Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

+1 on this.

Another person who has assumed a position not on merit, but at least partially because of her sex. Her performance in her role has been appalling and I'd posit were she a male she'd have been removed from the cabinet.

Anyone she backs should be sacked immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

I can only assume she's using her connections in the media to further her side of the story.

I saw an article in the Independent today which basically said her colleagues were shocked that she didn't get to continue in the role. So what?? Very very transparent agenda peddling.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Anyone she backs should be sacked immediately

In case anyone forgot or missed this......
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2017/01/03/put-in-something-about-jobs-enterprise-and-innovation/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭prunudo

I can only assume she's using her connections in the media to further her side of the story.

I saw an article in the Independent today which basically said her colleagues were shocked that she didn't get to continue in the role. So what?? Very very transparent agenda peddling.

The last few days there has been articles in the indo about this. Don't understand why its getting the media attention. She had a 5yr contract and it wasn't renewed, happens every day of the week in every other industry.
    Seems like somebody is trying to stoke the fire and drum up some sort of support for what is essentially a non story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

For your entertainment tonight, Claire Byrne will be highlighting "Homelessness at Christmas".
    That's after Tubridy effort to embarrass Varadkar about homelessness on Saturday night.
    And of course, the Six One news does a "piece" on homelessness on almost a daily basis.

Undoubtedly, there are hundreds of actual homeless people on Irish streets due to whatever personal reasons. They should get our support, but many times they reject it.
    However, these other "thousands" of homeless that RTE are highlighting are not homeless. They have roofs over their heads and are well looked after by the State. The fact that they do not have free forever homes does not make them homeless. We have a housing crisis, not a homeless crisis. This is exasperated by the economic migrants showing up at our shores, mainly in Dublin, and declaring themselves and their families homeless.

If you believe the hysteria of RTE, then Ireland has Calcutta-level homelessness with Irish children living in complete desolation, barefoot and in rags, and one bowl of gruel away from death. This Dicken's-era portrait of Irish homelessness is just another way for RTE to dwell on misery, or I should say sell misery to the Irish people.

And the irony of it all. With their massively overly-paid presenters and luxurious south Dublin address, you never hear about these 6-figure RTE stars donating cash to homeless organisations or volunteering space in Montrose for a homeless shelter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

In one of their many homeless pieces, the Six-one were talking about a study done on "rough sleepers" in Dublin, rough sleepers as in actually homeless people.

They said there are currently 156 rough sleepers in Dublin, there's your actual homeless figure. Not 10,000. 156.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

In one of their many homeless pieces, the Six-one were talking about a study done on "rough sleepers" in Dublin, rough sleepers as in actually homeless people.

They said there are currently 156 rough sleepers in Dublin, there's your actual homeless figure. Not 10,000. 156.

Doesnt have the desperation ring to it tho for headlines, so many families homeless living in accommodation but homeless and walking the streets sounds better (Margaret Cash has the monopoly on this tho)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Claire Byrne was comical tonight.

Threw in a thing about 'travellers donating food'-and sure it's easy to have it when you don't pay taxes. (gotta undo that Peter Casey damage)

They then bring in a bit about 'the Christmas dinner is problematic'...and I'm sitting there like 'Oh God, does this mean we'll have Eoghan's sister, Roe McDermott on the tv?'...sure enough, there she is...

It's the f****** Christmas Dinner!!! Is it really something to discuss on a supposed political program?

Alan Partridge has more credibility than this lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Threw in a thing about 'travellers donating food'-and sure it's easy to have it when you don't pay taxes. (gotta undo that Peter Casey damage)

They then bring in a bit about 'the Christmas dinner is problematic'...and I'm sitting there like 'Oh God, does this mean we'll have Eoghan's sister, Roe McDermott on the tv?'...sure enough, there she is...

It's the f****** Christmas Dinner!!! Is it really something to discuss on a supposed political program?

Every Christmas the media feel compelled to tell everyone how to behave, they'll even have psychologists on to tell us how to interact with relations.
    Moderation now folks,OK?

kneemos wrote: »
    Every Christmas the media feel compelled to tell everyone how to behave, they'll even have psychologists on to tell us how to interact with relations.
    Moderation now folks,OK?

If it was about drink driving and so on, I'd be like 'okay, this is important, and it's never to be understated'...but nope.
    Nothing as important as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

They then bring in a bit about 'the Christmas dinner is problematic'...

What is "problematic" about it? Is it some s***e about the tradition of a big meal with all the family round is hard for some families to afford/put on and that makes them feel bad for not having it?

