Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A lovely bright morning in Dublin but a bit of a nip in the air this early .I guess it will warm up later .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Raining heavy enough in Cork City - wasn't expecting this, this morning. It feels like the first autumn/winter like morning and traffic was heavier too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Beautiful sunny morning in dublin 5

On a separate note I dont think anyone claims Dublin is like California but I do think it's a reasonably pleasant climate. I would say for every 10 times I walk to work there are probably only a couple where an umbrella is needed. Certainly wet days are in the minority. I travel to the west a lot and I experience probably double the rain when I have been there.

A friend of mine moved from cork to Dublin and he would often comment how much better and drier the weather is in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

OldRio wrote: »
    Rain.

Has been rather heavy in the last hour since I woke up south east direction outside Limerick city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

compsys wrote: »
    Statistically the east is warmer, drier and sunnier than the west. That’s just a fact.

Yes it is, but not really by much.

I'm just looking at the August stats here and your claim that 'the west is drenched and cool at 17c' does not add up. My 2 nearest stations (Athenry & Claremorris) have a current mean max temperature of 19.1c & 19.0c respectively, while Newport is on 19.3c with Mt. Dillon on 20.2c, It is really only the exposed rocky headlands that are anyway 'cool'. (Mace & Malin both on 18.0c)

This compares favorably with their eastern counterparts such as Casement: 19.8c, Dublin A: 19.6 and Dunsany: 19.6c & Mullingar 19.5c. It is really only P. Park that stands out with its 20.6c,

For me, this summer in the west has been very warm and insufferably humid, and despite the high rainfall totals, there is very few times it where it has actually rained. Can't wait to see the back of it.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Dark, grey and wet once again, depressing.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Yes it is, but not really by much.

I'm just looking at the August stats here and your claim that 'the west is drenched and cool at 17c' does not add up. My 2 nearest stations (Athenry & Claremorris) have a current mean max temperature of 19.1c & 19.0c respectively, while Newport is on 19.3c with Mt. Dillon on 20.2c, It is really only the exposed rocky headlands that are anyway 'cool'. (Mace & Malin both on 18.0c)

This compares favorably with their eastern counterparts such as Casement: 19.8c, Dublin A: 19.6 and Dunsany: 19.6c & Mullingar 19.5c. It is really only P. Park that stands out with its 20.6c,

For me, this summer in the west has been very warm and insufferably humid, and despite the high rainfall totals, there is very few times it where it has actually rained. Can't wait to see the back of it.

Yes but if you look at annual averages there is quite a big difference. Phoenix park and casement have been as low as 660mm and 680mm for a whole calendar year. They frequently come in around 700mm. Parts of the west coast can be over 1,500mm. Cork has had almost the equivalent of a full year of Dublin rainfall and it’s only August!

For me Kilkenny has the warmest weather but Dublin is statistically the driest place in Ireland and seems to consistently be every year, for whatever reason

Yes but if you look at annual averages there is quite a big difference. Phoenix park and casement have been as low as 660mm and 680mm for a whole calendar year. They frequently come in around 700mm. Parts of the west coast can be over 1,500mm. Cork has had almost the equivalent of a full year of Dublin rainfall and it’s only August!

For me Kilkenny has the warmest weather but Dublin is statistically the driest place in Ireland and seems to consistently be every year, for whatever reason

Dublin might have less rainfall than the rest of the country, but is it 'drier' in the literal sense? I would imagine that Dublin's annual average number damp/wet days is barely any less than most other parts. I do know that we in the west do, on average, get a higher number of very wet days (20mm+) on average than the east, but for days with 1.0mm or less, I am not so sure, but am open to being informed.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Dublin might have less rainfall than the rest of the country, but is it 'drier' in the literal sense? I would imagine that Dublin's annual average number damp/wet days is barely any less than most other parts. I do know that we in the west do, on average, get a higher number of very wet days (20mm+) on average than the east, but for days with 1.0mm or less, I am not so sure, but am open to being informed.

I don’t know where that data is available but I would take it with a pinch of salt. Getting 2-3mm in a day you might not even notice it it could be a shower lasting 15 mins. All I know is Dublin for me more often feels dry than wet (still not suggesting we have a sunny climate!!). I would play a fair bit of golf over the years where you would be out for 3-4 hours on the course. I could usually count on one hand the amount of times I would have the waterproofs on in Dublin. When I play links golf in the west, you would frequently get drenched. Certainly would have the waterproofs out about 70% of rounds you play. The showers in Dublin also don’t tend to be as heavy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,065 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Damp and dark in Castlebar.Its not going to change much today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Average number of wet/rain days for some stations can be found here: https://www.met.ie/climate/30-year-averages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭compsys

I don’t know where that data is available but I would take it with a pinch of salt. Getting 2-3mm in a day you might not even notice it it could be a shower lasting 15 mins. All I know is Dublin for me more often feels dry than wet (still not suggesting we have a sunny climate!!). I would play a fair bit of golf over the years where you would be out for 3-4 hours on the course. I could usually count on one hand the amount of times I would have the waterproofs on in Dublin. When I play links golf in the west, you would frequently get drenched. Certainly would have the waterproofs out about 70% of rounds you play. The showers in Dublin also don’t tend to be as heavy

The ME monthly bulletin/round-up gives this info as far as I know. The don't just measure rainfall but also 'dry days' with rainfall below 1mm I think and 'wet days' being defined as days with more than 5mm. Again, the east also comes out 'drier'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

another normal awful day in cork city lot of rain and its dark and grey -regarding dublins weather compared to cork ya Dublin is like the med compared to here allright it feels like its raining constantly here -and so far 2 days without rain in cork city for august

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Nice sunny enough morning so far in Arklow
    Friday looks like our next significant rain up this way

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Average number of wet/rain days for some stations can be found here: https://www.met.ie/climate/30-year-averages

Thanks for that, so it averages 42 days per year in Dublin with over 5mm of rain. I think the stat for less than 1mm are a bit pointless. I mean that could mean a drizzle for 15 minutes out of 24 hours counts as a wet day!

42 days with more than 5mm of rainfall over a full year doesn’t seem like an awful lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭compsys

The weather today perfectly encapsulates the east/west divide that people have been debating and which is so common in Ireland.

It's been dry and sunny all day in Dublin with temperatures up to 20 degrees now, while most of the rest of the country is under rain, cloud and drizzle.

Yes, rain is on way to Dublin but by the time it gets here it'll be lighter and means we'll still have gotten a half-decent day.

This is what happens so often in Ireland and which is why Dublin, which is by no means the new California!, has a better climate than further west.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's partly to mostly cloudy here now and the temperature's 20.4C.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    Guess what?
    It’s raining in east Galway

13mm and rising

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I passed a playground at 7:45 this evening full of kids enjoying the last rays of sunshine . Gorgeous day here in Dublin

Love your posts; thank you.

Trying to brighten here; very still and a little ominous. West Mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

After another sunny morning here in the NE it has become overcast within the last hour a lot quicker than what was forecast by the reliable Met Éireann :rolleyes:

Quick table showing No. of days with temps greater than temps referred to in table at all of the reporting Met Eireann stations.

KQTMXaO.png

I'll try to do a more in-depth report of this summer at the end of month.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

13mm and rising

15 and more to come

15 and more to come
    Lightweight...

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Misery...Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The rain has came back in Castlebar after a dry few hours, dull and overcast again with 14mm if rain since midnight, temperature hovering around 15C.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mizzly and more out here. wet!

west mayo offshore

The weather today perfectly encapsulates the east/west divide that people have been debating and which is so common in Ireland.

It's been dry and sunny all day in Dublin with temperatures up to 20 degrees now, while most of the rest of the country is under rain, cloud and drizzle.

Yes, rain is on way to Dublin but by the time it gets here it'll be lighter and means we'll still have gotten a half-decent day.

This is what happens so often in Ireland and which is why Dublin, which is by no means the new California!, has a better climate than further west.

You're so right. I work in Dublin city and live in Bettystown. Left home this morning to fabulous sunshine and the sun was bouncing off the Sean O Casey bridge and Liffey going over it at 9am. Still lovely and warm at lunchtime but cloudier. We really genuinely do get a lovely climate on the East and North East coast - but the closer to the actual coastline the better. Sunsets and sunrises these last few mornings have been incredible as has most of the Summer. And that's not a lie.

I also hiked in Sligo, Donegal, Leitrim and Antrim in July and got incredible photos, didn't get rain once - maybe I just got lucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

You're so right. I work in Dublin city and live in Bettystown. Left home this morning to fabulous sunshine and the sun was bouncing off the Sean O Casey bridge and Liffey going over it at 9am. Still lovely and warm at lunchtime but cloudier. We really genuinely do get a lovely climate on the East and North East coast - but the closer to the actual coastline the better. Sunsets and sunrises these last few mornings have been incredible as has most of the Summer. And that's not a lie.

I also hiked in Sligo, Donegal, Leitrim and Antrim in July and got incredible photos, didn't get rain once - maybe I just got lucky?
    Definitely some excellent sunsets and sunrises this summer (April was my favourite month for them due to the frequent hazy skies) but 13 July and last night's sunsets were the absolute best in my opinion. Volcanic sunsets have amazing colours. I have made a negative fuss about this summer all the way along but sunsets have been a plus generally to me.

Last night over the Malahide Estuary for instance:

iSihOwu.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

I disagree. Just back from an hour long walk in the Dublin 8 area and the weather is dull, cool and damp, just like the rest of the country. Certainly no warm sunshine in Dublin City this lunchtime :p

489227.jpg

Advertisement