Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s only the 4 cylinder diesels though :D

Nah 6 cylinder too, got the letter last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Wailin wrote: »
    Nah 6 cylinder too, got the letter last week.

As did I. I've experienced 3 of the 4 symptoms they listed. Not looking forward to what the loaner car will be :pac:

UnevenCraftyEft-small.gif

As did I. I've experienced 3 of the 4 symptoms they listed. Not looking forward to what the loaner car will be :pac:

And it could be a long loaner....no parts available at all for N57 engine.

And it could be a long loaner....no parts available at all for N57 engine.

Yep, they're on backorder apparently.

I think what they're doing is checking the cars to see if they will do the work and giving them back until the parts are in so the work is done further down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

What are the symptoms?

Didn't get a letter yet.

What are the symptoms?

Didn't get a letter yet.

1. The low engine coolant warning is displayed to the driver
    2. The check engine and/or drivetrain warning message is displayed to the driver
    3. A loss of power from the engine whilst driving
    4. Smell of exhaust gas and a whistling noise from the engine compartment

I've experienced 2, 3 and 4.

You really should be handing that car in immediately MM!

You really should be handing that car in immediately MM!

Yep, this is true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

1. The low engine coolant is displayed to the driver
    2. The check engine and/or drivetrain warning message is displayed to the driver
    3. A loss of power from the engine whilst driving
    4. Smell of exhaust gas and a whistling noise from the engine compartment

I've experienced 2, 3 and 4.

I had 2 3 and 4 displayed to me too (in an e61) and it was turbo failure.
    Managed to punt the car on before it failed but it was the early signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No letter and no symptoms yet here. I'm guessing since I didn't buy mine through the main dealer network that they might be prioritizing main dealer customers first. Car will be going in for a service with them with in the next month so I'll ask them to inspect it then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Can hear the whistling noise from the front right of the engine compartment sometimes alright but any other I've driven have had it. No other issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,455 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

gobsmacked the 05 skoda went through another test first time had to slam the door to get the window to go down as he drove it into the test centre (doesnt work all the time loose connection somewhere !) but kind nct man passed me. just an advisory on the bonnet release been stiff and a bulb allegedly out on the rear (thought the bulb sensor was supposed to pick that up) - but they are apparently working to 50% of lights working in multi rear lights (which is weird IMO ) so must get that fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I have heard the Ethnic minorities are targeting classics a lot these days.

I have heard the Ethnic minorities are targeting classics a lot these days.
    Careful now, that's too much of a truth and you'll be called racist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

How do manufacturers contact owners of cars that are due a recall if it's not in the dealer network? Do revenue release the registered owner details to them for cars that meet the criteria? The service manager told me there is a recall outstanding on my car for the egr. No parts available though. So I asked them to contact me when they get the parts and they refused asking me to just check back in a month or two. No symptoms as yet thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

vintagevrs wrote: »
    How do manufacturers contact owners of cars that are due a recall if it's not in the dealer network? Do revenue release the registered owner details to them for cars that meet the criteria? The service manager told me there is a recall outstanding on my car for the egr. No parts available though. So I asked them to contact me when they get the parts and they refused asking me to just check back in a month or two. No symptoms as yet thankfully.

I have had notices for recalls on my 2001 for safety items (airbag), so I presume in those cases they are given the current owners details from shannon. But that might not be the cases for non safety items such as an EGR. That reminds me that I have an airbag recall on the Nissan Note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

For safety recalls they're supposed to contact Shannon who will give them the names and addresses, and then they will contact the owners. In this way, even imports should be covered. It shouldn't make any difference if the car goes into a main dealer all the time, or none of the time.

For safety recalls they're supposed to contact Shannon who will give them the names and addresses, and then they will contact the owners. In this way, even imports should be covered. It shouldn't make any difference if the car goes into a main dealer all the time, or none of the time.
    Surely that is not GDPR compliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

ELM327 wrote: »

It is complient.

"1. How does the right to be forgotten work in principle?
    If an individual exercises their right to be forgotten, the data controller must take reasonable steps to inform all parties in the supply chain who are processing the subject’s personal data about the erasure. However, unsubscribing or opting-out from marketing communications is different from the right to be forgotten. In the case of an individual no longer wanting to receive direct marketing communications, an organisation should retain their personal data information as long as necessary in an ‘unsubscribe’ file, making sure all parties in the supply chain are aware.

The right to be forgotten doesn’t mean you have to delete your existing suppression files either. These will still be required to make sure you do not contact those people that have asked you not to get in touch, and is a separate requirement. This means organisations will be able to retain customer information to contact them about safety or product recall concerns even if that customer has exercised the right to be forgotten."

• Advertisement

morritty wrote: »
    It is complient.

"1. How does the right to be forgotten work in principle?
    If an individual exercises their right to be forgotten, the data controller must take reasonable steps to inform all parties in the supply chain who are processing the subject’s personal data about the erasure. However, unsubscribing or opting-out from marketing communications is different from the right to be forgotten. In the case of an individual no longer wanting to receive direct marketing communications, an organisation should retain their personal data information as long as necessary in an ‘unsubscribe’ file, making sure all parties in the supply chain are aware.

The right to be forgotten doesn’t mean you have to delete your existing suppression files either. These will still be required to make sure you do not contact those people that have asked you not to get in touch, and is a separate requirement. This means organisations will be able to retain customer information to contact them about safety or product recall concerns even if that customer has exercised the right to be forgotten."

I'm not questioning the right to be forgotten.
    I'm questioning the right of private companies to receive PII from a government body.

GDPR is about much, much more than the right to be forgotten. It controls your rights to control your personal data and the storage and retention of same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

If my car was at risk of catching fire, GDPR would be the last thing on my mind for the manufacturer contacting me for repair/replacement

If my car was at risk of catching fire, GDPR would be the last thing on my mind for the manufacturer contacting me for repair/replacement

Yes but it's the principle and it could be used for spurious or nefarious purposes.
    We're not all aboard the "free personal info for all" bus you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭morritty

Clearly its not a breach of GDPR if a Government department can pass along details to car manufacturers, otherwise they wouldn't go ahead and do it, also they would have been fined at this stage. Multiple times.

Listen, If people want there cars to go on fire because GDPR. let them. Most people wouldnt care. But of course you'll have a couple of pricks who feel they have been "violated" and look for an easy pay day, simply because we are living in the year Two Thousand and Snowflake. But anyway it's not my issue really, I for one would be perfectly happy for Shannon to pass my details along to Skoda Ireland if needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Yes but it's the principle and it could be used for spurious or nefarious purposes.
    We're not all aboard the "free personal info for all" bus you know.

I'm not on that bus you know.

BMW / ford / Skoda or whoever it may be are coming along to Shannon and saying "look, we've a matter of urgency here in regards to peoples cars catching fire, possibly with them in it, we need these vehicles back for inspection free of charge and possibly repair them, any chance we can have a name and address to inform them ?"

And with that Shannon comply

It's not like Skoda are coming on and saying "hey Shannon, we've a new PCP deal coming up , any chance we can target everyone with a Skoda!"

Clearly its not a breach of GDPR if a Government department can pass along details to car manufacturers, otherwise they wouldn't go ahead and do it, also they would have been fined at this stage. Multiple times.

Listen, If people want there cars to go on fire because GDPR. let them. Most people wouldnt care. But of course you'll have a couple of pricks who feel they have been "violated" and look for an easy pay day, simply because we are living in the year Two Thousand and Snowflake. But anyway it's not my issue really, I for one would be perfectly happy for Shannon to pass my details along to Skoda Ireland if needs be.

What's a rant?
    PS - like most non dublin players taking a free at croker, you've missed the point!

I'm not on that bus you know.

BMW / ford / Skoda or whoever it may be are coming along to Shannon and saying "look, we've a matter of urgency here in regards to peoples cars catching fire, possibly with them in it, we need these vehicles back for inspection free of charge and possibly repair them, any chance we can have a name and address to inform them ?"

And with that Shannon comply

It's not like Skoda are coming on and saying "hey Shannon, we've a new PCP deal coming up , any chance we can target everyone with a Skoda!"

Surely the communication should be handled by Shannon then, rather than giving personal information to a private company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are provisions in the Data Protection Act for manufacturers to apply to Government bodies in order to contact owners where a safety recall is required. They cannot apply or retain the data for marketing purposes however.

we are living in the year Two Thousand and Snowflake.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What's a rant?
    PS - like most non dublin players taking a free at croker, you've missed the point!

Surely the communication should be handled by Shannon then, rather than giving personal information to a private company.

Why would they it has nothing to do with the state. Why would they take on such a thing.
    Who would pay, who would hire the extra staff etc for such issues.

So what if the company looks for ones name and address to send a safety notice. Your information isn't used for anything else after that.

bazz26 wrote: »
    There are provisions in the Data Protection Act for manufacturers to apply to Government bodies in order to contact owners where a safety recall is required. They cannot apply or retain the data for marketing purposes however.

Thanks. That's the crux of my questions answered. You've been a great help, certainly a welcome change from snowflakes like the below.

Why would they it has nothing to do with the state. Why would they take on such a thing.
    Who would pay, who would hire the extra staff etc for such issues.

So what if the company looks for ones name and address to send a safety notice. Your information isn't used for anything else after that.
    Sure why bother having any data protection law at all so. Sure no one will ever do anything wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Comment: The individual's right to privacy can be set aside where personal data must be disclosed in order to save someone's life or protect someone's health, or to prevent property from being destroyed. This provision does not authorise disclosures of personal information for general health research purposes, or for other medical purposes where there is no immediate or urgent risk to someone's life or health. In such cases, the normal data protection rules apply, including the obtaining of consent where necessary.

• Advertisement

Comment: GDPR is a pain in the hole.

Huge potential benefits for the individual though so suck it up if you think it's a pain in the hole :)

Augeo wrote: »
    Huge potential benefits for the individual though so suck it up if you think it's a pain in the hole :)

I don't doubt it and I know it has its benefits but if are trying to run a business or in my case work in a school it has made life exponentially and needlessly difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Enniscorthy,where I saw a dipstick try to parallel park in a loading bay while lads were trying to unload a truck. And now there's another parked on a roundabout while they run into the credit union. The place must have some of the worst drivers in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Enniscorthy,where I saw a dipstick try to parallel park in a loading bay while lads were trying to unload a truck. And now there's another parked on a roundabout while they run into the credit union. The place must have some of the worst drivers in Ireland.

Have you been to Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Brings back memories in Sligo with my grandad,

They would literally abandon a car anywhere... Tripple parking was totally normal too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,455 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Brings back memories in Sligo with my grandad,

They would literally abandon a car anywhere... Tripple parking was totally normal too.

double parkingis very common in loads of towns in donegal , donegal town and ardara been the worst two i can think of

sure their just "nipping in"

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Have you been to Limerick?

William street is the worst in Ireland easily. I counted 20 cars in the right lane one Sunday.

Longford is the worst for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Such a pain! vsware especially, can't see anything anymore. So sick of them 4 letters....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 manvilla

Hi,

I'm trying to locate and replace the cigarette lighter fuse on a 2011 Toyota corolla Terra. There's a fuse box under the bonnet but it doesn't seem to be there and there is another box behind the glove compartment which contains bigger fuses and its not there. If anyone can help and even better post a picture of the location Id be grateful.

Ive searched youtube but none of the videos have enlightened me thus far.

Thanks
    Manvilla

Pretty sure it’s under the bonnet and marked CIG

Actually, I think there’s a cubby lid below the mirror switch, might be behind that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,447 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

A natural result from the closing of St Senan’s (the “Red Brick”).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

If your planninv driving through north cork city along the quays for the next 10 days don't bother.

https://www.corkcity.ie/services/roadstransportation/transportationdivision/roadclosuresanddiversions/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Got bagged this morning at 730 on the way to work. Was trying to do the maths, how many cans areir, and the guard doing the windey window charade, I had to open the door as I believe the relay is gone in it. Anyway, I lost count, no more than 5. Got a pass too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭blade1

beertons wrote: »
    Got bagged this morning at 730 on the way to work. Was trying to do the maths, how many cans areir, and the guard doing the windey window charade, I had to open the door as I believe the relay is gone in it. Anyway, I lost count, no more than 5. Got a pass too.
    A guard once told me..
    Make sure you do a poo before driving after drinking the night before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Went up the Dublin mountains today for a hike, up around Ticknock. Drove the e46 up the steep hill to the car park, and by god it wasn't the happiest beast when it got to the top. Smoke/oil burning from the engine bay visible from the drivers seat. A leaky rocker cover; these cars are terrible for it and it rears it's head going up hill I find. Now to decide if I'm arsed doing the pig of a job again... It's about 3 hours if you're lucky, but I've done it twice before so it should be on the quicker end. I've just never gotten it 100% right and I'm not sure it'll be right if I do it again, not going to pay someone to do it as it's pricey. Hmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Is your ccv ok? You could try putting a smear of dirko sealant either side of the gasket too. Things could be worse i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Rocker cover gasket should be an hour's labour at a garage. Needs to be OEM and the bits in the middle need to be changed as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement