Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amber Heard admits to beating up Johnny Depp

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I don't believe we should be encouraging this "cancel culture", since it's something that can easily be applied badly (which it has). Her personal life should be separate from her career.

By all means, voice a disapproval of such behavior, but I really don't like this mob mentality. It's one of the reasons the internet has turned all nasty, and justifies the behavior of the SJWs/feminists in targeting those they don't approve of.

well that horse has bolted and while I don’t agree with cancel culture its more a bit of schadenfreude to see it happen in this case, its one of those “they are eating their own”

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    well that horse has bolted and while I don’t agree with cancel culture its more a bit of schadenfreude to see it happen in this case, its one of those “they are eating their own”

I don't agree. Cancel culture was growing for some time driven by SJWs/Internet personalities, but a resistance has been growing to it for some time now. I'd rather that we didn't expand on it's usage out from the SJWs and eventually it'll be dropped as an unsuitable set of behavior.

“they are eating their own”... true enough... I enjoy seeing it too because it reinforces and highlights the double standards..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Sorry what? Do you mean drunk ? It's still not rape, rape requires penetration by the little pianist

That is a very narrow definition of rape. One which I don't agree with and neither does the law in many places. If you have consensual sex with a person but it was due to deception it is classed as rape in some place. You also have statutory rape.

Men have reflexes so it isn't all about conscious desire so can be raped by women whether laws here say so or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

I don't agree. Cancel culture was growing for some time driven by SJWs/Internet personalities, but a resistance has been growing to it for some time now. I'd rather that we didn't expand on it's usage out from the SJWs and eventually it'll be dropped as an unsuitable set of behavior.

“they are eating their own”... true enough... I enjoy seeing it too because it reinforces and highlights the double standards..

It could be argued that the cancel culture is ending because the people who are doing it (losers tbh) are being affected by it due to different people competing. (E.g. A sad story about a cute Asain lady having to change her book because it didn't depict slavery properly in regards to African Americans...the book was about slavery in Asai)

So, actually, if you reverse what is going on, it could lead to these losers being a little bit more careful about making accusations of racism/sexism/so on and so forth.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    That is a very narrow definition of rape. One which I don't agree with and neither does the law in many places. If you have consensual sex with a person but it was due to deception it is classed as rape in some place. You also have statutory rape.

Men have reflexes so it isn't all about conscious desire so can be raped by women whether laws here say so or not.

The study is dumb. It uses the same definitions that a lot of the rape statistics are based upon, but it is useful to highlight how absurd things have gotten.

As in, if a guy doesn't explicetly say 'consent', even if he is being rode on like an elephant on a bycicle, he is technically 'raped'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The study is dumb. It uses the same definitions that a lot of the rape statistics are based upon, but it is useful to highlight how absurd things have gotten.

As in, if a guy doesn't explicetly say 'consent', even if he is being rode on like an elephant on a bycicle, he is technically 'raped'.

What study?

There is no talk of explicit consent like you are suggesting. In most people's minds they acknowledge a man can have an erection and a women can have sex with a person without their consent. In other words rape. To deny that is possible and has happened is worrying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

pinkyeye wrote: »
    What's the COSCs? And where is the back up for this? I don't believe it.

Cosc are The National Office for the Prevention of Domestic, Sexual and Gender based violence (www.cosc.ie), a government body with responsibility for this. The results are based on extensive research carried out by them some years ago.

I believe this was the first time an Irish study had included the idea that men could be victims/ women abusers (anecdotally I believe it wasn’t well received in some quarters). However the number broadly agree with other research internationally

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    What study?

There is no talk of explicit consent like you are suggesting. In most people's minds they acknowledge a man can have an erection and a women can have sex with a person without their consent. In other words rape. To deny that is possible and has happened is worrying

What do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

silverharp wrote: »

Right but you’re either for cancel culture or against it. And if you’re against it, shouldn’t you be consistent? As already said, it’s something that could quickly become quite sinister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Right but you’re either for cancel culture or against it. And if you’re against it, shouldn’t you be consistent? As already said, it’s something that could quickly become quite sinister.

well it will only end when it happens to enough of the enlightened folk. Alot of cancel culture revolves around someone saying something possibly years ago on twitter so it tends to be petty. On the other hand I have no problem with rapists/molesters etc being "cancelled", she isn't far off that imo.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

It could be argued that the cancel culture is ending because the people who are doing it (losers tbh) are being affected by it due to different people competing. (E.g. A sad story about a cute Asain lady having to change her book because it didn't depict slavery properly in regards to African Americans...the book was about slavery in Asai)

You can argue from any angle, although, personally, I'd argue that it's the Youtube personalities with decent followings calling out and promoting this negative behavior for what it represents.... is what's decreasing the appeal of doing it. Cancel culture feeds on a echo chamber of support. When there's hundreds of thousands of people coming on to your twitter account to say your behavior is despicable, it's hard to maintain a holier than thou attitude.
    So, actually, if you reverse what is going on, it could lead to these losers being a little bit more careful about making accusations of racism/sexism/so on and so forth.

Which is the logic behind reverse racism or reverse sexism. Nope. I don't buy it. Racism is wrong. Sexism is wrong. Cancel culture is wrong. All of which should be stamped out without resorting to imitating it... why? Because the behavior itself is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Seems like they're airing their dirty linen in a big way at this libel trial:p

I decided to divorce Amber Heard when she defecated in our bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

It's pretty clear who the real victim is in this once you hear the tapes, see the videos and read witness testimony. Just read the statement from Amber Heard's former personal assistant to get an idea of what kind of person she is. Shocking that Heard is continuing down this path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It definitely sounded like a crazy relationship going by whats come out at the trial. She threw a glass bottle at him, cut his finger and then he went writing his blood on the walls. TV and windows were smashed with 70k worth of damage. Id say that was some hangover for both of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Standman wrote: »
    It's pretty clear who the real victim is in this once you hear the tapes, see the videos and read witness testimony. Just read the statement from Amber Heard's former personal assistant to get an idea of what kind of person she is. Shocking that Heard is continuing down this path.

None of them are coming across well to be honest. The only winners in all of this will be their lawyers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

They sound about a compatible as to plugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

None of them are coming across well to be honest. The only winners in all of this will be their lawyers

Heard is the one who did stuff to Depp.
    Depp, from what I've read, is the one having had stuff done to him.

Why should he be lumped in with her when he did nothing to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Tork

Me eyes are out on stalks after reading all of that! Neither of them is coming out well from this. She sounds like a right psycho and he needs to lay off the drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Ultrflat wrote:
    They sound about a compatible as to plugs.

Great quote!! Shakespeare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

She is still a L'oreal spokesperson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I don’t know about that. I think it sounds like an extremely volatile and toxic relationship from both sides. Having said that, he at least is open and admitting of his faults and demons. He has had a lot of his past laid bare but I guess it’s not his character on trial but a question of whether or not he raised his hand to her. And I guess he has no reason to lie when he has been so open about a lot of his past. She does seem particularly calculating but I do think it was a relationship that brought out the very worst in both of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,310 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Riflecreek wrote: »
    From the studies I've seen, if a woman claims to be the victim if domestic abuse, chances are she was also abusing her partner.
    Right........what studies would those be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

She's super hot and super crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

She's super hot and super crazy

She's super unpleasant and super vile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I knew JD was a drugged up mess but heard is not much better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

She's super unpleasant and super vile.

demented in the sack tho

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Reopened after some housekeeping, stay on topic please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Dunno about that, they showed evidence on Friday with her having a couple of black eyes.

He also alleges she shat in his bed. Theres a pair of them in it by the looks of it to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Dunno about that, they showed evidence on Friday with her having a couple of black eyes.

He also alleges she shat in his bed. Theres a pair of them in it by the looks of it to me.

Maybe she mis heard jump street for dump street

• Advertisement

Standman wrote: »

Are we just skipping over the part where Depp refers to them physically assaulting one another?

I don't know, it just feels like aspects of the thread are some kind of backlash against the attention that is given to domestic violence against women. It's probably fair to say the coverage is often unbalanced, but I don't think the tapes (or the testimony at the trial) absolves Depp of using violence (or of being a bit of a nutter, not that that's a crime).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

She's lucky it was Depp and not Sean Connery in his prime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Amber Turd....gonna be hard to find a pr firm that can get her out of that one!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Pair of them in it, she sounds borderline though

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Its like a Wes Anderson script so far for a libel trial it's thrown out more dirt than Jerry Springer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Wes Craven, I think you mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

She's lucky it was Depp and not Sean Connery in his prime!

The same Connery who thought giving his wife a slap was ok.
    Ignorant post. And to those who thanked it...WTF

There is no doubt a pair of them in it but for reasons I can't quite explain I'd be more wary of meeting Amber Heard than Johnny Depp should I stroll down a dark alley.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Pair of them in it, she sounds borderline though

Borderline what?

Borderline dangerous?
    Borderline mentally unwell?
    Borderline attractive?
    Borderline addicted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

The problem for Johnny Depp, despite being a heartthrob for millions... he's never really been much good at keeping women happy in any of his relationships.

He's not really a man, he's more like a cool quirky teenager who never really grew up!

A real man would have no problem taming someone like Amber Heard. She's a bit loopy, but you'd sort her out quickly enough tbh! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

The problem for Johnny Depp, despite being a heartthrob for millions... he's never really been much good at keeping women happy in any of his relationships.

He's not really a man, he's more like a cool quirky teenager who never really grew up!

A real man would have no problem taming someone like Amber Heard. She's a bit loopy, but you'd sort her out quickly enough tbh! :)

She didn't want him. She wanted his money. She got it too.

I dunno maybe you are right... if he had been calling the cops on her when she beat him instead of hitting her back...she sure knew how to work the system.

Borderline what?

Bpd

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Bpd

I really don't know. She is an individual after all. Having BPD isn't necessarily going to make a person act terribly.
    I remember a discussion on here about autism and aspergers. Someone wrote that if you meet one people who has aspergers then you have met one person.

Well that is the same for Borderline personality disorder and all mental illnesses.

I really don't know. She is an individual after all. Having BPD isn't necessarily going to make a person act terribly.
    I remember a discussion on here about autism and aspergers. Someone wrote that if you meet one people who has aspergers then you have met one person.

Well that is the same for Borderline personality disorder and all mental illnesses.

some good points alright, bpd is a spectrum in itself, and since we all have limited information about this story, we shouldnt be jumping to conclusions, so i do apologies for that. to be honest, i really think theres a pair of them in it, depp probably has complex mental health issues going on also, possible some sort of disorder, who knows. im an aspie myself

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1. I've known a couple of BPD people down the years and if I were to just go on those examples one thing that was definitely missing was any sort of physical aggression. Headmelt yes, violence no.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1. I've known a couple of BPD people down the years and if I were to just go on those examples one thing that was definitely missing was any sort of physical aggression. Headmelt yes, violence no.

unfortunately both are known to occur due to 'bpd anger' issues, i have met bpd's that have become violent, probably in the minority though to be fair. its an awful disorder, its extremely upsetting to see a loved one suffer with it, it can be an overwhelming feeling of helplessness, the cluster b's are far from straight forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Depp has claimed that Heard is suffering from a personality disorder. Yes, yes, I know, not the most reliable source but this is sworn testimony so quite serious. It's not a stretch to believe there's something up with her. Depp himself has obvious addiction and potentially anger issues.
    There is no doubt a pair of them in it but for reasons I can't quite explain I'd be more wary of meeting Amber Heard than Johnny Depp should I stroll down a dark alley.

As long as you aren't planning on entering a long term relationship with either of them I'd say you'd be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭pgj2015

why? is she following you or something?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Maybe she got sick of him being the same character in every film he's in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Maybe she got sick of him being the same character in every film he's in.

That is John Connors you are thinking of.

• Advertisement
Advertisement