Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Morons on The Late Late Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Bdjsjsjs wrote: »
    It would be doomsday for many rare species but not for humans. I can't stress this enough. Plenty of modes show human relisence at 4 degree increase.

Yep. I just love the 4 degree increase when I leave this place every year for the hols.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,051 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It would be doomsday for many rare species but not for humans. I can't stress this enough. Plenty of modes show human relisence at 4 degree increase.

And what about the many, many species of flora and fauna we depend on to survive?

Will they flourish at higher temperatures, or will we need to introduce thousands of new species from warmer climates? 2100 is only 80 years away. People living now will be around to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yeah but I think what pisses people off here is the total hypocrisy, these kids scram and demand change but what are they doing in their own lives ?
    I'm sure they are still taking lifts in parents SUV, I am sure they all have phones and tablets and replace them regularly - as well as charge them daily of course.

They still have to live a normal life you know?Having a phone is important for that. Unless youve proof 'most' drive in SUVs daily then its meaningless conjecture

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So if a student cares about the planet they go to school in SUVs. I dont get this logic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Bdjsjsjs

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    And what about the many, many species of flora and fauna we depend on to survive?

Will they flourish at higher temperatures, or will we need to introduce thousands of new species from warmer climates? 2100 is only 80 years away. People living now will be around to see it.
    They tend to be common generalists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

When faced with a serious issue some people step up to the plate to find solutions and help.

Other pretend it's not happening and slag off the doers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Nothing wrong with feeling superior to assholes.

3108ea27cb8cd00422fb21974020b7bb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Is all climate change at all times a cause for crisis? What level of global temperature has been agreed on that should remain a constant?

Is the whole purpose of climate change mitigation to slow the rate of change or prevent change in global temperature entirely?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

20Cent wrote: »
    When faced with a serious issue some people step up to the plate to find solutions and help.

Other pretend it's not happening and slag off the doers.

hmm

i reckon, throughout history, right, 90% of suggested or demanded responses to crises either didnt work or didnt go into practice because they wouldnt work

and say 90% of reactions to said crises were probably as worthless as, well, 90% of opinion pretty much always is.

in other words, your binary of "my side is solving this like heroes!" and "your side is a horrible set of deniers and will be remembered as such" is a bit....lacking in perspective

the solution to the climate change issue will arrive from one source or another in time, likely not from any area arising from a gang of online or late late show amateur activists.

the sense of smug superiority you get from "at LEAST we are TRYING SOMETHING" or god help us worse yet your genuine belief that the performative lecturing bolloxology currently the trend is actually an achievement is, sad to say, not one iota better than the sense of smug superiority we get from rolling our eyes at ye.

soz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

gozunda wrote: »
    3108ea27cb8cd00422fb21974020b7bb.png
    They were leaving fridge doors open. I don't think that qualifies as an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

20Cent wrote: »
    Since climate deniers don't understand science or the scientific process the rational community have tried getting children to explain what is happening.

This isn't working either perhaps cartoons or puppet show next.

Cave paintings would be suitable for many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Some like doors on freezers are good but already present in many spots and are often the norm abroad. Maybe we need to go better and get double glazed doors

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Master of the Omniverse

The assembly of the easily brainwashed,anybody wonder why the government want to bring down the voting age?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

In fairness for better or worse there will be new modified flora and fauna just like always

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Fair cold November lads so far.
    I think they picked the wrong time of the year to have their climate week. There won't be many customers in to buy the idea of global warming whilst they are defrosting the windscreens.

topper75 wrote: »
    I think they picked the wrong time of the year to have their climate week. There won't be many customers in to buy the idea of global warming whilst they are defrosting the windscreens.

It's stupid comments like this that make me despair for people.

We're you expecting Bahamas weather instead?
    By the time we're getting 25 degrees on an average November morning humanity will be long dead.

By the time we're getting 25 degrees on an average November morning humanity will be long dead.
    Climate change is extremely complex. But warming will for all its problems do some good like boosting yields of many crops.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,521 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

'That'll be the worry of that over,' as me auld granny used to say. :D

Climate change is extremely complex. But warming will for all its problems do some good like boosting yields of many crops.

Where? Here in Ireland maybe.

It'll have the opposite effect in most of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

topper75 wrote: »

Luckily even most children can comprehend the idea that a gradual average increase in world temperatures does not mean it wont ever be cold anywhere on earth again

It's why it was now called 'climate change' to help people like you look beyond your back garden and recognise that even though a climatic issue may not be directly affecting you there can still be wider climatic issues ongoing affecting others around the world. Shocker

Where? Here in Ireland maybe.

It'll have the opposite effect in most of the world.
    Global yields of wheat and rice are modelled to increase, provided farmers adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

no it isnt

stop churning out kids is #1 by a huge factor
    Note though that this comes from a single paper with questionable assumptions that is debated by climate experts. The study is one by Wynes and Nicholas.

What the paper actually does is compute the average number of descendants a woman will have from a single child out to roughly 2650. The rough termination of 2650 comes from using another paper by Murtagh and Schlax as to when a woman can assume her descendants on one line will terminate on average (The Murtagh and Schlax study is itself debated). It then assumes each descendant produces as much carbon as people today, then weights each descendant by how many generations they are from you. This gives a carbon total across hundreds of years that are then divided into your lifetime.

The resultant number is far higher than what a child actually produces in a year. The method also produces over counting. For example your grandmother is allotted 25% of your carbon, your parents 50%, then you're allotted 100%, which results in overstating your carbon by 75%. (This is a more general problem with the method, unlike other savings it's a counterfactual).

Under their constant emissions assumption you get 58 tons per year. If you use a declining carbon production out to 2650 you get 3.5 tons per year. Increasing carbon emissions 79 tons.

In terms of what a child actually produces in a year is in the region of 4-6 tons, not 58 tons. Which is about the same as a couple taking two flights to the Mediterranean (with current estimates on radiative forcing included).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I suspect he knows that.

l-27499-behold-i-am-one-of-simple-mind.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

wakka12 wrote: »
    Luckily even most children can comprehend the idea that a gradual average increase in world temperatures does not mean it wont ever be cold anywhere on earth again

Coalzheimers is a terrible affliction.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Master of the Omniverse

Do you think its possible that any of the youth assembly are old enough to remember "climate gate"? Is it possible that it hasn't come up in their social media feeds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Faugheen wrote: »
    Boards isn’t reflective of society. It’s where people go to to vent their anger and frustration at everybody else but their own sad, ****e lives.

Peter Casey is the prime example. Boards polls had him winning the Presidential Election by a landslide and he’s gone on to be the representative for perennial losers, starting with with walloping he got in that Presidential election.

I'd be willing to bet that the vast amount of people on the Presidential thread backed Casey in the betting w/o Higgins. I know I did and got 16/1. I was absolutely delighted. And I wasn't the only one. Most people betting on him did it in the w/o Higgins market. No one thought he was going to win in a landslide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Do you think its possible that any of the youth assembly are old enough to remember "climate gate"? Is it possible that it hasn't come up in their social media feeds?

Scams hoaxes and right wing bs shouldn't be part of the curriculum anyway.

I thought it was ironic that RTE picked this November for their climate week campaign. Didn't you? Bad call to talk about global warming catastrophes when it is bitter out.

But you dispair away Padre, it won't affect me.

• Advertisement

wakka12 wrote: »

It's why it was now called 'climate change' to help people like you look beyond your back garden and recognise that even though a climatic issue may not be directly affecting you there can still be wider climatic issues ongoing affecting others around the world. Shocker

I'm not shocked. I'll just carry on. Warm in summer and cold in winter.
    Call me again if that changes - yeah?

Advertisement