Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

bk wrote: »
    Netgear Nighthawk R7800 for £120 on Amazon on deal of that day.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Dual-Band-AC2600-Router/dp/B01B4X503S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540299210&sr=8-1&keywords=r7800

Absolutely excellent router that I use myself and very good price for it.

Not directly a Home Automation bargain. But if you get into HA and end up with lots of devices, you will quickly discover that ISP supplied routers struggle with lots of devices connected,specially if you are doing lots of IP camera streaming. A good quality router like the above is a most IMO for folks getting into HA tech.

Having said that, it seems it does support some voice commands with both Google Home and Alexa.

Cheers for the heads up. Would this work with Eir - fibre from cabinet?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jones wrote: »
    Cheers for the heads up. Would this work with Eir - fibre from cabinet?

Yep, stick the Eir modem into Bridge mode. Google "Eir F2000 Bridge mode" for an article about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

There is a Philips hue promotion on amazon Italy. Buy 2 items, get 50% off the cheaper of the two. (Until November 04th)

https://www.amazon.it/gp/promotion/A1860A9EDN90TP?ref_=plp_pc_dp_imp_A1860A9EDN90TP&refasin=B0148NMVQA

Mostly E27, but might be something there for someone. The best I could see was 4 meters of light strip for 93 euro delivered to Ireland.

Also, the indoor nest cam is GBP 125 on amazon UK. I have this and really like it, but it does require a subscription if you want to view the video history.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nest-Cam-Indoor-security-camera/dp/B00ZC5FNFU?SubscriptionId=AKIAJ7T5BOVUVRD2EFYQ&tag=camelcamelcam-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00ZC5FNFU

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

bk wrote: »
    Netgear Nighthawk R7800 for £120 on Amazon on deal of that day.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Dual-Band-AC2600-Router/dp/B01B4X503S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1540299210&sr=8-1&keywords=r7800

Absolutely excellent router that I use myself and very good price for it.

Not directly a Home Automation bargain. But if you get into HA and end up with lots of devices, you will quickly discover that ISP supplied routers struggle with lots of devices connected,specially if you are doing lots of IP camera streaming. A good quality router like the above is a most IMO for folks getting into HA tech.

Having said that, it seems it does support some voice commands with both Google Home and Alexa.

cheers, have finally lost patience with the POS eir router, only switched to EIR 6 months ago, before that had sky, for all the criticism of the sky router with it and another access point on the same SSID i had wireless coverage all over the house and never had to reboot. with the stupid eir router none of the wireless devices will autoswitch to the stronger accesspoint, i constantly have to reboot the router due to no connection, and when i do it may take 3 or 4 reboots before it reconnects and when it does it takes 40 to 50 minutes after a reboot.

so picked one of these up yesterday, will stick the eir router in bridge mode and hopefully be done with it

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Super deal on Amazon Spain. Four colour bulbs (2018 model), hub and dimmer switch for €119.

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B07DM4XWG4

Similar to this but better again.

5x Colour Bulbs, Hub and Dimmer for £122. Look for the promotional message to get 5 bulbs instead of 3.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0748MY3RX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Qqn0Bb68SK42T

Edit: seems the offer is adding two GU10s to the basket. Remove those, add the double pack of the richer colour bulbs and go the whole way to checkout to see the discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭j_lennon18

5x Colour Bulbs, Hub and Dimmer for £122. Look for the promotional message to get 5 bulbs instead of 3.

Edit: seems the offer is adding two GU10s to the basket. Remove those, add the double pack of the richer colour bulbs and go the whole way to checkout to see the discount.

Looks like they just upped the price to £139. I'm still waiting on a good starter pack deal on the Hue B22. Best now is 5x colour, hub & dimmer for £164 (€186) if you add this & this. £245.97 - £81.99 (discount) = £163.98

j_lennon18 wrote: »
    Looks like they just upped the price to £139. I'm still waiting on a good starter pack deal on the Hue B22. Best now is 5x colour, hub & dimmer for £164 (€186) if you add this & this. £245.97 - £81.99 (discount) = £163.98

Buy the E22 and get a 40c adapter in IKEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭RonTon

Cancelled order from amazon Spain and ordered this ,nice offer ...
    Tyty .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭frash

RonTon wrote: »
    Cancelled order from amazon Spain and ordered this ,nice offer ...
    Tyty .

I tried to cancel my Spanish order but couldn't even though it hasn't shipped.

It says:
    "A discounted lot can not be canceled after a part has been sent."

Thing is it hasn't been sent

Buy the E22 and get a 40c adapter in IKEA.

Was thinking that or just replace fittings as E27 seems like the way its going.

Looks like its back down to £122 (typical Amazon price fluctuations). Very tempted now!!

• Advertisement

Was thinking that or just replace fittings as E27 seems like the way its going. Looks like its back down to £122 (typical Amazon price fluctuations). Very tempted now!!

Gooooooooo Onnnnnnnnn :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,867 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Was thinking that or just replace fittings as E27 seems like the way its going.

Looks like its back down to £122 (typical Amazon price fluctuations). Very tempted now!!

Alot of the newer houses I've looked at this year are coming with the bayonet fitting.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Gooooooooo Onnnnnnnnn :pac:

I just pulled the trigger :D

I went with the E27 starter set but for the free twin pack I picked the B22 so that I don't have to use an adaptor (or change fittings) in all places so seems best of both worlds.

It was too cheap to pass up. If you say the hub & dimmer is about ~£50 then the 5 bulbs are working out only £14-15 each. On their own they usually go for £35-£50.

I currently have 3 existing B22 Hive white lights so now all I need to do is figure out where to put the 5 new ones and which ones to use the adaptors on. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭RonTon

frash wrote: »
    I tried to cancel my Spanish order but couldn't even though it hasn't shipped.

It says:
    "A discounted lot can not be canceled after a part has been sent."

Thing is it hasn't been sent

I got 2 emails from amazon Spain directly after cancellation,1 said can’t cancel and second one said order cancelled , so I presume I’m good , I checked on order status in app and it’s says cancelled ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

Sorry I subscribed here.

So painful....

Anyone need a spare bridge? :pac:

RonTon wrote: »
    I got 2 emails from amazon Spain directly after cancellation,1 said can’t cancel and second one said order cancelled , so I presume I’m good , I checked on order status in app and it’s says cancelled ...

i didn't get any emails so I reckon I'm stuck with the Spanish order

limnam wrote: »
    Sorry I subscribed here.

So painful....

Anyone need a spare bridge? :pac:

You'll flog it on Adverts fairly quickly. I've sold two there before. If not and you want to get rid CEX will give you €17 cash or €24 voucher.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Alot of the newer houses I've looked at this year are coming with the bayonet fitting.

It doesn't really make any sense. With Britain going Brexit, we will literally be the only country in the EU still using B22! The rest of Europe long went E27.

E27 is a better fitting IMO, screw it in, much more secure then the lose B22 fittings, safer with kids around.

Also it is getting much harder to get any B22 lamps, fittings, bulbs, etc. So few countries use it now, it isn't worth it for the Chinese manufacturers. Try buying a B22 lamp in Ikea, nope, the only B22 product they sell is the B22 converter.

Hell even the US uses E26, Bayonet is such an oddity.

I'd recommend anyone doing a new build or renovation to go E27, E14 and GU10 for spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Is anyone using adaptors with hue bulbs? I got some of the e27 bulbs along with some E14 and b22 adaptors and the hue app isn't picking up the lights.

Edit: Was able to find them using the serial number option

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Thanks :). I have been contemplating these for a while and finally bit the bullet yesterday. It was a no-brainer at that price.

Its hard trying to convince the OH about smart controls in the house :D.
    But I did manage to convert her and get the smart heating climote installed which is great.

Bit by bit I will get the bulbs and convert existing light switches with the Hue dimmer switches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭limnam

T
    Its hard trying to convince the OH about smart controls in the house :D.
    But I did manage to convert her and get the smart heating climote installed which is great.

Bit by bit I will get the bulbs and convert existing light switches with the Hue dimmer switches

Put the savings in shoes.

She'll be convinced. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

limnam wrote: »
    Put the savings in shoes.

She'll be convinced. :pac:

as me Gran used to say (God rest her) ..'many a true word said in a joke' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I just pulled the trigger :D

I went with the E27 starter set but for the free twin pack I picked the B22 so that I don't have to use an adaptor (or change fittings) in all places so seems best of both worlds.

It was too cheap to pass up. If you say the hub & dimmer is about ~£50 then the 5 bulbs are working out only £14-15 each. On their own they usually go for £35-£50.

I currently have 3 existing B22 Hive white lights so now all I need to do is figure out where to put the 5 new ones and which ones to use the adaptors on. :pac:

Am I correct in thinking that this is possibly the best deal on these bulbs and unlikely to be beaten even around black friday? (No indication of when the offer is over...)

edit - actually, i don't think these are bright enough for where i was going to put them...800 lumens sounds low?

ablelocks wrote: »
    edit - actually, i don't think these are bright enough for where i was going to put them...800 lumens sounds low?

Roughly equivalent to an old style 60w bulb:

https://clark.com/technology/lightbulbs-watt-to-lumen-conversion-chart/

Pretty decent, but depends on what you need.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I tried to cancel my order on Amazon Spain to get the UK deal but it didn't seem to go through so I didn't order the 1 in the UK, hopefully I don't get landed with nothing now. The sensors from Amazon Italy have shipped though so that's something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭ablelocks

there are 2 kits available as used - very good* from the amazon warehouse at £88'ish. (You can't get the free twin pack though)

*Small (less than 1/4" x 1/4") cosmetic imperfection on the front of the item. Item will come in original packaging. Packaging will be damaged. «

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I haven't posted here in a while as I simply haven't been looking at/for any more Hue bulbs as I've been at about 115% capacity for the last few months, so don't need any!

I just saw the colour GU10's are down to £36.93 on Amazon U.K. which is a great price for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭Soarer

Are the Hue GU10s bright? The specs say 300lm.

I use a couple of Lohas GU10s as droplights out the front of the house, and having them on red last night for Halloween, the effect was great but wasn't very bright. And they're listed as 430lm.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Soarer wrote: »
    Are the Hue GU10s bright? The specs say 300lm.

I use a couple of Lohas GU10s as droplights out the front of the house, and having them on red last night for Halloween, the effect was great but wasn't very bright. And they're listed as 430lm.

I've 10 of them in my kitchen, and 4 on the landing, and they are more than adequate.

the 10 in the kitchen replaced 12v 50w bulbs, and are effectively a like for like replacement.

• Advertisement

I've 10 of them in my kitchen, and 4 on the landing, and they are more than adequate.

the 10 in the kitchen replaced 12v 50w bulbs, and are effectively a like for like replacement.

At £36.93 (or whatever you paid) per bulb that's a big outlay for 14 bulbs.

I know they're cheaper to run but do you think they're worth it?
    Asking as I've also for 10 in one room, 6 in another & 4 in another.

Advertisement