Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

From the RTE website
    RTÉ's Mission
    "To enrich its staff, their friends and extended families through excessive remuneration for average (or worse) performance and to facilitate further enrichment by allowing the national airwaves to be used for the peddaling of staff's wares, private ventures and vanity projects."

I've amended your post to reflect reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I always think that being the 11th highest earner in RTE must be a great job.

Well when you compare the 2015 list to the 2016 list, Nicky Byrne (8th in 2015 on €200,583) and Darragh Moloney (10th in 2015 on €188,803) are missing from the 2016 list which has Mary Wilson in 10th on €185,679. So Byrne and Malloney got fairly hefty pay reductions between the 2 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭daheff

An Post, and Post Offices are closing down across the country-so there'd be no point. In fact they could very well be challenging the government over the closures, but instead, nope.

So there'd be no point going after An Post.
    Of course there is. An Post have a contract to collect the license fee. Closing of post offices is An Posts issue not RTEs. If An Post cannot fulfill their part of the contract then maybe its time to cancel?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Well when you compare the 2015 list to the 2016 list, Nicky Byrne (8th in 2015 on €200,583) and Darragh Moloney (10th in 2015 on €188,803) are missing from the 2016 list which has Mary Wilson in 10th on €185,679. So Byrne and Malloney got fairly hefty pay reductions between the 2 years!

Or more likely, just worked less in those years. Each as contractors would be on a fee per hour/per show. Working less does not equal a cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

That would be pre Dancing With The Stars which he hosts, bound to have got a nice slice of cake for that stint, so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

My mate fixed the graph...

468128.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

3 million euro alone for the top 10. And that's just the top 10.

So they are losing money. Here's a radical idea. Tell the top ten that their contracts will be capped at €150k. A good salary for what is not actually that difficult a job*.

They, being contractors for the most part, are free to go on an earner elsewhere but to broadcast with RTE you 'aint getting more than 150k as a rule. If they throw a wobbler keep saying 'fiscal responsibility' translation: we're not paying you what you were getting while we're losing money hand over fist.

I just saved RTE €1.5 million euro per annum and I don't even have an MBA.

*Think Tubridy with Tom Cruise scheduled to appear on the Late Late.
    Here's what his work involves. Write the following on a cue card.

1. Ask about any Irish roots.
    2. Talk about "Top Gun"
    3. Do not talk about Scientology.
    4. Talk about his latest action movie.
    5. Go to clip from said movie showing him 'jumping' off train/building/whatever.
    6. Tell him he looks great. (for his age)
    7. Talk about Far and Away. Do not tell him his accent was rubbish.
    8. If he goes off topic, grin and laugh awkwardly. Don't panic.
    9. Make sure to invite him back.
    10. Go to clip of him dancing in his undies in Risky Business, time permitting.
    11. Ask him about Donald Trump.
    etc

The rest is just reading the auto cue and going for the lucrative ad breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

They can't get someone to run the HSE on roughly half what Ray D'Arcy is on. What's the more important job? Talking nonsense and pontificating to people or running a health service?
    Yup, let's pay some porridge guzzling eejit twice as much as one of the most important positions in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

valoren wrote: »

That is just outrageous. At one stage when Dee Forbes first starting banging on about a license fee increase, she said that the Irish public were getting value that was multiples of what we are currently paying for the license. The RTE liberal elite live in a strange world of their own.

Dee Forbes .......... what an apt name.
    In future, when we hear about the Forbes Rich List, they are obviously talking about the top 10 earners at RTE.

They are a shower of wasters and the RTE quango should be dismantled from the top down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

So they are losing money. Here's a radical idea. Tell the top ten that their contracts will be capped at €150k. A good salary for what is not actually that difficult a job*.

They, being contractors for the most part, are free to go on an earner elsewhere but to broadcast with RTE you 'aint getting more than 150k as a rule. If they throw a wobbler keep saying 'fiscal responsibility' translation: we're not paying you what you were getting while we're losing money hand over fist.

2. Talk about "Top Gun"
    5. Go to clip from said movie showing him 'jumping' off train/building/whatever.
    etc

He uses the same cues hosting the Late Late Show as he did during his abomination of a stint on the Rose of Tralee. The only thing is, they made him sit down because on ROT he kept moving around and missing his mark.

Seriously-he was all about 'dubya' Bush when he was the ROT host. And then he was asking about the Invasion of Iraq too. He was farcical.

So many, many years later-and he still hasn't changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Tubs is the worst interviewer for international stars, he seriously has no idea. Comparing him to Norton is a no goer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I was astonished that D'Arcy, who appears to have no qualifications apart from the ability to grin, earns nearly three times the salary of Mary Wilson, who is a qualified lawyer. I'd happily pay her the 180K that she's one, which is still a tasty wage, but D'Arcy wouldn't get a gig on a local radio station reading death notices.

Have ye also noticed the intense amount of advertising about the orchestras? RTE are really pushing hard to keep them under their wing, on State salaries, instead of shunting them out into the commercial world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Stovepipe wrote:
    I was astonished that D'Arcy, who appears to have no qualifications apart from the ability to grin, earns nearly three times the salary of Mary Wilson, who is a qualified lawyer. I'd happily pay her the 180K that she's one, which is still a tasty wage, but D'Arcy wouldn't get a gig on a local radio station reading death notices.

While I agree with you on D'arcy, Wilson isn't hired by RTE to be a lawyer, it's barely, if in any way relevant.

On the subject of D'arcy though, yep.....dustbin. Most of the rest can piss off too, especially Tubs.

ligerdub wrote: »
    While I agree with you on D'arcy, Wilson isn't hired by RTE to be a lawyer, it's barely, if in any way relevant.

On the subject of D'arcy though, yep.....dustbin. Most of the rest can piss off too, especially Tubs.

He studied Psychology, so he's not 'unqualified'-but that said, he's not exactly good with people...so I have to wonder what he's been doing.

A quick cursory glance of a book on interviewing, or psychology, and one could connect well with people far better than D'Arcy.
    Tommy Tiernan's fallen as a comedian (and boy did he fall) but he can connect with people when interviewing them far better than D'Arcy or Tubridy.

And he's not commanding almost half a million to do so.

ligerdub wrote: »

Her legal training and experience makes her a better broadcaster as she has an ability to cut to the chase and not tolerate waffling and diversion by politicians. She clearly has a fine tuned bull**** meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,099 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Her legal training and experience makes her a better broadcaster as she has an ability to cut to the chase and not tolerate waffling and diversion by politicians. She clearly has a fine tuned bull**** meter.

Hmmm.... looks like you’ve gotten the big stiffie for Mary, dude.

Just sayin’......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Stovepipe wrote: »

If she clearly has a fine tuned bullshoite meter, then why does she work for RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Kivaro wrote: »
    If she clearly has a fine tuned bullshoite meter, then why does she work for RTE?

A lawyer finding their way to a massive state-funded trough, what are the chances?

RTE must be the only place on the planet where being a "celebrity" is a job for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Vic_08 wrote: »
    A lawyer finding their way to a massive state-funded trough, what are the chances?

RTE must be the only place on the planet where being a "celebrity" is a job for life.

Wilson is one of the very few good ones in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Scrap RTE and put our money into the BBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

With the extra funding BBC NI Newsline could expand the weather map to the 32 counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

2. Talk about "Top Gun"
    etc

i agree but cap it at 50k . 50 k is still a very good wage for what they do.
    some of them are part timers at best
    use it as a spring board for young irish tallent. any really good ones will leave to comercial stations.

i agree but cap it at 50k . 50 k is still a very good wage for what they do.
    some of them are part timers at best
    use it as a spring board for young irish tallent. any really good ones will leave to comercial stations.

Oh God-it's been almost 20 years since there was 'new' talent at RTE. The death of the young people's programming genuinely killed an outlet for new presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

The wage bill is only part of a myrid of ways RTE waste money!

I can never understand how/why RTE need a Washington correspondent who has access to nobody, a London correspondent who has access to nobody (and when something important, like yesterday is happening, they still send over the main Six-One anchor to do the gig anyway) and a Brussels correspondent who has access to nobody - likewise!

Then there's the Irish regional correspondents who...well....there's is nobody to have access to.

Then you have their education correspondent, religious affairs correspondent, science and technology correspondent and 100 more of them who get something useful to report on once a month!

Then there was all this sh!te today about the 1918 General Election. Even the weather forecast tonight had the weather of 14/12/1918 on it. Does ANYONE seriously give the slightest feck?? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

RTE is a gravy train, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

The wage bill is only part of a myrid of ways RTE waste money!

I can never understand how/why RTE need a Washington correspondent who has access to nobody, a London correspondent who has access to nobody (and when something important, like yesterday is happening, they still send over the main Six-One anchor to do the gig anyway) and a Brussels correspondent who has access to nobody - likewise!

Then there's the Irish regional correspondents who...well....there's is nobody to have access to.

Then you have their education correspondent, religious affairs correspondent, science and technology correspondent and 100 more of them who get something useful to report on once a month!

Then there was all this sh!te today about the 1918 General Election. Even the weather forecast tonight had the weather of 14/12/1918 on it. Does ANYONE seriously give the slightest feck?? :(

i couldnt agree more. whats the point of these people and what do they do when there is nothing to report.

its the same as when something happens someplace they have to send someone over . then news reader explains everything then cuts over to someone and they repeat it all again

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Then you have their education correspondent, religious affairs correspondent, science and technology correspondent and 100 more of them who get something useful to report on once a month

Prime example being Samantha Librari, she pops up once every 6-8 weeks with an absolute non story.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Prime example being Samantha Librari, she pops up once every 6-8 weeks with an absolute non story.

Who?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

fritzelly wrote: »
    Who?

Exactly, but I bet you she’s on at least €50-€60k a year (if not more)

Advertisement