Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

A better question world be, what can be done about it?

Either you ban it (goes against free speech) or you tolerate it (clearly not an option) - what other options are there?

Like it or not, fair or not, this is a tactic that is getting results and as long as it gets results and isn't against the law, people are going to keep doing it.

Absolutely - If sufficiently large enough numbers of people are saying that they do not agree with what you are saying or doing and in fact are so energised by their opposition that they are willing to make the effort to boycott you and/or groups that support you , then you have some reflecting to do.

It seems to me that the options are fairly clear
    • You can take the feedback on board and change your position to gain better alignment or agreement with the dissenters.
    • You can adjust your messaging so that people get a better understanding of your viewpoint and maybe they move a bit closer to your perspective.
    • Failing that, you stick to your guns and accept that your position is not palatable to the mainstream and as such will be relegated to the niche outlets/markets.

Refusing to take on board the feedback and complaining that no nobody likes you and it's just not fair that they are telling everyone that they don't like you really doesn't fix anything.

That's the definition of Victimhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Oh the Boards cancel gang are all over this thread :) The station must be doing something right
    Count pretty much summed up the lefties salt

https://twitter.com/CountDankulaTV/status/1404204382686752773?s=19

Salt in modern internet parlance refers to emotions such as anger.

From what I can see here, people are having a good old laugh at the next in a long line of right-wing "alternatives" floundering before their eyes.

You can call it salt if you like. It might make you feel better than accepting that the thing you like is seen as a joke by most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Hadron Collider

I just tuned in expecting to see far-right neo-Nazis goose-stepping through London, per some of the discussion here.

Instead, it's a discussion about wind power generation and the electricity grid.

How disappointing.

I just tuned in expecting to see far-right neo-Nazis goose-stepping through London, per some of the discussion here.

Where the hell did you get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Oh the Boards cancel gang are all over this thread :) The station must be doing something right

And like so many of these threads, the 'non-woke, non-PC' crowd were the ones who saw fit to start the discussion...

• Advertisement

And like so many of these threads, the 'non-woke, non-PC' crowd were the ones who saw fit to start the discussion...

Yeah but they were hoping for more of an echo chamber. How were they to know that there would be open discussion in a discussion forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Hadron Collider

Where the hell did you get that?

From many of the posts here.
    Another far right outlet parroting white victimhood and ethnic nationalism. Joy.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

They are attacking the companies advertisers.

It is wrong.

Now, if GBNews didn't see this coming that is their own fault, but this is not the free market if media companies are being pressured by groups, who we know little of, are exerting undue influence on advertisers.

We wouldn't tolerate this from the Church, we shouldn't tolerate it from these head bangers either.

What's wrong about it?

Freedom of speech works both ways

• Registered Users Posts: 16,387 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Faugheen wrote: »
    I can’t believe someone said boards is left-leaning.

I mean someone said that and was serious.

The Mods here are all lefties.

From many of the posts here.

But if I heard that, I wouldn't be expecting goose-stepping nazis. That's only a small subset of the far right, one that's not likely to be aired on tv. A lot of the far right like to distance themselves from swastikas and the likes.

Honestly, it's the last thing I would expect but that's just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,958 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I've seen a little bit and don't see what all the fuss is about. Bit of a let down actually was hoping for something a little fresher, innovative etc.

Wouldn't exactly rate the so called high profile presenters who may be wondering why they gave up good jobs in a few months as this won't last. The market for rolling news is saturated, there's almost a 30 second time lag in the news Sky and BBC news do and CNN international seems to just be teles shopping for obscure Nigerian Banks and Mobile phone companies, just awful repetitive S*****, I find myself wishing for breaking news so they cut into CNN US edition.

GB news is wishful thinking for its backers and technically pretty amateurish, I give it 6 months, it will quietly close, go online and its presenters will be back begging for their Jobs back and will likely end up on grave yard shifts.

There's one particularly dissapointing aspect to this story, I'd hoped the Odious kay Burley would have joined GB news and dissappear for good :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Lol.

Okay then.

Neil interviewing Sunak now. Interesting.

Left of what? I think a lot of people are incorrectly planting themselves in the middle.

In any case, if you're correct, perhaps it might be time for the right to get into better online shape and pull themselves up by the bootstraps to achieve the lofty plains of moddom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Morgans

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I've seen a little bit and don't see what all the fuss is about. Bit of a let down actually was hoping for something a little fresher, innovative etc.

Wouldn't exactly rate the so called high profile presenters who may be wondering why they gave up good jobs in a few months as this won't last. The market for rolling news is saturated, there's almost a 30 second time lag in the news Sky and BBC news do and CNN international seems to just be teles shopping for obscure Nigerian Banks and Mobile phone companies, just awful repetitive S*****, I find myself wishing for breaking news so they cut into CNN US edition.

GB news is wishful thinking for its backers and technically pretty amateurish, I give it 6 months, it will quietly close, go online and its presenters will be back begging for their Jobs back and will likely end up on grave yard shifts.

