Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amber Heard admits to beating up Johnny Depp

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    It's not uncommon for victims of domestic abuse to fight back and be demonized for it. Its also not uncommon for a relationship to be mutually abusive, which I think was the case here. Some women are abusive arseholes. Some men are abusive arseholes. When they get together it's a **** show. They're both as bad as each other and it shouldn't be used as some sort of gotcha card against a whole group of people.

It will be, even though many people were just using the information available at the time, that they both seemed nuts but that we didn’t know who had done what. Heard’s previous partner denied she was ever abusive, Depp’s former partners denied he was ever abusive. Now we know more and can revise our viewpoints in light of new information but it will still be used as a “Gotcha!” card for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

True... but it should be used to highlight the double standard that exists in society about domestic abuse. Not to target females, or dismiss the problems they face, but to recognise that abuse is not gender specific which has been promoted in the past.

We really need to be moving away from this idea that women are the only possible victims with domestic abuse, and encouraging a platform for males to come forward, report their problems, and gain protection from their spouses. Both social and legal protections. Just as women have received over the last three decades.

Women didnt just "receive" those protections, they campaigned and fought for them because there was a need for it. They set up support networks and shelters because there was a need for them, and there still is. I absolutely agree that men should have access to the same services if needed, so perhaps a concerted effort is needed to do so?

Women didnt just "receive" those protections, they campaigned and fought for them because there was a need for it. They set up support networks and shelters because there was a need for them, and there still is. I absolutely agree that men should have access to the same services if needed, so perhaps a concerted effort is needed to do so?

Why?

Genuine question. I don't understand why males need to campaign for protections that society has grown to accept for females. The society of today is not the society of the past. Sexism and institutionalised discrimination are essentially things of the past except on the individual level, and even then, there are numerous laws to curtail that. Supposedly those laws are in for both genders.

So, I'm wondering if males need to campaign for parity with females for all rights and protections in a society that constantly claims to be seeking equality for the genders?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Why?

Genuine question. I don't understand why males need to campaign for protections that society has grown to accept for females. The society of today is not the society of the past. Sexism and institutionalised discrimination are essentially things of the past except on the individual level, and even then, there are numerous laws to curtail that. Supposedly those laws are in for both genders.

So, I'm wondering if males need to campaign for parity with females for all rights and protections in a society that constantly claims to be seeking equality for the genders?

You seem to think women just sat back and did nothing while shelters , protections etc were set up? Not the case. Obviously there are reasons why there is a need for separate shelters for men, so why shouldn't they work to get them set up?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bit of an hyterical reaction there, Amber Heard is bisexual, bisexual women and lesbian women record domestic abuse prevalence at a much much higher rate than other relationships.

'Comparable to or higher' does not mean 'at a much much higher prevalence'.

It will all be the women's fault anyway. All the better if they are man-hating gayers.

• Advertisement

You seem to think women just sat back and did nothing while shelters , protections etc were set up? Not the case. Obviously there are reasons why there is a need for separate shelters for men, so why shouldn't they work to get them set up?

Actually, you're the one repeatedly assuming what I think. I didn't suggest anything even remotely like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

They're both as bad as each other...

No they're bloody not. She's a violent abuser and should be called out as such.

Listen to this part alone where she mocks Depp for walking away from her getting violent with him:

https://twitter.com/jonsmanager/status/1223350526437462018

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Very short tapes. Wheres the rest of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

We have headbanger feminists running for Public Office trying to convince women that only they suffer from the "Epidemic of Domestic Violence" in the same week we have seen three kids allegedly murdered in Dublin and a man murdered in Wexford by women....

I doubt the Amber Heard story will make much difference.

It is time to stop funding to organisations that are consistently guilty of misrepresenting statistics to the detriment of equality.

There are plenty of stats out there on domestic violence; using a particular week that would be an outlier in the stats to suggest we stop funding organisations that support women says more about your ideological agenda on "headbanger feminists" than it does about domestic violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Way past time this thread was moved to the “Current Affairs” forum.

AH doesn’t need to be “compromised” any further.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

cursai wrote: »
    Very short tapes. Wheres the rest of them?

Yea, and from “therapy” - I do hope if I end up on a couch that the contents of my head isn’t published on Twitter.

I still think she’s is guilty but I do hate being spoon fed snippets, always seems to have a hidden agenda.

KiKi III wrote: »
    There are plenty of stats out there on domestic violence; using a particular week that would be an outlier in the stats to suggest we stop funding organisations that support women says more about your ideological agenda on "headbanger feminists" than it does about domestic violence.
    it is time to stop funding to organisations that are consistently guilty of misrepresenting statistics to the detriment of equality.

Right.... :rolleyes:

Bit of an hyterical reaction there, Amber Heard is bisexual, bisexual women and lesbian women record domestic abuse prevalence at a much much higher rate than other relationships, this completely conflicts with what the National Women's Council maintain, and several politicians that are running for office.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2018.01506/full

Mentioning the two tragic cases is not in good taste, I admit, but nonetheless it does expose the b##**** narrative that no media outlet is willing to do.

Amber Heard has been previously arrested for hitting her girlfriend, she has been accused of abusing her boyfriend and yet she is a UN Ambassador for Human Rights...because, it seems, there are no consequences for women when they abuse their partners.

On this, the previous partners of both Depp and Heard said that they weren’t abused by them. Heard’s girlfriend said the arrest was wrongful. Until Heard’s admission that she did physically abuse Depp, we didn’t really know what the story was. If people didn’t want to jump to conclusions about Depp, it was only right to afford Heard the same courtesy in the absence of any evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

This is a disgusting dishonorable attempt to twist the reality of the world we live in. You are as bad as Amber Heard herself. You will be ignored though.
    They're as bad as Amber Heard, who assaulted someone, for posting words on the internet? :confused:

And to be honest, in infanticide cases, it does bother me when it's said woman = depressed, but man = abusive, murdering bastard. Why can't the man be depressed? He more than likely was. But both are murderers in each scenario whatever their mental state.

When men use a story like this as a platform to advocate for more services for men and a more open culture for them to come forward, I applaud them. I'd like to see a lot more of that.

When men use a story like this as a stick to beat feminism, I question their commitment to male victims of domestic violence.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    They're as bad as Amber Heard, who assaulted someone, for posting words on the internet? :confused:

And to be honest, in infanticide cases, it does bother me when it's said woman = depressed, but man = abusive, murdering bastard. Why can't the man be depressed? He more than likely was. But both are murderers in each scenario whatever their mental state.

The obvious comparison has been between the Hawe case and the McGinley case. Alan Hawe’s mental health was discussed a LOT. It’s erroneous to say otherwise.

The obvious comparison has been between the Hawe case and the McGinley case. Alan Hawe’s mental health was discussed a LOT. It’s erroneous to say otherwise.

Yup, the fact that he'd been going to counselling came up a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

That's exactly what I mean - talk of Hawe's possible mental state was swiftly and aggressively shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I was leaning towards Amber Heard until i heard these recordings.

That's exactly what I mean - talk of Hawe's possible mental state was swiftly and aggressively shut down.

I don't remember that being the case at all. I remember it being discussed extensively.

One prominent difference between the two cases I haven't seen discussed a lot was the manner of killing. Hawe was brutally violent. I remember reading that one of the kids had defensive wounds on his hands, he tried to fight him off.

We don't have autopsy details yet for the McGinley children, but we know they had know marks on their bodies. The early speculation is that they were sedated and then smothered.

Infanticide is infanticide, but it does seem that whatever prompted her to kill her children, she tried to give them the most painless deaths possible.

It doesn't make the outcome any better, but I think it's a distinction between the two cases that hasn't really been mentioned.

• Advertisement

No it wasn’t. :confused: Not everyone agreed that mental health was at play but it was discussed at length.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I’d say there was a pair of them in it. Pair of drunks, both flaking one another out of it on the regular, both now trying to blame each other to try and salvage some kind of career for themselves. There is something particularly nasty and vindictive about her though. At least he doesn’t try to hide his demons. She tries to come across all holier than thou when she has previous form for domestic violence

Pair of them in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

We have headbanger feminists running for Public Office trying to convince women that only they suffer from the "Epidemic of Domestic Violence" in the same week we have seen three kids murdered* in Dublin and a man murdered in Wexford by women....

I doubt the Amber Heard story will make much difference.

It is time to stop funding to organisations that are consistently guilty of misrepresenting statistics to the detriment of equality.

Mod note: * Allegedly.

Be careful here, folks, there has not been a trial yet never mind a conviction. The person in question remains innocent unless/until a trial convicts them!

Buford T. Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Why then, is our current Taoiseach (and other politicians) pedaling the myth that only women suffer from Domestic Abuse?

I don't have an ideological agenda...Feminists on the other hand do.

I refer to Feminists as headbangers because (albeit in a crude fashion) a feminist in this part of the world at this time in history would need to be particularly thick skulled to think that women are oppressed when the reality, that is staring them right in front of their faces, suggests the exact opposite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I don't like Johnny Depp. He was brilliant in Edward Scissorhands.

He has been on the easy street since then. It sounds like a toxic relationship.

In all honesty you would have to question anyone who managed to leave Vanessa Paradis? Really? What a phucking idiot.

Edward Norton is a much better actor and Depp knows it.

Why then, is our current Taoiseach (and other politicians) pedaling the myth that only women suffer from Domestic Abuse?

I don't have an ideological agenda...Feminists on the other hand do.

I refer to Feminists as headbangers because (albeit in a crude fashion) a feminist in this part of the world at this time in history would need to be particularly thick skulled to think that women are oppressed when the reality, that is staring them right in front of their faces, suggests the exact opposite.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Link?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/varadkar-says-domestic-violence-is-at-epidemic-levels-1.4123037

In this article, he endorses The Istanbul Convention, which also, conveniently ignores female domestic violence.

There is a concerted effort, across the developed world, to airbrush male victims of domestic abuse thus denying funding for services to male victims, this is a grotesque abuse of tax payer funds.

Domestic Violence is not a gendered issue...but it has become one!

IAMAMORON wrote: »

In all honesty you would have to question anyone who managed to leave Vanessa Paradis? Really? What a phucking idiot.

Yes... that’s relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Alcoholism is an awful thing when both members of a relationship have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Just because one of his relationships didn't work out, does not make him an idiot. Maybe they grew apart? It happens without either party being the bad guy.

What is very clear, is that himself and Vanessa Paradis are still clearly very close, she does not have anything bad to say about him, that speaks volumes. She is a very classy and credible lady.

Johnny Depp went seriously downhill in all aspects of his life since he got involved with Amber Heard, almost like he hit self destruct, maybe it was coming anyway, but he aged almost overnight, and looked like a shabby shadow if his former self. I see someone mentioned alcohol addiction - could defunitely be addiction issues.

On another note, I'm always pulling people up here for misogny against women, however, I'm well aware that men can suffer domestic abuse and suffer in silence and loneliness.

The comments here such as "she can abuse me any day, ha ha". Same as when a female teacher sexually abuses a young student " wish my teachers did that ha ha'. It's men perpetuating this myth and they are damaging other men. There is a need for support for women suffering domestic abuse, there is need for support for men suffering abuse, it is possible to have both without taking pot shots at the other. I do think though, that man need to be more supportive to other men and not have them keeping quiet for fear of being mocked or told to man up.

Advertisement