Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Girls don't cycle! Guess whos fault it is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

beejee wrote: »
    I didn't read that, but I still see nothing coming of verbal stuff, cameras or not.

You think the guards wouldn't take sexual comments aimed at children seriously? Do you think they'd ignore racial abuse if it was presented to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I love the suggestion that men, and she means ALL men need to be educated not to sexually harass school girls on bikes.

I mean, before her article we all that it was perfectly acceptable to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If only there were people involved in the upbringing of children who could show by their own behaviour that it is not acceptable to shout at strangers in the street.

Parenting. The answer to most of society's ills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Sardonicat wrote: »
    You think the guards wouldn't take sexual comments aimed at children seriously? Do you think they'd ignore racial abuse if it was presented to them?

On a regular basis by the same person? Maybe.

Random person as a once off? Not a snowballs chance in hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,440 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

cnocbui wrote: »
    The anti helmet thing of a lot of cyclists on boards is ridiculous. Australia introduced compulsory helmet wearing and the rate of head injuries declined by almost 70%. Anti-helmeters are thick, and even thicker after they get their deserved head injury.

Presumably you wear a helmet at all times in the car, given that far more head injuries occur in cars than on bikes, even with seat belts and airbags etc?

The shower and the stairs are pretty dangerous too, so you might want to consider wearing a helmet there too.

You might want to look at how Australia managed to decimate the numbers of people cycling with their mandatory helmet laws, and the cost of this on their transport network, their health service and the climate emissions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Reminds me of that scene from Withnail & I (made in the 80s, set in the 60s) when they're driving through London and Withnail starts shouting "Slappers!" at a pair of girls in their uniforms. That kind of thing wasn't just made up for the movie.

Reminds me of that scene from Withnail & I (made in the 80s, set in the 60s) when they're driving through London and Withnail starts shouting "Slappers!" at a pair of girls in their uniforms. That kind of thing wasn't just made up for the movie.

Sure I remember another film, and this person calls another person a naughty word!!

Hard to believe, but it was probably based on reality too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

I'm a female cyclist and have been lucky enough to not be groped but have had some weird and aggressive encounters with drivers, pedestrians and other cyclists which have made me toughen up and be ready to shout back at somebody if needs be.

None of this really puts me off cycling though, it's absolutely more a vanity thing where I'm lucky enough to have showers in my office and we dress pretty casually anyway but I still hate those mornings where it's lashing rain and I consider how much comfier it would be to sit in my car and sip coffee in traffic even if it is going to take twice as long.

Once I do get on the bike it's actually grand and I always feel so much better for doing it but I can see how women in particular would be put off when it comes to hair / make-up / clothes etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sure I remember another film, and this person calls another person a naughty word!!

Hard to believe, but it was probably based on reality too :p

Art imitating life, and shining a spotlight on society's ills. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You want to get girls/women cycling again. If enough old (and young) pervs were publicly prosecuted you wouldn't be long seeing a drop off in incidents.

Really, if a black lad was harassed on his way to school based on the colour of his skin would your response be"teach black kids more emotional resilience"?

But a girl must learn to live with gawking, commenting, arse slapping , hearing what some git would like to do to her, /wouldn't do to her, because of her body? Ah sure, that's OK cos men are more likely to be attacked.

if a black lad was harassed on his way to school my advice wouldnt be to compound the injury by missing out on one of the simple pleasures of life.

• Advertisement

if a black lad was harassed on his way to school my advice wouldnt be to compound the injury by missing out on one of the simple pleasures of life.

I didn't ask you what your response wouldn't be.

I didn't ask you what your response wouldn't be.
    i'm afraid you dont get to control what i say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Really, if a black lad was harassed on his way to school based on the colour of his skin would your response be"teach black kids more emotional resilience"?

Some people think the solution would be to lay the blame for it at the door of all white people. World's a funny place.

Just like me. I also removed my brakes so as I could get through red lights quicker (motivation), and then sellotaped my eyes closed so I couldn't see dangerous things and be worried.

Much better now for everyone

I love when you can see them rolling down their window and shouting, but all you see is a mouth moving. I just smile and wave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

I love when you can see them rolling down their window and shouting, but all you see is a mouth moving. I just smile and wave.
    You mean you take at least 1 hand off the handlebars aswell? You are a menace partyjungle!

Same for me. When I've caused a human catastrophe and there's blood and gore and dead children hanging out of lampposts and women impaled on railings and pregnant mothers smashed through engine grills and puppies decapitated and activists crying and elderly men confused and pigeons screaming and frozen food thawing in bags held by the cold hands of mashed aul wan's,

I see all that as I'm stretchered into the ambulance and I just smile and wave too.

This is one the tropes that are thrown around by the cyclist lobby. Essentially it boils down to "helmets / hi vis doesn't look cool so we shouldn't have to wear it" - a nonsense reason for not using proven safety gear of course. No different whatsoever from a driver refusing to use a seat belt because it's not 'cool'.

Except that it's completely different to car seat belts, for a number of reasons, particularly the speed and momentum involved in car crashes, the frequency of deaths and serious injuries in car crashes, and the evidence base around the benefits of seat belts for car passengers.

But if you are a big fan of helmets, please make sure that you wear one at all times in the car yourself, given that the vast majority of head injuries happen in cars, even when occupants are wearing seat belts and have airbags and more. Why would you not wear a helmet in the car - because it's not cool?

Hi vis (by which I'm presuming you refer to fluorescent jackets etc, rather than reflective gear) uses colour wavelengths which the human eye is most sensitive to - just because some cyclists feel it's uncool doesn't mean it doesn't work. Your car quip is also much beloved of the usual Boards cyclist brigade - a car of course is bigger and faster moving and therefore much more easily discerned by the human brain (which is attuned to movement) and of course the driver is far less vulnerable than a cyclist (especially those who refuse to take responsibility for their own safety by eschewing helmets etc). All cars in the EU are now required to be equipped with daytime running lights which of courses enhances visibility - much like hi vis.

How exactly does cars moving faster make them more visible? Wouldn't that make them less visible?

Your trust in DRLs is slightly naive. Given the number of drivers who don't know how to use them and end up driving round in the dark with no back lights, surely there is a strong case for hi-vis stripes on all sides of all cars?

And given the strong evidence of that bright colour cars have less crashes, why the hell do we let people buy black and navy cars in the first place?
    https://adm.monash.edu/records-archives/archives/memo-archive/2004-2007/stories/20070613/black-cars.html

Same for me. When I've caused a human catastrophe and there's blood and gore and dead children hanging out of lampposts and women impaled on railings and pregnant mothers smashed through engine grills and puppies decapitated and activists crying and elderly men confused and pigeons screaming and frozen food thawing in bags held by the cold hands of mashed aul wan's,

I see all that as I'm stretchered into the ambulance and I just smile and wave too.

I'm not sure who's trolling who here

i'm afraid you dont get to control what i say

I don't want control. I can take it you don't want your hypocrisy revealed by answering.

You sound like you hate men .

Sounds to me like they hate men who harass teenage girls.

• Advertisement

I don't want control. I can take it you don't want your hypocrisy revealed by answering.
    ok i would say "that's terrible, are you ok? its a real shame that people like that exist". What would you say?

I would like to see road safety statistics that not only show the number of pedestrians and cyclists killed but also what vehicle killed them. That might change the mentality that cycling is dangerous and motorists are blameless.
    Are you suggesting that cyclists and pedestrians are regularly killing people on the road here?

ok i would say "that's terrible, are you ok? its a real shame that people like that exist". What would you say?
    That wasn't my question, though, was it? Your fudging would make Bojo blush.

Never read such BS. Nobody makes anybody wear high-vis or helmets

Parents and some schools mandate such things, in their misguided attempts to improve safety - when they actually need to be addressing the root causes - dangerous drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Presumably you wear a helmet at all times in the car, given that far more head injuries occur in cars than on bikes, even with seat belts and airbags etc?

The shower and the stairs are pretty dangerous too, so you might want to consider wearing a helmet there too.

You might want to look at how Australia managed to decimate the numbers of people cycling with their mandatory helmet laws, and the cost of this on their transport network, their health service and the climate emissions.

You are right, I was being completely wrong headed about this. it's blindingly obvious to me now, thanks to your insightful comments, that, construction workers, skiers, motorcyclists and cyclists should all stop wearing any form of head protection because it clearly has more negative than positive consequences. Thanks for setting me straight on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

We should ban cycling - problem solved.

That wasn't my question, though, was it? Your fudging would make Bojo blush.
    ok, i've gone back to your most interesting question;

"Really, if a black lad was harassed on his way to school based on the colour of his skin would your response be"teach black kids more emotional resilience"?"

My answer to that is, no i wouldnt, because no one's suggesting black kids dont cycle or go to school due to a fear of harassment. Either they are not being harassed en masse or if they are, they already possess the resilience to cope with it.

Bondetf wrote: »
    I've seen more dangerous cycling that dangerous driving on our roads.

I don't believe you.

That's slightly inconsistent with every bit of road safety statistics that shows that motorists are killing 2 or 3 people each week on the roads and maiming many more, while cyclists aren't.

We have four out of five drivers breaking speed limits. We have the majority of motorists using their phones while driving. We have the vast majority of red light jumpers being motorists. Let me know if you need sources to confirm any of these claims.

Perhaps you need to up your game on observation.

• Advertisement

Your Face wrote: »
    We should ban cycling - problem solved.
    Interesting idea - what do you think happens to traffic when the 56k people that cycle into Dublin each day switch back to their cars or to our near capacity public transport system?

cnocbui wrote: »

You are right, I was being completely wrong headed about this. it's blindingly obvious to me now, thanks to your insightful comments, that, construction workers, skiers, motorcyclists and cyclists should all stop wearing any form of head protection because it clearly has more negative than positive consequences. Thanks for setting me straight on that.
    So why don't you wear a helmet in the car?

Interesting idea - what do you think happens to traffic when the 56k people that cycle into Dublin each day switch back to their cars or to our near capacity public transport system?

They will finally be real grown-ups.

I would buy the incessant abuse from men as the primary reason IF girls otherwise played sports or were physically active. However the vast majority of girls do no sports or physical activity once they hit secondary school. Even in single sex schools. I have 2 daughters ... I know this well.

Ironically they were all out today protesting climate change, then being collected by mommy in the BMW X5.

So that's not good enough.

Cycle to school with some lads of the same age maybe ???? They can tell the creeps to F off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

You created a new profile to talk sh*t in this thread, jog on

ok, i've gone back to your most interesting question;

"Really, if a black lad was harassed on his way to school based on the colour of his skin would your response be"teach black kids more emotional resilience"?"

My answer to that is, no i wouldnt, because no one's suggesting black kids dont cycle or go to school due to a fear of harassment. Either they are not being harassed en masse or if they are, they already possess the resilience to cope with it.

Did you miss the 'if'?

• Advertisement

And groups of cyclists take it to extremes.
    I am a cyclist and am appalled by the attitude of some cyclists, mainly club cyclists, or training groups.
    What attitudes would these be - the attitude that they have the same right to use the road as anyone else? Or that their journey is just as important as anyone else?

That's slightly inconsistent with every bit of road safety statistics that shows that motorists are killing 2 or 3 people each week on the roads and maiming many more, while cyclists aren't.

We have four out of five drivers breaking speed limits. We have the majority of motorists using their phones while driving. We have the vast majority of red light jumpers being motorists. Let me know if you need sources to confirm any of these claims.

I once saw a cyclist crash into a double decker bus full of nuns. Instant, painful death for all. Except the cyclist who rode away twirling his moustache in glee.

And I see it regularly. Nun buses up and down the country being wiped out by cyclists.

I have vhs tapes of every incident stashed away, happy to share if you cover post, packing and a harmless gratuity to cover other expenses

Did you miss the 'if'?

Did you miss the "but"?

Did you miss the 'if'?
    "if" the harassment were causing him to not cycle to school, then yes i would say that bad things happen to good people and you cant live in fear waiting for a bubble wrapped utopia. By all means fight the harassers by any means necessary but dont let them win by rolling over.

Your Face wrote: »

They will finally be real grown-ups.
    You seem to be avoiding the question about the impact of another 50k cars on the road. Would you like to revisit that please?

And perhaps you could explain why doubling your risk of heart disease and near doubling your risk of cancer is 'growing up'?

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2017/0828/900502-the-health-benefits-of-cycling-to-work-are-staggering/

Are people really that petty and small minded that they are impressed by car ownership?

• Advertisement

"if" the harassment were causing him to not cycle to school, then yes i would say that bad things happen to good people and you cant live in fear waiting for a bubble wrapped utopia. By all means fight the harassers by any means necessary but dont let them win by rolling over.

So you don't think racial harassment should be prosecuted? Or you do think sexual harassment should be? I'm a little unclear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

You seem to be avoiding the question about the impact of another 50k cars on the road. Would you like to revisit that please?

And perhaps you could explain why doubling your risk of heart disease and near doubling your risk of cancer is 'growing up'?

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2017/0828/900502-the-health-benefits-of-cycling-to-work-are-staggering/

Are people really that petty and small minded that they are impressed by car ownership?

Do you search Boards for every thread that has any mention of bikes? You seem to be routinely arriving in threads about bikes to make them into a bikes V everybody else on the road argument

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's all pretty mealy-mouthed, frankly.

And convenient that it doesn't require you (and by that I mean society in general) to have to do anything or change your behaviour.

So you don't think racial harassment should be prosecuted? Or you do think sexual harassment should be? I'm a little unclear.
    of course racial harassment should be dealt with according to whatever the laws are!!! the point is that if you are waiting for enforcement of laws to remove every bit of harassment and unpleasantness from life, you'll end up doing nothing and living in fear. Thousands of women cycle to school and work every day in Ireland despite the apparent onslaught of abuse they receive so i would say that resilience is not an irrelevant question here.

of course racial harassment should be dealt with according to whatever the laws are!!! the point is that if you are waiting for enforcement of laws to remove every bit of harassment and unpleasantness from life, you'll end up doing nothing and living in fear. Thousands of women cycle to school and work every day in Ireland despite the apparent onslaught of abuse they receive so i would say that resilience is not an irrelevant question here.
    So sexual harassment shouldn't be prosecuted?

seamus wrote: »
    That's all pretty mealy-mouthed, frankly.

And convenient that it doesn't require you (and by that I mean society in general) to have to do anything or change your behaviour.

ok what would you say to the black lad in the other posters hypothetical situation?

I would buy the incessant abuse from men as the primary reason IF girls otherwise played sports or were physically active. However the vast majority of girls do no sports or physical activity once they hit secondary school. Even in single sex schools. I have 2 daughters ... I know this well.

Ironically they were all out today protesting climate change, then being collected by mommy in the BMW X5.

So that's not good enough.

Cycle to school with some lads of the same age maybe ???? They can tell the creeps to F off.
    Have a look at the website of Muckross, the school that the girls in the RTE News clip come from and look at the breadth of sports that they're involved with. And that doesn't include the numbers who are also playing hurling or football for their GAA Club, or swimming or gymnastics or many of the other activities that teenage girls do.
    http://mail.muckrossparkcollege.com/index.php/gallery/sports-gallery-2016

My teen that was at the protest today is on the way home on the Luas now with the mates, so you might want to keep your sneering for those who actually deserve it.

Do you search Boards for every thread that has any mention of bikes? You seem to be routinely arriving in threads about bikes to make them into a bikes V everybody else on the road argument
    Yes. Yes I do.

Is there anything in what I said that you'd like to contradict?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Yes, motorists kill cyclists, that is an inevitable outcome of the physics of a car hitting a bicycle.

What I don't understand are the kamikaze-type cyclists who break the rules of the road, take unbelievable risks and put themselves into trouble.

If a car breaks the rules of the road, the consequences of the risk to the driver are low. However, when a cyclist takes a risk and breaks the rules of the road, whether by cycling through a red light, up the wrong way of a one-way street, in-between slow-moving cars etc. the consequences of the risk are extremely damaging. The benefits are at most a minute of two saved on a journey.

It just baffles me why some cyclists take these risks. Standing at traffic lights having got off a bus and watching this behaviour makes me wonder about their sanity. For every cyclist that behaves rationally and carefully, there seem to be another one that is behaving in a kamikaze fashion. And I haven't even talked about the ones in dark clothing and no lights on their bike on a badly-lit road in winter rain!

Human behaviour is what it is. Normal humans will take risks - speeding, on their phone when driving - when the consequences to themselves are low. Such is human nature.

• Advertisement
Advertisement