There's one particularly dissapointing aspect to this story, I'd hoped the Odious kay Burley would have joined GB news and dissappear for good :)

There is clearly a market for victimhood out there, you'd just have expected it to be delivered in a more professional manner. You don't have to look too hard to find examples of people who do it well.

What is funny here is the fans of the channel are pretending that the 'leftists' are outraged at GB News, when most on this thread are laughing at how bad they are at the 2014-18 triggering game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Morgans wrote: »
    What is funny here is the fans of the channel are pretending that the 'leftists' are outraged at GB News, when most on this thread are laughing at how bad they are at the 2014-18 triggering game.

I’ve noticed this too, and I’d add that a few have resorted to throwing around childish insults (bedwetters and the like) because so far it’s not possible to objectively defend either the output or the production on GB News.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    I’ve noticed this too, and I’d add that a few have resorted to throwing around childish insults (bedwetters and the like) because so far it’s not possible to objectively defend either the output or the production on GB News.

The interview on now about pensions, fiscal deficits and income tax is very interesting. I doubt you've watched any of the channel though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lefties salt?

The last few pages have been a few posters roaring crying about their beloved channel loosing sponsors :pac:

Morgans wrote: »
    There is clearly a market for victimhood out there, you'd just have expected it to be delivered in a more professional manner. You don't have to look too hard to find examples of people who do it well.

That frozen fish heir from Fox is great at it. He has a well produced show where he discusses how difficult life is for white people in the United States and how the left is responsible. He's clearly an intelligent man but during his show he pretends to be stupid enough that his audience finds him to be genuine. He'll even bring on guests, sometimes to shout at them, other times he'll get someone from the oil industry to explain why global warming isn't happening and that global warming is a good thing.

GammonBox TV could learn a thing or two from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

The interview on now about pensions, fiscal deficits and income tax is very interesting. I doubt you've watched any of the channel though.

I’ve watched a bit, none today though. I actually liked Andrew Neil when he was on the BBC but the 20 minutes or so I watched last night and the Woke Watch segment on the NT in particular was appallingly bad.

He even mispronounced Rishi Sunak’s name when promoting tonight’s interview but I’m sure it was an excellent interview, he’s really good at the more straight and serious topics.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Faugheen wrote: »

Is that, the horrid person who was a contestant on the equally horrid "the apprentice"? She used to be on a sky panel show, so awful I can't even remember what it was called

Smee_Again wrote: »
    I’ve watched a bit, none today though. I actually liked Andrew Neil when he was on the BBC but the 20 minutes or so I watched last night and the Woke Watch segment on the NT in particular was appallingly bad.

He even mispronounced Rishi Sunak’s name when promoting tonight’s interview but I’m sure it was an excellent interview, he’s really good at the more straight and serious topics.

There's no doubting his interview skills albeit not a patch on Jeremy Paxman :) but I just don't get his involvement in this project, GB news

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Channel is a joke, the technical gaffs constantly, the awful sound quality. Dan Wootton is about as much of a news host as I am an Olympic Shotputter. Hard to see how this lasts. The content varies from reasonable to ridiculous at an astonishing rate. Dead by Xmas imho.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Channel is a joke, the technical gaffs constantly, the awful sound quality. Dan Wootton is about as much of a news host as I am an Olympic Shotputter. Hard to see how this lasts. The content varies from reasonable to ridiculous at an astonishing rate. Dead by Xmas imho.

They might have put the bar on the floor so that everything after that will be an improvement in terms of production.

Given their desire to mimic Fox, given the contacts Neil and other backers in the media world would have, I'm surprised at how bad it sounds.
    Haven't watched it apart from some clips on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Firblog

Just wondering, what the hell did GBN actually broadcast that got people so angry that they're organizing to try and get advertisers to pull all their adverts? For that to happen in just 2/3 days it must have been something spectacularly hurtful/insensitive/racist/sexist/homophobic or mixture thereof, what was it? can someone post a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Firblog wrote: »
    Just wondering, what the hell did GBN actually broadcast that got people so angry that they're organizing to try and get advertisers to pull all their adverts? For that to happen in just 2/3 days it must have been something spectacularly hurtful/insensitive/racist/sexist/homophobic or mixture thereof, what was it? can someone post a link?

Lady C trying to claim that Epstein wasn't a Paedo as he only targeted post pubescent underage girls was particularly egregious.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Lady C trying to claim that Epstein wasn't a Paedo as he only targeted post pubescent underage girls was particularly egregious.

I understood IKEA were actually not aware they were being advertised on GB news, apparently the agency they use purchased air time without consulting them? (Open to correction) however in their statement they said quite categorically they were not aware, I don't believe it was any specific story that upset them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Firblog wrote: »

They started broadcasting, that's what got them angry...the campaign to pressure the advertisers has obviously been planned for some time.

The Industry knows all about this, so you'd imagine they knew it was coming.

• Advertisement

They started broadcasting, that's what got them angry...the campaign to pressure the advertisers has obviously been planned for some time.

The Industry knows all about this, so you'd imagine they knew it was coming.

They don't about mic-check though apparently, what's that about?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement