's what most people will do.

Just so long as you don't b*tch and moan when positive environment policy is enacted.
    I thought it was ironic that RTE picked this November for their climate week campaign. Didn't you? Bad call to talk about global warming catastrophes when it is bitter out.

But you dispair away Padre, it won't affect me.

Another ridiculous comment from someone who doesn't understand the difference between climate and weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

road_high wrote: »
    Anyone have any clear stats on Commuting to School modes nowadays vs 20-30 years ago? Certainly when I was in school mainly in the 90s the numbers walking, cycling and arriving via bus were a very sizeable %. Most didn’t get dropped to the gate in an SUV (no one really had SUVs bar a few farmers that needed them).

It's not the kids driving to school though is it, it's overprotective gobsh*te parents. Poor planning and reliance on cars also comes into this though, urban sprawl has a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Cordell

What we're doing here today is nothing comparing to the impact of the emerging economies when they finally emerge. This is what those twts don't realize: in order to achieve a significant reduction in the speed of CO2 emissions increase the underdeveloped countries need to stay underdeveloped, they should stay poor and hungry.

Read the bold part carefully; this is what we have to realize first, reduce and stop the increase, before even thinking about decreasing.

• Advertisement

Cordell wrote: »
    What we're doing here today is nothing comparing to the impact of the emerging economies when they finally emerge. This is what those twts don't realize: in order to achieve a significant reduction in the speed of CO2 emissions increase the underdeveloped countries need to stay underdeveloped, they should stay poor and hungry.

Read the bold part carefully; this is what we have to realize first, reduce and stop the increase, before even thinking about decreasing.

What we're doing here is a lot, and the way we run our societies and the waste and the consumption is not something other countries should aspire to. There's plenty of wealth and food to go around, it just needs to be distributed better. I have no doubt we're just going to keep going as is until war etc breaks out but really the only way would be to slow down our economies, stop this mega consumer lifestyle somehow, and to try and find some kind of equilibrium with nature.
    I say this as we come into Xmas where no politician would ever have the balls to come out and tell people to spend less and not to buy useless crap that none of us need over the coming weeks, despite what they say about wanting to help the environment.

We need industry, and we moved all to China, and now we're pointing fingers at them. Well, not all of us, the Gretas :)
    We can reduce and become greener and more sustainable here because we can afford it, and we absolutely should do that but not at any expense. But countries that need to build their infrastructure and industry will effectively cancel all of our efforts, and it's not fair to deny them the development we had here.

Spending less will help well off people to save more, but it may send minimum wage people on the dole.

Another ridiculous comment from someone who doesn't understand the difference between climate and weather.

Oh - suits you to break the link sometimes does it?

Odd how extreme weather events are useful then for the cause and are magically indicative of climate change.

Which is it?

What we're doing here is a lot, and the way we run our societies and the waste and the consumption is not something other countries should aspire to. There's plenty of wealth and food to go around, it just needs to be distributed better. I have no doubt we're just going to keep going as is until war etc breaks out but really the only way would be to slow down our economies, stop this mega consumer lifestyle somehow, and to try and find some kind of equilibrium with nature.
    I say this as we come into Xmas where no politician would ever have the balls to come out and tell people to spend less and not to buy useless crap that none of us need over the coming weeks, despite what they say about wanting to help the environment.

Exactly,the never ending debt based consumerism is THE PROBLEM,do we really need endless new phones,the latest car,the next fashion accessory ,plastic rubbish that is rammed down our throats at every opportunity ,constant advertising.Dies the government talk about THIS?
    What about banks and the never ending cumulative interest that requires people to be enslaved for most of their lives just to own their own house,leading to endless jobs for endless consumerism for things that we don't NEED! What about the education system that brainwashes children into believeing that a "job" is what every child should aspire to? REALLY ? We are so far removed from everything that IS important for our future,and THIS is what our children should be aspiring to.
    Of course the governments round the world aren't interested in promoting this,children arent taught about how to understand their minds,how to care for animals,how to care for each other,or how to truly care for this planet,because after all ,they are the future slave consumers,and the gravy train needs their dumbing down to keep on rolling towards our planned dustopian future,and keeping the status quo for the bankers and corporations.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Just so long as you don't b*tch and moan when positive environment policy is enacted.

And when exactly is the last time that Ireland Government have implemented a positive policy change effectively?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

This is what those twts don't realize: in order to achieve a significant reduction in the speed of CO2 emissions increase the underdeveloped countries need to stay underdeveloped, they should stay poor and hungry.

Is that not what they are doing? How many developing Nations will be able to afford many of these technological changes? Will they be able to keep up with the tariffs placed on countries who don't meet carbon targets?

Well, that's exactly my point: they can't afford. They need energy, and green sustainable energy is expensive. But no one seem to talk about this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Bdjsjsjs

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/86-drop-in-children-cycling-to-school-942858.html

Why the hell are SUVs even allowed in cities? We need to get tough on this kind of thing and stop letting advertising and big business rule the roost.

Why particularly SUVs? Why not all cars?

Why particularly SUVs? Why not all cars?

They take up a lot of space and burn a lot of fuel. There is no reason why you'd need one in a city. But yes people should be discouraged from owning cars in the first place, planning societies around cars leads to all kinds of problems.

It's not the kids driving to school though is it, it's overprotective gobsh*te parents. Poor planning and reliance on cars also comes into this though, urban sprawl has a lot to answer for.

They’re we able to decide to protest- they can surely decide to get to school in other means too- according to themselves this life and death so the slight security rush would be worth it surely?

Bdjsjsjs wrote: »

Not surprised- but when is the 86% from? Article isn’t very clear

They’re we able to decide to protest- they can surely decide to get to school in other means too- according to themselves this life and death so the slight security rush would be worth it surely?

Does your attempt to outwit achoolkids feel good or something? Just ignore them ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Field east

Climate change is extremely complex. But warming will for all its problems do some good like boosting yields of many crops.

What about the requirement by plants for water.

• Advertisement

Does your attempt to outwit achoolkids feel good or something? Just ignore them ffs.

Not trying to outwit them just calling out their ridiculous hypocrisy. The younger ones haven’t a clue obviously but 16-18 years olds who are the most vocal can make decisions and choices relating to transport and consumerism and I’ve no doubly a much higher carbon footprint than us now adults ever had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

How cold and inconsiderate of you. A lot of this comes down to a complete lack of empathy for those in third world who will bare the brunt of climatic catastrophe, really. If the effects were felt more keenly in the first world, by those who are causing the damage, ironically, then youd see greater change.

Climate change is extremely complex. But warming will for all its problems do some good like boosting yields of many crops.

What about the water required. I’d prefer a colder climate as long as there is not a water deficit re crop growth. Rain is needed to recharge the ground water situation also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

How cold and inconsiderate of you. A lot of this comes down to a complete lack of empathy for those in third world who will bare the brunt of climatic catastrophe, really. If the effects were felt more keenly in the first world, by those who are causing the damage, ironically, then youd see greater change.

Using terms like the third world has long been considered
    inappropriate.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Using terms like the third world has long been considered
    inappropriate.

How very woke of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Where were you watching this? Pathe news before the 3pm matinee?

No, watched it happen. News and broadcasts at the time.
    I recall the great relief that nuclear was had been avoided.
    Would not have much confidence in Team Trump if a similar crisis erupted nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Using terms like the third world has long been considered inappropriate.

'the world of third'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Turd world

More than a quarter but less than a half world

• Advertisement

acksually... Ireland is a 'Third World' country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,564 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If there is any validity to the claims being made by scientists and climate change activists, there are going to be parts of the world that will become uninhabitable due to drought and flooding. The people who live there would migrate to areas of the world that are less affected.

Watch then, the same people who are saying that there's no problem now, lose their shit and start complaining about why we "did nothing" to avert climate change when we had the chance, because millions of "undesirables" will suddenly be on their doorstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Tony EH wrote: »
    If there is any validity to the claims being made by scientists and climate change activists, there are going to be parts of the world that will become uninhabitable due to drought and flooding. The people who live there would migrate to areas of the world that are less affected.

Watch then, the same people who are saying that there's no problem now, lose their shit and start complaining about why we "did nothing" to avert climate change when we had the chance, because millions of "undesirables" will suddenly be on their doorstep.

I doubt many will be migrating here. According to RTE Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway will be underwater.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

just saw on BBC news that we should all be eating kangaroo instead of beef ....

Let me get this straight, people want it to stay cold in Ireland when it could be warmer? And they are also ok to be taxed for the weather to remain miserable?

Who are the real crackpots????

Will mainly come from Venice and countries such as Bangladesh!

• Advertisement

Why the hell are SUVs even allowed in cities? We need to get tough on this kind of thing and stop letting advertising and big business rule the roost.

Reminds me of discussion I had with a psychologist one time. She made the point of a Dublin resident saving up to buy a car that can reach 60ml/hr in 40 secs - only very expensive cars can achieve that- and going to work every morning doing an average of ,say, 25mi/hr - traffic lights and all that .
    The words ‘ego and status’ comes to mind. Also ‘a must have’ , ‘look at me’ etc, etc etc come to mind

Let me get this straight, people want it to stay cold in Ireland when it could be warmer? And they are also ok to be taxed for the weather to remain miserable?

Maybe not taxed but why dont we have governments encouraging us to stop our mindless consumerism and promoting reuse and getting us to stop buying rubbish we dont need which fuels dirty factories and pollution

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Motivator wrote: »
    Ireland represents 0.06% of the worlds population. What we do in this country has absolutely no impact on the world’s climate. At 36 years of age, I really don’t need to be lectured by some jumped up privately schooled toadface on a Friday evening telling me to buy second hand jeans in order to save the planet.

Ireland has the 37th highest emissions per capita on the planet. One quarter of the world's population doesn't even have electricity. So your average Irish person in their mid 30s who has had access to electricity since the day they were born will have a carbon footprint many many times greater than your average citizen in Myanmar and Bangladesh those third world countries on the front line of sea levels rising. If you drive a car in Ireland you are contributing more to climate change than your average third world citizen, if you travel by ferry or by plane, the same. Have you ever bought fruit out of season ? because it has to be transported by container ships on the high seas from places as far flung as south America and south Africa... again this has an enormous carbon footprint. Most electronics and clothes are made in the far east again they have to be shipped from there to Ireland which has a huge carbon footprint. So while the total population of Ireland is tiny the average carbon footprint of every Irish person is disproportionately huge in comparison to your average Indonesian.

If we take your stance we are basically saying screw those less fortunate than us who contributed next to nothing per individual to the climate crisis. Remember Irish electrification began in 1946 and was rolled out gradually after this point with most of the country being electrified by the 60s, bear this in mind when you remember 1.5 billion people still have no electricity. That isn't conjecture or the opinion of privately educated students, its a fact however unpalatable it say seem.

If we take your stance we are basically saying screw those less fortunate than us
    They are screwed either way: if we reduce our carbon footprint they will starve, if we don't they will drown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

No you haven't got it straight at all.

Getting warmer comes potentially with a high price, like the sea rising 1 metre.

The scale of works required to solve this problem would be enormous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement