Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

A question here. Moved house a few years ago to a rented house.

Had a license in last house. But never bothered getting one for current house.

Letter arrived few months ago addressed to ‘the occupier’. I just ignored it.

3 things:

1. Could I get in trouble officially over this or because it just simply says ‘the occupier’ - am I somewhat ok?

2. Let’s say a tv inspector calls to the house. I obviously cannot produce a TV license. Will I be given some time to get a tv licence (a week or whatever) or will I get fined straight away?

3. If I am caught, Can any of the tv license payments I didn’t pay be back dated?

P.S. yes I know this may be frowned upon but trust me, I pay enough taxes every year and hard to get by as it is without stupid TV licences bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

3 things:

1. Could I get in trouble officially over this or because it just simply says ‘the occupier’NO - am I somewhat ok? YES

2. Let’s say a tv inspector calls to the house. I obviously cannot produce a TV license. Will I be given some time to get a tv licence (a week or whatever) YES or will I get fined straight away? NO

3. If I am caught, Can any of the tv license payments I didn’t pay be back dated? NO

P.S. yes I know this may be frowned upon but trust me, I pay enough taxes every year and hard to get by as it is without stupid TV licences bills.

Don't buy a licence until at least after an inspector calls. I plied him with sad stories for three more months after that and eventually got one when I got a letter saying the next step would be court. Once you get a licence it'll be in the system and you'll never hear from them again till the next one is due. Don't think about getting one till they make you. There is no backdating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

In what scenario do you not require a TV license? if you stream everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    In what scenario do you not require a TV license? if you stream everything?

In the scenario you have a TV.

kneemos wrote: »
    In the scenario you have a TV.

But if you just have a big ass monitor you are streaing to

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you have a TV you need to have a TV license, if you don't have a TV you don't.

That's the loophole they haven't caught up with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Carlingford Locked

Only way is to revolt against it, get some party to say they will cut the arse out of it on next election and vote them in.....otherwise the millions will be continued to be wasted

Or just don't pay your license. For the love of God don't pay it! I don't know how people can pay it given that it's just a bunch of puppets for the Government agenda and it pays salaries for people like Tubridy. I can barely say or type his name without shuddering.

Or just don't pay your license. For the love of God don't pay it! I don't know how people can pay it given that it's just a bunch of puppets for the Government agenda and it pays salaries for people like Tubridy. I can barely say or type his name without shuddering.

After watching that farce on the Late Late show with Casey I had enough.....it is pure crap

I couldn't bring myself to watch what I knew would be the love in with Varadkar....I guess he didn't bring on a load of homeless people to have them badger him from the audience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

3 things:

1. Could I get in trouble officially over this or because it just simply says ‘the occupier’ - am I somewhat ok?

2. Let’s say a tv inspector calls to the house. I obviously cannot produce a TV license. Will I be given some time to get a tv licence (a week or whatever) or will I get fined straight away?

3. If I am caught, Can any of the tv license payments I didn’t pay be back dated?

The licence is yours, the address just means they have your particulars out of date. Unless you get a bill I'd leave them be. They can't fine you unless they know who lives there and they'll need send you a letter or two first. Also even if you get a few free months...
    Hold off their boss.

• Advertisement

That's the loophole they haven't caught up with.

I'm pretty sure it's amended to state any apparatus capable of receiving a TV signal.

I'm pretty sure it's amended to state any apparatus capable of receiving a TV signal.

A monitor can't receive a TV signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Only way is to revolt against it, get some party to say they will cut the arse out of it on next election and vote them in.....otherwise the millions will be continued to be wasted

imagine, it would actually be very prudent electioneering, you arent throwing out a half billion welfare increase this year and every other year, you'd literally be saving household's E160 a year and ending the pisstake gravy train that is RTE...

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

RTE should be privatised. End of story.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    imagine, it would actually be very prudent electioneering, you arent throwing out a half billion welfare increase this year and every other year, you'd literally be saving household's E160 a year and ending the pisstake gravy train that is RTE...

The issue is the entire campaign you would have RTE bad moutingthat party.....running around the country trying to dig up dirt, and their is always dirth.....like poor old Sean Gallagher found out.....

Imagine the s**t thrown at the first TV debate, some of it lies of course by RTE but it would take them 2-3 years to admit it

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

These people on here denigrating RTE should cop themselves on. What would we do if we hadn't got it? You know you would really miss the commercials for steam cleaners from 7 am to 8 am. Followed by 2 hours of a repeat of the previous evening's show, Daithi Lacha (sorry, Daithi and Maura).

A monitor can't receive a TV signal?

But the monitor is linked to something that can access RTE content?
    I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the FG/Lab gov brought something in to cover that.
    bmm wrote: »

I think we need an impartial (don't laugh) broadcaster not beholden to advertisers. Currently we have neither. A channel in English with 100% Irish content and one in Irish.
    With the exception of news items or Irish made documentaries covering foreign stories, the content should be 100% Irish with no adverts.
    They should open up the doors to D4 outsiders. Everybody and their dog has access to a media course. A hell of a lot more training than Tubbs got or would help Lottie Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

We have 2 TVs at home and non of them are used to watch anything broadcasted. Its for netflix or Xbox. We still paying the fecking license.
    First and only time we wanted to watch RTE was Toy show. So we streamed it on TV, but half way the show it shat itself. So we watched it on Twitch TV...

This license is beyond joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Poulgorm wrote: »
    These people on here denigrating RTE should cop themselves on. What would we do if we hadn't got it? You know you would really miss the commercials for steam cleaners from 7 am to 8 am. Followed by 2 hours of a repeat of the previous evening's show, Daithi Lacha (sorry, Daithi and Maura).

And don't forget Liveline Call Back.
    What in heaven's name would we do at 7 p.m. if that program went off the air. Can we call it a program? It is a recording on camera of what a grossly overpaid "broadcaster" said earlier on the radio.

Are there any legal eagles out there who could guide us (as a Nation) into filing a lawsuit against RTE for not being fit for purpose, or for being partial and biased in their reporting, or for paying their "talent" multiples of what other similarly sized countries (by population) are paying their stars, or for nepotism and cronyism in their hiring practices and contracts, or for .........?

I would imagine that there would be no issue in getting this lawsuit crowdfunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

bmm wrote: »

for what. nothing new would be brought to the table. we'd still be paying the licence fee while it takes advertising and the fee would not reduce. we would get no better a service. another privatize it for the sake of privatizing it is all it would be. there is plenty of privatized tv and radio for those who want it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭satguy

We just need one good news channel, 24 hours.
    One good radio station.

Everyone pays 1 euro per week, stopped at source from wage packets and SW payments.

satguy wrote: »
    We just need one good news channel, 24 hours.
    One good radio station.

Everyone pays 1 euro per week, stopped at source from wage packets and SW payments.

Nah. I never listen to the radio, (too much shyte). I'll pay 50c ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I watched about five minutes of Six One news this evening.That is all of RTE television I will watch today,same most days.The only thing I watch for longer on RTE is sport.I detest paying the licence every year,I only do so to avoid prosecution.As for radio,I listen to Ronan Collins,some of the News At One, occasionally some of John Creedon and Saturday and Sunday Sport.Thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Kivaro wrote: »
    And don't forget Liveline Call Back.
    What in heaven's name would we do at 7 p.m. if that program went off the air. Can we call it a program? It is a recording on camera of what a grossly overpaid "broadcaster" said earlier on the radio.

Are there any legal eagles out there who could guide us (as a Nation) into filing a lawsuit against RTE for not being fit for purpose, or for being partial and biased in their reporting, or for paying their "talent" multiples of what other similarly sized countries (by population) are paying their stars, or for nepotism and cronyism in their hiring practices and contracts, or for .........?

I would imagine that there would be no issue in getting this lawsuit crowdfunded.

Good luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Nah. I never listen to the radio, (too much shyte). I'll pay 50c ;)

There are way too many Irish TV and radio stations at this stage and all of them doing the same thing with overpaid presenters. Why are media types treated like royalty these days? You notice they all sound the same too: Tubridy, Kenny, O'Rourke and the rest of them. Their voices are 100% the same and it is as if they are trained in 'media speak' or something.

The best way for TV fees is to set up a system like you have for Netflix, NowTV, Hulu, etc. You want it, you pay for IT not the DEVICE you use. Same should apply to RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

TV today was absolutely awful-repeats of 'Indie' Irish movies. One with Pat Shortt, and he's on TV Sunday as well.

And 'Niall Horan and the RTE Orchestra'-isn't that a repeat? So it's another way to 'justify' the RTe Orchestra.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

TV today was absolutely awful-repeats of 'Indie' Irish movies. One with Pat Shortt, and he's on TV Sunday as well.

And 'Niall Horan and the RTE Orchestra'-isn't that a repeat? So it's another way to 'justify' the RTe Orchestra.

Orchestras (plural).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Orchestras (plural).

Yeah, I know-but I didn't know if 'Orchestra' was both singular and plural, like 'Sheep'.
    Took a guess-landed on my butt.

I imagine there's this 'ah, the orchestra was with Niall, while the other orchestra was doing a concert with the Late Late Show'.
    something to justify this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭malinheader

Yeah, I know-but I didn't know if 'Orchestra' was both singular and plural, like 'Sheep'.
    Took a guess-landed on my butt.

I imagine there's this 'ah, the orchestra was with Niall, while the other orchestra was doing a concert with the Late Late Show'.
    something to justify this crap.

If you didn't pay the licence is it an post or rte who proceed with prosecution.or who takes you to court.

• Advertisement

valoren wrote: »
    3 million euro alone for the top 10. And that's just the top 10.

So they are losing money. Here's a radical idea. Tell the top ten that their contracts will be capped at €150k. A good salary for what is not actually that difficult a job*.

They, being contractors for the most part, are free to go on an earner elsewhere but to broadcast with RTE you 'aint getting more than 150k as a rule. If they throw a wobbler keep saying 'fiscal responsibility' translation: we're not paying you what you were getting while we're losing money hand over fist.

I just saved RTE €1.5 million euro per annum and I don't even have an MBA.

*Think Tubridy with Tom Cruise scheduled to appear on the Late Late.
    Here's what his work involves. Write the following on a cue card.

1. Ask about any Irish roots.
    2. Talk about "Top Gun"
    3. Do not talk about Scientology.
    4. Talk about his latest action movie.
    5. Go to clip from said movie showing him 'jumping' off train/building/whatever.
    6. Tell him he looks great. (for his age)
    7. Talk about Far and Away. Do not tell him his accent was rubbish.
    8. If he goes off topic, grin and laugh awkwardly. Don't panic.
    9. Make sure to invite him back.
    10. Go to clip of him dancing in his undies in Risky Business, time permitting.
    11. Ask him about Donald Trump.
    etc

The rest is just reading the auto cue and going for the lucrative ad breaks.

Can we remove Dee Forbes and replace her with this poster?
    What kind of salary would you like and do you have a problem relocating somewhere like Athlone after Montrose is sold off?

Advertisement