Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Not sure where you got that. That's neither stated nor implied in my sentence.

Just pointing out that victimhood is one of the dominant features of the modern right. It's all about grievance and a perception of persecution. It's not exclusive to the right either but when a right-winger states that they hate victimhood, the hypocrisy should be pointed out. It's not victimhood that they hate - they love victimhood, just not the victimhood of others.

And yet you can't string a sentence together without ramming it full of victim hood...

And you can't accept that the Feminist, Race and Trans gender grievance movements are drenched in victim hood and a perception of persecution....and are every where in media, the work place and politics and now sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Another far right outlet parroting white victimhood and ethnic nationalism. Joy.

"Far right" :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Not sure where you got that. That's neither stated nor implied in my sentence.

Just pointing out that victimhood is one of the dominant features of the modern right. It's all about grievance and a perception of persecution. It's not exclusive to the right either but when a right-winger states that they hate victimhood, the hypocrisy should be pointed out. It's not victimhood that they hate - they love victimhood, just not the victimhood of others.
    And yet you can't string a sentence together without ramming it full of victim hood...

And you can't accept that the Feminist, Race and Trans gender grievance movements are drenched in victim hood and a perception of persecution....and are every where in media, the work place and politics and now sport.
    Are you confused here...victim hood is victim hood, no one wants to hear about it in a football program.

Not sure what you're on about tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,083 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

hots wrote: »
    This is more like Infowars or OAN than Fox even, at least Fox for all it's faults trys to stay away from the total loons.

Only after said loons get caught sexually assaulting women.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Veneration of the victim - check

Genuflecting in honor of the victim - check

Denouncement of heretics - check

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

i very much enjoyed watching Andrew neils politics show on the BBC but thing they probably need more balance on contributors, like in that show they had both right and left leaning politicians so could have interesting debates. Even on Sky especially when doing the press preview segments they make sure to have contributors of opposing views.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

You have to remember that the station (before its launch) was labelled 'Right-wing/far-right/UK Fox news' by other media who were going to compete with them! About as sincere as a kiss from a brazer.

The people who booked the ads on the station on behalf of those clients would have to have got the OK from the clients – or the station – well flagged in advance, would have come up for discussion at a media planning stage with the clients - again getting an ok.

Rumble on yesterday, in my mind's eye, I see someone on a high horse making some sort of 'complaint' to these uber-sensitive brands - that they were now in collusion with the far right because they advertised on a station a couple of days old.

Brands now sh!t the bed. They don't want to be in trouble with the 'woke' generation fearing that they would never sell another flat-pack wardrobe or a natural laxative dressed up as a cider. They fain piety and pull the campaigns blaming everyone else.

And they all skip off down the yellow brick road made of MDF that one of them assembled.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

IRE60 wrote: »
    Rumble on yesterday, in my mind's eye, I see someone on a high horse making some sort of 'complaint' to these uber-sensitive brands - that they were now in collusion with the far right because they advertised on a station a couple of days old.

There was an organised campaign of twitter weirdos to prevent companies buying advertising on the station long before it had even started broadcasting. On the grounds that it was spreading hate. :D

What you're seeing in the UK is that a lot of companies are realising that the backash for indulging the whims of twitter pronoun weirdos is now worse than anything the weirdos can inflict. Companies the size of IKEA might be immune but brands like Grolsch not so much.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

The whingers including Piers Morgan are now boycotting or calling for a boycott of IKEA. But I thought the right were all against cancel culture?

In further devastating news for IKEA, Kate Hoey has said she won't purchase anything from there. Hopefully she'll buy a hairbrush with the money saved.

Maybe more brands will pull out after the channel was defending pedos last night. Quite embarrassing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

i very much enjoyed watching Andrew neils politics show on the BBC but thing they probably need more balance on contributors, like in that show they had both right and left leaning politicians so could have interesting debates. Even on Sky especially when doing the press preview segments they make sure to have contributors of opposing views.

It just shows the inherent value of good Editors and Producers and that's what the BBC have in spades.

In this particular medium, Andrew Neil has betrayed his own total lack of ability to present and critique with any kind of integrity. Its quite clear now that he has spent far too many years allowing folk to blow smoke up his arse about how good a political journalist and broadcaster he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

I didn't realise there was some previous twitterazi's on the ball.

If anyone is interested in the career of the founder:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p099hyjx

and his comments on the station being likened to Fox:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p099hw5z

(Naturally they were broadcast on Radio 4 - a veritable Bastion of the left!)

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    The whingers including Piers Morgan are now boycotting or calling for a boycott of IKEA. But I thought they were all against cancel culture?

Do you understand the difference between not shopping at a retailer and cancelling a person?

In fairness, you probably don't. The Motte and Bailey responses are so kneejerk and boilerplate that you can start to see why that old NPC meme upset so many people. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Bambi wrote: »
    Do you understand the difference between not shopping at a retailer and cancelling a person?

In fairness, you probably don't. The Motte and Bailey responses are so kneejerk and boilerplate that you can start to see why that old NPC meme upset so many people. :D

There's no such thing as cancel culture. If companies don't want to associate themselves with GB News and its crew of professional edgelords then that's their decision.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I can’t believe someone said boards is left-leaning.

I mean someone said that and was serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

GB news isn't a person either yet you're crying about companies not wanting to associate themselves with it and right whingers are crying saying its cancel culture. If you can't see the irony in calling for a boycott of IKEA after crying about cancel culture then you don't understand much if anything at all.

No idea what meme you're on about. Usually when someone posts a meme its because they're a bit slow and can't articulate a response of their own or they're 5. I'm sure it was beautiful meme though. Do you have a meme to defend pedos as well or are you saving that for the next time they defend Epstein and Andrew?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Personally, I'm looking forward to the day when Irish fans of it have to defend their revisionist pieces on Bloody Sunday. British right-wingers can't help themselves.

Could be amusing. Haven't watched it, but...
    Channel named "GB news" with heavy Union Jack branding...some more argy bargy with the EU on the horizon with Ireland and NI border unfortunately at the centre of it all, and obstructing the glory of Brexit.
    Doubt they'll be able to resist throwing a few digs our way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Faugheen wrote: »

Makes sense if you hold extremist views. Then centre-right conservatives and the far left are basically the same thing. A good example is the treatment of Liz Cheney in the US. She holds plenty of repugnant views but she dared to disagree once and now she's a pariah.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Not really?

Surely both are people saying , privately or publicly that they no longer wish to do engage/business with that person or entity?

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    GB news isn't a person either yet you're crying about companies not wanting to associate themselves with it

I am? :confused:

You might want to dig out that quote, so ye might.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There's no such thing as cancel culture. If companies don't want to associate themselves with GB News and its crew of professional edgelords then that's their decision.

Fundamentally , Cancel Culture and Freedom of expression are surely the same thing?

They are the Cause & Effect are they not?

Say what you want , but be prepared for some people to loudly disagree or to refuse to engage with you (and those that provide you support) anymore.

Survival is about ensuring that more people support you than not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭randd1

Am I getting this right?

To being with

- A new news channel, which brands itself as right wing and conservative before it even airs
    - Gets abused on twitter by left wing twitterati, "encouraging" companies/sponsors to withdraw or risk being cancelled/boycotted
    - Some companies/sponsors decied to pull sponsorship/advertising from the news channel for business reasons
    - Right wing supporters of the new news channel want said companies/sponsors cancelled/boycotted for pulling support

In summation

- Left wing twitter nuts want something they see is hateful cancelled, some companies/sposnors make a business decision not to get involved in bullsh*t, right wing twitter nuts want companies they see as woke cancelled.

Conclusions

- Twiiter is a cesspit of human depravity populated by a pathetic attention seeking cohort of angry, crazy €unts
    - Said €unts tend to be either left or right, but always want something cancelled/punished, and claim they're standing up for the good of everyone
    - The other 99% of us roll our eyes and wonder how humanity has reached the point where these angry, crazy €unts have a voice that people actually listen to instead of ignore
    - And that the angry, crazy €unts on either side are pretty much two cheeks of the same ars* that full of sh*t.

Have I got that right?

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Fundamentally , Cancel Culture and Freedom of expression are surely the same thing?

They are the Cause & Effect are they not?

Say what you want , but be prepared for some people to loudly disagree or to refuse to engage with you (and those that provide you support) anymore.

Survival is about ensuring that more people support you than not.

What they want is essentially rights without responsibility. They want free speech but stomp and wail when someone they don't like exercises the same right. They can't silence them so they dress dissent up as suppression.

H. H. Asquith

randd1 wrote: »

- Left wing twitter nuts want something they see is hateful cancelled, some companies/sposnors make a business decision not to get involved in bullsh*t, right wing twitter nuts want companies they see as woke cancelled.

Nobody is asking for a company to be cancelled. You can't cancel a company, unless that means closing the company down.

But individuals can choose to buy there, or not to buy there.

That's the opposite of cancelling individuals, which is about cancelling that individual for everyone - irrespective of personal choice; the decision is made on our behalf by a bunch of ideological extremists.

eskimohunt wrote: »
    Nobody is asking for a company to be cancelled. You can't cancel a company, unless that means closing the company down.

But individuals can choose to buy there, or not to buy there.

That's the opposite of cancelling individuals, which is about cancelling that individual for everyone - irrespective of personal choice; the decision is made on our behalf by a bunch of ideological extremists.
    Honestly, I can't tell the difference between the wacko's of either side, they just seem to me to want whatever they don't like removed.

Honestly, I can't tell the difference between the wacko's of either side, they just seem to me to want whatever they don't like removed.

Boycotting is not the same as cancellation.

Boycott = an individual choice based on personal preference / belief

Cancel = a decision made on our behalf not to listen to a person which we may have preference for

Cancel = a decision made on our behalf not to listen to a person which we may have preference for
    Isn't calling for a boycott "a decision made on our behalf not to engage with something which we may have preference for"?

I fail to see the difference in calling for something to be boycotted, and for something to be cancelled. They're both calling for something to be destroyed.

I'm not buying that differentiation really.

In your Cancel definition the decision isn't made "on your behalf" it's made by the commercial entity on their behalf and their behalf alone.

Take Tucker Carlson as an example - he thrives & survives not because Fox is some bastion of Free speech and anti-woke-ism.

He does so because financially he's worth more to them despite the significant bad press he generates and advertiser boycotts etc.

The second that calculation flips negative for Tucker however, he's gone - plain and simple.

That is the case across the board always has been , always will be.

No one is "cancelled" because someone of Twitter has a hissy fit per se.

They get "cancelled" when the ratio of boycotters exceeds supporters.

That's just how TV/Media works and has always worked - If a show isn't making money (or is a drag on their wider profits) they stop making it or change things up.

Isn't calling for a boycott "a decision made on our behalf not to engage with something which we may have preference for"?

I fail to see the difference in calling for something to be boycotted, and for something to be cancelled. They're both calling for something to be destroyed.

Not wishing to put words in Eskimos mouth but I suspect the differentiation is that a boycott is done privately and silently , whereas the Cancellation is shouting from the roof-tops.

In my early working days people spoke about "Walkers" and "Talkers" in terms of unhappy customers.

If you did something wrong/bad for a customer some will just walk away and simply never do business with you again (the "Walkers"). Talkers however will walk away AND tell all their friends about their experience to get them to walk away too.

For me , all that has happened here is that the "Talkers" now have a larger/louder platform to do what they have always done.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,202 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Not wishing to put words in Eskimos mouth but I suspect the differentiation is that a boycott is done privately and silently , whereas the Cancellation is shouting from the roof-tops.

In my early working days people spoke about "Walkers" and "Talkers" in terms of unhappy customers.

If you did something wrong/bad for a customer some will just walk away and simply never do business with you again (the "Walkers"). Talkers however will walk away AND tell all their friends about their experience to get them to walk away too.

For me , all that has happened here is that the "Talkers" now have a larger/louder platform to do what they have always done.

the definition of boycott seems to have changed then since it was first coined. Then it was a very public affair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Faugheen wrote: »

Boards.ie was very left leaning for a very long time. There was a huge upswing of lefties on here when 'woke' culture was but in it's infancy.

I've seen it move away from that in the last few years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement