Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booing the knee *Mod Note in Post 1232 and OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Billy Mays wrote: »
    This fella tying himself up in knots on booing the knee :pac: :pac:

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1401859424831119360?s=20

I dont know why anyone rings into that show with the opposing point of view to the presenter because all they do is get talked over and disrespected.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

People can take a knee if they so wish but People are free to boo them if they wish also.

I wouldn't take a knee for BLM, which I believe is a radical organisation.

How about taking a knee to raise awareness of racism? :)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,207 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm not a racist, but.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Black players getting racially abused online every time they make a mistake in a game is the norm now

According to some they should just suck it up and get on with it icon14.png

I actually think it's getting worse. The more protesting the more trolls are reacting. Not sure what can be done. Social media companies do not give a fiddlers about anonymous troll accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Colombia - Argentina underway. No knees given

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

6 wrote: »
    How about taking a knee to raise awareness of racism? :)

You might as well wear a poppy for racism. It is symbolic act that means what it means. Poppies are for British soldiers and the knee is for BLM. They already had 'respect' and 'kick it out' to tackle racism. These seem to be sidelined now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Rikand wrote: »
    I dont know why anyone rings into that show with the opposing point of view to the presenter because all they do is get talked over and disrespected.

Hubris I suppose. I guess they think they can outsmart and outwit him. This is despite him being a professional that (I presume) has researchers helping him.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I honestly think it's a bit mean of you to purposely try to frame me as a racist when I explicitly stated the opposite and have absolutely nothing but distain for actual racism.

I literally said I wouldn't boo it, but can see why people may.

Just because I don't agree with you, doesn't make me a bad person or someone you should try to frame as some racist.

It's dishonest.

You know what's dishonest? Pushing an agenda that this is about BLM when it clearly isn't. I don't believe a word you say so I'll disregard the rest of the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

People can take a knee if they so wish but People are free to boo them if they wish also.

I wouldn't take a knee for BLM, which I believe is a radical organisation.

People are not taking a knee "for BLM". It's a gesture against racism in football. All of the talk about it being a show of support for 'a Marxist organisation' is completely missing the point.

BLM is not even an actual organisation and doesn't have members. It can best be described as a popular international movement that embraces many different groups and millions of individuals.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    You might as well wear a poppy for racism. It is symbolic act that means what it means. Poppies are for British soldiers and the knee is for BLM. They already had 'respect' and 'kick it out' to tackle racism. These seem to be sidelined now

If players want to highlight racism who am I or you to judge. Doesn't bother me in the slightest if players go down on a knee for a few seconds.

Find it weird that it actually bothers people.

• Advertisement

You know what's dishonest? Pushing an agenda that this is about BLM when it clearly isn't. I don't believe a word you say so I'll disregard the rest of the post.

Well when the boys started taking the knee, their jerseys were emblazoned with Black Lives Matter, there was a logo beside the score on the television screen stating Black Lives Matter and the commentators were wearing badges saying Black Lives Matter.

But no, I'm sure that was just a coincidence and now all players have suddenly decided after years of Kick it Out campaigning, that taking a knee is nowt to do with BLM and just an extension of being against racism in general. Nothing to do with Black Lives Matter

Mental gymnastics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

How can you claim that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I thought the hungarian team had the right idea tonight, just to point to the "respect" badge. It has no connotations to a certain Marxist extermist group in America and is a message of respect which is more all-encompassing than just Black Americans.

This might be a shock to a certain segment of people on this thread but black people can be incredibly racist as can Asian people as can white people.........

Well when the boys started taking the knee, their jerseys were emblazoned with Black Lives Matter, there was a logo beside the score on the television screen stating Black Lives Matter and the commentators were wearing badges saying Black Lives Matter.

But no, I'm sure that was just a coincidence and now all players have suddenly decided after years of Kick it Out campaigning, that taking a knee is nowt to do with BLM and just an extension of being against racism in general.

Mental gymnastics.

Are you suggesting their primary motivation is to support BLM and not take a stand against racism in football? To what end.....why would they be fixated on the BLM movement but not on racism?

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Loads of England fans are obsessed with the PIRA, WW2, German Bombers, the Taliban, Ulster Loyalism.

What have any of the above got to do with the football team comprised of the XI best English players? :confused::confused::confused:

Bobblehats wrote: »
    How can you claim that?!

Super easy, barely an inconvenience.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Are you suggesting their primary motivation is to support BLM and not take a stand against racism in football? To what end.....why would they be fixated on the BLM movement but not on racism?

Yes.

I am suggesting that it is an extremely popular movement to be assocoated with at the moment, especially with sponsors. To be seen not to knee would be detrimental to the players brand, and the teams brand, such is the way the wind is blowing at the moment.

It is very much about posturing and very little about trying to enact change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

What do you think would happen if a non black player chose not to take a knee in an English premier league game or for the English national team?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,272 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

banie01 wrote: »
    All informed sources in the UK are of the opinion that systemic racism is a problem and has societal impact.

Start with Barnado's opinion and see if it shapes any opinion of your own.
    https://www.barnardos.org.uk/blog/how-systemic-racism-affects-young-people-uk

Downing St did publish a report last month that opined that systemic racism doesn't exist in the UK.
    BoJo's race adviser resigned shortly afterwards and the report itself has been widely panned as a whitewash.

Racism is fairly endemic in the UK, not so bad here I think but it's not something I've ever experienced in Ireland.
    Can't say the same about the UK, but as soon as Muslims became the enemy de jure over there being Irish painted a lot less of a target on paddies.

Fear of the other is always a dominant feature of societies built on exclusionary ideals, be they religious or nationalistic.

Inclusivity, rejecting territoriality and other similar concepts are the way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Simply googling BLM and 'Premier League' returns plenty of legitimate sources and footballer quotes emphasizing the link between taking the knee and BLM. You can't deny the connection between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

FIFA/UEFA have rules about politics and football being separate.
    This kneeling and racial abuse from fans of players should both be punished.

It's a sport not a political pedestal. All these players have large audiences on social media and that's the perfect medium for them to express any political opinions they have.

The vast majority of people that attend football matches are there to enjoy the event. They don't go to racially abuse anyone nor do they go to watch footballers self indulge in the popular cause of the day.

Of course racial abuse does happen and unfortunately the governing bodies of football have been very weak and inconsistent in punishing clubs and fans for racial abuse of players.

It's a big issue in the likes of Russia and Italy where black players have been abused disgracefully by fans with clubs there receiving token fines when they should have been thrown out of European competitions and hit in their pocket until they were forced to enact real change.

UEFA have made such a mess of keeping politics out of football they routinely fine clubs when their fans display Palestinian flags but when players ignore the kick off whistle en masse there is nothing done about it.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Fear of the other is always a dominant feature of societies built on exclusionary ideals, be they religious or nationalistic.

Inclusivity, rejecting territoriality and other similar concepts are the way forward.

Good for business too, am I right?

It seems to be the go to argument against the gesture.

Basically, people aren't willing to own their views.

I'd respect someone's opinion more if they admitted they didn't actually like racism being highlighted. However, you'll see people all over social media cowardly not owning their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

England fans: "keep politics out of football"

Also England fans: "There were 10 German bombers in the air..."
    "No surrender to the IRA..."

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

England fans: "keep politics out of football"

Also England fans: "There were 10 German bombers in the air..."
    "No surrender to the IRA..."

The IRA took many knees themselves back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

In addition to my previous comment, taking the knee is just such an empty gesture and the only reason that this poltical gesture is the only one allowed in the game is that it benefits their brand and puts more money in their pockets.

Do you think your average slavic neo-nazi ultra is going to change their mind about all their preconceptions about race because Matt Doherty is taking a knee?:p

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    What do you think would happen if a non black player chose not to take a knee in an English premier league game or for the English national team?

Not that much I would say, especially if that player explained their reasons not to do so.

UEFA have made such a mess of keeping politics out of football they routinely fine clubs when their fans display Palestinian flags but when players ignore the kick off whistle en masse there is nothing done about it.

The banning of Palestinian flags, the racist hounding of McClean, the banning of other political activities makes all this just performative.

6 wrote: »
    It seems to be the go to argument against the gesture.

Basically, people aren't willing to own their views.

I'd respect someone's opinion more if they admitted they didn't actually like racism being highlighted. However, you'll see people all over social media cowardly not owning their opinion.

It's that attitude that pretty much bullies people into taking the knee.

Racism can be highlighted and opposed, and has been highlighted and opposed without taking the gesture associate with Gorge Floyd protests and the horrible BLM movement.

• Advertisement

Not that much I would say, especially if that player explained their reasons not to do so.

Ever hear of James McClean?

Advertisement