Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury - December 1st

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

Wilder Points
    ...AFAIK it will still go ahead, but it will not be a title fight, will be shocked if he doesn't sign up to it, apparently just a delay in paper work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Wilder Points
    ...AFAIK it will still go ahead, but it will not be a title fight, will be shocked if he doesn't sign up to it, apparently just a delay in paper work...

If the WBC don't sanction the fight they probably won't allow Wilder to take it...possible mandatory defence instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Did Canelo have to sign up for this programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Draw
    megadodge wrote: »
    Morrison J wrote: »
    Wilder to me fights like a guy who doesn't have much faith in his chin. Very upright and tentative. I'd be surprised if he starts the fight aggressive tbh. Ortiz had him very hesitant through the use of feints and the left hand counter. Wilder hardly threw a jab in that fight he was so worried about what would come back. Had Ortiz sweeping the first four rounds personally until Wilder landed a straight shot in the 5th and things flipped.

I do think Wilder will take the risk that Wlad couldn't though and throw caution to the wind late knowing he's behind on the cards. Could be a classic finish to this I think especially if Fury is tired which he more than likely will be given its only his 3rd fight back.

This is a great fight. Big question marks over both for different reasons. Really looking forward to it.

Good post.

Mainly because you must have seen some of Wilder's fights! Some of the posts here have me thinking these fellas have actually never seen a full Wilder fight! He is ultra-cautious in the early rounds! Surely people can't possibly miss that?

The pace of his fights are usually slow, because he is afraid of getting hit and the opposition are usually more cautious than normal due to Wilder's power. Because of this his fights are usually dull affairs besides the finish. I fully expect this to be a dull repeat of the Fury / Klitchko fight with Fury's feints and jab completely bamboozling Wilder.

Hopefully, the judges will reflect what happens in the ring. It is an American in America versus a non-American....

These posts make sense to me. Wilder has looked very ordinary and questionably behind vs Washington and Spzilka. Fury is a diffeeent prospect. I can only see a fury win here but if it comes down to the judges it’s hard to know. In the video of the two of them wilder looked confused and mumbling. Fury composed and relishing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Draw
    If fury is back to his normal self he wins I think . However wilder won’t be as shy as wlad was and will let his hands go .

Still don’t know if this is a cash grab from Fury and his heart is no longer in it

We will see soon enough

Looking forward to it now though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,594 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wilder Points
    All those picking or wanting/hoping Fury wins seem to want to hope and if their way to it...

He is NOT the same boxer from 2015. This is a 2018 fight...

Draw
    Well he may not be but he's a fairly unknown quantity and there are lots of potential outcomes hence the ifs and maybes. No one can say what Fury will turn up or what his true motivation is so it's unpredictable. Wilder will do as Wilder does. I thought Fury did well in the psychological battles so far even if they were a bit staged looking early on especially but I would question whether or not even the 2015 Fury had enough power to really bother Wilder. That said, as some of the guys have commented - Wilder fights 3-4 rounds every fight looking petrified of being hit. If he hands over the initiative to Fury he could be in trouble

Draw
    Well he may not be but he's a fairly unknown quantity and there are lots of potential outcomes hence the ifs and maybes. No one can say what Fury will turn up or what his true motivation is so it's unpredictable. Wilder will do as Wilder does. I thought Fury did well in the psychological battles so far even if they were a bit staged looking early on especially but I would question whether or not even the 2015 Fury had enough power to really bother Wilder. That said, as some of the guys have commented - Wilder fights 3-4 rounds every fight looking petrified of being hit. If he hands over the initiative to Fury he could be in trouble

Wilder Points
    Not buying into this angle of Wilder being petrified of being hit as being of any real importance regarding this fight..

There may be tentative moments or rds, but so what...he probably still wins them...unless Fury takes the initiative and goes on the offensive to win and earn the instances/rounds..can he? I say no..

Draw
    I sway for this fight. On one hand I often think fury’s pitter patter might well open wilder up and enable him to win, maybe even by ko. Wilder seems to reckon his chance is ko but fury was spot on with his praise for wilder about six months ago. He said he was fast, agile, powerful and with a deceptively effective jab. A wilder vs stiverne 1 type fight wouldn’t surprise me. Mightn’t be wonderful viewing though

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Draw
    Interesting fight. Think Fury has taken this fight to out trump eddie hearn and get wilder first. Fury probably needs another two tune up fights but he thinks he's ready. He's taken off alot of weight very quick and that can weaken you. Ricky Hatton put weight on and off and it eventually caught up with him.

Wilder has a decent jab. Also immense power. He showed also he can take a punch. Can see this fight going into the later rounds and it probably depend on fury's stamina. If it's there i think he'll win on points if not can see Wilder late stoppage. Interesting fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭megadodge

Draw
    Interesting article with Mark Breland in this week's Boxing News. Breland trains Wilder and when asked about him he said "he has a very good jab when he uses it" and "but sometimes the right hand is sloppy. I try to tell him to throw it straight, not overhand. That way, it will get there quicker." Hardly a ringing endorsement!

If Wilder's own trainer sounds frustrated, it's because I've no doubt he's told Wilder certain things a thousand times over and Wilder doesn't do them in a fight. Why? Because he has no composure. He's a panicker! And it's so obvious, I can't believe so few people ever mention it.

When he faces Fury, he's facing a fella who absolutely does NOT fear him and that can really have an affect on someone so weak mentally.

Wilder is superbly conditioned, so in all likelihood it will be a long boring fight, with Fury well ahead on points going into the late rounds. Then, maybe and that's a BIG maybe, Wilder will open up knowing he needs a KO. It could make for an interesting end to the fight, but I have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭megadodge

Draw
    There's another thing too.

I was at Fury's last fight. We had crap seats, but overall I was quite impressed with Fury's stamina and movement. He threw an awful lot of punches for the entire 10 rounds and never looked remotely tired. Wilder's fights are mostly fought at a slow pace as he spends so much time trying to keep out of range and most opponents are worried about over-pressurising him for fear of walking into a big one.

Those things combined make me not particularly bothered about Fury's stamina. It's his clowning around that I'd be more worried about. If he's all business he'll dominate behind his excellent jab and win clearly. However, if he acts the eejet, he just might leave himself open that fraction too long....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Just YouTubed it.
    Looks real. If it is he's a knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

Wilder Points
    Panthro wrote: »
    Just YouTubed it.
    Looks real. If it is he's a knob.
    ...If it's true he didn't realise there was a person in it, I worry about his level of IQ...I'm thinking it's staged, but if true could there be a case to sue, technically it's assault with deadly weapon considering his profession...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Draw
    ...If it's true he didn't realise there was a person in it, I worry about his level of IQ...I'm thinking it's staged, but if true could there be a case to sue, technically it's assault with deadly weapon considering his profession...

The studio guys were telling him to hit it so technically it’s their fault. I do question his intelligence though ( but that’s a different story altogether).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Draw

The studio guys were telling him to hit it so technically it’s their fault. I do question  his intelligence though ( but that’s a different story altogether).
    There is zero chance that the story is real, There would be a law suit straight away and pictures of the guy in hospital and apologise from Wilder , Its hype that Wilder needs to become man stream ,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

ESPN must have a liability. If I came into work and my employer said, We're going to let a world heavyweight champion punch you in the face for a laugh, I would have some concerns.

Wilder Points
    There is zero chance that the story is real, There would be a law suit straight away and pictures of the guy in hospital and apologise from Wilder , Its hype that Wilder needs to become man stream ,

Do you think it wasn't Deontay in the video?

Draw
    walshb wrote: »

Do you think it wasn't Deontay in the video?
    What ? of course it was Wilder,but don't believe for one second he broke your mans jaw,

• Advertisement

Wilder Points
    What ? of course it was Wilder,but don't believe for one second he broke your mans jaw,

Ok, but maybe he did some damage, and maybe doing what he did was wrong?

I wasn't sure what you meant.....

Would this only be a story IF the mascot suffered a broken jaw?

From what I saw it was a pretty reckless and ill advised "stunt."

Draw
    walshb wrote: »

Ok, but maybe he did some damage, and maybe doing what he did was wrong?

I wasn't sure what you meant.....

Would this only be a story IF the mascot suffered a broken jaw?

From what I saw it was a pretty reckless and ill advised "stunt."
    All I'm saying is it was a total set up, the guy obvious knew it was going to happen before hand and Wilder was probably told how tall he was and punched over his head height, remember how tall Wilder is himself,
    If he truly hit the guy on just the word of the presenter and broke his jaw there would be a lawsuit and it would be all over the news,
    Its was a cheap publicity stunt that's all I'm saying,

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Kooto1982

Biggest confusion!! Both are my fav.

Draw
    Just over a month to go now fella's ,
    Really looking forward to this fight, fingers crossed there is no late injuries,
    Still finding this impossible to call, but with a gun to my head id' slightly favour a Wilder KO ,
    I would like to see Fury win just to see him v AJ next
    Would be a massive massive fight , the build up would be great,

Draw
    Made my final decision

Fury is going to school him for a lobisided points win

Wilder Points
    Made my final decision

Fury is going to school him for a lobisided points win

Were you unsure for a while?

If so it's some pick......not just happy with a points win....:pac:

Draw
    I was unsure

But i watched his fight with Ortiz again last night . He really is so limited. A hail mary is what he'll be looking for.

I must of been half asleep watching it the 1st time around.

Wilder Points
    I was unsure

But i watched his fight with Ortiz again last night . He really is so limited. A hail mary is what he'll be looking for.

I must of been half asleep watching it the 1st time around.

Personally if Fury wins on points I can't see it being clear or easy. Wilder is big and rangy and awkward and can box. Add in that Fury will most likely need to box very cautiously and carefully and with defense in mind, all this likely meaning his own offense will suffer.

If Fury wins on points expect it to be very ugly, awkward and difficult to score....

Draw
    Very possible its the Wlad fight all over again, which Fury won ugly but clearly,
    But I do think if its going that way Wilder will lose his cool and could get dropped,

Again I think Wilder KO is the highest percent chance of being the outcome,

• Advertisement

Wilder Points
    Very possible its the Wlad fight all over again, which Fury won ugly but clearly,
    But I do think if its going that way Wilder will lose his cool and could get dropped,

Again I think Wilder KO is the highest percent chance of being the outcome,

Very much doubt it will be like the Wald fight...

The Wlad fight win was not clear....argument could be made for a heap of rds in that fight for either man.

Advertisement