Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Strazdas wrote: »
    Not that much I would say, especially if that player explained their reasons not to do so.

I dunno, they can be fairly intolerant over there if you refuse to wear the poppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Billy Mays wrote: »
    England fans: "keep politics out of football"

Also England fans: "There were 10 German bombers in the air..."
    "No surrender to the IRA..."

Went to the Friendly at Wembley back in May 2013, there were a group of London sounding England fans on the Met Tube line standing near me, I couldn't for the life of me believe how thick they were, it was truly next level thickness, the sort of dialogue and banter that makes you wonder 'Jesus, these guys were supposedly born and reared in an Alpha World City in a First World country?'.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Ever hear of James McClean?

The people booing McClean are the exact same ones booing the 'knee' gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Bobblehats wrote: »
    How can you claim that?!

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1401188262937612306?s=1

I'm not claiming anything, it's been explained many times why they are doing it. The motives of those that continue to boo cannot be confused or explained away anymore.

the difference is the reaction. Wheres the official support for Mcclean.

• Advertisement

There is some overlap tbf but the poppy does have broader more respectable support too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Exactly. England is full of those types of 'fans' tbh. They have a long history of it. Brexit supporters no doubt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

It's all a PR exercise at this stage. John Barnes articulates it best. Sky had him on a while back and applauded sky for their gesture but then proceeded to fillet them about how it was lip service.

Philanthropy and social justice causes are the new form of marketing pretty much, the likes of Sky pleading with people to 'kick it out' and 'we're all in' just smacks of token gestures.

Actually think it's better to let these racist morons be heard in public, better to hear them express themselves as fools then to have them contain it in silence as be presumed to be respectable.

Social media is a cesspit too, players want to be in a bubble of positivity. No excuse for racially abusing someone online, it's vile but these players want to flog their wares on it in peace that's the issue.

We are hearing non racial stuff, players crying over their mental health suffering because some lads in their bedrooms criticised their performance over zealously, good Lord. Get off social media if you cannot hack it. But they won't do that as they prefer to get paid 25k per Twitter post, and ideally would prefer to do it without the hassle.

Look at Tubridy, quit Twitter because of dogs abuse he gets. Until people agree to 'be kind to each other' in other words, blow smoke up his hole, he won't be back. That's the thin skin age we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

BLM is a radical reactionary group that participate in acts that could be described as terror (riots etc. In the US)

Its a bit like say you are in Sinn Fein but dont support the IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Effects wrote: »
    "Tell me you're racist, without telling me you're racist."

Shameful comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Whats the end goal of this "taking a knee" thing exactly? The end of racism?

Seeing as tribalism is part of human nature, it could be a case that when Mars-chester United play Alpha Centauri Arsenal in the 2320 Universal Super League Final, there will be still players taking the knee...but sure the main thing is that people are seen on all social media platforms to be giving the illusion of doing something

6 wrote: »
    It seems to be the go to argument against the gesture.

Basically, people aren't willing to own their views.

I'd respect someone's opinion more if they admitted they didn't actually like racism being highlighted. However, you'll see people all over social media cowardly not owning their opinion.

It's terrible when people make generalisations about people....

Exactly. England is full of those types of 'fans' tbh. They have a long history of it. Brexit supporters no doubt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It's terrible when people make generalisations about people....

It's hardly a generalisation. It's a fact.

Racism and football in England have had links for as long as I've followed it. Not as bad now as it was in the 70s and 80s mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Of course it should be booed. BLM is a Marxist political movement not an anti racism movement. Politics has no place in sport. F1 drivers apart from that asshole Lewis Hamilton are dead right not taking the knee don't why footballers can't do the same.

Racism and football in England have had links for as long as I've followed it. Not as bad now as it was in the 70s and 80s mind.

It's not just English supporters though. This happened at the Ireland game tonight too, so it would appear to be a more widespread issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

People can take a knee if they so wish but People are free to boo them if they wish also.

I wouldn't take a knee for BLM, which I believe is a radical organisation.

No No No. You either support them or you are a "big racist". Choose correctly or else.......

GT89 wrote: »
    Of course it should be booed. BLM is a Marxist political movement not an anti racism movement. Politics has no place in sport..

https://twitter.com/tom_usher_/status/1401576857003347968?s=19

English football fans. Brexit supporters no doubt.

That's a generalisation.

It's just one you are ok with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

It's that attitude that pretty much bullies people into taking the knee.

Racism can be highlighted and opposed, and has been highlighted and opposed without taking the gesture associate with Gorge Floyd protests and the horrible BLM movement.
    The gesture was in the headlines long before anyone had heard of George Floyd. Kaepernick started it in 2016, many NFL players followed suit and were called sons of bitches by their President who also called on them to be fired. It was a big international story.

It's convenient for people to say it only relates to the Floyd protests.

The gesture was in the headlines long before anyone had heard of George Floyd. Kaepernick started it in 2016, many NFL players followed suit and were called sons of bitches by their President who also called on them to be fired. It was a big international story.

That's a very fair point and I am wrong to say it only became popular since George Floyd.

That was inaccurate and incorrect.

• Advertisement

untitled-design-18.png

"It's a BLM thing."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,855 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What would the BLM and the wokies say if i or whoever, suggested that instead of the knee carry on... I or whoever suggested that the players at upcoming matches used the 30 seconds before kickoff to highlight the critical underfunding of special needs services in our eduction system ? I’d probably be racist for suggesting it.

Strumms wrote: »
    What would the BLM and the wokies say if i or whoever, suggested that instead of the knee carry on... I or whoever suggested that the players at upcoming matches used the 30 seconds before kickoff to highlight the critical underfunding of special needs services in our eduction system ?

They'd call you a racist.

At least that's my experience with them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

And beyond there? In Europe, it all coincided with the BLM reactionary movement.

Or at least the nations determined to find themselves in that same pickle but we're fed up with it now; no more grovelling. Just blow the damn whistle and let the match commence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Bobblehats wrote: »
    And beyond there? In Europe, it all coincided with the BLM reactionary movement.

Or at least the nations determined to find themselves in that same pickle but we're fed up with it now; no more grovelling. Just blow the damn whistle and let the match commence
    *you're

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

*you're

Were. Its beyond old already; put that mother to bed

I can't understand why they are still taking the knee in Europe for something that happened over a year ago in the US

He was fired. This only became international after George Floyd.

Strumms wrote: »
    What would the BLM and the wokies say if i or whoever, suggested that instead of the knee carry on... I or whoever suggested that the players at upcoming matches used the 30 seconds before kickoff to highlight the critical underfunding of special needs services in our eduction system ? I’d probably be racist for suggesting it.

Or do something in solidarity to the Caucasian farmers being fcked off the land in South Africa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭SheepsClothing

I have complicated feelings on this.

On one hand I don't think the hyper focus on race which is very much in vogue at the moment and which taking the knee is absolutely a part of, is doing any good and if anything is further entrenching racial polarisation across the world. On the other hand, I know that deep down the people who feel this visceral need to boo kneeling players aren't doing so, because BLM is a "Marxist organisation", but because they don't like these black football players speaking out against the racial abuse they routinely get.

Advertisement