Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

OU812 wrote: »
    I have one I got free in work last year. We’ve only got one car key so it’s handy for us.

Was holding out for the Apple version but these could be a good alternative especially as the original one I have is near end of life.

Anyone know if there’s a market for the dots? I’ve GH & have no interest in it

I'd imagine so. I've three in the house and 1 full echo. I generally pick up the dots when they're in a bundle like this though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Not spectacularly cheap but some OKish deals on a single hue bulb plus a nest mini at Argos if you don't want to buy online.

https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&langId=111&q=NEST&pp=20&c_1=1|category_root|Home+entertainment+and+sat+nav|14419512

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭paulbok

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Seen these but no idea what I would use for.....would you really lose your keys that much you need something connected to it?

Useful for presence detection in automation systems such as Home Assistant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

Ush1 wrote: »

Really u have to ask???
    How much are these normally??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

It is a scam, google OrderPlus International, lots of Paypal complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Moving home so the smarthome will be expanding. Just picked up 8 of these!! Thanks.

Question... Do I even bother running wiring to switch locations on the new build?? I'm torn. Might just run them to have them "just in case" but can't see ever needing them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

vanti wrote: »

I guess you need the Hue hub and then have all Hue bulbs and this will allow you to dim them?

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Moving home so the smarthome will be expanding. Just picked up 8 of these!! Thanks.

Question... Do I even bother running wiring to switch locations on the new build?? I'm torn. Might just run them to have them "just in case" but can't see ever needing them.

If there is a fault or WiFi is down, you could do with the back up.

If there is a fault or WiFi is down, you could do with the back up.

Thanks for the feedback but WiFi being down does not stop hue lights being controlled by the dimmer switch. Have a hue setup already and can confirm this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Yes for two reason, one is future proofing either for a new tech or when selling the property as the following owner would need to rewire the house.

Secondly if you need up with any lights that don’t take bulbs such as led light fixtures.

It would have very short sighted not to wire the switches. Also the batteries o Mc them don’t last an awful long time.

Thanks for the feedback but WiFi being down does not stop hue lights being controlled by the dimmer switch. Have a hue setup already and can confirm this.

Yes I get that but still would be needed either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭dam099

What if Hue shuts up shop in a few years? Plenty of examples of Smart Home products being abandoned when no longer suiting the manufacturer to support them anymore.

Hue are probably the leader so maybe not that likely in the near term and they do work locally but if discontinued eventually you would have issues sourcing new bulbs, replacing the hub if it breaks etc. Better to have wiring for a fall back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I guess you need the Hue hub and then have all Hue bulbs and this will allow you to dim them?

Yeah you need the hub and bulbs. This will turn them on/off, you can dim and you can set a few different scenes.

This has been discussed a few times in other threads on here and I have just gone through a renovation where I faced the same question. There is no easy answer unfortunately. As I understand it, all electrical fittings have to have an isolation switch readily available - this is why you are seeing these banks of switches in modern kitchen as all the appliances that aren't easily unplugged have to have a switch. So I'd say just even from the regs point of view, you are going to need switches somewhere in the same room as the lights.

The problem with switches is that people turn them on and off, which isn't what you want when you have wireless lighting. You can get wireless switches that emit a signal to turn on/off the lights but then they aren't connected to the wiring and don't serve as isolation switches. You can also get smart switches that are wired and will allow non smart lights to be turned on/off either manually or via a wireless signal (and will update status if done manually). There are two issues with these - the big one is that for the most part they only allow on and off - no dimming and definitely no ambiance/colour changing. The second issue is that not all are actual isolation switches - some of the ones you can get from China don't require a neutral at the switch and are actually allowing a trickle feed through the circuit in the off position, to power the wireless part of the switch. All very dodgy from a regs point of view. Eventually I think what will happen is that either people will start to put isolation switches out of the way and non-wired wireless switches in the normal switch locations - or the powers that be will set out a standard for a wired/wireless switch where the main switch just sends out a normal signal but there is some mechanism on the switch to actually do a proper electrical off when required. But we are not there yet!

In my case, I just let the electrician do his thing, the only concession to the fact the whole will actually be hue is that there are no dimmer switches anywhere and that every switch has neutral at it to allow for possible smart switches in the future. I'm now looking at ways of hiding the switches from public view, possibly under art work. All a little messy, but it is where we are at at the moment.

Good info here. What I've done in my current house is remove the switches, join the cables to allow permanent power to the light and replaster to make the hue dimmers fit correctly to the wall without gaps.

In the new house I'll have the cables run (some good points here), but I'll ask the sparks to not fit the switches and leave the wires ties behind where I'll place the hue switch. Can always cut the wall open later. I'll suggest the sparks fit a low amp RCD as there will be very low draw to the hue bulbs.

Apologies if I hijacked the thread!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

In the past two weeks, I've had my Hue dimmer switches fail a number of times. They don't seem to be connecting, perhaps some interference with the mesh network. The point being, I was glad that I still had the physical switch available to use as a backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

dam099 wrote: »
    What if Hue shuts up shop in a few years? Plenty of examples of Smart Home products being abandoned when no longer suiting the manufacturer to support them anymore.

Hue are probably the leader so maybe not that likely in the near term and they do work locally but if discontinued eventually you would have issues sourcing new bulbs, replacing the hub if it breaks etc. Better to have wiring for a fall back.

Philips aren't going anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

bk wrote: »
    In the past two weeks, I've had my Hue dimmer switches fail a number of times. They don't seem to be connecting, perhaps some interference with the mesh network. The point being, I was glad that I still had the physical switch available to use as a backup.

You can change the ZigBee channel of the hue bridge, I had to do it before. If it happens you again it's the first thing you should do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

dam099 wrote: »

Hue is based on an open standard (zigbee) and you can get alternative hubs that work with their bulbs to give you control.

Plus even if hue shut down the hub should continue to work but you might lose app and remote control.

Good info here. What I've done in my current house is remove the switches, join the cables to allow permanent power to the light and replaster to make the hue dimmers fit correctly to the wall without gaps.

In the new house I'll have the cables run (some good points here), but I'll ask the sparks to not fit the switches and leave the wires ties behind where I'll place the hue switch. Can always cut the wall open later. I'll suggest the sparks fit a low amp RCD as there will be very low draw to the hue bulbs.

Apologies if I hijacked the thread!

Sparks will be reluctant to do so given building regs we did similar with some lights I wasn’t sure if we wanted or not. We put cables in to add them in the future but but terminated them closed and plastered over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Have been waiting for Arlo Cameras to come down in price suitably so that I could get two outdoor cameras (pro 2) with a base station and audio doorbell, to go with the indoor camera I already have... All without subscriptions...

However, I bought a two pack of Blinks (€162) today for less that half the price of Arlo... Already having buyers remorse... Please tell me I did the right thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Have been waiting for Arlo Cameras to come down in price suitably so that I could get two outdoor cameras (pro 2) with a base station and audio doorbell, to go with the indoor camera I already have... All without subscriptions...

However, I bought a two pack of Blinks (€162) today for less that half the price of Arlo... Already having buyers remorse... Please tell me I did the right thing...

I have 4 of the original blinks. They are great. I got them on multiple different deals, and haven't regretted it at all.

The notifications are super fast and the quality is brilliant. If you have the sensetivity high and the camera in a high traffic area, you may need to replace the batteries every couple of weeks/months, but other than that they are brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

From bargain alerts - https://store.google.com/gb/

Google Black Friday preview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

From bargain alerts - https://store.google.com/gb/

Google Black Friday preview

Was just looking a home hub about 75 Euro I'll have to pick one up now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭donny

nigwerwig wrote: »
    Was just looking a home hub about 75 Euro I'll have to pick one up now

What's the best way to order from the GB store? Will a parcel Wizard address in NI work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭nigwerwig

donny wrote: »
    What's the best way to order from the GB store? Will a parcel Wizard address in NI work?

Yeah I get a hello last year from the UK site it did take a few goes to get the order to go through if I recall but it did work and I mini at another time

• Advertisement

I'm looking for Arlo Pro 2, set of two. If anyone sees any good black Friday deals, please let me know.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm looking for Arlo Pro 2, set of two. If anyone sees any good black Friday deals, please let me know.

Am considering buying from amazon.com & just popping a three pin plug on... There a plug the base station available on the UK site...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

3 colour bulbs and the Phillips Hue hub for £69!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01K1WP7Z4/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_he61DbT83HF8W

Jasus I love Black Friday!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

BigAl81 wrote: »
    3 colour bulbs and the Phillips Hue hub for £69!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01K1WP7Z4/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_he61DbT83HF8W

Jasus I love Black Friday!!

and that's for B22, E27 or GU10

Best price I've ever seen them! (they were £90 on Black Friday 2 years ago)

The only real bargain seems to be on starter kits, so it's a big push from Philips/Amazon to get more folks on board the mighty ship Hue!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

Was toying between a ring / nest doorbell for our new house for the new year, picked up the nest on the UK store this morning along with a Home and Nest Mini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

and that's for B22, E27 or GU10

Best price I've ever seen them! (they were £90 on Black Friday 2 years ago)

The only real bargain seems to be on starter kits, so it's a big push from Philips/Amazon to get more folks on board the mighty ship Hue!!

Yeah where are the deals for us already adopters :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

I wanted to but the starter pack because of the price and then thought where will i put it, all bulbs are already hue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Deals on the Hue Outdoor as well for those with a full house...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Worth noting that CEX buy the Hue bridge for €12 in case anyone ends up with a spare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭THE ALM

seems a good deal on the Nest Hello

THE ALM wrote: »

I had just seen this a few minutes ago after me ordering from the Google store earlier this morning. Seems a really good price.

THE ALM wrote: »

Nice! Ordered, it is the one area that I don't think I'll be able to avoid Google/Amazon privacy issues, there just isn't a good Home Assistant video doorbell solution yet. So this will do for the time being. Great price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Nice! Ordered, it is the one area that I don't think I'll be able to avoid Google/Amazon privacy issues, there just isn't a good Home Assistant video doorbell solution yet. So this will do for the time being. Great price :)

Tempted myself but the installation and fees are a bit off putting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

Is it worth the extra over the Ring peephole at £120 on Amazon? Ring is the handiest option for me to fit and fitted in centre of door seems like a good location though I’ll only have half my driveway covered by it. Door is recessed in a porch. Having the Nest to one side and slightly angled will give much better coverage. Don’t have a door bell transformer. Would probably use a plug in one and I’ll need to drill through a Palladio door frame.

Nest definitely is better reviewed and has better features but not sure if it’s worth the extra cost and hassle of installing. We are a google household though don’t have any Echo’s so it may well be worth it.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭EletricMan

AstraMonti wrote: »

Anyone know how hard they are to conceal, it seems the new units are of a different design?

I purchased 2 earlier without the extension for 55. Think I'll cancel and order two of these as they're cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

EletricMan wrote: »
    Anyone know how hard they are to conceal, it seems the new units are of a different design?

It's hard enough to find a profile wide enough to fit these in, if you find, let me know as I am interested too.

Im done with hue strips. 7 different transformers and 4 strips, 1 combination doesn’t have a horrible whine

So will there be better deals on actual black Friday????

• Advertisement
Advertisement