Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phibsborough, Dublin 7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

Zipppy wrote: »
    Would the Old Bank make a great restaurant?
    and Bushes pub should extend out to canal and open an outside area facing canal...would be a winner.

That small site beside them is being sold. Residential planning permission I think, so there will be apartments there. It would be nice to have a pub like the Barge on the northside for the odd sunny day but I can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

Would the Old Bank make a great restaurant?

I've thought about that on a number of occasions. The unit opposite (previously a betting shop) is now vacant as well. I think with the redevelopment of Dalymount and the shopping centre in the next few years we'll see an improvement in the amenities at Phibs crossroads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

SB_Part2 wrote:
    There's an Aldi going behind the Halfway House but that's closer to blanch than D7.

There's pp in for a lidl in the site behind Hanlons pub and the hardware place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

sweetie wrote: »
    There's pp in for a lidl in the site behind Hanlons pub and the hardware place.
    I heard about this about 5 years ago but never saw the pp. Has it actually got it?

Edit: http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=2965/15&backURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=2966496%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E%20%3E%20%3Ca%20href=%27wphappsearchres.displayResultsURL?ResultID=3554810%26StartIndex=1%26SortOrder=APNID:DESC%26DispResultsAs=WPHAPPSEARCHRES%26BackURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=2966496%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E%27%3ESearch%20Results%3C/a%3E
    Permission for development at 12-32 Old Cabra Road and 8-16 Annamoe Road, Dublin 7 (Lands comprising PH Ross Builders Merchants and Home Improvement Centre and site to rear of 1-7 Annamore Road, Known as 1A Annamoe Road) (0.837ha). The development will consist of a mixed use development comprising the following elements: (1) A supermarket incorporating ancillary bakery and off-licence area of 1251sq.m (net retail sales area) and associated accommodation within a building of 2555sq.m gross floor area. The supermarket is located over a surface level undercroft car park containing 81no. car parking spaces and connection from the car park to the retail above is contained within a circulation area (via travelators, lift and stair cores). The proposed building is a three storey equivalent structure with a maximum height of 9.8 metres. The supermarket includes an external delivery/service area and dock leveller; (2) A cafe (95sq.m) fronting onto the Old Cabra Road; (3) Retail (bathroom/tile) showroom and DIY/Hardward Store (900sq.m) with 7no. car parking spaces and dedicated external delivery area; (4) 4no. 3 bed terraced houses and ancillary accommodation with a single access off Annamoe Road with 6 no. car parking spaces. Vehicular access to the retail/commercial elements is via the Old Cabra Road and Annamoe Road. Permission is also sought for boundary treatments, hard and soft landscaping, signage and all associated site and development works. The proposed development involves demolition of all existing buildings (2185sq.m) fronting onto the Old Cabra Road and the warehouse type structures to the rear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Anyone know what's going into the old memorial works at harts corner?
    Site being cleared at moment..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Was in Two Boys at the weekend. A cool little spot. Brunch menu was very good, and the coffee was excellent. Good to have a place like that in Phibs.

I agree its good to have places like that in Phibsboro, though I was in there was lunch and whatever I had cost 13 euro and was mostly tasteless (save the chorizo). I see a lot of places opening up that seem to be in the Brother Hubbard cafe vein, but for those prices you need to be knocking the food out of the park, not just having 3FE coffee and exposed ceilings.

But anyways, as someone said above it's looking up for the area with Back Page, Bang Bang, whatever the Porterhouse North is these days.....just knock the Tesco please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

All the old bedsits in Cabra park are being (slowly) knocked together into proper flats to comply with government regulations. Proper order too,ive been in some poxy kips down there over the years...

100% agree. They are an embarrassment to the entire place. The fact that the conditions of at least one of those houses led to its owner being discussed in a Cabinet meeting a few years ago and consequently dismissed from An Garda Síochána is testimony to why the state has to come down on all these places across Ireland regardless of the (state-created) housing shortage.

It's further away but I always go to the one in Finglas. The one in Phibsboro is rubbish.

It is rubbish, especially the fruit and veg section which is not exactly fresh, and the bread section is tiny. The staff are lovely, though, and the newish Tesco at Cabra Cross is really nice. I'd prefer an awful Tesco next to me than an amazing Super Valu, who are consistently the price gougers to beat all gougers of the Irish retail industry (Dublin airport shops and Donnybrook Fair excepted)

• Advertisement

gaiscioch wrote: »
    100% agree. They are an embarrassment to the entire place. The fact that the conditions of at least one of those houses led to its owner being discussed in a Cabinet meeting a few years ago and consequently dismissed from An Garda Síochána is testimony to why the state has to come down on all these places across Ireland regardless of the (state-created) housing shortage.

OMG. I viewed one of his houses in Cabra Park. There was no pictures on the ad and when I turned up I couldn't get out of there quick enough. The whole place smelled like a chip pan.

I have a few images of the road surface on connaught street (near Liam Whelan bridge) which I intend sending on to local public reps in the hope of having section resurfaced by DCC...if I post up here would anyone also mail on in support?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

I have a few images of the road surface on connaught street (near Liam Whelan bridge) which I intend sending on to local public reps in the hope of having section resurfaced by DCC...if I post up here would anyone also mail on in support?

Have you tried the fixmystreet site? You might have more luck. Posted a couple of potholes on Leinster St a few weeks back and they were filled, not properly repaired, but better than what was there.

petejmk wrote:
    Have you tried the fixmystreet site? You might have more luck. Posted a couple of potholes on Leinster St a few weeks back and they were filled, not properly repaired, but better than what was there.

Ha I put them on fix your street too :)
    This is a big resurfacing job so I reckon public reps needed...

Anyone know whats happening with .... Botanic House? Subway? Old Smurfit land?

Interesting read:

Phibsborough in Dublin 7 has been named as Ireland's property hotspot. (10 September 2016)

I agree the fundamentals - near Grangegorman's new campus, Botanic Gardens, Croker, the canal, city centre and Phoenix Park - are excellent, but that shopping centre and the fly-by-night shops, and big ugly buildings (like this and this and this) are recurrently undermining the place. Shop fronts generally in this city are a law unto themselves, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

If that Smurfit site is turned into housing, the traffic will be apocalyptic.

Essentially one lane, notwithstanding the bus lane, townwards.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hardly ground breaking, but I was going by Subway recently and they had a sign up saying they'll be opening again soon under new management.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote:
    Hardly ground breaking, but I was going by Subway recently and they had a sign up saying they'll be opening again soon under new management.

That's there ages....wouldn't say it's happening anymore

Birneybau wrote: »

I live very close to that. No matter what they do to it I'm terrified of the traffic consequences.

Birneybau wrote: »

I live very close to that. No matter what they do to it I'm terrified of the traffic consequences.

Used to travel it in the mornings, depending on the time...*shudder*

• Advertisement

Phibsboro now a property hotspot

Was a bad link there....fixed now

Apparently there is planning going in for the fruit market site in Smithfield, lot of potential there.

sweetie wrote: »
    Apparently there is planning going in for the fruit market site in Smithfield, lot of potential there.

Yes DCC are to develop some of it it as an 'English' style market like in Cork ..not sure when this is starting though..

Just thinking about pros and cons regards Phibsboro....

Pros
    - Walking distance to city centre (walk to work should you work in city centre :) )
    - Near Croke park, Botanic gardens, Mater Hosp (should you become Ill), Glasnevin cemetery
    - Tesco EddieRockets McDs Burdocks Boots OffLicence all on your doorstep
    - McGowans to find tha tsome one special (even if just for the night ;) )
    - Hedigans Gravediggers BackPage
    - Garda Station at Mountjoy
    - Multiple Bus routes (9, 140, 4, 83, 46a, 122, 40 etc)
    - LUAS due next year
    - Fab new coffee shops (2Boys Brew, Bang Bang) - more needed
    - Grangegorman DIT will be a short walk away
    - Dalymount park just bought by DCC and to be redeveloped into excellent stadium
    - Royal Canal .. walkway cycleway swans water polo ..
    - 2 gyms
    - 3 banks
    - 2 bakeries
    - Phizzfest very active community group
    - pitch and putt course
    - walk to Phoenix park
    - St Bernard Park (Shandon) Canal park, the canal basic, Great western park, community gardens
    - Stoneybatter is a short walk away
    - Smithfield square is nearby
    - Lighthouse cinema is nearby

CONS
    - not enough cafes / coffee shops
    - littering
    - traffic
    - some think shopping centre is ugly...due to be redeveloped at some stage
    - lots of rentals .. some properties are not maintained property

What did I miss?

I think that's a good fair post. The litter can be horrific in some places which really breaks my heart and I there are some fairly ugly buildings around, not limited to the shopping centre.

I ate in Two Boys Brew last weekend and the food was really great and the place was packed which is nice to see.

I ate in Two Boys Brew last weekend and the food was really great and the place was packed which is nice to see.

Gets pretty jammed at weekends...queues and waiting lists....just shows lots more of this needed in area...demand is there!
    just wait till 17000 students are lurking about seeking their coffee fix :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭petejmk

Good summary alright. I like how Glasnevin Cemetery is after the Mater on the list just in case the Mater doesn't work out!

Agree on the litter. Shocking at times. Would love to see that little row of units by Camille sorted out. It's a dump as it is.

What did I miss?

Footpath cyclists.

Birneybau wrote:
    Footpath cyclists.

reminds me....need dublin bikes extended...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭dreoilin

Any streets with free parking near the basin?

Moved in a couple days ago, had expected to have a permit by now but there's delays

• Advertisement

dreoilin wrote:
    Any streets with free parking near the basin?

All Shandon roads still free...10 mins walk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭budhabob

Is the old smurfit land the large derelict site kind of opposite the Sunnybank? Was wondering when something would happen there.

(New enough to the area so still finding my way).

budhabob wrote:
    Is the old smurfit land the large derelict site kind of opposite the Sunnybank? Was wondering when something would happen there.

There's mention of offices residential park etc there in LAP but nothing seems to be happening...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

There's mention of offices residential park etc there in LAP but nothing seems to be happening...

Planning was originally rejected in 2014 but looks like a modified plan was approved back in January

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Just thinking about pros and cons regards Phibsboro....

What did I miss?

A decent a Supermarket is the biggest con re Phisboro. That Tesco is easily the worst one in the city by a mile. If you go for a shop in any other Supermarket in the city it is very rare that you dont get everything you need in a shop ie everything is in stock. I have gone to the that Tesco countless times to find 3/4 items out of 10 I need to buy are out of stock.

Even the Tesco Off License makes zero sense. It only sells alcohol. If you buy a spirit you have to go to the other Tesco to buy mixer, as the Off License doesnt stock soft drinks/mixers. It is only Off License I know in the City that doesnt have a single fridge in it ie you can only buy warm beer and wine there

newacc2015 wrote: »
    A decent a Supermarket is the biggest con re Phisboro. That Tesco is easily the worst one in the city by a mile. If you go for a shop in any other Supermarket in the city it is very rare that you dont get everything you need in a shop ie everything is in stock. I have gone to the that Tesco countless times to find 3/4 items out of 10 I need to buy are out of stock.

Even the Tesco Off License makes zero sense. It only sells alcohol. If you buy a spirit you have to go to the other Tesco to buy mixer, as the Off License doesnt stock soft drinks/mixers. It is only Off License I know in the City that doesnt have a single fridge in it ie you can only buy warm beer and wine there

All very true....lots of food out of date there too..
    Its a 2 min walk from my house so, unfortunately, I end up there a lot :(

Re the off licence I did hear that it might be closed with an expanded space at back of supermarket used instead...so less space for food no doubt...time will tell..

Totally agree on the Tesco, is rubbish, but it's not far too the one in Finglas and there's also a Lidl down beyond the cemetery so I tend to use those instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is only Off License I know in the City that doesnt have a single fridge in it ie you can only buy warm beer and wine there

Most Tesco branches have possibly a white wine fridge and a single beer fridge, containing usually the dearest options to buy Guinness, Heineken and little else. Having no fridges is only a small step down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

If you want a good offie just walk 5 minutes up to road to Sweeneys at Harts Corner

• Advertisement

matrim wrote: »
    If you want a good offie just walk 5 minutes up to road to Sweeneys at Harts Corner

One of the best on the northside imo

matrim wrote: »

Great wine selection.........

.....feck now I want wine :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

The Drumcondra Tesco is worse. Phibsboro Tesco is the "good" Tesco that I do a weekly shop in, cos it's got much more than Drumcondra.

cactusgal wrote: »
    The Drumcondra Tesco is worse. Phibsboro Tesco is the "good" Tesco that I do a weekly shop in, cos it's got much more than Drumcondra.

The Drumcondra Tesco isn't a "proper" Tesco though, it's a "Tesco Metro", so is expected to stock less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭trellheim

Tesco up on the Navan Rd is much better

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

What did I miss?

Con:

Victorian and Georgian buildings with visible wires all around the outside. Makes an eyesore out of otherwise beautiful buildings.

• Advertisement

I see Burdocks closed up today .. signs gone..inside ripped out..is it gone?

I see Burdocks closed up today .. signs gone..inside ripped out..is it gone?

Ah no way! :(

Nothing ever really lasts in that location. I remember years ago with it was Kentucky Fried Chicken. Not to be confused with KFC!

SB_Part2 wrote:
    Nothing ever really lasts in that location. I remember years ago with it was Kentucky Fried Chicken. Not to be confused with KFC!

Has a Star*ucks written all over it so!

Genuinely devastated to see Burdocks go :( Often get a pre-game chipper there before heading into Dalymount.

I would have thought they were doing decent business?

GLaDOS wrote:
    I would have thought they were doing decent business?

GLaDOS wrote:
    Genuinely devastated to see Burdocks go Often get a pre-game chipper there before heading into Dalymount.

perhaps it's just renovations?

• Advertisement
Advertisement