Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Andrew00 wrote: »
    England have had an amazing summer. Another scorcer there today 26 odd degrees

June was a total washout in england too but they had a very good july

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Glorious evening now, blue sky and sunshine, although i can see parts of northwest meath, cavan, monaghan are still possibly under cloud

Ended up a lovely afternoon in Dublin. The day started out cloudy but it's been lovely this afternoon and it's still 20 degrees at Phoenix park and casement at 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Nice mostly sunny evening here and 20.3C. The high today was 21.6C just over an hour ago.

There seems to be very much a divide in opinion among people in Dublin on this summer. I find it so odd that some are giving it a 4/10. I would that thought 6 at the very least. Each to their own. The disappointing part was that for all the warm weather from July to early August, the max was only 27 degrees. Would have been nice to push for 30 but last summer was a very tough one to follow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Still 21.5c and sunny in Arklow at 740 pm,what a cracker for late summer
    Feels continental !

I was reading up on the magical summer of 1995. Apparently kilkenny had 27 days where the thermometer went over 25 degrees!

I remember that summer vividly, it was one for the ages

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I was reading up on the magical summer of 1995. Apparently kilkenny had 27 days where the thermometer went over 25 degrees!

I remember that summer vividly, it was one for the ages
    Yes and from June to August 1995, the country as a whole saw at least 48 days with a max temperature of 25.0c or more somewhere. Some summers struggled to reach even one 25c day like 2012 or 2015 so 48 days is something else..

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yes and from June to August 1995, the country as a whole saw at least 48 days with a max temperature of 25.0c or more somewhere. Some summers struggled to reach even one 25c day like 2012 or 2015 so 48 days is something else..

It really was incredible. Felt like I was living in Southern California that summer. Didn’t even have to look at the forecast each day, you just knew the sun and warm weather would keep on coming

Coming up to that time of year again!

7LWJz6K.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today was definitely a letdown here at Dunshaughlin. Completely overcast till about 6pm or 6.30pm, managed to get an hour of sunshine before sunset but lacked the warmth of the past few days due to the extended cloud cover. Max here today was around 19C, hopefully tomorrow will be a bit sunnier, one more day of dry settled conditions before the muck rolls in from Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

If there's been one saving grace this summer here its that we've had a lot of nice late evenings. Cloud cleared around 8pm, too late for any worthwhile sunshine but a nice bright end to the day again

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Tuesday not looking great
    Friday terrible
    Will hit 300mm in Athenry
    But at least it wasn't too hot this year
    That heat in the Summer last year was terrible.........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭appledrop

Today was a day of two halfs a bit like this summer!

Was cloudy in North County Dublin all morning but humid. We knew sun was due later so headed to Skerries. It was glorious from 3pm onwards. Light breeze but so nice. Great to see everyone out soaking up last of summer sun.

I'd give this summer a 5/10. June was woeful the worst I ever remember so that's a 1/10. July was nice here in Dublin, warm not sunny all the time but very little rain. A 7/10. Would have needed a few days of higher temperatures to bring it up. August not good. I hear it was nice first few days but I was away for that + time I had off had torrential rain for 5 days in a row. This weekend nice but only for part of both days so I'll give it a 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭highdef

appledrop wrote: »
    I'd give this summer a 5/10. June was woeful the worst I ever remember so that's a 1/10. July was nice here in Dublin, warm not sunny all the time but very little rain. A 7/10. Would have needed a few days of higher temperatures to bring it up. August not good. I hear it was nice first few days but I was away for that + time I had off had torrential rain for 5 days in a row. This weekend nice but only for part of both days so I'll give it a 3.
    1/10 + 7/10 + 3/10 ÷ 3 = 3/10, rounded to the nearest whole number. How did you get 5/10 from your individual ratings for each month?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

"1/10 + 7/10 + 3/10 ÷ 3 = 3/10, rounded to the nearest whole number'

??

It's actually "4"/10 rounded to the nearest whole number.

You have " floored " to arrive at 3 .

The 1 7 and 3 added gives 11. Divide that by 3 is 3.6 repeating.
    In maths you round up if the first digit after the decimal point is 5 or greater.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭appledrop

Relax I know 4 rounded to nearest number but felt that was a bit low so I'm giving it a 5!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Coming up to that time of year again!

lol.. used to be a saying. "Teacher's rest; mother's pest" and vice versa!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Brisk. bright wind out there. A lemon and grey sunrise. Lovely berry picking weather. Enjoyed the small outing along the lane. Season for jamming; sweet familiar routines of these months

West mayo offshore island

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

glorious sunny morning in Arklow
    currently 14.4c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

A rare sunny morning in Letterkenny, lovely :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

On this mornings Radio 1 weather forecast (around 7.30am), Gerry Murphy made the statement:
    "Well as we go through the last week of August, which is the last week of the Irish summer for the purposes of meteorology and climate change..."

Can someone tell me if the last part of that sentence above was a slip of the tongue, or not - if not what can he mean by a season being defined somehow by climate change?

Source: https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21608863
    (First ~10 seconds of audio)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

There seems to be very much a divide in opinion among people in Dublin on this summer. I find it so odd that some are giving it a 4/10. I would that thought 6 at the very least. Each to their own. The disappointing part was that for all the warm weather from July to early August, the max was only 27 degrees. Would have been nice to push for 30 but last summer was a very tough one to follow

Because of how cloudy it was, sure it wasn't the dullest summer ever but it still was dull nonetheless. I personally don't care how warm it is, what matters most to me is sunshine during summer.

It's a clear and sunny and cool 15.5C here this morning. Was cloudy earlier but it has completely cleared.

It rarely gets anywhere near 30 in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

It really was incredible. Felt like I was living in Southern California that summer. Didn’t even have to look at the forecast each day, you just knew the sun and warm weather would keep on coming

Ireland's weather is like Southern California's (or the song version of same anyway) in one material way - when it rains "...Man, it pours.."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Because of how cloudy it was, sure it wasn't the dullest summer ever but it still was dull nonetheless. I personally don't care how warm it is, what matters most to me is sunshine during summer.
    Today is the only day this summer that I can remember that hasn't clouded over by noon after a sunny morning.
    Only 19.4c now and I didn't get above above 20c over the weekend due to sea breezes. It really is unbelievable that the Phoenix Park got up to 25c on Sat as its only a few miles from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Beautiful in Dublin 5 today as seems to be the norm for August 26th recently although I think last year was pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sun didn't arrive until 6pm yesterday and was gone again by 10am this morning. Very depressing considering the sunshine other areas got.

• Advertisement

Today is the only day this summer that I can remember that hasn't clouded over by noon after a sunny morning.
    Only 19.4c now and I didn't get above above 20c over the weekend due to sea breezes. It really is unbelievable that the Phoenix Park got up to 25c on Sat as its only a few miles from me.
    27 June and 3 July didn’t either. 27 June had quite the sea breeze mind you.

Advertisement