Because if so they can *** right off with this nonsense, where would it end then?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

What was that all about? I've been to xmas dinners for the last 50 years in different households and have never seen a row at at any of them.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    What is "problematic" about it? Is it some s***e about the tradition of a big meal with all the family round is hard for some families to afford/put on and that makes them feel bad for not having it?

Because if so they can *** right off with this nonsense, where would it end then?

Oh you're using logic here-not Social Justice Warriorism, which they were using.

They were talking about in-fighting in the family, and arguments you might have over this thing and that thing.
    Even did some stupid s**t like 'find a job' to do-like, chopping onions, or getting the cranberry sauce ready-but then that lead to crap like 'oh it becomes the secret of fatima' as families try to protect the recipe for stuffing or whatever.

It honestly got ridiculous...and then Roe steps in. 'Have discussions with familiy before you go there-like 'with your sister say 'what you said last time really upset me, so if you're going to bring that up again, I won't be coming home'.

Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Kivaro wrote: »
    That's after Tubridy effort to embarrass Varadkar about homelessness on Saturday night.

I like Leo, I'd say he's probably not someone I'd get along with, but he's a good leader.
    I can tell he wants to go mental about these people declaring themselves homeless and all the social media bullsh*t but he's biting his tongue.
    However, these other "thousands" of homeless that RTE are highlighting are not homeless. They have roofs over their heads and are well looked after by the State. The fact that they do not have free forever homes does not make them homeless. We have a housing crisis, not a homeless crisis. This is exasperated by the economic migrants showing up at our shores, mainly in Dublin, and declaring themselves and their families homeless.

Just to add to this, people declaring themselves homeless and going to live in a hotel with their kids is bad form.
    It's obvious the 90% of them could go live at home with their parents (Like what I'm doing... I'm 35 :o ) And save up and get a house themselves.

I think people that use their children to get given home are not good people.
    The video of that little one crying is a load of ballox, that mother got her child upset deliberately, recorded it and them uploaded it to Social media to get bumped up to the top of the list. Kids don't naturally think about those kind of things.
    Makes me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I doubt there are even that many.

grahambo wrote: »
    I like Leo, I'd say he's probably not someone I'd get along with, but he's a good leader.
    I can tell he wants to go mental about these people declaring themselves homeless and all the social media bullsh*t but he's biting his tongue.

Each to their own-but I think he's a clueless puppet. He's not a leader, imo. He's trying to control the image of himself in the media-and it's failing.
    Just to add to this, people declaring themselves homeless and going to live in a hotel with their kids is bad form.
    It's obvious the 90% of them could go live at home with their parents (Like what I'm doing... I'm 35 :o ) And save up and get a house themselves.

I think people that use their children to get given home are not good people.
    The video of that little one crying is a load of ballox, that mother got her child upset deliberately, recorded it and them uploaded it to Social media to get bumped up to the top of the list. Kids don't naturally think about those kind of things.
    Makes me sick.

I know too many who live at home-houses are unaffordable, renting can be a nightmare , and they're lucky, I guess, to not have children. (Can't imagine what it's like to have kids and try and pay a mortgage).

But people who use their kids as blackmail/ leverage-they're scum. If you can't afford to look after em, don't have em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steve-collins

I met a pair of women over in a southside hotel few weeks ago.

I was at a wedding and they where out smoking, they where on route to the toy show for the 4th year in a row, well off pair and obiously knew someone high up on RTE, they said they would both be getting at least 500 euro each of free toys.

The government can go and ****e if they think me a working man is going to cough up a tax to pay for well off people to receive thousands of euros worth of free gifts each year at my and your expense. It boils my piss to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I met a pair of women over in a southside hotel few weeks ago.

I was at a wedding and they where out smoking, they where on route to the toy show for the 4th year in a row, well off pair and obiously knew someone high up on RTE, they said they would both be getting at least 500 euro each of free toys.

The government can go and ****e if they think me a working man is going to cough up a tax to pay for well off people to receive thousands of euros worth of free gifts each year at my and your expense. It boils my piss to be honest.

You know RTE doesn't actually pay for the audience giveaways? Whatever shop/hotel/whatever who are trying to advertise themselves pays!

Laois_Man wrote: »
    You know RTE doesn't actually pay for the audience giveaways? Whatever shop/hotel/whatever who are trying to advertise themselves pays!

I think he was referring to how the tickets are essentially free for all-but then it's like a 'lottery' and whoever gets a free ticket, gets about 500 quids worth of toys.
    Someone in RTE using sway to get that person a ticket.... and you see why they are ticked off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭steve-collins

Of course I know RTE dont pay for the toys but RTE should as a government body be giving these tickets away as lottery which is clearly not the case. Its just a microcosm of what RTE and this Government is all about. Cronyism and corruption up the gills.

• Advertisement

Of course I know RTE dont pay for the toys but RTE should as a government body be giving these tickets away as lottery which is clearly not the case. Its just a microcosm of what RTE and this Government is all about. Cronyism and corruption up the gills.

Sort of puts the 'Pat Kenny tearing up the Toy Show' ticket in a different light-to him they were valueless-he could bring in some family member instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

And in tonight's installment of RTE's "Homeless, Homeless Everywhere" on the Six One news, they had the Simon Community advocating for the constitutional right for everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) to have a permanent home. Imagine that ............... arrive here from a Roma Village in Eastern Europe, and hey presto, here's your new constitutional home in Ireland.
    Hmmm, I wonder who pays for that?

As the RTE intrepid reporter signed off on the nightly homeless segment, he lamented that "This crisis is touching many".
    If there are (let's say) 200 "real" homeless people in the country, then out of a population of 4.784 million people in the country, the number is tiny.
    This homeless crisis is a figment of RTE's imagination.

There are about 10,000 in "emergency accommodation", while they wait for their forever homes. Even this number is tiny out of a population of 4.784 million people. But RTE has to make this into a "crisis", as it will keep them relevant; at least in their own minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,095 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

And in tonight's installment of RTE's "Homeless, Homeless Everywhere" on the Six One news, they had the Simon Community advocating for the constitutional right for everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) to have a permanent home. Imagine that ............... arrive here from a Roma Village in Eastern Europe, and hey presto, here's your new constitutional home in Ireland.
    Hmmm, I wonder who pays for that?

As the RTE intrepid reporter signed off on the nightly homeless segment, he lamented that "This crisis is touching many".
    If there are (let's say) 200 "real" homeless people in the country, then out of a population of 4.784 million people in the country, the number is tiny.
    This homeless crisis is a figment of RTE's imagination.

There are about 10,000 in "emergency accommodation", while they wait for their forever homes. Even this number is tiny out of a population of 4.784 million people. But RTE has to make this into a "crisis", as it will keep them relevant; at least in their own minds.

This ‘crisis’ I firmly believe is being gamed by the lefties.

I have yet to hear a drill down on the majority of these ‘homeless’ and why they have arrived at the state they are in.

A huge percentage are lone parents..... seems to be the way to go.

Where are the fathers, partners, will they suddenly re appear when the person is housed....will they f...k.

I am not suggesting there is not a housing issue, but I feel that there is gaming on a large scale aided and abetted by the ‘homeless industry’ and the vested interests who are trousering hefty wedges from the fallout.

WAKe up people , we are being gamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Would be interesting if a freedom of infromation request could reveal those audience members getting repeat visits for the Toy Show. Not sure if GDPR would prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Would be interesting if a freedom of infromation request could reveal those audience members getting repeat visits for the Toy Show. Not sure if GDPR would prevent it.

To paraphrase one of your radio heroes Atlantic:

Don't you be giving RTÉ any of yer auld guff!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ray D’Arcy got a €50,000 pay rise.

312 additional TV Licences of an increase

Is he worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Top 10 earners in RTE for 2016, Figures just released I think

1: Ryan Tubridy : €495,000
    2: Ray Darcy : €450,000 (up from €400,00 in 2015)
    3: Joe Duffy : €389,988
    4: Sean O'Rourke : €308,964 (up from €290,113 in 2015)
    5: Marian Finucane : €300,617 (up from €295,000 in 2015)
    6: Miriam O'Callaghan : €299,000
    7: Claire Byrne : €216,000 (up from €201,500 in 2015)
    8: Bryan Dobson : €198,146 <= Surprising, he'd been there a long time but I suppose he's not really a contractor
    9: George Hamilton : €186,195
    10: Mary Wilson : €185,679

https://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/here-are-the-latest-earnings-for-rtes-top-10-presenters-891635.html

8: Bryan Dobson : €198,146 <= Surprising, he'd been there a long time but I suppose he's not really a contractor

https://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/here-are-the-latest-earnings-for-rtes-top-10-presenters-891635.html

And that's from two years ago-bloody hell, you know they've gone up again.

(Did Claire Byrne get a decrease after the sh** show she made of the abortion referendum)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I have 5 TV licences and only one tv (broken).

Now I hear that Ray Darcy got a pay rise? How's that fair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Finucane does two mornings a week and doesn't show up most of the time.

How in the name of God?

Advertisement