Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

My grandfather had a very low opinion of his local parish priest back in the 40's.It didn't affect his business.
    Non of the villagers boycotted him and, yes everybody including the priest knew what those opinions were.

There were boycotts of Protestant shops in Wexford at the request of the local priest, who wanted the shop keepers - a mixed marriage couple - to bring up their child as Catholic.

On the whole though the self employed were and are freer to speak their mind than other groups. A teacher who voiced unfavourable opinions the priest or bishop would be reprimanded and possibly lose a job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

Come on u cant really suggest this would be the case.... more like...If they had condemned him in their native Dallas, they would have been blown over up in a day or two.

People at the time, went nuts, because they had condemned Bush outside the country and not at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I got called a facist in Insomnia, Naas the other day.

Myself and gf had run dwn from Monread. My gold plated cross chain had popped out of my vest and was displaying.
    That cross means everything to me.

*Mod Snip - no need for that*

I really felt like breaking his jaw into smithereens but I didn't because I've learned how to control my emotions in the past months.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It was an argument over right of way in a queue.
    Christ I had too hold myself. I would taken a Sec 3 assault charge for the cnut in my younger days.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It took every fibre in my being to halt from chinning him.

Ugh, even thinking of the weedy little steamer gets me mad.

Should have clocked the cnut.
    A little confusion over who's next in a queue is hardly worth getting worked up about. No really selling the idea you were in the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Flat whites matter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Smashing his jaw would be perfectly acceptable

'Course it would..

I got called a facist in Insomnia, Naas the other day.

Myself and gf had run dwn from Monread. My gold plated cross chain had popped out of my vest and was displaying.
    That cross means everything to me.
    *Mod Snip - no need for that*

I really felt like breaking his jaw into smithereens but I didn't because I've learned how to control my emotions in the past months.

Why fascist? The cross?

Why fascist? The cross?

Sounds like it's fuk all to do with the cross and more to do with feeling entitled enough to go around threatening to batter the sh!t out of people over a queue argument.

Hard to tell what happened really except the OP is angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Reminds me of a cafe across the road from work

One day last October, I strolled over to grab a latte. Had to order at the door due to restrictions in place. They were also accepting online orders for collection. The barista comes up to me and says latte? I said yes please, and she immediately launches into a rant most of which I couldn't decipher.

However, the gist of her tirade was about Trump. F**kin hell I thought, how has this chick seen by boards.ie posts. I stood there listening to her giving out, trying to work out how she knew about my growing appreciation for The Donald, when it became apparent she mistook me for another guy in the queue. He had ordered a latte for collection online and entered his name as ' Donald Trump ', clearly hoping she would shout across the café floor ' Latte for Donald Trump " - giving everyone in the queue a bit of a laugh. Taking the edge off the grim reality of boarded up shops up and down the street. Fair dues.

She was as woke as hell...short hair, recently dyed, sleeve tattoos, accent suggesting a recent Orts Degree from Trinners. He obviously thought he'd have a bit of craic with her. She got quite upset. And the weird thing was her manager, the cafe owner, another Woke person, nodded approvingly at her public indignation. Hang on I thought, aren't you supposed to treat paying customers a certain way? Apparently not. When the matter pertains to the tenets of Woke, good business sense takes a back seat.

Anyway, your man took his latte and headed up the road. The barista was quite emotional but apologized. No worries I said to her, could happen to anyone, kind of glad she hadn't seen my boards posts.

I still go over for a latte a few times a week but haven't seen 'Trump' since. In fairness, she's been very pleasant to me since.

Gotta be careful with baristas - its the job of choice for young wokies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

DEFTLEFTHAND don't post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Cordell

The two graphs will explain everything.

No no no we don't talk about these, really, they don't exist.

Biker79 wrote: »
    Reminds me of a cafe across the road from work

Hang on I thought, aren't you supposed to treat paying customers a certain way? Apparently not. When the matter pertains to the tenets of Woke, good business sense takes a back seat.

Someone who clearly believes that her opinions are more important than business etiquette when it comes to paying customers, but then again, many of the customers are quite likely woke as well. So there will not be any descenting voices.

They seem to have lost one customer, but kept the remainder including yourself.

That leaves the question, should people avoid going to businesses that offend them in this way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Someone who clearly believes that her opinions are more important than business etiquette when it comes to paying customers, but then again, many of the customers are quite likely woke as well. So there will not be any descenting voices.

That leaves the question, should people avoid going to businesses that offend them in this way?

I certainly wouldn't be going back.
    But crucially -and here's the massive difference between moralising wokesters and ordinary people - I wouldn't be going online or otherwise and trying to get the kip shutdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Once the coffee is good and they keep their views to themselves, it doesn't really matter.

The loss of that one customer may have resulted in the loss of several from his Office.

Not worth the risk, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

It is the year 2021.
    Let that sink in.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-56204865

545212.png

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    It is the year 2021.
    Let that sink in.

545212.png
    Without sounding too pedantic that should be "mothers to be", they're not mothers yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

It is the year 2021.
    Let that sink in.

545212.png

Brexit! It seems to me it is the Brits that stand alone in the world of common sense.

It seems to me they have given up an economic benefit from being an EU member to shield themselves from both US and EU post-modernist ideology.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Brexit! It seems to me it is the Brits that stand alone in the world of common sense.

It seems to me they have given up an economic benefit from being an EU member to shield themselves from both US and EU post-modernist ideology.

Rubbish. They've allowed heaps of woke nonsense to become established in their schools and universities, and the government itself has dipped it's fingers into that pit too.

They've made a few gestures against some aspects of wokeness.. but it's far too early to tell if they're actually aiming to embrace common sense.

Rubbish. They've allowed heaps of woke nonsense to become established in their schools and universities, and the government itself has dipped it's fingers into that pit too.

They've made a few gestures against some aspects of wokeness.. but it's far too early to tell if they're actually aiming to embrace common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It is the year 2021.
    Let that sink in.

545212.png

So abortion is murder now, right? :confused:

AllForIt wrote: »
    Vid

It's still to early to see whether they've embraced common sense. Woke sentiments were wholeheartedly embraced for years in the UK at all levels.

I'll wait and see. Boris and the rest of the British politicians aren't terribly reliable in what they say and do.

It's still to early to see whether they've embraced common sense. Woke sentiments were wholeheartedly embraced for years in the UK at all levels.

I'll wait and see. Boris and the rest of the British politicians aren't terribly reliable in what they say and do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohXxmD78ZCo

edit: Tory party against cancel culture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwH45WlpDoo

edit: evidence of anti-wokism in the Tory party. HoC contribution by female black Tory rubbishing BLM movement.

Speak. Discuss. I'm not going to click on youtube links. If I wanted that, I'd just stay on youtube and read the comments.

Speak. Discuss. I'm not going to click on youtube links. If I wanted that, I'd just stay on youtube and read the comments.

Fair enough. I've edited my posts to give some explanation to the links.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭randd1

Black Conservatives are called "Oreos" by Democrats, because they Black on the outside and White in the center.

Obama, Oprah Winfrey and Tiger Woods were called the same.

It seems either side in the US likes to throw out the Oreo insult to anyone who’s black and becomes rich/powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

To keep the wokes happy advanced classes are being dropped so everyone gets a bad education.

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1365905488207089672

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    To keep the wokes happy advanced classes are being dropped so everyone gets a bad education.

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/1365905488207089672

It's strange how two people can read the sane article and come to draw different conclusions.

I don't get the feeling this is some woke agenda being shoehorned into school policy.

• Advertisement

km991148 wrote: »
    It's strange how two people can read the sane article and come to draw different conclusions.

I don't get the feeling this is some woke agenda being shoehorned into school policy.

Whereas I saw the same as the OP:

"The program was open to all students in the Boston Public Schools who took a test known as Terra Nova in the third grade and received a high score. Those students were placed in a lottery conducted by the central administration office, and lottery winners received letters inviting them to apply to the program. Last fall, 453 students received invitations, 143 students applied and 116 enrolled this year, officials said."

That Black or Hispanic students received a low score is likely due to factors other than racism.. at least the article doesn't manage to establish any kind of discrimination, simply going by the statistics of those admitted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement