Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Marvelous evening after a good day in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

lawred2 wrote: »
    Left North Kerry this morning under blanket cloud and threat of rain.. and car saying 16 degrees

By Limerick it was 22 degrees doing motorway driving according to the car. And blue skies all the way from about Moneygall to Dublin.

I simply could not be doing with the weather down there. Crap all weekend.

We have awful weather here in Kerry and that's a fact. Yet no doubt you'll get people saying it's not really that bad.

Just as in the east coast you have people raving about their marvelous climate, while the reports from others are much more balanced, and from my own experiences of frequent sojourns in Dublin, I tend to heed the latter.

Regardless, home is home, wherever in this island that might be. Not a bad evening here in Tralee, but overcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Fell like I’ve been living on a diff planet the last month looking at majority of posts on here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today was easily the best day of this settled spell with mostly unbroken sunshine since daybreak. temperatures were down on the past few days but we still managed to scrape a respectable 20C. Temperature currently 17C.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I passed a playground at 7:45 this evening full of kids enjoying the last rays of sunshine . Gorgeous day here in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I sometimes notice a kind of chilly dampness in the air when I go west. Hard to explain but I feel it! Definitely slightly different climate to the south east

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

acequion wrote: »
    We have awful weather here in Kerry and that's a fact. Yet no doubt you'll get people saying it's not really that bad.

Just as in the east coast you have people raving about their marvelous climate, while the reports from others are much more balanced, and from my own experiences of frequent sojourns in Dublin, I tend to heed the latter.

Regardless, home is home, wherever in this island that might be. Not a bad evening here in Tralee, but overcast.

Having lived in Cork for twenty or so years and with my sister over in Tralee, I can objectively say that it's definitely drier and more benign up here.

Having said that this summer has been bang average. June and August were crap and July was just about grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Bitterly cold in north county Dublin. I'm just walking through the freezer department of Tesco now, I've had to put my jumper on. :pac::pac::pac:
    Nice evening outside. Very mild with no wind. :)

MidMan25 wrote: »
    You'd want to be sojourning in Dublin at minimum weekly to be in any sort of position to comment on the validity of the weather reports of the people who live there :rolleyes:

As a matter of fact I've been in Dublin at least once a fortnight and sometimes weekly over the past three months so yes I'm very much in a position to comment on Dublin weather having experienced it closely first hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Carol25

I do think there are some posters here who greatly exaggerate the weather on the East as being akin to the South of France, which in my opinion it isn’t. Having been in the East while some of these posts appear on this thread, I do often wonder is the weather and actual conditions more subjective than we realise. A good day to one, is a bad day to another it seems.
    Was in Mayo this morning, and it felt really chilly in the northerly wind. Back to Galway in the afternoon, much warmer and drier. The weeks outlook doesn’t look too great according to Rte just there...

• Advertisement

MidMan25 wrote: »
    You've been there approx. 7-8 days in the past 90? This definitely qualifies you to judge, I'd like to retract my previous statement.

Dublin does happen to be the main hub in and out of this country to far flung parts and I've travelled a lot this summer. Therefore mainly from Dublin airport and on each occasion staying a night or two other side of the trip to catch up with friends there. So no stranger at all to the big smoke! :pac:

Carol25 wrote: »
    I do think there are some posters here who greatly exaggerate the weather on the East as being akin to the South of France, which in my opinion it isn’t. Having been in the East while some of these posts appear on this thread, I do often wonder is the weather and actual conditions more subjective than we realise. A good day to one, is a bad day to another it seems.
    Was in Mayo this morning, and it felt really chilly in the northerly wind. Back to Galway in the afternoon, much warmer and drier. The weeks outlook doesn’t look too great according to Rte just there...

Absolutely Carol but dare we contradict the established narrative that the east coast is some weather haven.

As I've often said east coast weather is much better than Kerry weather. But imo it's nowhere near as good as posters here claim. I find their posts hyperbolic but good on them if they enjoy it. They just need to appreciate that not everybody agrees.

Like I said in my last post I've been up and down to Dublin constantly this summer and generally go often to Dublin anyway. I used to live there and have friends and family there so ya, even if people don't like it, I am actually there often enough to form an opinion.

An opinion, which though subjective, is valid like everybody else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I split my time between my place in North Mayo and the day job in Dublin. For the West I would rate this summer as 3.5/10 - never really got going and we didn't even have our traditional easterly warm spell at the end of May/start of June this year:(

In contrast I would give the East(Dublin Summer) a 7/10 - most of June was poor but it really picked up in July and into August and the last few days have been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Really feeling the evenings closing in now, was already getting dark at 8pm this evening, only feels like a couple of weeks ago when it was still bright at 10 o'clock.

Rain here for the past 90 minutes and watching the forecast just now its not going to get much better for the rest of the week

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Mod Note: Goading and name calling won't be tolerated in any posts. The necessary warnings will be handed out if this line of posting continues. Lets keep it civil going forward.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Really feeling the evenings closing in now, was already getting dark at 8pm this evening, only feels like a couple of weeks ago when it was still bright at 10 o'clock.

Rain here for the past 90 minutes and watching the forecast just now its not going to get much better for the rest of the week

Yes... I'm looking forward to the autumn season. Its my favourite. And I won't be sad to say goodbye to this sticky humid neither here nor there weather.

Not a bad summer, but I've found the nights too warm.

Bring on the crispy mornings and beautiful tree leaves. Time for foraging mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

Overcast all day in Leitrim. At least it never rained. The ground is saturated.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: acequion has received warnings for this line of posting which they were told was not acceptable as it is goading and trolling for negative responses and dragging the thread off topic.

but dare we contradict the established narrative that the east coast is some weather haven.
    But imo it's nowhere near as good as posters here claim. I find their posts hyperbolic but good on them if they enjoy it. They just need to appreciate that not everybody agrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭compsys

Absolutely Carol but dare we contradict the established narrative that the east coast is some weather haven.

As I've often said east coast weather is much better than Kerry weather. But imo it's nowhere near as good as posters here claim. I find their posts hyperbolic but good on them if they enjoy it. They just need to appreciate that not everybody agrees.

Like I said in my last post I've been up and down to Dublin constantly this summer and generally go often to Dublin anyway. I used to live there and have friends and family there so ya, even if people don't like it, I am actually there often enough to form an opinion.

An opinion, which though subjective, is valid like everybody else's.

Statistically the east is warmer, drier and sunnier than the west. That’s just a fact.

This summer has been OK in Dublin by Irish standards and I’m sure the stats will show the east and Dublin in particular had far better weather than the west.

I’ve lost count of the number of days in Dublin where it touched 20 degrees and stayed mostly dry, albeit cloudy, while those further west were drenched and only got to 17 degrees or so.

However I don’t think there are many posters in here claiming that Dublin is the new Costa del Sol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Today has easily the best day since I returned on the 9th!

• Advertisement

Mod Note: acequion has received warnings for this line of posting which they were told was not acceptable as it is goading and trolling for negative responses and dragging the thread off topic.

And acequion is fed up of the totalitarian intolerance of differing opinions and the blatant bullying which goes unpunished on this thread and won't be coming back!

Enjoy!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Carol25 wrote: »

Mod Note: please read the forum charter :

3. If you wish you to challenge someone's views (on the topic of weather) then please question the post, do not just attack poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Blissfully quiet out here after a rambunctious old night. I can even hear a bird singing!

Non stop deluges yesterday and last night. Looking at the rainfall radar is skimmed past all of you... and last night; solved the garden watering need ;)

And a definite chill to the air this morning. Reaching for socks and you can feel the air cold in your lungs.

Like others, love autumn. Serious cleaning going on in small amounts, berries picked, jam in the making. Something healing and right about the changing of the seasons. No trees out here but the flowers show the changes.

Calm, still, chill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Cool, dry, fresh, sun trying to peak through.
    Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Cool, dry, fresh, sun trying to peak through.
    Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Guess what?
    It’s raining in east Galway

Well the mini warm spell is pretty much passed us today - although much of the west enjoyed very little if any of said warm spell..

SE England still breaking records but not sure I'd want that to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

lawred2 wrote: »
    Well the mini warm spell is pretty much passed us today - although much of the west enjoyed very little if any of said warm spell..

SE England still breaking records but not sure I'd want that to be honest

I would. I’d love it tbh.

Meanwhile it’s cloudy and overcast here this morning after 2 lovely days.

I would. I’d love it tbh.

Meanwhile it’s cloudy and overcast here this morning after 2 lovely days.

Something between 25 - 28 would be ideal.. I'd like the novelty of 33 I suppose but not for too long..

But what we got these last few days was nothing to get overly excited about...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rain.

Advertisement