Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

eskimohunt wrote: »
    Boards.ie generally has a Left-lean to it, and so it should come as no surprise that once GB News formed, they are doing their best to downplay the channel as much as possible.

As for Lady C, nobody could predict she'd say something as stupid as that. Hardly the fault of GB News. Lady C has been on BBC, ITV, Sky; all over the place.

interesting that she feels more comfortable spouting nonsense like that on GB News. She understands the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

eskimohunt wrote:
    I'm more interested in the conversations rather than what the studio looks like.

The conversations are as dull and insipid as the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The thing is though, I'm not really convinced GB News is "right leaning" at all, I think if anything it's more clued into the attitudes and opinions of the vast majority of the British people.

There's an extremely vocal minority, particularly in the "West", who are pushing an agenda of absolute bolloxolgy on places like Twitter. What mystifies me is why anyone with any sort of rational mind actually pays attention to these dingbats?

Its not really about right or left, conservative or liberal anymore.
    Thats not an accurate way to understand the current cultural moment.
    A far more accurate lens is cognitive liberty: those who demand you think a certain way are on one side while those who do not are on the other.

The former, often referred to as the left, takes its vision far more seriously than it takes the rights of other people.
    They want to be our shepherds.
    But that requires us to be sheep.

Cazale wrote: »
    The conversations are as dull and insipid as the studio.

That's great, you can switch to Channel 4 then. :cool:

Its not really about right or left, conservative or liberal anymore.
    A far more accurate lens is cognitive liberty: those who demand you think a certain way are on one side while those who do not are on the other.

The former, often referred to as the left, takes its vision far more seriously than it takes the rights of other people.
    They want to be our shepherds.
    But that requires us to be sheep.

LOL. yeah GB News is really for the free-thinkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

eskimohunt wrote:
    That's great, you can switch to Channel 4 then.

I'm not English.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,790 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

biko wrote: »
    The people opposing this news channel they don't even watch are pretty active here and Twitter.

They're just criticising it which is fair. I wish conservatives would drop the whole wailing victimhood thing.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Penn wrote: »
    "GB News is going to give a voice to those ignored by the mainstream media! It's going to speak to the silent majority of the the country, the true British people, and what they want to hear!"

GB News Guest: "Jeffrey Epstein technically wasn't a paedophile, and the Prince Andrew accusations aren't as bad as BILL CLINTON!!!!"
    https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1404939123106975744?s=20

They're also getting hit with reading out texts or emails from the likes of Mike Hunt and Mike Oxlong :D

This is more like Infowars or OAN than Fox even, at least Fox for all it's faults trys to stay away from the total loons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭archfi

I haven't watched it yet bar 10 minutes on their website on Sunday.
    I now know it's not a news channel as such, more a full on opinion/analysis channel.

Yes, the production values are amateurish which will hurt it if that continues (there are many, many YouTube shows with much higher production values) and I would probably only tune in the very odd time unless it becomes more must-see with guaranteed balanced panels - of course that would depend on the 'other side' contributors not 'cancelling/boycotting' it. People would do well to remember the UK has a broadcasting code which GB News will have to comply with.
    The pretty pathetic crowing over Ikea etc announcing pulling potential paying adverts is one for the Woke Thread to be honest - the thundering hypocrisy cannot be washed from any stable, logical persons eyes.
    I think maybe people in the UK should stop funding 'Stop Funding Hate', it's clearly not fit for purpose when it conveniently forgets to target the same corporates for actual shítty and real world damaging behaviour.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They're just criticising it which is fair. I wish conservatives would drop the whole wailing victimhood thing.

Indeed - Whilst certainly in the US some of the aspects of "woke-ism" has definitely gone to far, those on the perceived "right" seem utterly incapable of taking criticism.

Someone saying that they don't like you or something that you said is not them "cancelling you" , it's just them saying they don't like you.

As another poster said it is not longer left vs. right (if it ever really was) and both those terms are meaningless really today.

Freedom to say what you want is not freedom from people telling you they don't like it , not is it freedom from them choosing not to do business with you (or businesses that support you).

Their ability to do that is just as important a freedom as the ability for people to speak their minds in the first place.

I absolutely don't agree with what some are currently doing - trawling back through decades of peoples public statements etc. looking for something to be offended by without applying any lens of the culture at the time or indeed of the personal journey/development that people might have had since then.

That's not saying that everyone gets a free pass for previous behaviour , but there's a limit to what makes sense.

Bottom line , if you want freedom to "say it like it is" , then you must also expect and accept all the feedback and reactions that generates , both good and bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

eskimohunt wrote: »
    I'm more interested in the conversations rather than what the studio looks like.

And Andrew Neil is interviewing Chancellor Sunak tonight at 8pm.

Again, that interview interests me far more than the aesthetics around it.

Personally, I can't listen to something if the audio is off, I can handle poor quality video or low bitrate audio but stuff like echo and gain is a killer, this sounds like a sound system that was set up for a packed auditorium being used when the venue is empty. give that this is supposed to be going out on radio too, it would need sorting. I'm not sure what the idea of launching a legacy media channel when legacy media is stone dead for people below a certain age was but there you go.
    ts not really about right or left, conservative or liberal anymore.

Good summation, but..but the BBC are'nt left :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Kirsty Gallacher?

No , not her

apparently her name is Michelle Dewberry

Michelle Dewberry

shes pretty poor from what i observed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

You can't watch Match of the Day without someone's victim hood being shoved down your throat...we want less victim hood, not more!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,790 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Indeed - Whilst certainly in the US some of the aspects of "woke-ism" has definitely gone to far, those on the perceived "right" seem utterly incapable of taking criticism.

Someone saying that they don't like you or something that you said is not them "cancelling you" , it's just them saying they don't like you.

As another poster said it is not longer left vs. right (if it ever really was) and both those terms are meaningless really today.

Freedom to say what you want is not freedom from people telling you they don't like it , not is it freedom from them choosing not to do business with you (or businesses that support you).

Their ability to do that is just as important a freedom as the ability for people to speak their minds in the first place.

I absolutely don't agree with what some are currently doing - trawling back through decades of peoples public statements etc. looking for something to be offended by without applying any lens of the culture at the time or indeed of the personal journey/development that people might have had since then.

That's not saying that everyone gets a free pass for previous behaviour , but there's a limit to what makes sense.

Bottom line , if you want freedom to "say it like it is" , then you must also expect and accept all the feedback and reactions that generates , both good and bad.

It's all reminiscent of The Boy who cried Wolf. By incessantly citing each and every tiny little bit of criticism as some form of oppression, the conservative narrative has both lost all meaning and been completely reduced to a single statement.

The fundamental flaw of GB News is that they've taken something that was previously done either for free or for very little expense and artifically inserted a significant amount of cost for no observable gain.

To be honest, if I want to hear the "Woke is bad and criticism equals suppression" statement yet again, I can go to Twitter, Facebook, Youtube or here. It doesn't really make a difference whether I read it off a screen or listen to a video but when it's a news channel, I expect a lot more production values than the exact same narrative and some tacky furniture.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

You can't watch Match of the Day without someone's victim hood being shoved down your throat...we want less victim hood, not more!

There's a difference between actual victimhood and pretend victimhood. Perhaps the snowflakes who go to matches need a safe space.

H. H. Asquith

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No British nationalist is concerned about the Union. Not insofar as it extends to Northern Ireland anyway.

That's the great irony, Poots & Co are fighting for homogeneity with people who aren't actually like them at all and who are at best ambivalent about their place in the UK.

And so the moniker GB News, is the most soberly accurate thing about it.

yes but Andrew Neil is a staunch Scottish unionists and thus is very keen on Northern Ireland also remaining in the union

the target audience admittedly are probably "english nationalists"

by the way there is nothing inherently wrong with being an "english nationalist" , if England want to go their own way , thats up to them

less victim hood or less victims?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

biko wrote: »
    The people opposing this news channel they don't even watch are pretty active here and Twitter.

Most are having a laugh, in fairness.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the day when Irish fans of it have to defend their revisionist pieces on Bloody Sunday. British right-wingers can't help themselves.

we want less victim hood, not more!

No you don't. Victimhood is the dominant right-wing obsession these days.

• Advertisement

There's a difference between actual victimhood and pretend victimhood. Perhaps the snowflakes who go to matches need a safe space.

Are you confused here...victim hood is victim hood, no one wants to hear about it in a football program.

Snowflakes at a football match? Have you ever been to one? It's no place for snow flakes...

Snowflakes at a football match? Have you ever been to one? It's no place for snow flakes...

It's the perfect place IME and, yes, I have attended matches. People losing their heads over absolutely nothing sounds like snowflake behaviour to me.

H. H. Asquith

Are you confused here...victim hood is victim hood, no one wants to hear about it in a football program.

In fairness, if they're getting offended by issues of racism being highlighted as if it's somehow ruining the match. Then that's making themselves into a victim and matches with snowflake stuff.

No you don't. Victimhood is the dominant right-wing obsession these days.

So the Feminist, Race, Trans Gender movements are all right wingers are they?

It's the perfect place IME and, yes, I have attended matches. People losing their heads over absolutely nothing sounds like snowflake behaviour to me.

So football supporters are snow flakes now..............riiiiiiiight!!!

In fairness, if they're getting offended by issues of racism being highlighted as if it's somehow ruining the match. Then that's making themselves into a victim and matches with snowflake stuff.

Complete nonsense.

There have been great programs dealing with racism in football for years, to excellent effect....you don't hear racism in any form in a football stadium in the UK....and haven't done for a long long time.

So football supporters are snow flakes now..............riiiiiiiight!!!

I suggest you read my post again.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Well , exactly - The chants etc. coming from Soccer fans is pretty appalling to be honest.

Calling them out on it is a good thing.

Does "not being a place for snowflakes" simply mean that if you are offended by racism, misogyny and general sh!tty behaviour then don't come to soccer matches?

If all they wanted was to "watch the game" they wouldn't feel the need to be so vitriolic from the stands.

Again seems like people looking not only for freedom to say what they want but also freedom from the consequences of it too.

So the Feminist, Race, Trans Gender movements are all right wingers are they?

Not sure where you got that. That's neither stated nor implied in my sentence.

Just pointing out that victimhood is one of the dominant features of the modern right. It's all about grievance and a perception of persecution. It's not exclusive to the right either but when a right-winger states that they hate victimhood, the hypocrisy should be pointed out. It's not victimhood that they hate - they love victimhood, just not the victimhood of others.

• Advertisement

I suggest you read my post again.

I'm not going to bother to be honest...you've been trying to make some kind of a point and you aren't making any sense...."there is a difference between actual victims and pretend victims"...you are too slick for me!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement