Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Im planning to scrap my TV and just use a large computer monitor with an Android box.... Therefore I don't technically own a TV so I don't expect to pay a TV license since my Monitor nor my Android box have TV signal antennas. Am I right? If they come past my house with those scanners to detect a TV signal from my house they won't find one.....

RTE, bunch of TV license fee wanting b@stards! I never ever watch RTE, ever!
    Jesus christ man that's naive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Im planning to scrap my TV and just use a large computer monitor with an Android box.... Therefore I don't technically own a TV so I don't expect to pay a TV license since my Monitor nor my Android box have TV signal antennas. Am I right? If they come past my house with those scanners to detect a TV signal from my house they won't find one.....

Wrap the house in tinfoil. The only way to stop the TV van getting you. I did it. Works a treat. Improved my u-values too..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If you connect your monitor to a TV receiver such as a Sky or Saorview box you'll need a license.
    Or receive broadband TV .
    Interweb is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

NIMAN wrote: »
    Yeah, something very strange happened in that one.
    Did it look like she was going to take a sex discrimination claim against RTe for letting her go, so they throw her a pile of money to shut up and move on?

As for their hiring practices, do they not have to advertise jobs like every other employer? Are they allowed to just give jobs out? (yes I'm looking at you Lottie Ryan, you talentless fool)

They do but already assign it to current employees a lot of the time. My cousin applied for a job there and as she was bejng led into the interview room the guy leading her in (also a friend of hers) told her not to get her hopes up as the job had been secured by a current employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Just having a cable and an aerial in your house was enough to be required to have a license. If you read the law on TV licenses, it was worded so that there was no get out, except for having no cables, no aerials, no screen. It was also designed to make sure that building with multiple tenants had one license per screen and that pubs had the licences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

What they might do is go down the French route of making you pay for a TV license alongside your property tax. Unless you can prove beyond doubt that you do not have a telly and are not in receipt of a television service, then you pay up when you go to the local town hall to pay the LPT. If you don't pay it and are found to have a telly, then they will eat you alive until you pay the dues. It's easier to just pay the ****ing thing, as they will make you jump thru bureaucratic hoops and you will be marked down for future attention.......what's annoying is that paying for car tax in Ireland is simple yet RTE can't make collecting a TV tax simple. The bureaucracy consumes about a third of the license fee just for collection alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

No, I think you're wrong I'm afraid.

Is it not worded in such a way that if you have any equipment that has the ability to receive TV channels in any shape or form, you must have a TV licence.

The authorities know that the way people watch TVs is changing. And they are trying to cover all bases. I think they are even moving away from calling it a 'TV' licence, as many don't get their entertainment on physical TVs, but on smart phones, laptops, etc.

So to them it doesn't matter if you throw out all your TVs, you will still have equipment in the house that could receive a TV picture.

So has the law changed recently because the Act referred to a tv receiver ?

It's simple. Means of receiving a TV signal,you need a license.
    Doesn't include anything on your computer or mobile.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

What ever happened to RTE's secret insider?

Contractors dispute could cost RTE a cool five million.

https://extra.ie/2018/12/26/news/irish-news/workers-in-row-with-rte/amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

steddyeddy wrote: »
    What ever happened to RTE's secret insider?

I'd say they rumbled him and now he's an outsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

RTÉ received €186 million from licence fee receipts in 2017, its annual report shows.

Rival response
    In a statement, Virgin Media said it believed RTÉ “should be held accountable for losing €30 million in the last three years”, despite combined public and commercial revenues of more than €1 billion in this period.

“Additional funding without any conditions is a reward for RTÉ’s inefficiencies to the detriment of the independent broadcasting sector.”

RTÉ has recorded operating deficits in seven of the last nine years. Under both current director-general Dee Forbes and her predecessor Noel Curran, it has campaigned consistently for higher public funding and pushed for licence fee reform.

TG4 employs a dedicated core staff of 80 people from all parts of Ireland at its Connemara Gaeltacht headquarters.

RTE have 1,856 employees(as of 31 December 2013)

#fixrte #tg4>rte #rottentothecore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

sligojoek wrote: »
    I'd say they rumbled him and now he's an outsider.

Some speculated he might have been the sports producer caught for being a paedo.
    He went quiet round the same time as the arrest. Eep.
    sxt wrote: »
    RTÉ received €186 million from licence fee receipts in 2017, its annual report shows.

Rival response
    In a statement, Virgin Media said it believed RTÉ “should be held accountable for losing €30 million in the last three years”, despite combined public and commercial revenues of more than €1 billion in this period.

“Additional funding without any conditions is a reward for RTɒs inefficiencies to the detriment of the independent broadcasting sector.”

RTÉ has recorded operating deficits in seven of the last nine years. Under both current director-general Dee Forbes and her predecessor Noel Curran, it has campaigned consistently for higher public funding and pushed for licence fee reform.

TG4 employs a dedicated core staff of 80 people from all parts of Ireland at its Connemara Gaeltacht headquarters.

Well, they let go 300 staff on redundancy back in 2017.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/rt%C3%A9-to-offer-improved-redundancy-terms-to-300-staff-1.3203914

So I imagine you're looking at maybe 1500 staff-but all shoved everywhere.
    I was watching BBC news, and they have 'one' dedicated weather woman.
    On the rare occasion the weather woman wasn't available-the newsreader did the weather.

How many weather people are there at RTE? About 4 or 5, easily. Tv3 have maybe 2, possibly 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

F...ing disgraceful that RTE broadcast those horrendous licence ads on both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Some speculated he might have been the sports producer caught for being a paedo.
    He went quiet round the same time as the arrest. Eep.

Well, they let go 300 staff on redundancy back in 2017.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/rt%C3%A9-to-offer-improved-redundancy-terms-to-300-staff-1.3203914

So I imagine you're looking at maybe 1500 staff-but all shoved everywhere.
    I was watching BBC news, and they have 'one' dedicated weather woman.
    On the rare occasion the weather woman wasn't available-the newsreader did the weather.

How many weather people are there at RTE? About 4 or 5, easily. Tv3 have maybe 2, possibly 3.

Between TV and radio there are easily twelve,some of which are weather presenters and some meteorologists.Jean Byrne,Siobhan Ryan,Joanna Donnelly,Michelle Dillon and Gerry Murphy are all meteorologists and I presume all are employed by Met Eireann.Audrey McGrath,Karina Buckley and Nuala Carey are weather presenters and are employed by RTE.On radio names that come to mind are Harm Luijkz,he is the husband of Joanna Donnelly and a meteorologists,Dr Klara Finkele another meteorologist,Joan Blackburn,Pat Clarke,and Vincent O'Shea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Between TV and radio there are easily twelve,some of which are weather presenters and some meteorologists.Jean Byrne,Siobhan Ryan,Joanna Donnelly,Michelle Dillon and Gerry Murphy are all meteorologists and I presume all are employed by Met Eireann.Audrey McGrath,Karina Buckley and Nuala Carey are weather presenters and are employed by RTE.On radio names that come to mind are Harm Luijkz,he is the husband of Joanna Donnelly and a meteorologists,Dr Klara Finkele another meteorologist,Joan Blackburn,Pat Clarke,and Vincent O'Shea.

Also Helen Curran (nee Leonard). She's not a meteorologist.

Does Vincent O'Shea do much tv? I remember he was often pretty terrible for weather predictions.
    Got it so wrong, so often. Stuff like 'it's gonna be sunny tomorrow', cue 7 days of rain. In a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

According to this Journal article from last year, we don't need a licence for a laptop, PC or tablet:

You won't have to buy a TV licence for your laptop, PC or tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

According to this Journal article from last year, we don't need a licence for a laptop, PC or tablet:

I was at my parents place over Christmas and heard an advertisement for having a tv licence (tax on tvs) and noted some very sneaky use of language, the first part started you need a licence(tv tax) if you have a tv which is technically correct, but the second part implied if you have a computer or internet connection then its time you paid the tv tax too . . .

As far as I'm aware there are no technical or legal barriers to RTE asking you to input your licence number to view or listen to content on their rte.ie domain, so the question is why don't they?

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I was at my parents place over Christmas and heard an advertisement for having a tv licence (tax on tvs) and noted some very sneaky use of language, the first part started you need a licence(tv tax) if you have a tv which is technically correct, but the second part implied if you have a computer or internet connection then its time you paid the tv tax too . . .

As far as I'm aware there are no technical or legal barriers to RTE asking you to input your licence number to view or listen to content on their rte.ie domain, so the question is why don't they?
    Cos then they'll have hard figures for how few people watch their crap output and face pressure to do something about their useless player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Cos then they'll have hard figures for how few people watch their crap output and face pressure to do something about their useless player.

They seem to be ranked 20 or thereabouts in Ireland for access to their rte.ie domain and they can detect the presence of adblockers so that excuse does not fly. They could change it to we see you have an adblocker would you like to register your tv "licence" number instead to watch this content?

You can also tell what demographic are likely watching or listening to RTE by the advertisements shown since RTE will have to be more honest with its advertisers.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement

But someone just accessing the website might just be looking for the Irish news headlines or sports results , not necessarily to watch something on the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

sxt wrote: »

Rival response

“Additional funding without any conditions is a reward for RTɒs inefficiencies to the detriment of the independent broadcasting sector.”

Very good post.
    RTE is indeed rotten to the core.

Regarding last week's controversy at RTE (we seem to get one weekly); it appears that Sharon has now chilled out. Sharon wanted to fly to London to do the 9 O' Clock broadcast last week. The person in charge of the news thought it might make more sense of tax-payer funds, if the person already there covering the parliment vote i.e. Caitriona Perry, co-anchored the bulletin with Sharon instead. But no, Sharon got upset; claiming it was only going to cost us the price of the plane ticket, and she was being undermined because of the decision. No Sharon, it was definitely going to cost us a lot more than that.

RTE is a fiefdom for personal wealth creation by its staff ........ at the expense of the tax-payer. Dismantle RTE now.

Also Helen Curran (nee Leonard). She's not a meteorologist.

Does Vincent O'Shea do much tv? I remember he was often pretty terrible for weather predictions.
    Got it so wrong, so often. Stuff like 'it's gonna be sunny tomorrow', cue 7 days of rain. In a row.

Haven't seen him on TV.John Eagleton is another one I forgot,he does radio now.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BilboBagOfCans

It's a joke, they spend half their hours showing repeats of programs, and paying for drivel like the daithi program that's on at the moment.

It's a joke, they spend half their hours showing repeats of programs, and paying for drivel like the daithi program that's on at the moment.
    Not to mention "classics" like "Little House on the Prairie " on the Irish language channel. Not even over dubbud at that

• Registered Users Posts: 33,108 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When I hear the adverts on Rte, I often hear voices like Kathryn Thomas and Keelin Shanley doing the voice-over

Do they do these jobs as part of their salary, or do they get paid by Blue Insurance, tesco and multitrip separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

When I hear the adverts on Rte, I often hear voices like Kathryn Thomas and Keelin Shanley.

Do they do these jobs as part of their salary, or do they get paid by Blue Insurance, tesco and multitrip separately?
    they're freelance contractors rather than rte employees so they can do any nixers they like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Not to mention "classics" like "Little House on the Prairie " on the Irish language channel. Not even over dubbud at that

TG4 is independent of RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

They updated the player and it is a lot better now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Bad television often ruins Christmas. This year, I did not watch any of the shows RTE are pushing at us. Was aware of how bad Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas Special was last year so avoided it and other such specials this year. It is clear RTE are putting on any old trash and I learned my lesson from wasting too much time on RTE's attempts at 'comedy' before: Mrs Brown, Alison Spittle, etc. If this is all RTE can offer, we should not be paying a fee to them. Anyone who had a misfortune to watch Mrs Brown and other specials on RTE this Christmas all said they were very poor and all this tripe can leave one feeling depressed.

Advertisement