Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A big improvement on yesterday in terms of sunshine. Very sunny this morning and temperature of 18C.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Cracking day in North Donegal today.

Nice heat too.

You wouldn't know the school year was approaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Out here we have a total mist/drizzle out! No mountains, no ocean and to venture outside is to be drenched fast.

Wonderful!

Giving summer 10/10 anyways. each season is itself.

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    It rarely gets anywhere near 30 in Dublin.

Last summer it was up around 27 and 28 quite a bit. At least it felt that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Two known dates that 30c was observed in Dublin at an official station was 2 August 1990 and 19 July 2006 so it’s possible but very very rare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 mattyff

Autumn in the air now!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Right now in my garden in Dublin its a warm glorious summer day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭4Ad

Beautiful in East Clare, 21 degrees...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I just realised that I recorded 30 on the 28th June last year. But there weren't very many 27s or 28s over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

NIMAN wrote: »
    Cracking day in North Donegal today.

Nice heat too.

You wouldn't know the school year was approaching.

And within an hour it has clouded over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Not a regular in the weather forum but is there any way to check weather of dates gone by this year or in years past, specifically rainfall? i.e if I wanted to check how much it rained on a specific date last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Not a regular in the weather forum but is there any way to check weather of dates gone by this year or in years past, specifically rainfall? i.e if I wanted to check how much it rained on a specific date last year.
    https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/daily-data
    https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/historical-data

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

highdef wrote: »
    1/10 + 7/10 + 3/10 ÷ 3 = 3/10, rounded to the nearest whole number. How did you get 5/10 from your individual ratings for each month?

You could also argue that different weightings should apply to different months. With higher values attributed to the traditionally warmer months of July and August.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Athenry has had 227mm of rain thus far in August (average Aug is 107mm).

Dublin Airport 89mm thus far (average 73mm)

The rainfall difference between east and west is huge.

Funnily the washout day on saturday Aug 10th had only 27mm of rain there with the vast majority recorded over just 2 hours in the afternoon.

Thanks for that link syran.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Dull and overcast in Castlebar, temperatures are struggling to break 15C here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Athenry has had 227mm of rain thus far in August (average Aug is 107mm).

Dublin Airport 89mm thus far (average 73mm)

Funnily the washout day on saturday Aug 10th had only 27mm of rain there with the vast majority recorded over just 2 hours in the afternoon.

Thanks for that link syran.

I have found in the last 10 year or so that outside of the winter months August has been our wettest month, 11 Augusts straight now of having 100mm of rain or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Was that date your day off by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Phoenix got above 25 degrees 10 times last summer across June, July and August. Above 27 just the 4 times (max 27.7 at a quick glance). Closer to me in Glasnevin it was also 10 days but 5 of those came in August which was outside the really fine summer weather of June and July. Many of those days stayed below 25.

We definitely get it good in Dublin but we do struggle hitting those maxes further inland stations get. It's a consequence of our fine weather usually coming with sea breezes or easterlies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Every mile west makes a difference. Even here at Dunshaughlin, only 20 minutes from the Airport and we've had 114mm of rain, a difference of about 26mm from the Airport.

Phoenix Park is lower still at only 66mm, close to half the amount of rainfall of places just down the road.

• Advertisement

John.Icy wrote: »
    Phoenix got above 25 degrees 10 times last summer across June, July and August. Above 27 just the 4 times (max 27.7 at a quick glance). Closer to me in Glasnevin it was also 10 days but 5 of those came in August which was outside the really fine summer weather of June and July. Many of those days stayed below 25.

We definitely get it good in Dublin but we do struggle hitting those maxes further inland stations get. It's a consequence of our fine weather usually coming with sea breezes or easterlies.

Dublin rarely exceeds 25C unless there is exceptional circumstances such as direct hit high pressure, high upper air temperatures, no Atlantic fronts trying to break through and light offshore winds usually from a ssw direction.

The easterly breezes usually keeps Dublin several degrees cooler in the summer and up to 5 or 6C cooler in May when there is high pressure with easterly breezes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

And the differences within the west is even huger. Only 71.4mm in Belmullet, making it the second driest station (and only marginally higher than PP) in the entire country this August so far.

Will be interesting to see if Athenry will break its August rainfall records this year, though personally, I think it will fall way short.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Beautiful afternoon here after a cloudy morning. Blue skies and sunshine and lovely and warm.

Xenji wrote: »
    Dull and overcast in Castlebar, temperatures are struggling to break 15C here today.

Yep. Apart from some sunny periods yesterday afternoon, its been dull & drizzly the last few days in contrast to the East.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Another absolute cracker of a day
    Drove from Kilkenny to Arklow in wall to wall Sun

• Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Big line of bath towels dried in two hours ! Thats my measure of a good summers day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Stunning day, was in Fort Lucan earlier with the kids for a few hours, stopped off in dunshauglin for dinner and now home and off out to football, great day and plenty of sun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Dark, grey and cool in Letterkenny all day after some brief sunshine this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Left North Kerry this morning under blanket cloud and threat of rain.. and car saying 16 degrees

By Limerick it was 22 degrees doing motorway driving according to the car. And blue skies all the way from about Moneygall to Dublin.

I simply could not be doing with the weather down there. Crap all weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Absolutely beautiful day in Kilkenny- probably the best of this little settled spell (so far).

Advertisement