Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Exactly, but I bet you she’s on at least €50-€60k a year (if not more)

She was sort of the 'up and comer' a few years back-even getting gigs on Nationwide.

But she's married, and had a kid a few years back. I think she possibly chose to cut her hours after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Laois_Man wrote: »
    The wage bill is only part of a myrid of ways RTE waste money!

I can never understand how/why RTE need a Washington correspondent who has access to nobody, a London correspondent who has access to nobody (and when something important, like yesterday is happening, they still send over the main Six-One anchor to do the gig anyway) and a Brussels correspondent who has access to nobody - likewise!

Then there's the Irish regional correspondents who...well....there's is nobody to have access to.

Then you have their education correspondent, religious affairs correspondent, science and technology correspondent and 100 more of them who get something useful to report on once a month!

Then there was all this sh!te today about the 1918 General Election. Even the weather forecast tonight had the weather of 14/12/1918 on it. Does ANYONE seriously give the slightest feck?? :(

Yesterday we had Catriona McFadden "In London" interviewing other corespondants in London with a green screen, when she could easily have done it from the Dublin studio. How much did that cost@

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Kerry_2008

I think in fairness Tony Connelly has been well worth whatever he is getting paid as Europe Correspondent. His Brexit coverage has been top class. Not just on the news but, his articles on the RTE website and the podcasts. He has broken numerous brexit stories.

Sometimes correspondents need to be in place to build up a relationship with sources etc a d contacts. Tommy Gorman is another good example in the north.

The US correspondent just relays already publicly available info. Fine to send someone over to cover the us presidential election or taoiseach visit. Same for the london correspondent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Kerry_2008 wrote: »
    I think in fairness Tony Connelly has been well worth whatever he is getting paid as Europe Correspondent. His Brexit coverage has been top class. Not just on the news but, his articles on the RTE website and the podcasts. He has broken numerous brexit stories.

Sometimes correspondents need to be in place to build up a relationship with sources etc a d contacts. Tommy Gorman is another good example in the north.

The US correspondent just relays already publicly available info. Fine to send someone over to cover the us presidential election or taoiseach visit. Same for the london correspondent.

Yes Tony Connolly is excellent and I think his proper title is European Editor, which is a step above Correspondent but I am open to correction on that.

Samantha Libreri I think is x Noostalk as she says herself and does the odd stint on MI.Hopefully these dudes like Joe Little. Religious Correct. And John Kilraine the Dublin Corr and xTd George Lee do a lot of work behind the scenes as their airtime would not seem to justify the hefty wedges the undoubtedly get?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,250 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »

Wasting your time Fritzer, nobody out there will rock the boat and overturn the cozy incestious overpaid bunch of churns in Montrose.

Most industries have moved on, this lot stay nicely slotted into the 1970s when concerns like Aer Lingus charged an arm and a leg for a 60m flight and the staff were treated like royalty.

In fairness to them they have moved with the times, when will RTÉ make the move which must be made.

Those salaries are obscene, and there is no, repeat, no , justification for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Carlingford Locked

Why don't people just not pay their licence? I would rather never watch TV again that contribute to Tubridy's wages. It's bizarre, people went nuts over water charges, and would go nuts if something like a carbon tax was introduced, but we don't mind paying what is a fairly hefty tax, 12.50 a month or something, to pay for lavish salaries for a bunch of people who got jobs through who they knew.
    This is a pointless discussion, just don't pay it, or pay it and shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Kerry_2008 wrote: »

Yes Tony Connolly is good. So is Marian Finucane but it doesn’t mean their employment is justified. 4 hours on air per week for €300,617 versus 12 and a half hours on air for Mary Wilson at €185,679?

There’s no justification!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Why don't people just not pay their licence? I would rather never watch TV again that contribute to Tubridy's wages. It's bizarre, people went nuts over water charges, and would go nuts if something like a carbon tax was introduced, but we don't mind paying what is a fairly hefty tax, 12.50 a month or something, to pay for lavish salaries for a bunch of people who got jobs through who they knew.

It ain't that simple.
    I despise RTE because of the way they try to force their European-based liberal dogma down the throats of Irish people. Their news reports and programs are weighted towards the left/extreme left of centre, and their pundits, reporters, newscasters do not understand the concept of impartial reporting. Hint: there are usually two sides to every story, so stop just reporting one side e.g. the Margaret Cash story, anything relating to Travelers, homelessness, forever homes, economic migration or as RTE wants us to call it now: "climate-change migration", etc.

But the reason why I despise them the most is because of the way they despise workers and contributors in this country. I put it down to their lofty attitude of being "above us" and to the fact we did not bow down and accept their demand for a license fee increase. They will continue to seek retribution on us because of that. Anything that will cause us pain e.g. pushing for climate taxes, more social housing spending, increased payments for those who can but do not want to work etc., RTE will ply the pressure on politicians to hurt the working/contributing class as much as possible.

What was the question again?
    Oh yeah, if I want to watch satellite TV or Netflix on my big screen television, then RTE demands that I pay the €160 "Television Tax".
    What I would like to see happen is a march on Montrose/Donnybrook by tens of thousands of people who are fed up with the monstrous salaries that their "talent" are paid, the piss-poor quality of programming, and totally biased reporting of news events.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Because unfortunately if we get caught, there is a high chance we’d end up in jail while junkies and people on their 999th conviction end up getting a slap on the wrist.
    Of all the taxes we pay, it kills me to pay this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Have ye also noticed the intense amount of advertising about the orchestras? RTE are really pushing hard to keep them under their wing, on State salaries, instead of shunting them out into the commercial world.

quite possibly because they are likely to niche to be viable for the commercial world, but culturally signifficant enough to justify remaining as is
    i agree but cap it at 50k . 50 k is still a very good wage for what they do.
    some of them are part timers at best
    use it as a spring board for young irish tallent. any really good ones will leave to comercial stations.

where they probably won't be able to do much because commercial stations have to play it safe, and will eventually be back at rte on a lot more then 50 k because they are good enough to command high audiences and bring in the advertising and rte will need to go back to paying more because the 50k experiment likely didn't work in attracting good broadcasters.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Kivaro wrote: »
    It ain't that simple.
    I despise RTE because of the way they try to force their European-based liberal dogma down the throats of Irish people. Their news reports and programs are weighted towards the left/extreme left of centre, and their pundits, reporters, newscasters do not understand the concept of impartial reporting. Hint: there are usually two sides to every story, so stop just reporting one side e.g. the Margaret Cash story, anything relating to Travelers, homelessness, forever homes, economic migration or as RTE wants us to call it now: "climate-change migration", etc.

But the reason why I despise them the most is because of the way they despise workers and contributors in this country. I put it down to their lofty attitude of being "above us" and to the fact we did not bow down and accept their demand for a license fee increase. They will continue to seek retribution on us because of that. Anything that will cause us pain e.g. pushing for climate taxes, more social housing spending, increased payments for those who can but do not want to work etc., RTE will ply the pressure on politicians to hurt the working/contributing class as much as possible.

What was the question again?
    Oh yeah, if I want to watch satellite TV or Netflix on my big screen television, then RTE demands that I pay the €160 "Television Tax".
    What I would like to see happen is a march on Montrose/Donnybrook by tens of thousands of people who are fed up with the monstrous salaries that their "talent" are paid, the piss-poor quality of programming, and totally biased reporting of news events.

no doubt people from the opposite view to you would accuse rte of being byassed toards your views. the reality is many on both sides of the spectrum feel their view isn't getting coverage and that media is byassed toards the opposite view. this isn't a unique allegation toards rte.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

usually people would ring Joe Duffy to highlight such a public outrage but somehow I don't see Joe allowing people to air this particular grievance.

Amberjack wrote: »
    Because unfortunately if we get caught, there is a high chance we’d end up in jail while junkies and people on their 999th conviction end up getting a slap on the wrist.
    Of all the taxes we pay, it kills me to pay this one

No. If we all agreed to not pay it, or a sizeable group, they aren't going to prosecute or even try to prosecute all. We just don't have the resources for that. Don't pay it, please, it sickens me so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Or more likely, just worked less in those years. Each as contractors would be on a fee per hour/per show. Working less does not equal a cut.

There is no way Daragh Maloney worked less in the year of Euro 2016 and Rio 2016 than he did in 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Yes Tony Connolly is good. So is Marian Finucane but it doesn’t mean their employment is justified. 4 hours on air per week for €300,617 versus 12 and a half hours on air for Mary Wilson at €185,679?

There’s no justification!

Do you think Premier League footballers get paid too much?

I think if we did make a big protest by not paying (and I think you're mad/stupid if you do pay it) they'd somehow get Revenue to collect it on their behalf. Sooner or later they'll want everyone with a phone/laptop to have a TV Licence too. They have always been in league with the Government and they'll do whatever it takes to keep the Montrose lifestyle going. I don't know how any of you even watch the channel, it's sickening, and apart from the odd current affairs program (which TV3 seem to do perfectly fine anyway), it's just repeated imports of UK/US TV, an Amy Huberman show every year or two, the odd terrible drama with wooden actors, and lots of ads. At least the BBC can justify their licence fee with unrivalled world class programming like Blue Planet, The Bodyguard etc and some excellent radio stations.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I think that premier league footballers get paid far too much but it doesn’t bother me because I don’t pay for their salary. Unfortunately I am forced to contribute to the salaries of the vastly overpaid RTE presenters so I do have an issue with that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

RTÉ 'stars' are getting paid premier league rates, yet are at best 3rd/4th division level.

Also, The premier league probably has a 1 billion plus audience share (certainly for the big games anyway), Whereas the most watched shows on RTÉ would do well to see viewing figures of 800,000 - 900,000.

RTÉ 'stars' are getting paid premier league rates, yet are at best 3rd/4th division level.

Also, The premier league probably has a 1 billion plus audience share (certainly for the big games anyway), Whereas the most watched shows on RTÉ would do well to see viewing figures of 800,000 - 900,000.

Andy if you forgive me for disagreeing with your synopsis there, it’s not really audience, or quality,to an extent,that determines the rate of remuneration.

It’s the commercial value of the subject which is most important.

Radio and TV in Ireland is a very small commercial entity.

What does that mean?

It means that there are only a few players in the market and RTE are by far the dominant player, so the question must be asked why do RTÉ pay their top ten such outlandish wedges when they,by and large have nowhere to go.

I think it would be agreed that the conditions and exposure and career path on RTE would be the acme of choice for those in that industry.

There wouldn’t be a ‘market’for them in other countries so why the fork pay them a kings ransom.

Unlike premier league players who would have a worldwide market and stand or fall of their performances and saleability.

Relativity is the all important criterium in Rte, like, if the top dog gets xxxx the next dog in line must get xxx.
    All goes back to the Gaybo Mike Murphy days when that impresario dude was in charge.
    Crazy bat schidt stuff.

Announce a 25% cut and other than the unions going ape nothing would happen.

Terrible stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

RTE are constantly showing ads about the TV licence including ones boasting of things they do that could not be done without the licence. First off, it is not a licence, it is a tax but a tax to RTE not the government. Second, it is in general very poor value for money. Thirdly, the people have little say or involvement in RTE: RTE decides who is on and who is not. 95% of the time, it is all woeful reality shows that are cheap to make. Its presenters earned 100s of 1000s and they act like a corrupt dictatorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

No comparison. The clubs make money & can spend it how they like.

RTE spend our money

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Skyfloater

"It means that there are only a few players in the market and RTE are by far the dominant player, so the question must be asked why do RTÉ pay their top ten such outlandish wedges when they,by and large have nowhere to go."

This is it in a nutshell.

Good news people.
    RTE Investigates is doing more than an hour tonight examining the accommodation crisis for Travellers. RTE classifies them not only as an ethnic group but as a "distinct ethnic group". As opposed to what other type of ethic group, I wonder?

A few questions:
    1. When did RTE change it from a homeless crisis to an accommodation crisis?
    2. Does RTE use the phrase accommodation crisis only if it relates to Travellers?
    3. How many Travellers have TV licenses?
    I believe that the Irish State and citizens have been very accommodating to Travellers for many years, but I'm sure RTE will portray them as victims and the rest of us should be ashamed of ourselves ....... just for being alive I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Good news people.
    RTE Investigates is doing more than an hour tonight examining the accommodation crisis for Travellers. RTE classifies them not only as an ethnic group but as a "distinct ethnic group". As opposed to what other type of ethic group, I wonder?

A few questions:
    2. Does RTE use the phrase accommodation crisis only if it relates to Travellers?
    I believe that the Irish State and citizens have been very accommodating to Travellers for many years, but I'm sure RTE will portray them as victims and the rest of us should be ashamed of ourselves ....... just for being alive I guess.

I am glad they are now calling it an "accomodation crisis" because thats what it is, as if you need to be "homeless" for it to be f**cking you! Also boo hoo with the travellers, if they think you are owe them anything or have an ounce of sympathy for them... L!O!L!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I am glad they are now calling it an "accomodation crisis" because thats what it is, as if you need to be "homeless" for it to be f**cking you! Also boo hoo with the travellers, if they think you are owe them anything or have an ounce of sympathy for them... L!O!L!

I presume it was a fair and balanced report tonight on the Traveller accommodation crisis? I mean, it had to, because it's in RTE's charter.

No way could I watch RTE doing a "show" like that because the television would be thrown out the window in dismay, and I'd have nothing to watch Netflix on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I presume it was a fair and balanced report tonight on the Traveller accommodation crisis? I mean, it had to, because it's in RTE's charter.

No way could I watch RTE doing a "show" like that because the television would be thrown out the window in dismay, and I've have nothing to watch Netflix on.

It was a farce.

It was a farce.

Does not surprise me one bit.

RTE are a national disgrace, and they are doing the law-abiding, contributing members of Irish society a destructive disservice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

It was a farce.

Talk about handpicked travellers for the program. The young mother on her 7th sprog..give me a break...

And as for rte ringing a landlord to show racism against housing travellers..?? What landlord in their right mind would rent their house to travellers..??? Pathetic one sided rubbish from rte as usual

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Good news people.

A few questions:

RTÉ fires up that s**t because it trying to do a bit of PR for the government after the president election

It shows how out of touch the government is with the voters in countryside so expect this sort of c**p till the election to try swing back the vote

Their news is woeful, my dad was watching it at weekend, they had a panel of “expert” talking about brexit and what a shambles it is and then how great FG/FF are to not start an election, was actually cringeworthy

2FM is just a joke.....group of 30-50 year olds trying to act like 18 year old to get a few listeners.....

Only way is to revolt against it, get some party to say they will cut the arse out of it on next election and vote them in.....otherwise the millions will be continued to be wasted

Advertisement